48 wins-not in playoff? Houston and Portland on record pace

Moderators: cupcakesnake, infinite11285, Dirk, Harry Garris, ken6199, zimpy27, bwgood77, bisme37, KingDavid, Domejandro

Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,041

48 wins-not in playoff? Houston and Portland on record pace 

Post#1 » by Village Idiot » Thu Feb 7, 2008 11:15 am

The most wins a team has had in an 82 game season without making the playoffs is 45 which was accomplished by the Houston Rockets in 2000/01 and the Golden State Warriors in 1981/82.

both Houston and Portland are on a pace to win 48 games. Talk about futility. In many years you could win your division with 48 wins.

Imagine if one of those teams gets a top 3 lotto pick.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
seanbig
RealGM
And1: 3,890

Post#2 » by seanbig » Thu Feb 7, 2008 11:19 am

Well Houston could use it more than Portland. Seriously the YAO TMAC pairing is over. I say dump TMAC for a healthy PG/SG
Official 1,000,000 post crew
Raptor95,Seanbig,Spykelee,ClutchCarter,
aRapsFan4eva,Koz RJC, MAS, Slowlydrowningme,bigdub,GQstylin
Ming Kong!
RealGM
And1: 31

Post#3 » by Ming Kong! » Thu Feb 7, 2008 12:36 pm

seanbig wrote:Well Houston could use it more than Portland. Seriously the YAO TMAC pairing is over. I say dump TMAC for a healthy PG/SG

To me the problem on that team really has always been a play maker. I mean Francis and Alston are really not solutions at PG.
Ming Kong!
RealGM

Post#4 » by Ming Kong! » Thu Feb 7, 2008 12:38 pm

seanbig wrote:Well Houston could use it more than Portland. Seriously the YAO TMAC pairing is over. I say dump TMAC for a healthy PG/SG

Yeah, if Oden turns out to be half of what he can be, they'll be a playoff team for years to come, and if he's anywhere near what he's supposed to be, they could be an elite for some time. A lottery pick never hurts a non-contender. Lets face it, it's the best thing that could happen to an Oden-less Blazers team.
Point forward
Head Coach
And1: 285

Post#5 » by Point forward » Thu Feb 7, 2008 2:45 pm

Yes. I think ever since Steve Francis (yes, he *WAS* good a zillion years ago), PG play has been terrible in HOU.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,924

Post#6 » by hermes » Thu Feb 7, 2008 3:13 pm

ya the west is loaded
48 wins and not get in :o
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,146

Post#7 » by bleu » Thu Feb 7, 2008 3:58 pm

SlickWilly8
Junior
And1: 0

Post#8 » by SlickWilly8 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 4:27 pm

vainsake wrote:This is exactly why there should be a top-16 team playoff format instead of 8 from each conference. Its fkin rediculous.

+1 :nod:
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,453

Post#9 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Feb 7, 2008 4:52 pm

teams in the western conference (like the east) have their schedules somewhat backloaded with conference opponents. So those winning percentages are likely to drop as the bubble teams like houston, portland, and golden state get bigger doses of each other.
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Post#10 » by Spykes » Thu Feb 7, 2008 4:56 pm

I agree with Ming Kong to a point. I probably wouldn't say that being in the lotto is the "best" thing that could happen to Portland... But this summer (in a draft that is FULL of players who can help the Blazers), it certainly wouldn't be anything to be terribly upset about.
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 7

Post#11 » by HarlemHeat37 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 6:03 pm

I don't have a problem with the playoff format..it is what it is, and you just have to deal with it..if you complain about it, you're just admitting your inferior to your competition, and that's not how anyone should view competition..
Ming Kong!
RealGM

Post#12 » by Ming Kong! » Fri Feb 8, 2008 6:24 am

vainsake wrote:This is exactly why there should be a top-16 team playoff format instead of 8 from each conference. Its fkin rediculous.

What for? To me it's enough that there are 8 teams out of the west period. If you are seeking to win a championship, don't coast into the playoffs, go for a top spot. Chances are if you're in the bottom 4 in the west, you're not going to win a title anyways.

I understand that if you get the top 16 teams, record wise, that you'll justify who makes the playoffs, but keep in mind that being in different conferences you are denied equal opportunity too. Think of a team that has a 50 win season in the East, who would have been 45 wins in the West, well now he gets an easier 1st round opponent because he has a better record due to an easier schedule.
Ming Kong!
RealGM

Post#13 » by Ming Kong! » Fri Feb 8, 2008 6:26 am

HarlemHeat37 wrote:I don't have a problem with the playoff format..it is what it is, and you just have to deal with it..if you complain about it, you're just admitting your inferior to your competition, and that's not how anyone should view competition..

Exactly my point.
CupcakeNoFillin
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#14 » by CupcakeNoFillin » Fri Feb 8, 2008 6:30 am

Man whatever. Ever since Stephen Jackson returned from suspension the Warriors have had the best record in the Western Conference, we aint slowing down. I know we got a lot of tough teams to face but those games will be at home. We already did majority of our road games in the beginning of the season.

It's crazy how the top 10 teams in the Western Conference are only seperated by about 6 games from #1 to #10. A short winning streak by one team along with brief losses from another team can change a lot.
UDRIH14
General Manager
And1: 662

Post#15 » by UDRIH14 » Fri Feb 8, 2008 6:33 am

Ming Kong! wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I understand that if you get the top 16 teams, record wise, that you'll justify who makes the playoffs, but keep in mind that being in different conferences you are denied equal opportunity too. Think of a team that has a 50 win season in the East, who would have been 45 wins in the West, well now he gets an easier 1st round opponent because he has a better record due to an easier schedule.

thats why its bs

west teams play against stronger teams out west and its harder to get a win then thinkn of splitting the h2h games

compared to the joke east, if you want equal opportunity allow the west to play east 4 times each team, then you see how team records stand out....

thats why i feel no team under .500 deserves a playoff spot, if that team under .500 wins the championship than the championship serves no meaning....
AJ:"I'm Western Conference," he said. "I'm Popovich. I'm for him, for Texas and for the Spurs."
Nashty
Bench Warmer
And1: 61

Post#16 » by Nashty » Fri Feb 8, 2008 6:37 am

The east is such a joke.
Secret Lover14
Sixth Man
And1: 2,419

Post#17 » by Secret Lover14 » Fri Feb 8, 2008 6:43 am

Houston will win 50 games this year
PimpORL
Head Coach
And1: 1

Post#18 » by PimpORL » Fri Feb 8, 2008 6:46 am

Wow, you people don't think. For teams to be winning this many, other teams must be losing as many. Don't worry, by the end of the season it will all balance out.
Milkdud
RealGM
And1: 137

Post#19 » by Milkdud » Fri Feb 8, 2008 6:52 am

Poor G-State, the Rodney Dangerfield of the NBA.

Ming Kong!
RealGM

Post#20 » by Ming Kong! » Fri Feb 8, 2008 6:52 am

UDRIH14 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

thats why its bs

west teams play against stronger teams out west and its harder to get a win then thinkn of splitting the h2h games

compared to the joke east, if you want equal opportunity allow the west to play east 4 times each team, then you see how team records stand out....

thats why i feel no team under .500 deserves a playoff spot, if that team under .500 wins the championship than the championship serves no meaning....

Don't know if I made my point very clear, but what I'm trying to get to is this... if you make it out of the west, you were the best in the west, then you'll face a team who hasn't been challenged in the East, or a team that's ready for you. The point is, that the best team doesn't make excuses. If you finish 9th or 10th in your conference, then guess what, you're not the champion, tough luck. More than half the teams in the conference make the playoffs, if you are not that good, you're plain and simply not the best. Has an 8th place team on any conference ever won the championship? Nope, not once in 60 years. Do you really expect a 9th or 10th place team to do it? MAYBE, but hey don't put yourself in that position if you're that good. It's rather simple. If it's because a slow start, then well we as might as well have all teams in the league make the playoffs. Hmm... see where I'm getting at?

Return to The General Board