Are the Heat tanking?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#41 » by Flash3 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:21 pm

MalReyn wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

And when you pick solely based on BPA you end up with what the Hawks did in Marvin Williams.....
Touche.
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
L&H_05
RealGM
And1: 94

Post#42 » by L&H_05 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:30 pm

And when you pick solely based on BPA you end up with what the Hawks did in Marvin Williams.....
Except the consensus at the time was Chris Paul was the best player in that draft.. And the Hawks needed a PG..

Please don't pay any mind to what the Hawks do... They're clearly Clippers east.

Using the Hawks as a barometer is poor.
Carmelo22
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#43 » by Carmelo22 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:02 am

they are doing so bad that i would like to believe that they are tanking. But thats to hard for me to accept
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,715

Re: Are the Heat tanking? 

Post#44 » by Nate505 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:16 am

crzyyafrican wrote:I know Miami is not a good basketball team, but 8-31 on a team that has Dwayne Wade---a top 10 player?

Shaq has two consecutive huge games upon returning and then only plays 23 minutes against the Knicks?

So this is a legitimate question. Are the Heat tanking on purpose?

No, they just suck.

Maybe they need to retire another legendary player's number that never played for the team. That should pick them up.
shaqfan1
General Manager
And1: 4

Post#45 » by shaqfan1 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:37 am

Nate505 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

No, they just suck.

Maybe they need to retire another legendary player's number that never played for the team. That should pick them up.

Are you mad because we retired Jordan's number instead of Malone's. It's okay, you don't have to be mad at the Heat. We reitred his number because he's the GOAT, not because he repeatedly beat the Utah Jazz in the Finals.
DuckIII wrote:All 3 of them joining forces in Miami is the NBA's worst nightmare (shared by TNT, ABC, and ESPN)...it is a simple, irrefutable fact, that Wade/LeBron/Bosh in Miami is pretty much the worst possible result from a business perspective.
Cevap
Banned User

Post#46 » by Cevap » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:50 am

shaqfan1 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Are you mad because we retired Jordan's number instead of Malone's. It's okay, you don't have to be mad at the Heat. We reitred his number because he's the GOAT, not because he repeatedly beat the Utah Jazz in the Finals.

that's the silliest thing i've ever seen btw.
Nate505
RealGM

Post#47 » by Nate505 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:41 am

You confuse 'mad' with 'laughing at stupidity.'

Typically teams retire numbers of players that played for that team. A concept far beyond Miami's grasp, apparenlty, as they have only retired one number.....for a guy who not only never played for their team, but repeadetly beat them in the playoffs.
Mateen Cleaves
Head Coach
And1: 3

Post#48 » by Mateen Cleaves » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:50 am

I think they are, they play good for most of the game. Someone check how many times they have had a good lead going into the 4th quarter then just randomly lose games that look to be theirs. They are tanking just so they get that #1 pick but they wont get it. They will get screwed just like the Celtics did last year.
shaqfan1
General Manager
And1: 4

Post#49 » by shaqfan1 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:54 am

You confuse 'mad' with 'laughing at stupidity.'

Typically teams retire numbers of players that played for that team. A concept far beyond Miami's grasp, apparenlty, as they have only retired one number.....for a guy who not only never played for their team, but repeadetly beat them in the playoffs.

We retired Jordan's number because we want to honor him as the best player to ever play this game, a concept that far beyond Jazz fans grasp as they are still sore from the championships he took away from them. What's so wrong with honoring the best player to play the game? I think you don't think there's anything wrong with it. What gets to you is the player that the Miami heat are honoring. That's they only reason you object to it.
DuckIII wrote:All 3 of them joining forces in Miami is the NBA's worst nightmare (shared by TNT, ABC, and ESPN)...it is a simple, irrefutable fact, that Wade/LeBron/Bosh in Miami is pretty much the worst possible result from a business perspective.
RJM
General Manager
And1: 2,266

Post#50 » by RJM » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:35 am

prorl wrote:They are not tanking. They just really really suck.
Nate505
RealGM

Post#51 » by Nate505 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:41 am

We retired Jordan's number because we want to honor him as the best player to ever play this game, a concept that far beyond Jazz fans grasp as they are still sore from the championships he took away from them. What's so wrong with honoring the best player to play the game? I think you don't think there's anything wrong with it. What gets to you is the player that the Miami heat are honoring. That's they only reason you object to it.

No, if they would have retired Magic's or Bird's or KAJ's number it would have been just as stupid.

Notice 28 other teams in the leauge have not done anything so stupid. Apparently, the concept is far beyond most teams' grasp as well. I don't even think the Wizards have yet and he actually played for them.
J~Rush
Head Coach
And1: 28

Post#52 » by J~Rush » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:57 am

No, if they would have retired Magic's or Bird's or KAJ's number it would have been just as stupid.

Notice 28 other teams in the leauge have not done anything so intelligent. Apparently, the concept is far beyond most teams' grasp as well. I don't even think the Wizards have yet and he actually played for them.

+1
e
Griever24
Pro Prospect

Post#53 » by Griever24 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:01 am

J~Rush wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

+1

+2
crzy
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#54 » by crzy » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:48 am

I have to agree. The Heat retiring Jordan's number is silly.

It would be like if some random team like the Carolina Panthers retired Jerry Rice's number. :dontknow:
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,099

Post#55 » by Warspite » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:47 am

But Wilt wore 13 not 23....

If you want to honor Wilt(the best player to ever play) why retire MJs jersey??
kbitboc
Pro Prospect
And1: 575

Post#56 » by kbitboc » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:20 am

Warspite wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

But Wilt wore 13 not 23....

If you want to honor Wilt(the best player to ever play) why retire MJs jersey??

Same reason why Wade's first name is Dwyane instead of Dwayne.
Myth_Breaker
Lead Assistant
And1: 58

Post#57 » by Myth_Breaker » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:47 pm

a-rod wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

let him say whatever he wants DaGoodz argument doesn't have solid ground, because wade took the heat to the second round in the playoffs in his rookie season with lamar odom as side kick. i don't think he will have something to say about that.

Funny that YOU speak of quality of arguments considering you're talking from your behind calling 2003/04 Odom "Wade's sidekick": that season BOTH Odom and Butler were more important for the Heat than Wade, and even taking into account he stepped up in the playoffs, we may at most declare all 3 of them overall EQUALLY important.

As to other issues:
1) I agree Heat aren't tanking now: they are that bad, worse than their talent.
2) Honoring Jordan's jersey... well, it's hard to think of dumber move in the whole league's history, even not taking into consideration how stupid jersey model Miami people chose.
http://wiltfan.tripod.com
Read: Edward Lucas "The New Cold War: Putin's Russia and the Threat to the West".
"So what, son, did your Poles help you?" YES, WE DID!
***** *** Kukiza i KonfederacjÄ™!
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,201

Post#58 » by BBallFreak » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:51 pm

Butler was not more important to the Heat than Wade was. Butler was my favorite player on that team, but that's just a fallacy. You could make an argument that EJ and Grant were as important as Wade, but not Butler.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,527

Post#59 » by Worm Guts » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:18 pm

Marvin Williams isn't better than Chris Paul. The best player available philosophy only works when you actually take the best player available.
RockTHECasbah
Lead Assistant
And1: 10

Post#60 » by RockTHECasbah » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:22 pm

The Heat are tanking
and Wade is wanking
and Riley is thanking
the gods for Shaq-ing?
Know anyone who is disabled? has an addiction?
HandyTax - Your Canadian Disability Tax Credit Consultants
http://www.handytax.ca

Return to The General Board