Should Heat be taken off National TV? (merged threads)

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

L&H_05
RealGM
And1: 94

Post#41 » by L&H_05 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:48 am

This reminds me when the Kings were on national TV every other game a year or so ago...

Musselman-ball just never took off like the NBA's top brass had hoped..
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#42 » by NetsForce » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:27 pm

Success!

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/story/388470.html

Although ESPN has dropped the Heat's Feb. 1 game against New Jersey from its national TV broadcast, the team likely will keep the game's 8 p.m. start time intact rather than change it to the normal 7:30 p.m. start for home games.

The network also has informed the team of its plans to drop the April 4 game at Washington. The Heat still has 10 nationally broadcast games on its schedule.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#43 » by Flash3 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:32 pm

Sub-Zero wrote:The heat are embarassing and the NBA putting them on tv is even more embarassing, give the blazers, hornets, warriors and raptors some nationally televised games no more heat or bulls or cavs
the average fan can't name more than 2/3 players from the blazers or warriors, for example.

but they do know who LeBron, Wade & Shaq are...

that's why these teams continue to be on TV.
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
NYKnick87
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#44 » by NYKnick87 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:45 pm

Although ESPN has dropped the Heat's Feb. 1 game against New Jersey from its national TV broadcast, the team likely will keep the game's 8 p.m. start time intact rather than change it to the normal 7:30 p.m. start for home games.

The network also has informed the team of its plans to drop the April 4 game at Washington. The Heat still has 10 nationally broadcast games on its schedule.

:cry:
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,597

Post#45 » by NCHeels2008 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:13 pm

Flash3 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

the average fan can't name more than 2/3 players from the blazers or warriors, for example.

but they do know who LeBron, Wade & Shaq are...

that's why these teams continue to be on TV.

and as long as the nba sees it this way, casual fans/non fans will have an ever growing dislike for the nba. the league has an unprecedented opportunity this year to push the team concept, the shoe companies have started to, to a degree. With the Celtics, Pistons and the top 6 in the West Phoenix, New Orleans,LA Lakers, Portland, Dallas, San Antonio are all teams (which feels crazy to say about the Lakers). And all except for San Antonio are up tempo teams.
The league is pissing away its chance to change it perception as a me and individual first league into a team league again. When you tie your fortunes to individuals you have things like this season happen. If the NBA could just get off the hype machine on individuals and put the focus on great TEAMS we would get to see more entertaining basketball and the NBA would at least have a chance of becoming more popular.
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#46 » by JellosJigglin » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:00 pm

Wasn't Lebron in the lowest rated Finals ever? I don't think it's about marketing, it's about entertainment. The name might draw viewers in for the opening tip, but then you see drastic fall in ratings for the rest of the game. People want to watch good teams more than good players.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
Harry Heinous
Banned User
Location: MIAMI. Home of the champion HEAT * CANES * DOLPHINS * MARLINS

Post#47 » by Harry Heinous » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:23 pm

JellosJigglin wrote:Wasn't Lebron in the lowest rated Finals ever? I don't think it's about marketing, it's about entertainment. The name might draw viewers in for the opening tip, but then you see drastic fall in ratings for the rest of the game. People want to watch good teams more than good players.

Well, I think it's the networks more than anyone, who demand "superstars". I mean, there's gotta be a reason why it's like this year after year.

But I totally agree, and would prefer to watch great teams over great players. When it's a combination of those both, as Shaq and Wade used to be, then it's all good. [/i]
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,470

Post#48 » by Ballings7 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:44 pm

Like others and I have already said...

Individual-ism needs to be less emphasized. There's more and better reason for more team-oriented reasons why games are put on cable/nat. TV.

The casual fan is just flawed if they just want to see one or two players, and not good, exciting, enjoyable basketball from more of a team-stand-point. Along with the individual(s) part, but as an underlying factor. Both should appeal.

"Oh, that was nice passing/ball movement (not going to include non-block defense because it's looked as health food by many people)/move to the basket/alley-oops/fast-break execution......... Yeah!! dunks! blocks! threes! crazy move to the hoop! by (big-name star)"

NetsForce wrote:Although ESPN has dropped the Heat's Feb. 1 game against New Jersey from its national TV broadcast, the team likely will keep the game's 8 p.m. start time intact rather than change it to the normal 7:30 p.m. start for home games.

It's a start - but obviously some more need to be taken off for it to be a significant effort. Doing just two is half-assing it.

:)
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
Cevap
Banned User

Post#49 » by Cevap » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:54 pm

maybe they should replace the heat games with a HORSE competition involving D League players....just a thought
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Re: Shouldn't the Heat be taken off National TV? 

Post#50 » by JordansBulls » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:26 am

eagles nut wrote:I can understand having them on occasionally, but the Heat are just plain bad this year and it seems like they're on ESPN or TNT all the freaking time. Can't the league change the national game? Give a team like Portland or even Washington/Atlanta more play?

Totally agree.

Here is the rest of the schedule for the Miami Heat for the season and for a team that is 8-32 they are and have been on National TV (TNT, ESPN) quite a bit this season.

Miami Heat Schedule Season

They have 4 games scheduled for ABC, 5 games for TNT, 5 games for NBA TV. This team should not be getting coverage like that. They need to be replaced with a team like New Orleans who has no games on National TV for the year.

New Orleans Schedule Season
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,826

Post#51 » by Klomp » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:48 am

JellosJigglin wrote:Wasn't Lebron in the lowest rated Finals ever? I don't think it's about marketing, it's about entertainment. The name might draw viewers in for the opening tip, but then you see drastic fall in ratings for the rest of the game. People want to watch good teams more than good players.

Yes it was. However, you cannot blame it on LeBron. If LeBron was not in it (hypothetical) the ratings would've been far worse.

Why? First, both SA and CLE are small markets. Second, neither team has ever played "exciting" basketball. Third, the Spurs were in it. I think I read somewhere that the 5 lowest Finals' have been in the last 6 years, with the Spurs being in 3 of them.

However, I still think there is a problem in how the NBA markets its product. Ever since Michael Jordan, the NBA has been starving for superstars and will do whatever it takes to get who they think are the best players on TV, regardless of how bad a team they are on. Shaq for the last 3-4 years has always been the name NBA is trying to market, which is why theres more Heat games. Same goes for Kobe, Dirk, Nash, and a lot of the older stars.

If the league does continue this, they should market some of the younger up and coming talents like: Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Al Jefferson, Dwight Howard, Chris Bosh, LeBron, Carmelo, etc. They've started with some of the bigger names, but should continue the process. A casual viewer probably wouldn't think the Hornets are very good because the league hardly markets them. However, its quite the contrary.

What I ultimately think they should do, however, is show more fundamental basketball teams like Utah, SA, etc. It is honestly for the benefit of the league down the road. Kids watching games will only try to emulate the fancy plays, dunks, alleyoops, etc. because that is being shown. Thats why there are kids drafted who have tons of athletic ability, but little to no basketball talent (ie Gerald Green, Ndudi Ebi, etc)

The reason the NBA has a poor schedule and poor ratings is because of its poor marketing strategy. Period.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
The_Believer
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#52 » by The_Believer » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:56 am

Why are the Bulls on national TV then? They're not a big market team and they don't have any stars.
Also, whoever said that the "other" teams don't have more than 2-3 players on them, nobody can name a heat/cavs player except for bron, wade, and shaq. Every team only has 1-2 stars, and everyone else is pretty much unknown to casual fans.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,826

Post#53 » by Klomp » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:00 am

The_Believer wrote:Why are the Bulls on national TV then? They're not a big market team and they don't have any stars.

You're right, theyre only in the 3rd biggest media market in the US behind NYC and LA, but they aren't in a big market.

San Antonio is 37th, with only 3 NBA teams in smaller markets. Cleveland is 17th. Interesting that Miami is only 16th though
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#54 » by MagicFan32 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:33 am

It makes me sick when the heat and cavs play all it is, wade/lebron lebron/wade wade lebron etc etc etc, it's total overkill.

I used to respect TNT alot more but their lineup is the same all the time. The NBA needs to schedule more Thursday games, and they shouldn't allow Magic Johnson on their with his Lakers agenda be so prominent when he's there.

Atleast ESPN is changing SOME games but I want to see teams like the Hornets more just to see if Chris Paul really is an MVP caliber guy you know..
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,487

Post#55 » by durden_tyler » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:36 am

Can they do that? Change the sched?
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
Dutch Michigan
Senior
And1: 116

Post#56 » by Dutch Michigan » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:26 pm

Their own 'fans' don't bother to come to their home games anymore. And i see why.

10 more games to go, i won't be watching them. And get rid of that pathetic Miami announcer too, it's just awful.
Fetchez la vache !
Howard+Nelson
Sixth Man

Post#57 » by Howard+Nelson » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:34 pm

another heat game on tonight..another game i wont be watching.
HumbleBumbleBee
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#58 » by HumbleBumbleBee » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:42 pm

come to canada...we dont have espn or tnt
Got Raps FanFiction?
Yankee
Junior

NBA paying the price for their lovefest with the Heat? 

Post#59 » by Yankee » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:02 pm

How many time do we have to see 8-32 miami heat playing on national television? This the equivalent of seeing NBC coverage of the "mighty" Notre Dame fighting Irish every saturday.

I know the scheduale is set, but they should throw more games on nights that they are going to do national tv so they can choose a better game.

If the NBA keeps this up they will be NHL like in television ratings soon.

I rather see the hornets and trailblazers than the pathetic heat and somewhat pathetic cavs every week.
“Let me ask you this: The Secretary General of the U.N. was sitting near me. Do we fire him because we don’t have world peace? I mean, come on.” -Rev. Al Sharpton on Isiah
Yankee
Junior

Post#60 » by Yankee » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:05 pm

my bad, I didn't see the other discussion.
“Let me ask you this: The Secretary General of the U.N. was sitting near me. Do we fire him because we don’t have world peace? I mean, come on.” -Rev. Al Sharpton on Isiah

Return to The General Board