san antonio calls & refs

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

sweetlou23
Bench Warmer
And1: 55

san antonio calls & refs 

Post#1 » by sweetlou23 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:42 pm

The post was not only about the heat san antonio game. It was about san antonio getting calls in crunch time in general. Its hard for me to see how san antonio gets the majority of these calls. I know its not my imagination. I do not think its a conspiracy as much it is the combination of the spurs reputation, their method of fouling (i.e. bowen's hand on wade's hip preventing any elevation). It would be different if they called it both ways but they dont. I know people do not want to hear complaints about NBA refs. But i have to call it like i see it.
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#2 » by damo[23] » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:53 pm

I think its called "respect".

But I really think ref's now days dont call what they see, they call what they think probably happened and what they assumed has happed [not just basketball, every sport I watch I see this happening].

In thise case, if this is the case, then ref's, by human nature, assume the "better player" or "better teams" will have gotten their way "cleanly" or if they got stopped it had to be a foul etc..

This is only a small part of what I think is flawed in ref'ing now days, but every game I watch [football / basketball / rugby] I cant stop but say to people "that ref has just assumed".
triplet1984
General Manager
And1: 177

Post#3 » by triplet1984 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:00 pm

Most of the stuff, especially in the lane, aside from the really obvious rough stuff, happens too fast for the refs to see on first glance. They don't have replay, and most of the time they just sort of "guess" what probably happened based on body reactions. This is how Wade got all those phantom BS fouls. They just assumed he was fouled. This is sort of the same thing at work, because the spurs are great defensively, unless they see something obvious they're just assuming the Spurs defended well.
Rust In Peace
Junior
And1: 65

Post#4 » by Rust In Peace » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:17 pm

hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,562

Post#5 » by hermes » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:23 pm

the refs call them how they see them
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,161

Post#6 » by Heat3 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:36 pm

Just like superstars get the calls, "superstar teams" get them too. Like an aura in warcraft, the role players suddenly become better and are able to get away with more.....just ask the Patriots lol.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

Magz50
Head Coach
And1: 114

Post#7 » by Magz50 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:37 pm

It's quite laughable this topic is made, the Spurs have been getting just as many bad calls against them in crunch time. See Cleveland game from last week. D wade had just as many phantom calls go his way last night too, see: invisible Vaughn foul and no call on the manu charge. It all evens out in the end.
Griever24
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#8 » by Griever24 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:54 pm

Im not one to complain about losing a game because of the refs but i will point out the top 2 teams this year i see getting favorable calls most the time, that would be the San antonio Spurs and Cleveland Cavaliers

dont get all offended just my opinion as far as the games i watched
Heatmagic84
Bench Warmer
And1: 29

Post#9 » by Heatmagic84 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:00 pm

The best moment was when Manu dribbled the ball to the post. Picked up his dribble, then started dribbling again before hitting Duncan for the jumpshot.
"Fallen soldiers my homies lay in caskets
They couldn't survive the Heat just like the Mavericks"
T.Duncan21
Junior
And1: 1

Post#10 » by T.Duncan21 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:22 pm

Give me a break... If anything, MIA shouldn't be getting any calls for the next 10 years just to make up for the past 2 years. The reason they even won a friggin ring was because of that **** foul that Wade drew at the end of game 3.

There are always blown calls that go both ways... it's just that crappier teams like to complain about them moreso than others. I've seen the Spurs get screwed so many times because of bad calls. Every team in the NBA thinks they lose because of officiating. Bad officiating is part of the NBA and it's up to teams to figure out what they can and cannot get away with. Tim Duncan got thrown out of a game for laughing on the bench and then got challenged to a friggin fight by a stupid official... u think he was biased towards the Spurs? How many times have Wade/Tmac/Vince/Peirce/KG got thrown out for something like that?
Heat3
RealGM

Post#11 » by Heat3 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:41 pm

T.Duncan21 wrote:Give me a break... If anything, MIA shouldn't be getting any calls for the next 10 years just to make up for the past 2 years. The reason they even won a friggin ring was because of that **** foul that Wade drew at the end of game 3.

There are always blown calls that go both ways... it's just that crappier teams like to complain about them moreso than others. I've seen the Spurs get screwed so many times because of bad calls. Every team in the NBA thinks they lose because of officiating. Bad officiating is part of the NBA and it's up to teams to figure out what they can and cannot get away with. Tim Duncan got thrown out of a game for laughing on the bench and then got challenged to a friggin fight by a stupid official... u think he was biased towards the Spurs? How many times have Wade/Tmac/Vince/Peirce/KG got thrown out for something like that?

Game 3? When heat came back from 13 down? Wrong game. Either way since when does 1 foul equate 4 straight wins?? Come with a better bash next time.
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#12 » by HarlemHeat37 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:28 pm

first of all, the Spurs aren't even #1 in getting calls anymore..Boston is..but that's just how the NBA is..SA gets calls, LA gets calls, Phoenix gets calls, Dallas gets calls, Detroit gets calls..reputation plays a big part in reffing..

the NBA is BY FAR the most difficult sport to ref..the game moves extremely fast, and you don't have the luxury of being able to challenge a play..

the Spurs just get hated on extra because we're the best franchise in the NBA..Lebron gets calls all the time, Wade gets calls all the time..that's just how the NBA is..
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,730

Post#13 » by Duffman100 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:41 pm

I watched the game last night, and the Heat just choked, plain and simple.

Spurs didn't get too many calls. On the last play, Wade had Blount WIDE open but chose not to pass it to him and instead, challenge 4 guys. Not too often you're getting that call.
manchambo
Starter
And1: 836

Post#14 » by manchambo » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:46 pm

I've said before that, although Duncan obviously is a great player, a lot of players would look pretty good if the refs (i) never called over-the-back on them and (ii) called about 1 in 3 of the defensive fouls they actually commit.

Not saying that it's anything new, or that he's the only one who gets superstar treatment, but it really is a sad element of the game.

(Incidentally, I see a very similar thing go on with my team, the Nuggets. Kenyon Martin has a reputation as a good-great post defender, and he therefore hardly ever gets called for stripping the ball down low. Nene, on the other hand, does not have such a reputation, and he can do exactly the same thing and get called practically every time.)
Teen Girl Squad
Head Coach
And1: 2,992

Post#15 » by Teen Girl Squad » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:07 pm

Its not that the spurs 'get calls' more than I think the refs (espeically at home) tend to call the game in favor of the home team. ie with the spurs theyll let the game be more physical. WIth PNX, not so much.
BooRadley
Head Coach
And1: 205

Post#16 » by BooRadley » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:36 pm

I don't know why fans of teams care what people think about them getting calls. If I was a Heat fan, I'd be screaming for joy about the calls we got and how we got a championship out of it. Who cares? You're just delusional if you think you don't get calls and you actually deserve free throws.

I'm a Warriors fans, and we get a ton of calls. After being on the back burner for the last 13 years we get to reach in and hack away with steals. Thats our MO. Refs anticipate us getting the clean reach.
LyMinh
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Post#17 » by LyMinh » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:20 pm

Spurs are the new Lakers
maradro
Senior
And1: 357

Post#18 » by maradro » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:30 pm

as far as over the backs, i dont think ive seen that called once all season, and i'd say only about half the games i ve seen are spurs games. was talking about that with a friend its like the rule doesnt exist anymore.

as for the spurs getting the "laker treatment", i dont think so. teams like dallas and phoenix who rely on jumpers routinely come into our homecourt and shoot 3 to 4 times as many FTs as us. the last play of the game last night looked like it probably was a foul, but like someone else said, when you drive into four people at the end of the game, refs probably wont bail you out. Nobody bailed us out when dirk hacked duncan at the end of game 7 in 06.
Heat3
RealGM

Post#19 » by Heat3 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:44 pm

BooRadley wrote:I don't know why fans of teams care what people think about them getting calls. If I was a Heat fan, I'd be screaming for joy about the calls we got and how we got a championship out of it. Who cares? You're just delusional if you think you don't get calls and you actually deserve free throws.

I'm a Warriors fans, and we get a ton of calls. After being on the back burner for the last 13 years we get to reach in and hack away with steals. Thats our MO. Refs anticipate us getting the clean reach.

So no free throws are deserved??? It's not like all heat players get the benefit of the doubt. During the playoff run all the BS offensive foul calls on Shaq balanced out whatever Wade was getting.
BooRadley
Head Coach
And1: 205

Post#20 » by BooRadley » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:51 pm

Yes Shaq didn't get away with lowering his shoulder and running people over cuz he was no longer mobile.

And I'm talking about questionable calls. Everyone would want them to go in favor of their team. There's a reason they're questionable. Nobody can say they deserved all of them trying to justify 26 free throws a game by one player.

Return to The General Board