Josh Childress considering Greek offer...

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Hassassin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,608

Re: Josh Childress considering Greek offer... 

Post#141 » by Hassassin » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:03 pm

HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#142 » by HarlemHeat37 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:12 pm

I wonder if the owners even know who Childress is..he might just be "a tall black man that played significant minutes in the NBA"..judging by the list of mediocre players making a lot of money in Europe, a black man that played significant minutes in the NBA and is still in his prime would automatically get that kind of money..I bet there were like 5 fans that know who he is though..
Lakers_4_Life
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#143 » by Lakers_4_Life » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:16 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:
panacea wrote:
hype_2004 wrote:Josh Childress just gave a big F.U to Hawks Ownership, restricted FA and the monopolizing arrogance of David Stern. This signing is unprecedented coming from a young rising star of the NBA, this is a victory for the UNRESTRICTED free-market capitalism and all of the entire crop of basketball players in the USA.

:rofl: :rofl:

I don't understand why all this hate for Childress just because he decided to bolt for Europe. You don't think a 25-year old player who averaged 11.8 ppg on 57% shooting and 4.9 rpg and didn't even start deserves to be called young rising star?

Most US NBA fans speak in codes. As long as Childress played with Hawks he was "a legit NBA 6th man", the moment he signed with Olympiacos he is now "a scrub that could not hack it in the NBA so he went to the minor leagues".

Just ignore it.
KB #24 = NBA's #1
Lakers Fan 4 Life
Lakers_4_Life
Banned User

Post#144 » by Lakers_4_Life » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:21 pm

HarlemHeat37 wrote:I wonder if the owners even know who Childress is..he might just be "a tall black man that played significant minutes in the NBA"..judging by the list of mediocre players making a lot of money in Europe, a black man that played significant minutes in the NBA and is still in his prime would automatically get that kind of money..I bet there were like 5 fans that know who he is though..

You can't be serious. A club the size of Olympiacos probably has twice the size scouting section of any NBA team.

And man those racial remarks are very offensive. There are all kinds of black players in Europe. That was way over the line what you said there.
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#145 » by Buck You » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:23 pm

Don't the Hawks still have his bird rights though?
HarlemHeat37
Banned User

Post#146 » by HarlemHeat37 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:23 pm

it was a joke..except for the part that any player that played significant NBA minutes could get big money there..
panacea
Veteran

Post#147 » by panacea » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:24 pm

Lakers_4_Life wrote:
Rasho Brezec wrote:I don't understand why all this hate for Childress just because he decided to bolt for Europe. You don't think a 25-year old player who averaged 11.8 ppg on 57% shooting and 4.9 rpg and didn't even start deserves to be called young rising star?

Most US NBA fans speak in codes. As long as Childress played with Hawks he was "a left NBA 6th man", the moment he signed with Olympiacos he is now "a scrub that could not hack it in the NBA so he went to the minor leagues".

Just ignore it.

For all your talk about US fans, you sure are classless. No one said anything even remotely close to "he's a scrub that could not hack it in the NBA", but leave it to you to jump to wild conclusions that are completely inaccurate. I just think its laughable (hence the :rofl:) that he's considered a "rising star". That's IT.
Malinhion
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#148 » by Malinhion » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:24 pm

Lakers_4_Life wrote:You can't be serious. A club the size of Olympiacos probably has twice the size scouting section of any NBA team.

This sentence makes no sense. Not because its based on wildly inaccurate paradigms, like every one of your other posts. Simply because its incoherent.
HarlemHeat37
Banned User

Post#149 » by HarlemHeat37 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:25 pm

I noticed that too.."rising star" LOL..
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#150 » by miller31time » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:27 pm

panacea wrote:For all your talk about US fans, you sure are classless. No one said anything even remotely close to "he's a scrub that could not hack it in the NBA", but leave it to you to jump to wild conclusions that are completely inaccurate. I just think its laughable (hence the :rofl:) that he's considered a "rising star". That's IT.

Yeah, Childress is a very solid role player and he will get better, but to say he's a "rising star" is not only pushing it, it simply will not happen. He doesn't have the skill-set that could be classified as a star's. He just does the things a very good role player does -- defend, hustle and be competent on offense.
DFO
Sophomore

Post#151 » by DFO » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:34 pm

Doesn't this set the value for Luol Deng as well???

Childress is a year and a half older, and they are both about the same size.

Childress had higher shooting percentages than Deng in 2007-08
FG% — 57 > 48
3PT% — 37 > 36
FT% — 81>77

On a per 48 minutes played basis Deng scores (24.1 to 19) more, while there is little statistical difference in their rebounding (LD 8.9, JC 7.9), assists (LD 3.5, JC 2.5), steals (JC 1.5, LD 1.3), blocked shots (JC 0.9, LD 0.7). and turnovers (JC 2.1, JC 2.7).
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#152 » by hsb » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:34 pm

panacea wrote:ETA: I should also mention that it's extremely unlikely that he will STAY there. How does this help the Euro league talent level if, essentially, what players start doing are cashing in over there for 1 or 2 years, and then returning to the NBA when its fiscally advantageous to do so? This says more about RFA than anything.

I see your point but I disagree this wont help the European teams talent wise. This can only help teams in Europe. The way things are slowly moving is pretty interesting. One cannot be too pessimistic to what might come out of this deal, especially when many didn't think an average American NBA talent would go to Europe in the first place.

This deal may give legitimacy for players to consider Europe a viable option in the future. Plus, Childress is getting paid big bucks to play in a beautiful city in Piraeus, Greece. Great deal for him.
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
Lakers_4_Life
Banned User

Post#153 » by Lakers_4_Life » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:39 pm

miller31time wrote:
panacea wrote:For all your talk about US fans, you sure are classless. No one said anything even remotely close to "he's a scrub that could not hack it in the NBA", but leave it to you to jump to wild conclusions that are completely inaccurate. I just think its laughable (hence the :rofl:) that he's considered a "rising star". That's IT.

Yeah, Childress is a very solid role player and he will get better, but to say he's a "rising star" is not only pushing it, it simply will not happen. He doesn't have the skill-set that could be classified as a star's. He just does the things a very good role player does -- defend, hustle and be competent on offense.

Kindly point out where I ever said he was a "rising star".
KB #24 = NBA's #1
Lakers Fan 4 Life
Malinhion
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#154 » by Malinhion » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:40 pm

It was on an earlier page. I don't recall if it was from the interview or another poster, but I saw it.
Lakers_4_Life
Banned User

Post#155 » by Lakers_4_Life » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:42 pm

DFO wrote:Doesn't this set the value for Luol Deng as well???

Childress is a year and a half older, and they are both about the same size.

Childress had higher shooting percentages than Deng in 2007-08
FG% — 57 > 48
3PT% — 37 > 36
FT% — 81>77

On a per 48 minutes played basis Deng scores (24.1 to 19) more, while there is little statistical difference in their rebounding (LD 8.9, JC 7.9), assists (LD 3.5, JC 2.5), steals (JC 1.5, LD 1.3), blocked shots (JC 0.9, LD 0.7). and turnovers (JC 2.1, JC 2.7).

There are already rumors about Panathinaikos trying to sign Deng.
KB #24 = NBA's #1
Lakers Fan 4 Life
Lakers_4_Life
Banned User

Post#156 » by Lakers_4_Life » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:44 pm

Malinhion wrote:It was on an earlier page. I don't recall if it was from the interview or another poster, but I saw it.

I don't remember ever typing that.
KB #24 = NBA's #1
Lakers Fan 4 Life
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#157 » by BillessuR6 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:48 pm

I will definitely watch some Olympiakos games this season! Can`t wait to see Childress in Europe!
panacea
Veteran

Post#158 » by panacea » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:52 pm

Lakers_4_Life wrote:
Malinhion wrote:It was on an earlier page. I don't recall if it was from the interview or another poster, but I saw it.

I don't remember ever typing that.

YOU didn't. but you DID just down our throats when we responded negatively to the notion that said that he was a young rising star. No one ever said you said it ... reading comprehension is key.
panacea
Veteran

Post#159 » by panacea » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:56 pm

hsb wrote:
I see your point but I disagree this wont help the European teams talent wise.

How?

This can only help teams in Europe. The way things are slowly moving is pretty interesting. One cannot be too pessimistic to what might come out of this deal, especially when many didn't think an average American NBA talent would go to Europe in the first place.

he's going to get a short-term payout, then will return when he is no longer confined to the ridiculous rules that come with restricted free agency. how does this help?

This deal may give legitimacy for players to consider Europe a viable option in the future. Plus, Childress is getting paid big bucks to play in a beautiful city in Piraeus, Greece. Great deal for him.

under these circumstances, who else (but average players who find themselves in temporary financial limbo) will even consider this? superstars will almost always be extended, and if they won't, other teams WILL take a risk to sign them (if only to have the deal matched). furthermore, nothing you said has anything to do with my question - but i digress.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,233

Post#160 » by Dan Z » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:56 pm

Aside from the money I'm surprised nobody has brought up the issue of living in Europe. Maybe Childress also thought it'd be great to live out here? He gets to experience a new way of living and all the great things that Greece has to offer.

Return to The General Board