Game 7: Who do you fear the most?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,691

Game 7: Who do you fear the most? 

Post#1 » by DowJones » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:35 am

Imagine for a second if your favorite team was in the NBA Finals and it all came down to a game 7. Which 1 current player would you fear the most? Imagine that you have a very good defense like Boston or Detroit. Also disregard the team that the player plays for, so if you fear Dwayne Wade the most then don't toss him out just because he plays for the Heat. Just pick the one player that you would LEAST want to see on the other team in game 7 of the NBA Finals.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Re: Game 7: Who do you fear the most? 

Post#2 » by Flash3 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:36 am

Kobe
LeBron
Wade

The best 3 swingmen in the game today that can take it to the hoop at will, take you off the dribble, and can get a jumper w/ever they so desire, granted off of their driving game, the defense will give them that space.

Kobe and Wade have proven that in a closing game in the Finals for their respective teams, they can come up big.
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
L&H_05
RealGM
And1: 94

Post#3 » by L&H_05 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:13 am

LeBron.. There's nobody else like him in the league... The combination of size, speed, intelligence and leadership gives him the nod..

And since I have a new found respect for Paul Pierce, I'll take him as well...He played big in the big games.. He's smart, has great footwork, knows how to get to the line, can kills you inside and outside..And if you're putting up 40+ in game 7, you're legit...So I'm drinking the Paul Pierce Kool-Aid at the moment..

LeBron
Pierce
CB4MiamiHeat
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#4 » by CB4MiamiHeat » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:33 am

Shaq or Duncan. The fact that you specifically said NBA Finals makes me pick those 2.

Kobe has not been as good in the Finals as he usually is.
Lebron was not very good his 1st Finals.
Wade did very well, but thats 1 time. Ill take the guys that got it done 3x.
Rasheeed!!!
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,507

Post#5 » by Rasheeed!!! » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:59 am

Stern
Bavetta
Salvatore
And 1 Amare
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#6 » by And 1 Amare » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:00 am

Kobe Bryant
Dwyane Wade
Tim Duncan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHVPEFam_Og
| Monta Ellis | Marco Belinelli | Anthony Randolph | Brandan Wright | Andris Biedrins |
Philly Fresh
Senior
And1: 2

Post#7 » by Philly Fresh » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:05 am

Chris Paul
Bucky O'Hare
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#8 » by Bucky O'Hare » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:14 am

I'd go with LeBron and Duncan, in that order.

Kobe hasn't lived up to his legacy as an assassin lately.
Alex_De_Large
Lead Assistant
And1: 45

Post#9 » by Alex_De_Large » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:31 am

Duncan because Kobe is over-rated.
And 1 Amare
Banned User

Post#10 » by And 1 Amare » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:42 am

Which point guard would you guys fear, or at least worry bout?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHVPEFam_Og
| Monta Ellis | Marco Belinelli | Anthony Randolph | Brandan Wright | Andris Biedrins |
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#11 » by HarlemHeat37 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:51 am

Kobe? NBA finals? #1 option?..see: 2008, 2004..

I'll take Shaq and Duncan in their primes..but right now, I'll take The King James..he was amazing in game 7 vs. the champs this year..

PG's..the only PG I would fear in this situation is Paul..
kooldude
Lead Assistant
And1: 78

Post#12 » by kooldude » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:19 am

I would still pick Kobe. Haters *cough*Harlemheat*cough* :) will hate on him because he failed against historic defenses but with the current players now, it has to be Kobe. Right now the Celtics defense is the best so if I had that defense, I would still fear Kobe more even now because the gameplay against Lebron/Wade is the same and it works better than against Kobe. And this when the Celtics hasn't clicked together yet, right off letting the Hawks go to 7 games.

The strategy against Kobe was great. And the reason why it works continually was because Kobe's teammates didn't do jack to help him. It's when Kobe's supporting cast help that the opposing team had to make adjustments which frees up things for Kobe. But when they didn't, it's easy to use 5 against 1.
Warspite wrote:I still would take Mitch (Richmond) over just about any SG playing today. His peak is better than 2011 Kobe and with 90s rules hes better than Wade.

Jordan23Forever wrote:People are delusional.
HarlemHeat37
Banned User

Post#13 » by HarlemHeat37 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:41 am

I won't acknowledge his teammates "playing poorly" in the finals as the reason Kobe struggled..ridiculous..why do they get the blame for everything? it wasn't all them at all..they looked pretty good when the Lakers got a 20-point lead in the 3rd quarter..why couldn't Kobe bail them out when Boston started making their run? he's Kobe Bryant, he's better than Jordan..

who's gonna get the blame when Kobe can't win with the same team + Bynum? I'm gonna guess Phil Jackson..

interesting..

what about the 2004 finals, where Kobe had "good teammates"?..

why did Kobe take so many more shots than Shaq in 2004, while shooting about 20% less from the field?..despite Shaq being played in single coverage and playing great in the series..

I'm just curious..

Kobe in close-out games in the NBA finals averages 21.2 PPG on 32% shooting..not that clutch..
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,691

Post#14 » by DowJones » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:44 am

The PG question was interesting.

In all honesty, there aren't many (if any?) PG's I would truly fear. PG is a different position because I don't think they have that ability to flip a switch and go into "I am going to do everything in my blessed power not to lose this game" mode. I don't think a guy like Chris Paul, Steve Nash, Tony Parker, Deron Williams, etc can step their game up an extra level for a game 7. PG's are passive by nature...they have to be.

I would take a guard like James-Wade-Bryant as of now. Big men like Shaq and TD can also do it, but those 2 are past their prime and I don't see any truly great big man having that same type of skill level yet. Howard, Ming, Bosh, etc all have a long way to go.

For my money I would go with LeBron. It just seems like he has that ability to know when to take a game over. He literally did everything he could in game 7 against Boston, but in the end it just wasn't enough. It was enough against Detroit in that epic game 5. I think LeBron just has that "attack" mode that Kobe lacks. LeBron has the size/physical ability to just will his way to the rim, and that is always a safer bet than a jumper. LeBron also has that rare ability to get his teammates to play above their talent level. Lets be honest here, Cleveland had no business getting to the Finals last year or taking Boston to a game 7. Hell, even Atlanta surrounded Joe Johnson with FAR more talent than Cleveland has around James.
HarlemHeat37
Banned User

Post#15 » by HarlemHeat37 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:48 am

btw, stop calling me a "Kobe hater"..I'm not..I love Kobe, he's one of my favorites..I just criticize him because I love him so much..he always disappoints me..the inability to win as a #1 and choking in 2004 and 2008..the need for the spotlight, which cost his team a title in 2004..throwing teammates under the bus..off-court activities that I don't wanna discuss, because I might throw up..

I love this guy..I wanna see him do well..he just disappoints me..so much skill, but such little understanding of leadership and how to mix his game when it matters..
thebigjustice
Banned User

Post#16 » by thebigjustice » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:03 am

Well Wade is the only unstoppable player in the NBA today, so I'll take Wade (he shot 64% against Detroit in the Conference Finals). Duncan and Pierce also stand-out. If we are talking about the past then obviously Shaq in his prime.
RJM
General Manager
And1: 2,266

Post#17 » by RJM » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:17 am

1. Paul Pierce
2. James Posey
3. LeBron James (Just not at the line.)
4. Robert Horry
5. Tim Duncan
PritchSlap
Banned User

Post#18 » by PritchSlap » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:33 am

Sasha Vujacic
shawngoat23
Lead Assistant
And1: 286

Post#19 » by shawngoat23 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:54 am

It used to be Kobe, quite easily. But he's underwhelmed in key moments quite a few times now.

Now, no one come to mind in particular. There are certainly clutch players, but no one I truly fear anymore.
penbeast0 wrote:Yes, he did. And as a mod, I can't even put him on ignore . . . sigh.
Patty Mills
Junior
And1: 34

Post#20 » by Patty Mills » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:05 am

Rasheeed!!! wrote:Stern
Bavetta
Salvatore

LOL

I'd pick Kobe, Lebron and KG

Return to The General Board