David Stern's take on Childress

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

MrCheerios
Analyst
And1: 887

Re: David Stern's take on Childress 

Post#41 » by MrCheerios » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:41 pm

mobiuseinz wrote:
Bobbcats wrote:3. Basketball takes up less space.

3. Not true. I juggle the ball in my room all day long if I want to. I cant bounce my basketball in my room cos of my neighbor downstairs.

Isn't that more of a noise issue than a space issue? If you lived on the first floor you could do ballhandling in a bathtub if you wanted to.

Anyway, the popularity of a sport is not determined by how easy it is to pick up. If it were, running or boxing would rule the sports world. You can train for both either by yourself or with other people and no equipment is required. Everyone already knows how to run and throw punches anyway, so technically everyone already has picked it up. Yet American football and baseball rule the US, hockey rules Canada, and football rules the rest of the world. People just want to watch competition, not necessarily participate in it.
mobiuseinz
Analyst
And1: 8

Post#42 » by mobiuseinz » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:33 pm

KobeFarmarEra wrote:
obinna wrote:3) England use have all the elite soccer players/leagues. Now? Not so much.

Basketball will soon become the world's favorite sport considering how rapidly basketball is growing.

Manchester United
Chelsea
Arsenal
Liverpool
Tottenham (rising)
Portsmouth (rising)

esp. the top 3 teams are strong. Manchester even has the worlds best player in C. Ronaldo.

tough chance of becoming the #1 sport in the world when close to 2 billion people tune in for the world cup finals... where as the NBA finals barely reaches 8% in the US alone.

MrCheerios wrote:
mobiuseinz wrote:3. Not true. I juggle the ball in my room all day long if I want to. I cant bounce my basketball in my room cos of my neighbor downstairs.

Isn't that more of a noise issue than a space issue? If you lived on the first floor you could do ballhandling in a bathtub if you wanted to.

Anyway, the popularity of a sport is not determined by how easy it is to pick up. If it were, running or boxing would rule the sports world. You can train for both either by yourself or with other people and no equipment is required. Everyone already knows how to run and throw punches anyway, so technically everyone already has picked it up. Yet American football and baseball rule the US, hockey rules Canada, and football rules the rest of the world. People just want to watch competition, not necessarily participate in it.

True, it is also an issue of noise. But what separates football from running and boxing is that football, like basketball is a team sport. Yes you can individually excel at it, but ultimately you can't play 1 vs 11 or in basketball's case 1 on 5. I love both sports to death, 2 of my favorite sports, but realistically looking at the world... no chance that Basketball will overtake Football as the #1 sport, although it will definitely be #2.
dflash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 157

Post#43 » by dflash3 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:10 pm

Haha what a poor attempt to put a positive spin on losing a nba player to a club overseas. And basketball is my favorite sport to watch and play, but there is no way basketball will ever be bigger than soccer. In fact, I get more excited about watching the World Cup than I do watching FIBA.
Joseph17
RealGM
And1: 529

Post#44 » by Joseph17 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:23 pm

Lol Stern is acting like Childress is David Beckham. Which European Football fans would actually care about watching Josh Childress? A lot of European players are better than him.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#45 » by 5DOM » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:49 pm

josh childress could actually destroy this sports.

if this guys busts, it's gonna be pretty ugly

Return to The General Board