Rockets Release Gerald Green

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#81 » by Blame Rasho » Sun Mar 9, 2008 8:50 pm

GeraldGreen5 wrote:All the bad attitude comments in this thread are ridiculous. Those who have followed Gerald (I know, there aren't too many) know that he's been nothing but a positive influence. He's an incredibly hard worker, and upon being traded to Houston recognized that he wouldn't see any playing time this year, and that he had no problem with it. Try not to make assumptions about a player with absolutely no basis for them.

There's a good chance Gerald is back with Houston at the end of the Harris 10 day contract, but either way
, remember that JR Smith was basically at the same point in his career before ending up in Denver and putting up fantastic numbers in the minutes he's gotten (and with GG there's no concern about off the court issues)...Gerald just needs to find a situation like JR did.

Really?
The Rockets did not intend to do Gerald Green a favor by cutting him. They needed a bigger body, and they needed it now. They released Green on Saturday to make room for Rice product Mike Harris.

But Green should take this as the day his career was saved. He was replaced by the guy he needs to become.

If Green played, practiced and most of all competed as hard as Harris, he would not be unemployed today. He has a sweet shot and can jump out of the building. Another team will likely take another shot to teach him how to play. It could be the Rockets.

"We have no formal plans for Gerald in the offseason except we will take a close look at signing him," Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said. "We feel the same way about Gerald now as before
Texas Longhorns
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#82 » by Texas Longhorns » Sun Mar 9, 2008 9:04 pm

Good article find TD, Jonathan was a little late with this article though.
- Vince Young - Kevin Durant - LaMarcus Aldrige - T.J. Ford - D.J. Augustin
eloper
Starter
And1: 82

Post#83 » by eloper » Sun Mar 9, 2008 9:13 pm

See, the problem is, people see Gerald's talent and think "all he needs to do is work hard and he'll be a stud in no time." That simply isn't the case. As talented as Gerald is physically, he's just as behind mentally. People mistake his lack of progress for a lack of effort, but that couldn't be further from the truth. The problem has been he's worked on the wrong things, because you're right, he'll listen to his coaches, and his coaches have tried to turn him into an all around player, and that just isn't waht he is. Gerald has shown drive, I'm the first one to point out Gerald's flaws, but his work ethic is the last thing I'm worried about.

I'm hopeful Gerald goes down to the D-League and perhaps learns under a coach that re-focuses his game to learning the fundamentals and playing to his strengths. Gerald thinks he's supposed to play like Tracy McGrady, he needs a coach who shows him how to play to his strengths.
wakkoman
Junior
And1: 0

Post#84 » by wakkoman » Sun Mar 9, 2008 10:11 pm

The D-League is only available to players in their first two years of the NBA
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,262

Post#85 » by kodo » Sun Mar 9, 2008 10:29 pm

He did freefall during the draft, big time. But the main reason was that his handlers (his parents i think?) would not let any GM see him play one on one, and they outright snubbed some other GMs and eventually he just got a bad name associated with him. There was this assumption that he had something to hide.

Ainge actually drafted him without ever working him out.

I've seen him play occasionally and saw nothing impressive. He'd be a better 3 than 2 because he lacks lateral quickness & speed with a dribble, but his frame would be small for a forward.

His hops are irrelevant, the best jumpers in every draft are usually 2nd rounders.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,073
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#86 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Mar 9, 2008 10:31 pm

He obviously did have something to hide :lol:
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
wetsthebed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,216

Post#87 » by wetsthebed » Sun Mar 9, 2008 10:44 pm

wakkoman wrote:The D-League is only available to players in their first two years of the NBA
Doesn't that just apply to free agents, though?
Texas Longhorns
Banned User

Post#88 » by Texas Longhorns » Sun Mar 9, 2008 10:45 pm

If the Rockets could have put Green in the D-League, they would have. It probably has to be true then with that 2nd year rule.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,073
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#89 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Mar 9, 2008 10:50 pm

I didn't hear that D-League rule, that's pretty stupid if you ask me.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,487

Post#90 » by Bankai » Sun Mar 9, 2008 11:24 pm

I predicted that everyone in the one sided Kevin Garnett trade except Al Jefferson would be out of the league in a few years. Well thats 1 down.
wakkoman
Junior
And1: 0

Post#91 » by wakkoman » Sun Mar 9, 2008 11:32 pm

westthebest wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Doesn't that just apply to free agents, though?

Daryl Morey was asked if Green would be sent to the D-League after the Rockets had traded for him

He had said something about players becoming ineligible after their 2nd year. I dont know the actual details of the rule, but Green according to Morey was not eligible.
tranjSAIC
Banned User
And1: 527

Post#92 » by tranjSAIC » Sun Mar 9, 2008 11:33 pm

GeraldGreen5 wrote:See, the problem is, people see Gerald's talent and think "all he needs to do is work hard and he'll be a stud in no time." That simply isn't the case. As talented as Gerald is physically, he's just as behind mentally. People mistake his lack of progress for a lack of effort, but that couldn't be further from the truth. The problem has been he's worked on the wrong things, because you're right, he'll listen to his coaches, and his coaches have tried to turn him into an all around player, and that just isn't waht he is. Gerald has shown drive, I'm the first one to point out Gerald's flaws, but his work ethic is the last thing I'm worried about.

I'm hopeful Gerald goes down to the D-League and perhaps learns under a coach that re-focuses his game to learning the fundamentals and playing to his strengths. Gerald thinks he's supposed to play like Tracy McGrady, he needs a coach who shows him how to play to his strengths.

Are you really Gerald Green or one of his relatives? Wait nevermind, someone in his posse?
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#93 » by Basti » Sun Mar 9, 2008 11:40 pm

why is everyone blaming minnesota for his poor play? I know wittman is a crappy coach but as long as you don't produce and look bad on the court it's no coincidence that you're not playing.

and yes I know McCants also made dumb plays but he didn't jack up shots nor looked REALLY lost on D.
sixers_610
General Manager
And1: 68

Post#94 » by sixers_610 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:15 am

do you remember when celtics fans were calling this guy untouchable not too long ago?

Can't help but enjoy this one..

Feb 2006:

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic. ... 34#7758334

Mar 2008:

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic. ... 2#15752142
some_rand
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#95 » by some_rand » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:06 am

his per 36 minute numbers with houston were 54 and 18 on 100% shooting!!!!! how could they cut him!!!!!1!!111!!
Texas Longhorns
Banned User

Post#96 » by Texas Longhorns » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:10 am

some_rand wrote:his per 36 minute numbers with houston were 54 and 18 on 100% shooting!!!!! how could they cut him!!!!!1!!111!!

He played one game for 2 minutes (garbage time).
Idunkon1stdates
Senior
And1: 22

Post#97 » by Idunkon1stdates » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:19 am

Texas Longhorns wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Thanks for clearing that up.
Cruel_Ruin
Head Coach
And1: 767
Location: The intersection of intellect, imagination and insanity

Post#98 » by Cruel_Ruin » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:10 am

He should go to Europe and learn fundamental basketaball rather than the American athleticism heavy game.
some_rand
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#99 » by some_rand » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:08 am

Texas Longhorns wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

green font really is necessary around here isn't it

Return to The General Board