Who is the Peter King of the NBA?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

skagen
Junior
And1: 32

Who is the Peter King of the NBA? 

Post#1 » by skagen » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:08 pm

Reading about vecsey and sam smith, on the other hand, who's the peter king of the nba? I remember when vecsey was on nba on nbc and it was great (everything back then was great), now he's a quack (may have been a quack back then too)..

in case people don't know, peter king is considered one of the top NFL journalists.

My vote would maybe be mark stein, but i have no clue really.
Teen Girl Squad
Head Coach
And1: 3,048

Post#2 » by Teen Girl Squad » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:13 pm

No one in the NBA has the clout in the sport like King does. In MLB there is Peter Gammons.
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#3 » by magicfan4life05 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:22 pm

DAVID AKA THE MAN ALDRIDGE NO QUESTION ABOUT IT /THREAD
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
Basileus777
General Manager
And1: 2,031

Post#4 » by Basileus777 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:23 pm

Who is the top NBA analyst that doesn't know anything about the actual game of basketball? That would be the Peter King of the NBA.
SlickWilly8
Junior
And1: 0

Post#5 » by SlickWilly8 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:24 pm

My vote goes to Aldridge
Jemini80
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#6 » by Jemini80 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:51 pm

Ric Bucher is an idiot, but he seems to get the deals b4 anyone else.

bucher or aldrige

i wish it was barkley so that man would be on my tv more.
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#7 » by magicfan4life05 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:54 pm

bucher

"kobe will NEVER EVER wear lakers jersey again"

lol
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
kandiking
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#8 » by kandiking » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:58 pm

aldridge. the NBA also needs a mel kiper
Vindicater wrote:KWSN-Men is by far my favourite poster on realgm. He just takes so much punishment and just keeps coming back for more.
skagen
Junior
And1: 32

Post#9 » by skagen » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:42 pm

kandiking wrote:aldridge. the NBA also needs a mel kiper

the closest thing we have is andy katz, and he's more like herbstreit than kiper.

I thought about david aldridge too, i liked him.
MagicFan3
Banned User
And1: 19

Post#10 » by MagicFan3 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:33 pm

We don't really have anyone. Maybe Aldridge, but no one outside of that. Most basketball writers are clueless.
Jemini80
Banned User

Post#11 » by Jemini80 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:34 pm

i think that is because of the simple fact that even people who work for basketball teams are clueless about basketball, so anyone who actually knows basketball gets hired to work in the nba.
scwarrior
Freshman

Post#12 » by scwarrior » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:44 pm

Peter King sucks. He is an east coast, New England area homer. He compared Wes Welker's year this year to Jerry Rice's season where he set the (still) NFL record for receiving yards in a season.

He's a joke. I can't think of an equivelent NBA reporter who gets as much press but is as bad as Peter.

I read his columns because they are weekly and long and have a lot of general info in them, especially during training camp. But they are more 'entertaining' than pieces to be taken seriously. For any real analysis that is serious, forget Peter King.
_BBIB_
Lead Assistant
And1: 15

Post#13 » by _BBIB_ » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:52 pm

MagicFan3 wrote:We don't really have anyone. Maybe Aldridge, but no one outside of that. Most basketball writers are clueless.

SO there are a lot of Peter Kings?
Carl_Monday
Veteran

Post#14 » by Carl_Monday » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:07 pm

scwarrior wrote:Peter King sucks. He is an east coast, New England area homer. He compared Wes Welker's year this year to Jerry Rice's season where he set the (still) NFL record for receiving yards in a season.

He's a joke. I can't think of an equivelent NBA reporter who gets as much press but is as bad as Peter.

I read his columns because they are weekly and long and have a lot of general info in them, especially during training camp. But they are more 'entertaining' than pieces to be taken seriously. For any real analysis that is serious, forget Peter King.

:clap:

Thank you. If by Peter King you mean who in the NBA gushes over the accoladed of one player in particular (Favre in King's case), then maybe it's Ric Bucher who's got Kobe as his binky. But then again Bucher's pretty solid most of the time and doesn't give off an extreme coastal bias, so I guess he can't be the "Peter King of the NBA". Smith and Vescey deal in the realm of lunacy and make-believe, so it can't really be them. Come to think of it, I don't think there's anyone who fits that description (Thank God).

As for who's the best NBA reporter, it's gotta be Aldridge.
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,203

Post#15 » by UGA Hayes » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:22 pm

I really like when Chuck Klosterman writes about the NBA for ESPN even if it is sporadically. His column on the "NBA always being in trouble" was brilliant in my opion. Nowadays a lot of the guys who write NBA columns are not really accomplished writers so its nice to see one who can actually write once in a while. Stein is the only other guy I feel is a pretty good writer, but I think his bball knowledge leaves a lot to be desired. I like hollingers stuff but he isn't really a great writer.
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by conleyorbust » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:28 pm

I think McAllum is pretty insightful.

Most of Peter King's articles go like this, "the Patriots are the the greatest team ever because Tom Brady is a beautiful human being; he should win the Nobel Peace Prize, an Oscar, two Grammies, and a people's choice award. If anyone was a better human being than Tom Brady they'd be an angel." Or at least thats how it seems to me.

He is one of those reporter that seems to look more at the story than the game. I guess Adande can be like that but he doesn't come across as self-important like King always does.

Broussard would be like King if he wrote more often and had more respect.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,181
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#17 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:44 pm

I don't like any of the NBA guys, but in case you didn't know, Adam Schefter>>ALL.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,062

Post#18 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:39 am

Peter King looks like he drinks two cups of skillet grease before bed
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Rebel INS
Sixth Man
And1: 736

Post#19 » by Rebel INS » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:42 am

John Amaechi?
I didn't have to do that with Tom Brady while the NBC camera prepped for us Saturday around midnight, in front of a couple of vacated lockers in the winning locker room after the Patriots survived the Giants 38-35. The first thing he did is tell me how wrong I was about No Country for Old Men, a movie I loved and he didn't. ("What was the point?!'' he said. I said, "Hey, the good guy doesn't always win. It can't always be a happy ending.'') But then we had 30, 45 seconds, and before I could think of anything to say, he looked at me, with joy in his wide eyes, and started to giggle.

"Man, it's great,'' he said, and that's all he said. Then he just stood there, and I didn't say anything, and he didn't have to say anything

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/w ... index.html

Return to The General Board