USA select team = LOL

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

J~Rush
Head Coach
And1: 28

Re: USA select team = LOL 

Post#61 » by J~Rush » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:01 am

OGSactownballer wrote:Basically as was pointed out above - these are THE BEST American players (you cannot use foreign players like Batum - and I am actually hoping that post was a joke) that play International style ball. Everybody on that team is a high percentage shooter, very efficient, and can creat their own offense either in iso or post by putting the ball on the floor. I would actually favor this team in International competition because they play the game the way the FIBA rules make it be played.

In case nobody has noticed, since the original dream team opened up the eyes of the world to NBA basketball, we no longer have much of a monopoly on acting as though our guys are jhust going to show up and be handed the gold medal.

Arguably three of the top five players in the NBA right now (Duncan, Nowitski and Nash) are all from other countries. The arguments over that point will come now, but my answer to that is - check the records over the past five seasons and look at the hardware.

I know you were trying to make a point but Dirk is not a top 5 player in the NBA.
e
thegreatblaze
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#62 » by thegreatblaze » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:05 am

J~Rush wrote:
I know you were trying to make a point but Dirk is not a top 5 player in the NBA.

Neither is Nash. Dirk is better than Nash, IMO.
i<3basketball
Junior
And1: 3

Post#63 » by i<3basketball » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:45 am

Kevin Love and Robin Lopez added to the select team. Well adding Kevin Love was a good decision, but Robin Lopez?? There's another hear scratcher for this select team unless they expect him to play the high energy guy of a pesky opposing team. I think they could have gotten someone better, but oh well.
LakerFanMan
Lead Assistant
And1: 16

Post#64 » by LakerFanMan » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:17 am

That team is pretty damn bad. You'd think they'd want more players who have actually played in the NBA on the team.
Killuminati
Sixth Man
And1: 33

Post#65 » by Killuminati » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:12 am

Wow. Put Mutombo as a C man.
britblazerdude
RealGM
And1: 1,344

Post#66 » by britblazerdude » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:43 am

IDK why it's such a bad thing. College football and NFL teams practice on scrubs all throughout summer and during the season.
To Dare Is To Do? 13 League Titles. You've only got 2.
Malapropism
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,411

Post#67 » by Malapropism » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:39 am

Bayless has been added to the Select Team.
SabasRevenge!
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#68 » by SabasRevenge! » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:13 pm

I like the select team. It's good for the promising young guys to play against what they aspire. They're not going to pull vets out of their summer to practice against the Team USA squad, so young players make sense. The Robin Lopez decision is a good one because the team didn't have a center. Horford played center last year and Lamarcus can play some center, but neither are true centers. I think it's an honor for a young guy to be chosen for the select team and people don't need to be sore about it if their team didn't have anyone picked.
kingofthecourt67
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,549

Post#69 » by kingofthecourt67 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:53 pm

Iguodala won't be playing because of his contract situation.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#70 » by theGreatRC » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:33 am

Adding the top two players in the Summer League in Love and Bayless will be interesting; hopefully they can do some damage against the best players in the NBA.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
OzThunder
Rookie
And1: 393

Post#71 » by OzThunder » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:13 am

OdenRoyLMA2 wrote:
Sephiroth wrote:I think I speak for NBA fans everywhere when I ask:

"Where is Brandon Roy, Greg Oden, Sergio Rodriguez, Jerryd Bayless, etc, etc...?"

Yup, all those guys need to be on there. They are all top 10 players of all-time, duh. And Sergio is too good to be on his national team anyway.

Portland will win championships for the next gazillion years, book it!

:roll:

Wade2k6 wrote:
:lol:

Got a good laugh out of that one.

Do you visit this site often? http://www.4thgradehumor.com

I'm sure you'll get a few "good" laughs.

the irony is working on 7 or 8 levels
Young_Star11
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,767

Post#72 » by Young_Star11 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:51 am

prorl wrote:Its just a practice squad. They needed somone to beat up on. No big deal.
Frosty
General Manager
And1: 13,330

Post#73 » by Frosty » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:32 pm

"P.J. Carlesimo has been coaching the Select Team with assistance from former Canadian national team coach Jay Triano. Many of the scrimmages have been close -- the senior team actually has lost a couple -- but details have had to come secondhand, with the U.S. federation not allowing reporters to watch."

From espn
Atheism is a non-prophet organization

Return to The General Board