Triple Double or 45 a night?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Harder to do?

Triple Double
51%
45 a night
49%

Total votes: 65

kooldude
Lead Assistant
And1: 78

Post#21 » by kooldude » Sat Mar 8, 2008 1:48 am

jefe wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. Give me the triple-double.

the point was ALOT more players came close to a TP season but only ONE player has came close to a 45PPG season. Hence why a 45PPG season is more impressive, which is the real question asked in the OP.
Warspite wrote:I still would take Mitch (Richmond) over just about any SG playing today. His peak is better than 2011 Kobe and with 90s rules hes better than Wade.

Jordan23Forever wrote:People are delusional.
dingclancy
Analyst
And1: 90

Post#22 » by dingclancy » Sat Mar 8, 2008 1:55 am

One of Shemps Kids wrote:You could get the 45, not have your teammates involved, shoot a horrible percentage, and be on a perrenial loser. I'll take the triple double, because it'll always be remembered, and theres a higher chance that your play is having a greatly positive effect. High rebound and assist numbers don't lie like ppg can.

45 a night will not be remembered? :lol:
jefe
General Manager
And1: 636

Post#23 » by jefe » Sat Mar 8, 2008 1:55 am

kooldude wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

the point was ALOT more players came close to a TP season but only ONE player has came close to a 45PPG season. Hence why a 45PPG season is more impressive, which is the real question asked in the OP.

And my point was that "close" doesn't count - they've each only been achieved once, right? :wink:
Kobay
General Manager
And1: 5

Post#24 » by Kobay » Sat Mar 8, 2008 2:07 am

cb4_89 wrote:45/5/5 or 35/10/12?
Well if they shot same percentage, the guy that grabs more rebounds have the edge. But 35/10/12 is complete ball hogging.
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#25 » by theTHIEF » Sat Mar 8, 2008 2:08 am

triple double....

and why not a triple double with 45 points? problem solved...
kooldude
Lead Assistant

Post#26 » by kooldude » Sat Mar 8, 2008 2:33 am

And my point was that "close" doesn't count - they've each only been achieved once, right? :wink:

are you that dense or this is some stupid joke? A 45PPG season has been ALOT less probable than a TD season in NBA history so the the task which is much less likely to happen is much more impressive.

Let me guess, you're one of the those people that thinks Jason Kidd's season is better than Chris Paul because Kidd nearly avg's a TD? :rofl:
Warspite wrote:I still would take Mitch (Richmond) over just about any SG playing today. His peak is better than 2011 Kobe and with 90s rules hes better than Wade.

jefe
General Manager

Post#27 » by jefe » Sat Mar 8, 2008 2:40 am

are you that dense or this is some stupid joke? A 45PPG season has been ALOT less probable than a TD season in NBA history so the the task which is much less likely to happen is much more impressive.

Let me guess, you're one of the those people that thinks Jason Kidd's season is better than Chris Paul because Kidd nearly avg's a TD? :rofl:

Explain how it's alot less probable - they've each happened only once; and you can say "close" till you're blue in the face, but it doesn't change that fact.
Kobay
General Manager
And1: 5

Post#28 » by Kobay » Sat Mar 8, 2008 2:44 am

Because if you score 45 points every game on high percentage they will triple team you before stepping beyond the half court.
kooldude
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by kooldude » Sat Mar 8, 2008 2:50 am

Explain how it's alot less probable - they've each happened only once; and you can say "close" till you're blue in the face, but it doesn't change that fact.

No one is denying that each achievement have happened once so you can stop using that cop-out as your only argument. :)

You fail to understand the meaning of "probability". It means the likelihood of something occurring. Several players have been very close to a TP season opposed to a 45PPG season which only Wilt was close (and done), so the likelihood of a 45PPG season is much lower. For example, the likelihood of one player scoring 20PPG next season is pretty high, even though it has not occurred (so there is no absolute certainty), therefore it is not that impressive if the likelihood of that event occurring, is so high. Apply that to this thread.

I really think you're joking because no one is that dull. (no offense if you're serious)

Buckeye-NBAFan
General Manager
And1: 4,537

Post#30 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Sat Mar 8, 2008 2:57 am

One of Shemps Kids wrote:You could get the 45, not have your teammates involved, shoot a horrible percentage, and be on a perrenial loser. I'll take the triple double, because it'll always be remembered, and theres a higher chance that your play is having a greatly positive effect. High rebound and assist numbers don't lie like ppg can.

You can huh? Show me where that has ever happened?
jefe
General Manager

Post#31 » by jefe » Sat Mar 8, 2008 2:59 am

No one is denying that each achievement have happened once so you can stop using that cop-out as your only argument. :)

You fail to understand the meaning of "probability". It means the likelihood of something occurring. Several players have been very close to a TP season opposed to a 45PPG season which only Wilt was close (and done), so the likelihood of a 45PPG season is much lower. For example, the likelihood of one player scoring 20PPG next season is pretty high, even though it has not occurred (so there is no absolute certainty), therefore it is not that impressive if the likelihood of that event occurring, is so high. Apply that to this thread.

I really think you're joking because no one is that dull. (no offense if you're serious)

Probability of the past that never materialized doesn't concern me. The fact that each has only occured once over the past 50+ years is enough to conclude that each is reasonably impressive should it occur. Of course, it's a subjective choice - but making your decision on past "close" calls is not something I agree with (for instance, before the superbowl it was highly probable that the Pats would go undefeated - but the fact that it was close and didn't materialize wouldn't make another team actually doing it next year any less impressive to me) Agree to disagree I guess.
Buckeye-NBAFan
General Manager
And1: 4,537

Post#32 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Sat Mar 8, 2008 3:00 am

Jason Kidd was averaging 11/10/8.1 in NJ. LeBron is averaging 30. So put it this way, what's harder, averaging 1.9 rpg more or 15 ppg more?
big123
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#33 » by big123 » Sat Mar 8, 2008 3:07 am

I think scoring 45 PPG can happen more than it does if players were compete ballhogs taking every shot. It just doesn't happen much, so there is much less of a probability.

There are PG's that handle the rock exclusively and can put up the numbers easier, making a TD more of a probability.

But averaging 10 blocks or steals to go along with any other 2 for a DP, blows 45 ppg away.
kooldude
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by kooldude » Sat Mar 8, 2008 3:23 am

Probability of the past that never materialized doesn't concern me. The fact that each has only occured once over the past 50+ years is enough to conclude that each is reasonably impressive should it occur.
Of course, it's a subjective choice - but making your decision on past "close" calls is not something I agree with (for instance, before the superbowl it was highly probable that the Pats would go undefeated - but the fact that it was close and didn't materialize wouldn't make another team actually doing it next year any less impressive to me) Agree to disagree I guess.

HAHA.

Aside from Oscar's TD season in '62, he needed 0.3APG more to get a TD season in '61, 0.5APG in '63, 0.1RPG (!!) in '64, and 1.0RPG in '65. Magic needed a 0.4RPG and 0.5APG to get TP seasons, Wilt needed 1.4APG more (in an era where assists were harder to be awarded), Kidd needed 1.9RPG in NJ. I'm not going to list the others.

Aside from Wilt's amazing seasons, the closet person is Jordan with 37.1PPG. That's a 8PPG difference right there, a significant task to do. If you think a 0.1APG or 0.4RPG more is harder to do than 8PPG more, then you're an idiot.

Your Patriot undefeated season analogy is flawed and I strongly disagree with it also. If the Pats go undefeated next season, it would not as impressive to most people as it would be if they did it this year, because they showed they are very capable of achieving that goal this year. Just like how if the Pats did go undefeated, it would be much more impressive if the Dolphins didn't do the same thing in '72. The lower the likelihood, the more it's impressive. Can you grasp that?

pk00
Senior

Post#35 » by pk00 » Sat Mar 8, 2008 3:23 am

Kobay wrote:Because if you score 45 points every game on high percentage they will triple team you before stepping beyond the half court.

but if you're averaging that much you're obviously getting around their triple-teams..
kooldude
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by kooldude » Sat Mar 8, 2008 3:30 am

big123 wrote:I think scoring 45 PPG can happen more than it does if players were compete ballhogs taking every shot. It just doesn't happen much, so there is much less of a probability.

There are PG's that handle the rock exclusively and can put up the numbers easier, making a TD more of a probability.

But averaging 10 blocks or steals to go along with any other 2 for a DP, blows 45 ppg away.

I basically agree with this. I don't like when some people could say that a player can have horrible efficiency to get that 45PPG so a TD is better when a team can "let" their TD teammate get extra rebounds (when the rebound is were farther away from the TD and risk the opposing players get it first) or let the offense runs through the TD guy 100% of the time at the risk of losing better ball rotation. All speculative crap that are unnecessary, it should go without saying, that both the TD season or 45PPG happened when playing the "right" way and to win, which would be more impressive and that is the 45PPG.

exkonvict
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#37 » by exkonvict » Sat Mar 8, 2008 3:32 am

theTHIEF wrote:triple double....

and why not a triple double with 45 points? problem solved...

45/10/10 would require the most ridiculous ball-hogging strategy ever.
halfHAVOC
Assistant Coach
And1: 176

Post#38 » by halfHAVOC » Sat Mar 8, 2008 3:44 am

triple double............

kobe or lebron could put up 45 if they took ALOT more shots.
Stream My New Basketball Anthem "KING": https://ampl.ink/7QwkY
kooldude
Lead Assistant

Post#39 » by kooldude » Sat Mar 8, 2008 3:47 am

halfHAVOC wrote:triple double............

kobe or lebron could put up 45 if they took ALOT more shots.

Kidd could put up TD if his teammates "let" him grabs their bounds.

The_Believer
Pro Prospect

Post#40 » by The_Believer » Sat Mar 8, 2008 6:06 am

If a player could get 30-10-10-5-5 (TD + 5x5) for a season, it would be more impressive than the 45 ppg.
But if the TD is 10-10-10 on horrible efficiency, I'd take 45 ppg.

Return to The General Board