Papa John's is offically dead in Cleveland (Cavs/Wiz)

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#21 » by TheOUTLAW » Sun May 4, 2008 11:05 pm

bstein14 wrote:Papa John's are franchised.

Someone who owns some DC area Popa John's decided to try this as a promotion. I'm sure it was CORPORATE that did this.

Papa John's in Cleveland Area have different owners who shouldn't be hurt because of the decisions of owners in DC.

Here is an email received by a Cavs fan

Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:27 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B Mac wrote:
I saw this on a Browns forum in which MANY MANY people said the same thing Im about to.... Papa John's just lost a customer.

(picture)

Let them know what you think:

http://www.papajohns.com/feedback/ele_f...;image.y=2

This is the E-mail I got back about 30 minutes after I let them know what I thought about this stunt:

Mr. *****,
Please call me at your earliest convenience to discuss the complaint
you sent through. I understand your anger. Unfortunately, I found out
about the shirts last night when everyone else in Cleveland did. I DO NOT
condone the actions of the person in Washington who took it upon himself to have these shirts printed. At 11pm last night, our corporate office was
alerted to the blatant disregard for ethical sportsmanship and the fact that
our logo was being dragged through the mud.
Cleveland Papa Johns nor our corporate office in Louisville knew of the IDIOTIC endeavor of the Washington subhuman and are working diligently to fix the problem. Sir, my heartfelt apologies for the way OUR Mr. James was treated. I have lived in Ohio for 42 years. If there is one thing I have learned...is ya just DONT pick on OUR guys! Cleveland ROCKS and we stand 100% behind LeBron James!!

So, no it wasn't corporate that did this.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
Uncooked
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#22 » by Uncooked » Sun May 4, 2008 11:05 pm

PimpORL wrote:Maybe they meant the fanbase. This has absolutely no connection to the Cleveland Papa John's places. You'll just put a couple people from Cleveland out of jobs and it'll barely harm Papa John's.

Haha, we need those jobs! This has to really piss off the people who run Papa Johns locations in Northeastern Ohio the most though, seeing as they are the ones who will have their stores hurt. No doubt they are almost all Cavs fans too, so they have to be screaming at corporate to authorize some kind of big Cavs promotion in the area for the next round. Like people said, the shirts wasn't a corporate decision, but they will probably take some kind of action in Ohio to right everything.
Basketball Fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 4

Post#23 » by Basketball Fan » Sun May 4, 2008 11:39 pm

Update: PJ's is doing damage control

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2008/05 ... _offe.html

Papa John's issues apology, pizza deal
Posted by Laura Johnston May 04, 2008 18:30PM
Categories: Breaking News
Looks like Papa John's is eating humble pie.

Or rather, serving it up to Clevelanders - for a whopping 23 cents.

(Sorry about the cheesy pun. Oops, just did it again.)

The pizza chain issued an apology Sunday for the No. 23 T-shirts emblazoned with the word "Crybaby" and the Papa John's logo, which Washington Wizards fans flaunted during Friday's playoff game in Washington DC. To show the chain's sincerity, its more than 40 area stores on Thursday will sell customers a large one-topping pie for 23 cents.

The company will donate those 23 cents from every pizza, plus $10,000, to the Cavaliers Youth Fund.

"At Papa John's, we're huge fans of Cleveland, the Cavs and LeBron James," said the company statement. "Everyone wins, and we wish the same for the Cavs and LeBron through the playoffs."

The shirts stemmed from No. 23, LeBron James', complaints about hard fouls he thought were intended to injure. Wizards Center Brendan Haywood labeled him a crybaby.

Too bad the Cavs took Game 6 105-88. And we won 23-cent pizza.

Guess that makes it no harm, no foul.
L&H_05
RealGM
And1: 94

Post#24 » by L&H_05 » Sun May 4, 2008 11:52 pm

So Wizard fans wore shirts that did absolutely nothing but make them look like idiots.. In turn, the people in Cleveland get to buy pizza's for 23cents because of Wizard fans ???

And we still won the series...

:rofl:

Ownage at it's best...
Gordon Bombay
Head Coach
And1: 79

Post#25 » by Gordon Bombay » Mon May 5, 2008 1:28 am

i gotta admit, i do love the wizard fans who helped bring everyone in the cleveland area a 23 cent pizza on thursday...thanks guys for all your help :P
L&H_05
RealGM
And1: 94

Post#26 » by L&H_05 » Mon May 5, 2008 1:32 am

miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#27 » by miller31time » Mon May 5, 2008 1:38 am

L&H_05 wrote:So Wizard fans wore shirts that did absolutely nothing but make them look like idiots.. In turn, the people in Cleveland get to buy pizza's for 23cents because of Wizard fans ???

Ownage at it's best...

Not sure where winning or losing has anything to do with this. If a player whines a lot and gets t-shirts pointing it out, how is the outcome of the series a factor? Does it make him any more or less a whiner? It's not like they were criticizing his talent (though the overrated chants were stupid, IMHO).

Not to make this into a deep discussion, since we're talking about Papa Freaking Johns Pizza.

:lol:
Gordon Bombay
Head Coach
And1: 79

Post#28 » by Gordon Bombay » Mon May 5, 2008 1:45 am

if any boston area chipolte's want to endorse a shirt chastizing lebron, im all for it :lol:
TommyTheCat
Head Coach
And1: 8

Post#29 » by TommyTheCat » Mon May 5, 2008 1:45 am

could someone in ohio order me a large peppeoni and ship it to me oregon?
WashWiz54
Veteran
And1: 434

Post#30 » by WashWiz54 » Mon May 5, 2008 2:25 am

L&H_05 wrote:So Wizard fans wore shirts that did absolutely nothing but make them look like idiots.. In turn, the people in Cleveland get to buy pizza's for 23cents because of Wizard fans ???

Ownage at it's best...

Actually in terms of pizza we came out on top. Someone made a half court shot that got everyone a free pizza! So you pay 23 cents while I paid nothing.

Washington FTW!

(in the pizza world)
Versubio
Veteran
And1: 209

Post#31 » by Versubio » Mon May 5, 2008 2:54 am

Gordon Bombay wrote:if any boston area chipolte's want to endorse a shirt chastizing lebron, im all for it :lol:

Chipotle?
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#32 » by El Turco » Mon May 5, 2008 3:09 am

Thanks Wiz Fans!
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
MoPeteRules
Pro Prospect
And1: 54

Post#33 » by MoPeteRules » Mon May 5, 2008 4:28 am

The whole boycott is a joke.. who cares if Papa John's made a few t-shirts. It's a restaurant, your taste buds don't care about LeBron James.
Spragga - The greatest trick the Raptors ever pulled was convincing the world that Defense doesn't exist.
Hypz
Head Coach
And1: 8

Post#34 » by Hypz » Mon May 5, 2008 4:34 am

So let me get this right, Cav fans in Ohio, all 5000 of them, are going to boycott Papa Johns?
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,072
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#35 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon May 5, 2008 4:46 am

Lawl, I like your sig, for reals ^^
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
CzBoobie
Assistant Coach
And1: 401

Post#36 » by CzBoobie » Mon May 5, 2008 7:53 am

Wiz fans calling someone a crybaby...irony at its finest.
KillaCro$$over
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#37 » by KillaCro$$over » Mon May 5, 2008 2:13 pm

corona wrote:i don't know about the rest of you....but i visit pizza establishments because i like their pizza, not because their preference of basketball players around the nba is the same as mine.

:dontknow:

exactly
Nuggets & Broncos #1 Fan

Elway=G.O.A.T
Iverson=G.O.A.T
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,072
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#38 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon May 5, 2008 2:14 pm

Bull, I only eat at Chris Paul approved Pizza places.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
C'mon Cavs
Starter
And1: 5

Post#39 » by C'mon Cavs » Mon May 5, 2008 2:19 pm

So I'll be eating my 23 cent pizza on Thursday...I'll probably get pepperoni as the topping.

I wonder how long the wait is gonna be...I'll probably have to order at like 6 if I wanna eat the pizza during the game.
Master Shake
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#40 » by Master Shake » Mon May 5, 2008 2:38 pm

Seriously, only Cleveland fans would try to boycott after something like this, and then they'll realize how much they love pizza, and all go buy the 23 cent pizzas.

I must say though, Papa John's was right on the money with those T-shirts. That was priceless.
whatchaknow wrote: I would rather have Batum than Monroe...

Well, at least we aren't Cleveland... seriously... Indians, Cavs, Browns... ouch.

Return to The General Board