CAVS pulling a BLOCKBUSTER trade (Update pg.6)

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Chief
Senior
And1: 1

Post#161 » by Chief » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:23 pm

yeah lebron made the call to bring in freaking wallys world.

give me a break.
DariusRickyMilesDavis
Pro Prospect

Post#162 » by DariusRickyMilesDavis » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:24 pm

I actually think the trade is close to a wash financially in terms of years and dollars. I'm a little confused why Seattle got themselves involved.
Cavsfan4lyfe
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#163 » by Cavsfan4lyfe » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:25 pm

Wow people outside of Cleveland must think a lot more highly of Hughes and Gooden than I thought.
DariusRickyMilesDavis
Pro Prospect

Post#164 » by DariusRickyMilesDavis » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:26 pm

Chief wrote:yeah lebron made the call to bring in freaking wallys world.

give me a break.

Yeah, I mean why would Lebron want a guy who can stretch the defense on his team?

He's probably helping Larry pack his bags right now. If you think the Cavs make ANY major decision without Lebron's advice well...
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,446

Post#165 » by CBS7 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:32 pm

This was a really good trade for both teams. Chicago frees up major minutes for the young guys up front, while Cleveland becomes much closer to being a contender by strengthening up both the frontcourt and backcourt.

Nice for Seattle too.

Bulls got a player no one wanted, but got rid of a player no one wanted, too.
Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Post#166 » by Jajwanda » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:33 pm

I'm calling a Jermaine O'Neal for Sczerbiak deal over the summer.

Saves Indiana cash and they probably get a pick in the deal and Cleveland hopes that O'Neal can come back about as effective as he was this season, but at the natural PF position instead.

PG- Gibson, West
SG- Pavlovic
SF- LeBron
PF- O'Neal
C- Ilgauskas

Pretty scary team depending on health...
z_from_kc
Rookie
And1: 72

Post#167 » by z_from_kc » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:39 pm

LeBron should be able to put a very strong run together for MVP. I think the rest of the East just got a little worried about the Cavs
DariusRickyMilesDavis
Pro Prospect

Post#168 » by DariusRickyMilesDavis » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:44 pm

YiYaoYue wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

because you look for those two players to be 2nd options... lakers hated odom when he was a second option until he became 3rd/4th and then thrived (although still inconcsistent) and more fans loved him. It is the same with hughes and gooden... when they become sidekicks to deng and gordon they dont become players who need to score when they get a pass from lebron... they become players who can rebound, defend, get steals, score when available etc. Bulls had no one who can score from inside while cavs have Big Z, so you just rather would have gooden pass the ball to the big guy inside than shoot it himself.

I have to respectfully disagree with this assessment of Hughes/Gooden. While I believe two years ago you would have been correct that the Cavs expected Hughes to turn in to a 2nd scoring option, it never really was the case. Hughes on the Cavaliers probably isn't in our top 4 scoring options and Gooden is probably our 4th. Especially with players like Gibson and Sasha out on the court.

I think the perception of the Cavs is that we don't have a diverse group of scoring options. I think this is a false perception. However, most of our scorers (pre-trade) are guys that finish at the rim. (Lebron, Z, Gooden, Sasha) and only one is a consistent outside threat (Gibson). The inability to shoot didn't only hurt Lebron, but it killed Sasha and Z.

What this trade does it add more diversity to the overall attack. We have the midrange-shooter in Z. He also is an excellent low post player. We have guys on the outside that can bomb in Gibson, Wally and Delonte West. And we have the piece that puts the two together in Lebron. I truly believe this team just became very scary offensively.

And now when you look at the defensive aspect of this whole thing. Hughes was regarded as a premier defender when he came to Cleveland. Personally I thought he did a rather poor job with his quickness this season. Anyone who has watched the Cavaliers for a significant amount of time knows that Lebron matches up with the other teams best player in the 4th quarter because he has become a much more accomplished defender. So what we are losing come playoff time is an off-star defender. No loss. Gooden was and always will be a bad defensive player in a team concept. He never rotated and was usually out of position. What we got back isn't great defense either, but it is grit and toughness. Minus Wally, our perimeter return is able to match up with the uber quick guys that give us trouble. Now I'm not saying we have Kobe out there but we do have adequate perimeter defense. We get a ton tougher inside. Ben Wallace, for all his faults 1 on 1, is an excellent defender in the team concept. He rotates and plays in control. I don't care what Bulls fans say, he still has a brain and still has a body. That means he is better than Gooden on that side of the court.
Bgil
Assistant Coach

Post#169 » by Bgil » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:47 pm

Chief wrote:yeah lebron made the call to bring in freaking wallys world.

give me a break.

Seems to make sense considering what CLE wants top do. This trade brings them rebounding, interior defense, and outside shooting. That was basically their formula for success last season (outside of LBJ himself) and this is more of the same.

Solid trade for CLE outside of Wally getting lit up every night.
"I'm sure they'll jump off the bandwagon. Then when we do get back on top, they're going to want to jump back on, and we're going to tell them there's no more room." - Kobe in March of 2005
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,203

Post#170 » by Heat3 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:00 am

Good trade for Cleveland.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

devwat12
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#171 » by devwat12 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:04 am

Ben Wallace may not be any good now, but the Cavs gave up almost nothing in this deal. Drew Gooden is pound for pound the dumbest player in the league. On top of that, he is one of the worst defenders as well. The Bulls will quickly learn to hate him and will realize why he always gets traded despite putting up pretty solid numbers.

The only thing the Cavs lose is Hughes' perimter D. He has been playing better as of late, but is still a very inefficient player. He smiply wasn't a good fit beside Lebron.

Joe Smith is a better fit for the Cavs than Drew Gooden.

Wally is a better fit for the Cavs than Hughes.

If West and Wallace give the Cavs anything, this trade is a steal for Cleveland.

Cleveland traded 4 garbage players who barely played and 2 guys that 90% of their fans hated. If you don't think they made out in this trade, you haven't seen much of Gooden and Hughes.
JebronLames23
Freshman
And1: 15

Post#172 » by JebronLames23 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:11 am

DariusRickyMilesDavis wrote:I don't see how you can draw that conclusion. The Cavs traded one player who regularly contributes in Gooden and he hurts the Cavs defensively. In return they are bringing back four guys to put in the rotation, each of which (except for perhaps Thomas) fills a need (outside shooting/toughness inside).

Who is this Thomas guy you keep mentioning?
rewill17
Sixth Man
And1: 271

Post#173 » by rewill17 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:11 am

Trade cancelled.

Ira Newble utilized his no-trade clause.

[/green]
DariusRickyMilesDavis
Pro Prospect

Post#174 » by DariusRickyMilesDavis » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:13 am

JebronLames23 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Who is this Thomas guy you keep mentioning?

I'm losing my mind and thinking of Tyrus Thomas when I mean Joe Smith. Sorry I'm battling this and a paper on the role of religion in American politics. Replace Thomas with Smith and hopefully my incoherent rambling starts to bring some truth to the surface.
Chief
Senior

Post#175 » by Chief » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:40 am

My point was Lebron did or and will never ask for someone of Wallys ilk..

i like delonte i think he will be better in the spotlight.
Pats19andO
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#176 » by Pats19andO » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:51 am

I think its a lateral move
Pats19andO
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#177 » by Pats19andO » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:57 am

Lol at Delonte's pic on the homepage
hes sneezing
C'mon Cavs
Starter
And1: 5

Post#178 » by C'mon Cavs » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:04 am

MrSparkle wrote:Cleveland is really going to be an exceptionally slow team.

Snow
Szczerbiak
James
Wallace
Ilgauskas

NBA ratings are going to skyrocket. They should play that squad to attract the senior citizen crowd that never quite got into the hip hop, up-tempo NBA.

Lebron is going to dart out on the fast-break all excited, and he's going to look for the clever pass, and be like "Wtf?" as he turns around and Wally, Z and Big Ben are sprinting out of the other end's paint.

LeBron is slow??????

The "slowness" will not be a factor. Like people have said, Gooden and Hughes never ran the break.

If all the players the Cavs received just do their jobs (Wally-make 3's, Wallace-rebound, etc.) then this deal will be a solid upgrade.

It's not too much to ask. It should be alright. Barkley seems to love the deal with the way he's talking about it...not that I put much stock into what Barkley says.
C'mon Cavs
Starter
And1: 5

Post#179 » by C'mon Cavs » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:09 am

devwat12 wrote:Ben Wallace may not be any good now, but the Cavs gave up almost nothing in this deal. Drew Gooden is pound for pound the dumbest player in the league. On top of that, he is one of the worst defenders as well. The Bulls will quickly learn to hate him and will realize why he always gets traded despite putting up pretty solid numbers.

The only thing the Cavs lose is Hughes' perimter D. He has been playing better as of late, but is still a very inefficient player. He smiply wasn't a good fit beside Lebron.

Joe Smith is a better fit for the Cavs than Drew Gooden.

Wally is a better fit for the Cavs than Hughes.

If West and Wallace give the Cavs anything, this trade is a steal for Cleveland.

Cleveland traded 4 garbage players who barely played and 2 guys that 90% of their fans hated. If you don't think they made out in this trade, you haven't seen much of Gooden and Hughes.

Gooden's D is attrocious, but he can score. He has a nice baby hook and decent range on his jumper. Overall though, i have grown tired of his lack of D and incosistency and overall dumb play.

Hughes was nothing but an absolute disgrace to Cleveland since day 1. I'm so glad he's gone, he was my least favorite player on the Cavs. He's a selfish loser. Chicago will learn to absolutely despise him. Dont let the media or Hughes try to brainwash you with their excuses. Hughes will bow ass and everyone will make excuses for him...there are no excuses for sucking for 3 years...you just flat out suck.
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,446

Post#180 » by CBS7 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:14 am

DariusRickyMilesDavis wrote: Ben Wallace, for all his faults 1 on 1, is an excellent defender in the team concept. He rotates and plays in control. I don't care what Bulls fans say, he still has a brain and still has a body. That means he is better than Gooden on that side of the court.

While he hasn't been a horrible defender this year, he hasn't been excellent. There were times that he just wouldn't rotate and left the bigman who can make outside shots wide open.

Return to The General Board