Moons Dunk - Generating hype or do you think its possible?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,043

Post#121 » by jazzfan1971 » Wed Feb 6, 2008 7:04 am

I guess I'm gullible, but, I see no reason to doubt this video as authentic.

I imagine there was a time when people would have said it was IMPOSSIBLE to high jump anything higher than your height.

Well, the impossible often happens in sports. Records are broken, shattered even sometimes.

Could it be fake? Surely. Is it possible, I think so. We'll see come the competition.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,439

Post#122 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Feb 6, 2008 1:09 pm

Heat3 wrote:BS video. How convenient that it points down for such an improbable dunk. It has viral marketing written all over it to me. I also think the rim may not be 10' high either lol

Yes, because it's clearly in the NBA's best interests to generate a ton of hype in order to completely disappoint everyone when the contest does happen.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
peralta
Bench Warmer
And1: 894

Post#123 » by peralta » Wed Feb 6, 2008 2:21 pm

if he faked the last dunk, he just hurt his chances with the fans to vote for him...I don't think he is stupid enough to pull something like that...dunk contests had been lame after VC won in 2000, the way J.Moon grabbed that rebound (my avatar) there is no doubt he'll leap a foot behind the foul line
Jordan23Forever
General Manager
And1: 54

Post#124 » by Jordan23Forever » Wed Feb 6, 2008 3:27 pm

peralta wrote:if he faked the last dunk, he just hurt his chances with the fans to vote for him...I don't think he is stupid enough to pull something like that...dunk contests had been lame after VC won in 2000, the way J.Moon grabbed that rebound (my avatar) there is no doubt he'll leap a foot behind the foul line

That was more like 2.5-3 feet behind the line.
Quiet-Storm
Lead Assistant
And1: 2

Post#125 » by Quiet-Storm » Wed Feb 6, 2008 4:10 pm

Jordan23Forever wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

That was more like 2.5-3 feet behind the line.

Have you ever been on a basketball court? Do you know how big the free throw circle is? That was one foot behind the line not 2.5-3 feet.

Overall it may be possible. I mean J-white did a between the lugs dunk after he took off from the free throw line with his foot on the line. So a one handed barely squeeze it in dunk may be possible for Moon who is such an explosive dunk with great height and not too bulked down with muscle like guys like J-Rich.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#126 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Feb 6, 2008 4:13 pm

Quiet-Storm wrote:Have you ever been on a basketball court? Do you know how big the free throw circle is? That was one foot behind the line not 2.5-3 feet.

It has an outside radius of 6 feet. That's from the middle of the free throw line to the outside edge of the paint of the circle. So if he was a little less than halfway between the line and the top of the circle (via the picture on the first page), it would be ~2.5-3 feet.

Edit: looking at the picture again, I'd say ~2 feet from his toes to the line. That probably makes it about a 15' horizontal jump (I think, that could be off a bit), and with his 8'7'' standing reach he'd have to be at least ~a foot and a half in the air (if he was in the standing reach measurement pose) by the time he got to the rim. Can Jamario Moon make it only halfway to the world long jump record, and still be a foot and a half in the air? I think it's plausible.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Quiet-Storm
Lead Assistant

Post#127 » by Quiet-Storm » Wed Feb 6, 2008 4:28 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

It has an outside radius of 6 feet. That's from the middle of the free throw line to the outside edge of the paint of the circle. So if he was a little less than halfway between the line and the top of the circle (via the picture on the first page), it would be ~2.5-3 feet.

Edit: looking at the picture again, I'd say ~2 feet from his toes to the line. That probably makes it about a 12' horizontal jump (I think, that could be off a bit), and with his 8'7'' standing reach he'd have to be at least ~a foot and a half in the air (if he was in the standing reach measurement pose) by the time he got to the rim.

Wasn't insinuating the distance is not 6 feet. What I meant is that he didnt look half way down the circle in the video. I completely forgot to check the freezeshot i took when he jumped. When I look at it, it actually does look a little bit under half way. So that would make it 2.5-3. (Apologies to Jordan23Forever).

Moon is either going to be a legend or a complete fool for making us anticipate it.

What I'm wondering though is that Moon travelled around for the past decade or so before entering the NBA. If he could pull off such a absurd dunk you would think would've shown it to many people already and it would be on video or something like that crazy 720ish dunk that and1 guy did. Amazing dunks tend to find their way onto reel pretty fast.
Kosta
RealGM

Post#128 » by Kosta » Wed Feb 6, 2008 4:30 pm

So I looked up this James White dude everybody is talking about, not only did he completely miss that in between legs dunk, he was clearly more then a step inside the free throw line. And he lost that competition.
wetsthebed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,216

Post#129 » by wetsthebed » Wed Feb 6, 2008 4:32 pm

After watching that again, if you look at his reflection, he was clearly way short.
Quiet-Storm
Lead Assistant

Post#130 » by Quiet-Storm » Wed Feb 6, 2008 4:33 pm

westthebest wrote:After watching that again, if you look at his reflection, he was clearly way short.
You may be basing your reference point for the reflection on his first two dunks. With the camera pointed down, the reflection at the basket shifts position.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#131 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Feb 6, 2008 4:34 pm

westthebest wrote:After watching that again, if you look at his reflection, he was clearly way short.

I don't think there's anything clear about his reflection at all, since there are a bunch of people saying it clearly shows he made it.
Jordan23Forever
General Manager
And1: 54

Post#132 » by Jordan23Forever » Wed Feb 6, 2008 6:42 pm

Quiet-Storm wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Have you ever been on a basketball court? Do you know how big the free throw circle is? That was one foot behind the line not 2.5-3 feet.

Yeah, I've been on a court before, and I know exactly how big it is -- as has already been mentioned to you. Even if you just eyed it out, look at the size of his foot (which, for a 6'8"+ player, I'm assuming is at least 12" long) and see how many of his feet fit between the front of his toes and the FT line.

Thanks for the smart-aleckness, though.

EDIT: Just saw your apology. S'all good. :P
Turisas
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 39

Post#133 » by Turisas » Wed Feb 6, 2008 11:49 pm

I doubt this is fake. Why would they be generating so much hype only to disappoint the fans. I don't think some people realise what an athlete Moon is. A guy like Jonathan Bender dunked from the free-throw line with ease. Moon can go further.

Return to The General Board