Rockets Release Gerald Green

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

King Roosk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#21 » by King Roosk » Sat Mar 8, 2008 7:19 pm

Carl Landry is out for the game against NO tonight, so we signed a big man to a 10 day contract to fill the void. I think GG still might be back as a Rocket once Landry comes back. The reason I think this is a possibility is because here's a quote from the Houston Chronicle:

wetsthebed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,216

Post#22 » by wetsthebed » Sat Mar 8, 2008 7:33 pm

I don't think he has a bad attitude, it's more the fact that he has no idea how to play basketball and isn't smart enough to learn how.
bryant08
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Post#23 » by bryant08 » Sat Mar 8, 2008 7:40 pm

As a Raptor fan, I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him. At worst, he'd be another Joey Graham.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#24 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Sat Mar 8, 2008 7:46 pm

he is a bust
farzi
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#25 » by farzi » Sat Mar 8, 2008 7:47 pm

He strikes me as a guy who could absolutely dominate the D league, but can't play his way into a bench rotation on a decent team.

You see it happen a lot in baseball.
Thank you for all the memories BRoy. You were a class act and brought hope to an entire region for 5 years. You will be missed.
nnnwt
Junior
And1: 20

Post#26 » by nnnwt » Sat Mar 8, 2008 7:49 pm

T-Spot wrote:Gerald Green. Michael Jordan. Both players names have N's, A's, E's, N's, R's, L's, and D's.

It's not conspiracy, it's fate.

Sign his ass.

LOL :clap:
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#27 » by Basti » Sat Mar 8, 2008 7:50 pm

wow I can't believe McHale could get a decent player and a 2nd rounder for him...
CupcakeNoFillin
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#28 » by CupcakeNoFillin » Sat Mar 8, 2008 8:02 pm

I thought he was gonna be the next Tracy McGrady. :(
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#29 » by Blame Rasho » Sat Mar 8, 2008 8:16 pm

CupcakeNoFillin wrote:I thought he was gonna be the next Tracy McGrady. :(

I am pretty sure he thought that too...
Baller 24
RealGM
And1: 18

Post#30 » by Baller 24 » Sat Mar 8, 2008 8:20 pm

I think there is something going on about this deal, maybe there is an agreement done before this happened, I just have a feeling Green isn't done as a Rockets, but ehh thats just my opinion.
dockingsched wrote: the biggest loss of the off-season for the lakers was earl clark
Sambonius
Junior

Post#31 » by Sambonius » Sat Mar 8, 2008 8:22 pm

LMAO @ everyone making a big deal when the Rockets acquired him.
Where'd you get this soap? It feels like two koala bears are mating on my chest...
DraftBoy10
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#32 » by DraftBoy10 » Sat Mar 8, 2008 8:27 pm

Rockets fans need to stop saying this is just a temporary move.

Bottom line is we cut him, so we lost bird rights so MY belief that we got him for cheap now, degrade him, re-sign him cheap, develop him was ABSOLUTELY WRONG. The Rockets have no future intentions for this player. I'm mad cause we don't, and cause I was wrong.
eloper
Starter
And1: 82

Post#33 » by eloper » Sat Mar 8, 2008 8:32 pm

Lost Angel wrote:it has to be his attitude.

you can have as much talent as you want but if you dont have the right attitude you'll never make it in this league

ie: JR Rider

All the bad attitude comments in this thread are ridiculous. Those who have followed Gerald (I know, there aren't too many) know that he's been nothing but a positive influence. He's an incredibly hard worker, and upon being traded to Houston recognized that he wouldn't see any playing time this year, and that he had no problem with it. Try not to make assumptions about a player with absolutely no basis for them.

There's a good chance Gerald is back with Houston at the end of the Harris 10 day contract, but either way, remember that JR Smith was basically at the same point in his career before ending up in Denver and putting up fantastic numbers in the minutes he's gotten (and with GG there's no concern about off the court issues)...Gerald just needs to find a situation like JR did.
DraftBoy10
Banned User

Post#34 » by DraftBoy10 » Sat Mar 8, 2008 8:39 pm

Yeah well Houston doesn't necessarily have a surplus of athletic swings with a touch and young enough to grow. That's why I'm mad at this decision. I want us to be patient. Cheat him into a long-term deal, develop him this summer. If we can have Brooks, Landry, and Green sporting our rotation next year that's a very athletic, young, and energetic bench that reminds of the way the Pistons bring that enthusiasm from the bench. Green doesn't even need to be more than 15-20mpg player. I'm sure we can get him to do that low IQ or not.
Pats19andO
Banned User

Post#35 » by Pats19andO » Sat Mar 8, 2008 9:21 pm

GeraldGreen5 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

There's a good chance Gerald is back with Houston at the end of the Harris 10 day contract, but either way, remember that JR Smith was basically at the same point in his career before ending up in Denver and putting up fantastic numbers in the minutes he's gotten (and with GG there's no concern about off the court issues)...Gerald just needs to find a situation like JR did.

Great point. I always thought of them as similar players. Both are uber-athletic, can shoot 3's, have superior dunking abilities, and need to find their niche.

Side Note: In 04' Josh Smith got taken right before JR. In 05' Granger was taken right before Gerald. Its uncanny
fictionality
Junior

Post#36 » by fictionality » Sat Mar 8, 2008 9:47 pm

GeraldGreen5 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

All the bad attitude comments in this thread are ridiculous. Those who have followed Gerald (I know, there aren't too many) know that he's been nothing but a positive influence. He's an incredibly hard worker, and upon being traded to Houston recognized that he wouldn't see any playing time this year, and that he had no problem with it. Try not to make assumptions about a player with absolutely no basis for them.

You may have to eventually change your user name if GG fails to pan out. :o
corona
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 234

Post#37 » by corona » Sat Mar 8, 2008 9:47 pm

All the bad attitude comments in this thread are ridiculous. Those who have followed Gerald (I know, there aren't too many) know that he's been nothing but a positive influence. He's an incredibly hard worker, and upon being traded to Houston recognized that he wouldn't see any playing time this year, and that he had no problem with it.

so he's just not very good?...at all?
if he has a great attitude, great work ethic, can shoot the ball with the best in the nba, is one of the best leapers in nba history...then shouldn't he be getting playing time somewhere? wouldn't one of the worst teams in the league offer him that if he was what you say he is?

and jr smith is simply a better player. its not situational.
he's a better shooter (percentage wise...and he has a higher/quicker/better release), significantly better ball handler, penetrator, in-game finisher, defender...and as questionable as his decision making can be, gerald greens worse.
BballerShotCaller
Senior
And1: 16

Post#38 » by BballerShotCaller » Sat Mar 8, 2008 9:58 pm

Wow, this guy looks like he is on his way out of the league.
Hope he saved some money. Maybe he can go play in Europe or some other foreign league.

Reminds me of what Travis Outlaw said about his critics and finally coming around to play better this year. Travis gave most of the credit to assistant coach Monty Williams for being patient and finding alternative teaching methods that Travis understood and grasped better.

Green needs to find and pay his own developmental coach. He and his agent should come up with some criteria and interview some candidates to hire as Green's very own personal development coach. John Lucas maybe? Maybe he could speak with Monty Williams about some summer workouts.

But sounds like Green needs some full-time developmental coaching in-season and during the off-season if he wants to have a chance at remaining in the league
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Post#39 » by Spykes » Sat Mar 8, 2008 10:11 pm

Shoot, the Blazers need to waive Von Wafer and give Green a few 10 day contracts.

BballerShotCaller is completely right on the Outlaw comparison. I've used that same comparison as far back as the day the Celtics drafted him.
Scrub Sura
Banned User

Post#40 » by Scrub Sura » Sat Mar 8, 2008 10:55 pm

So, when will Gerald finally accept reality and join the And1 ranks?

Return to The General Board