Monta Ellis re-signs with the Warriors

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

wfiles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,285

Monta Ellis re-signs with the Warriors 

Post#1 » by wfiles » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:42 am

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wireta ... year_deal/

1 down and 10 more RFA's to go.

1. Emeka Okafor
2. Ben Gordon
3. Luol Deng
4. Andre Iguodala
5. Andris Biedrins
6. Josh Smith
7. J.R. Smith
8. Delonte West
9. Sasha Vujacic
10. Carl Landry
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Re: Monta Ellis re-signs with the Warriors 

Post#2 » by Flash3 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:48 am

How much?
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
Hypz
Head Coach
And1: 8

Post#3 » by Hypz » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:50 am

Good for him, his future looks bright, and he really seems like a genuine and modest person.
Carl_Monday
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#4 » by Carl_Monday » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:50 am

Flash3 wrote:How much?

6 years, $66 mil
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#5 » by Flash3 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:53 am

Ehh, not bad at all.
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
Carl_Monday
Veteran

Post#6 » by Carl_Monday » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:54 am

Little higher than I hoped, but definitely fair.
Rodya
Starter
And1: 16

Post#7 » by Rodya » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:04 am

66 million? Wow, the kid is an impressive player but that's just ridiculous. He reminds me of a more athletic version of Barbosa, but his stats seem bloated by Nellie's system. I expected him to net a 5 year 45-50 million deal. Deng/Okafor/Gordon are all looking for deals that Monta just got. Each of which are better players than Ellis. Hell of a shopping spree for GS this summer, interested to see if they'll make the playoffs this upcoming season.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#8 » by Warriors Analyst » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:17 am

Gordon and Deng better than Ellis? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rasheeed!!!
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,507

Post#9 » by Rasheeed!!! » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:18 am

What? Ellis is not worse than Deng/Okafor/Gordon. All things considered a reasonable deal.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#10 » by miller31time » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:22 am

Very fair deal. At least Golden State doesn't completely strike out this season.
kno
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24

Post#11 » by kno » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:22 am

Easily one of the better deals this offseason (or any in the recent past) has seen.

Ellis is definitely one of the most talented players in the league. Should be interesting to see how he does without Baron next to him.
Troubadour
RealGM
And1: 8,192

Post#12 » by Troubadour » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:26 am

miller31time wrote:Very fair deal. At least Golden State doesn't completely strike out this season.

I would hardly call getting Corey Maggette for Baron Davis striking out!

Yeah, good for Monta. I've always thought he was a bit over-rated, but good for him, he got his money.

As for the two Bulls RFAs, I wouldn't be surprised if not one, but both bolt. The Bulls management doesn't seem to be doing anything to attract Gordon or Deng to resign.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#13 » by SacKingZZZ » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:35 am

Wow, that is a LOT of $$$ for a 6'2" SG. Good for him and the W's.
wfiles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,285

Post#14 » by wfiles » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:45 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:Wow, that is a LOT of $$$ for a 6'2" SG. Good for him and the W's.

He got almost the same as Kevin Martin. Are you saying Kevin Martin is overpaid too?
positivetension
Veteran
And1: 1,137

Post#15 » by positivetension » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:49 am

Warriors Analyst wrote:Gordon and Deng better than Ellis? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd say Deng is probably better than Ellis, not Gordon.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#16 » by miller31time » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:50 am

Kno wrote:Ellis is definitely one of the most talented players in the league. Should be interesting to see how he does without Baron next to him.

There's no doubt in my mind he'll have a tough year next season. Davis did two things for Ellis. The first (and biggest) is be a guy who can guard both guard positions, and a guy who can body up and be physical with the person he's checking.

It's imperative, with a combo guard like Ellis, to pair him up with someone like Davis (same with Gordon paired with Hinrich, etc).

Secondly, Ellis was assisted on almost half of his made baskets. Without Davis, he's going to have to create his own shot a lot more. Now, he may thrive with these opportunities, but I'd expect a short hit at first, then as he grows as a player in later seasons, he adjusts.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#17 » by SacKingZZZ » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:57 am

Warriors Analyst wrote:Gordon and Deng better than Ellis? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think Gordon is more valuable than Ellis. Gordon is a legit 3 point threat and a much better shooter than Ellis. If Ellis has to rely on his penetrating ability his whole career than this contract is way overpaying for him.

If you are a small SG you better be able to shoot. Teams will begin to just pack it in making life very tough for him. Ellis really reminds me of a Allen Iverson type of player. If he can learn to shoot off the dribble like AI he should be fine.
timlin500
Starter
And1: 124

Post#18 » by timlin500 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:01 am

Monta may not have a legit 3 point shot yet, but he has a very good midrange game. He's not only all about penetrating.
And 1 Amare
Banned User

Post#19 » by And 1 Amare » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:28 am

RUSSIAN LIGHTNING wrote:66 million? Wow, the kid is an impressive player but that's just ridiculous. He reminds me of a more athletic version of Barbosa, but his stats seem bloated by Nellie's system. I expected him to net a 5 year 45-50 million deal. Deng/Okafor/Gordon are all looking for deals that Monta just got. Each of which are better players than Ellis. Hell of a shopping spree for GS this summer, interested to see if they'll make the playoffs this upcoming season.

More athletic version of Barbosa? To me he's like a more athletic version of Tony Parker.

The difference between Barbosa and Ellis, is that Barbosa tends to clank shots and mess up whenever he's in a halfcourt set. With Ellis, you'll see him in the half court making sweet mid range shots and driving in over guys like KG, Duncan, Kobe, etc.

The thing with Ellis is that people ALWAYS get the misconception that he is a product of Nellie's system. Whether he's in the fastbreak or half court, Monta Ellis can make shots; Marv Albert already stated that he's on the same level as Rip Hamilton when it comes to mid range shooting. You really have to see the guy play to actually appreciate his smooth jumper, the guy will make them in a half court set with ease, most of the time.

Take a look at this. He averaged 26 PPG on over 60% shooting for the ENTIRE month of February. Also, he's a 20 ppg scorer even though there were two other 20ppg swingmen on the Warriors. Golden State had three 20point players in Davis, Ellis, and Jackson; so even if Ellis gets more opportunities to score in Nellie's system it still doesn't mean it shows him at his best... because if he was the number one option in Golden State he would have been averaging 25ppg at the LEAST. It's just that Baron and Jackson were great scorers as well and needed the ball too. By the time he's 24 years old he'll be an All-Star IMO.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHVPEFam_Og
| Monta Ellis | Marco Belinelli | Anthony Randolph | Brandan Wright | Andris Biedrins |
And 1 Amare
Banned User

Post#20 » by And 1 Amare » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:40 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:

I think Gordon is more valuable than Ellis. Gordon is a legit 3 point threat and a much better shooter than Ellis. If Ellis has to rely on his penetrating ability his whole career than this contract is way overpaying for him.

If you are a small SG you better be able to shoot. Teams will begin to just pack it in making life very tough for him. Ellis really reminds me of a Allen Iverson type of player. If he can learn to shoot off the dribble like AI he should be fine.

So Gordon is better than Ellis because Gordon shoots three's?

Ellis can score 20 points in a game without even the need of making a three pointer. He already had a game where he scored 36 points without even attempting a single 3pointer or free throw. It's funny because he's only 22 years old, and anyone would be crazy to think that he already reached his peak; he'll definitely have 3 point range soon in his career. He decides not to shoot three's even though he plays for a coach that gives him a green light to shoot three's, so at least he has good shot selection. Just imagine how good he'll be once he gets his range.

Return to The General Board