Should the Nets go for it? (Merged Threads)

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

shaqfan1
General Manager
And1: 4

Post#21 » by shaqfan1 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:31 pm

What difference would it make if they did or didn't do the trade? They'll be stuck in the same exact place they've been stuck in for 5 years: mediocrity.
DuckIII wrote:All 3 of them joining forces in Miami is the NBA's worst nightmare (shared by TNT, ABC, and ESPN)...it is a simple, irrefutable fact, that Wade/LeBron/Bosh in Miami is pretty much the worst possible result from a business perspective.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#22 » by miller31time » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:34 pm

jeremy1215 wrote:Pacers do this even without Marcus Williams.

Wouldn't that mean an extremely reduced role for one of two players who are having career years (Granger, Dunleavy)?

Sure, it's still a huge upgrade over either player, but it seems like an unnecessary upgrade, IMHO.
jeremy1215
Banned User

Post#23 » by jeremy1215 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:40 pm

miller31time wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Wouldn't that mean an extremely reduced role for one of two players who are having career years (Granger, Dunleavy)?

Sure, it's still a huge upgrade over either player, but it seems like an unnecessary upgrade, IMHO.
This would be our rotation.. we stay with small ball...

Tinsley/Diener/Daniels
Carter/Rush/Daniels
Granger/Daniels/Williams
Dunleavy/Williams/Murphy
Maggy/Murphy/Foster

Thats a dangerous team..
shaqfan1
General Manager

Post#24 » by shaqfan1 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:43 pm

jeremy1215 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Tinsley/Diener/Daniels
Carter/Rush/Daniels
Granger/Daniels/Williams
Dunleavy/Williams/Murphy
Maggy/Murphy/Foster

Thats a dangerous team..

I think sarcasm is supposed to be green.
DuckIII wrote:All 3 of them joining forces in Miami is the NBA's worst nightmare (shared by TNT, ABC, and ESPN)...it is a simple, irrefutable fact, that Wade/LeBron/Bosh in Miami is pretty much the worst possible result from a business perspective.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#25 » by miller31time » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:46 pm

jeremy1215 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Tinsley/Diener/Daniels
Carter/Rush/Daniels
Granger/Daniels/Williams
Dunleavy/Williams/Murphy
Maggy/Murphy/Foster

Thats a dangerous team..

Well, it's sort of dangerous on offense. Positions 1-4 are all run and gun players, but Jamaal Magloire stifles a fast-paced offense. He's slow, plodding and can't throw a pebble in the ocean.

On defense, it's dangerous in all the wrong ways. I know O'Brien is a good defensive coach, but even he couldn't save that team.
Birth of the Cool
Analyst
And1: 1,446

Post#26 » by Birth of the Cool » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:47 pm

any VC discussion will bring on the +1 posters with their one liners...he's like the Hillary Clinton of basketball. Luckily there have been some decent posts here for a real discussion...

Anyways, the Nets definitely need two things to BEGIN WITH for their miserable offense:
1) C or PF with a legit post game
2) Consistent Perimeter Shooter

Now Jermaine does have a back-to-the-basket game but he will just as likely face up to initiate his offense. For a big his career FG% is closer to that of a swingman. His FT shooting is also average (which Nets already have a problem with for bigmen unless Boone really has been helped by Kiki). When healthy he can grab you 10 rebounds per night but so can Boone / SWat. I think what Jermaine can bring the Nets is a solid post defender which Boone / SWat are still trying to learn. Jermaine would also balance the 'star' lineup so instead of all 'small position' stars that tends to lend to perimeter play they get a big that in theory they can play inside-out with (ala Boston).

All that being said Jermaine also has never played an entire season (VC has just this past year) and has been injury prone the last 3 years so do you roll the dice on this type of player for a VC type player (now & for the next 3 years at least).

Since VC is downgraded so much on this board many would but if I'm Thorn no way. If you can get Pau (I think VC would be enticing to them...) then that's a far better fit and at this time a better player than Jermaine also.

You can't underestimate Marcus Williams also. He had a huge game last night & still shows promise (only 2nd year). Are you going to give up a 25/5/5 scoring punch + a your young PG for Jermaine...I somehow can't believe Thorn would even suggest this trade. These are the type of offers Thorn makes if he's on Indiana Mgmt.

I'm more interested in the Shaq / RJ+ rumour. Not sure if Shaq would fit with this lousy ball movement/perimeter shooting team but it is more intriguing.

Indiana is also 1 game behind the Nets right now so that has to be considered slightly.

I still say Nets play out this Westcoast trip & Nets Mgmt then make a decision on how to go. If they can get a big for RJ+ that to me is the far better choice but if they can get a running/athletic star big (Pau) for VC that too would fit for the Nets.
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#27 » by NetsForce » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:49 pm

VC's defense really isn't that bad... The numbers bear it out...
MagicFan3
Banned User
And1: 19

Nets willing to give Carter for JO? 

Post#28 » by MagicFan3 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:38 am

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi ... for_oneal/

Have they lost their mind? I hope this isn't a credible rumor, because the Nets would be getting it pretty hard there.
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#29 » by NetsForce » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:48 am

Same here... Well it's not that I'm against giving up Carter for O'neal, it's definitely a HUGE gamble but it could help solver their defensive woes if O'neal can stay healthy but... I wouldn't want to give up Carter AND Marcus Williams for JO, there's just too much risk involved with JO, Carter is playing better than JO this season as well so I don't see why the Nets would have to trade an all-star caliber player AND a young prospect for an injury prone former all-star who no one can get a proper read on.

More than anything I guess I want the Nets to do something because they definitely need change / an infusion of new players but I don't want them to make a trade just for the sake of making a trade...
RTM
RealGM
And1: 173

Post#30 » by RTM » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:56 am

I think the Nets SHOULD make this trade, provided they can keep Williams. They aren't going anywhere with the Kidd/VC/RJ trio, and alongside Kidd, there is a real possibility that JO can have a bit of a comeback (assuming he can stay healthy). I think his size, defense and ability to score in the post make him far more important to the success of the Nets then VC's 20 points and occasional big games do.

And if the trade proves a bust, at least JO expires a year before (though if that's the case, losing Marcus Williams would be the worst thing they could do).
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,720

Post#31 » by G35 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:03 am

I think having Kidd can help JO get some easier baskets in transition. JO can provide some interior defense and teamed with Williams really make it hard on teams to penetrate. I like it if JO is healthy, a big if.........
I'm so tired of the typical......
thierry
Lead Assistant
And1: 649

Post#32 » by thierry » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:18 am

I'd rather trade Jefferson than Carter as a Nets fan.
Bowens
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 1

Post#33 » by Bowens » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:21 am

G35 wrote:I think having Kidd can help JO get some easier baskets in transition. JO can provide some interior defense and teamed with Williams really make it hard on teams to penetrate. I like it if JO is healthy, a big if.........

Provided JO can keep up and get down the court which I highly doubt.
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#34 » by Vindicater » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:21 am

Id take Oneal over carter any day of the week if i was the nets, maybe not on some other teams butoneal fits the nets alot more then vince does
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
jzmagik
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#35 » by jzmagik » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:21 am

thierry wrote:I'd rather trade Jefferson than Carter as a Nets fan.
Alex_De_Large
Lead Assistant
And1: 45

Post#36 » by Alex_De_Large » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:31 am

this would be good for both teams, fresh start for these 2 superstar players.
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,513

Post#37 » by ropjhk » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:48 am

Nets should be able to get more than that from the Pacers.
About_Blank
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#38 » by About_Blank » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:57 am

The Nets should trade RJ for Oneal, Carter is much better all around player than RJ , He would fit very well with JO,
Lockdown
RealGM
And1: 1,499

Post#39 » by Lockdown » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:20 am

So the Pacers trade Artest for Peja and JO for Vince? Are there any more injury prone wing players they can make pointless trades for?
telele
Junior
And1: 0

Post#40 » by telele » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:15 am

Lockdown wrote:So the Pacers trade Artest for Peja and JO for Vince? Are there any more injury prone wing players they can make pointless trades for?

Still miss VC eh :)

Return to The General Board