Greatest NBA players of all time in their prime: 82-0

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

82-0?

Yes and championship
58%
Yes and lose in the playoffs
No votes
Nope,
42%

Total votes: 62

ljp24
Bench Warmer
And1: 21

Greatest NBA players of all time in their prime: 82-0 

Post#1 » by ljp24 » Tue Aug 5, 2008 7:39 pm

PG: Magic, Stockton, Oscar
SG: Jordan, Kobe, West
SF: Bird, Pippen, Lebron(unlimited potential, could easily end up here)
PF: Duncan, Malone, Barkley
C: Russell, Kareem/Wilt,

No weaknesses, juggarent offenses with the 3 greatest scorers of all time with Wilt, MJ and Kobe. Defense off the wall with the SGs, Pippen, Duncan, Russell, etc. Even with this team having a bad day, I can't see them scoring less than 105pts a game while holding their opponent to 70.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,816

Re: Greatest NBA players of all time in their prime: 82-0 

Post#2 » by cdubbz » Tue Aug 5, 2008 8:01 pm

well if theyre playing against the current teams in the NBA then yeah i would say 82-0. Even with injuries u have a stacked lineup. i would actually put duncan behind malone just sothe team has some extra scoring in the SL
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
The Main Event
Assistant Coach
And1: 576

Post#3 » by The Main Event » Tue Aug 5, 2008 8:15 pm

go dig up aerosmith's greatest hits album and crank, "DREAM ONNNNNNNNNNNNN"
"A particular shot or way of moving the ball can be a player's personal signature, but efficiency of performance is what wins the game for the team."
- Pat Riley
EtchenBa
Starter
And1: 573

Post#4 » by EtchenBa » Tue Aug 5, 2008 8:24 pm

Poll needs the option of "No, but they win the championship"
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,782

Post#5 » by RoyceDa59 » Tue Aug 5, 2008 8:42 pm

I find it odd that neither Wilt Chamberlain nor Kareem-Abdul Jabbar - the two greatest centers in the history of the NBA - failed to make your starting line up.

That being said, I think that team would win between 75-80 games. The starting line up lacks outside shooting and maybe cohesion.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#6 » by greenbeans » Tue Aug 5, 2008 8:51 pm

RoyceDa59 wrote:I find it odd that neither Wilt Chamberlain nor Kareem-Abdul Jabbar - the two greatest centers in the history of the NBA - failed to make your starting line up.

the 2 best BEHIND Russell, no question. maybe if your lookin to cast a sopa opera or startup a sperm bank those would be your guys.
Myth_Breaker
Lead Assistant
And1: 58

Post#7 » by Myth_Breaker » Tue Aug 5, 2008 8:55 pm

greenbeans wrote:
RoyceDa59 wrote:I find it odd that neither Wilt Chamberlain nor Kareem-Abdul Jabbar - the two greatest centers in the history of the NBA - failed to make your starting line up.

the 2 best BEHIND Russell, no question. maybe if your lookin to cast a sopa opera or startup a sperm bank those would be your guys.

Out of all moronic posts I've seen on these boards yours still stands out... congratulations.
http://wiltfan.tripod.com
Read: Edward Lucas "The New Cold War: Putin's Russia and the Threat to the West".
"So what, son, did your Poles help you?" YES, WE DID!
***** *** Kukiza i KonfederacjÄ™!
greenbeans
RealGM

Post#8 » by greenbeans » Tue Aug 5, 2008 8:58 pm

jeez, thanks, because it means a lot to me what a random d****e on amessage board thinks of me.

and Perk>Bynum
Myth_Breaker
Lead Assistant
And1: 58

Post#9 » by Myth_Breaker » Tue Aug 5, 2008 9:02 pm

greenbeans wrote:jeez, thanks, because it means a lot to me what a random d****e on amessage board thinks of me.

I bet it's quite on the contrary: for majority of us it means so much what idiocy we're gonna hear from you next time except just admiring the scale of this idiocy...

and Perk>Bynum

... or maybe not, though this last gem of yours is definitely sig-worthy.
http://wiltfan.tripod.com
Read: Edward Lucas "The New Cold War: Putin's Russia and the Threat to the West".
"So what, son, did your Poles help you?" YES, WE DID!
***** *** Kukiza i KonfederacjÄ™!
greenbeans
RealGM

Post#10 » by greenbeans » Tue Aug 5, 2008 9:09 pm

yup, still the same
Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach
And1: 192

Post#11 » by Celtsfan1980 » Tue Aug 5, 2008 9:25 pm

I'd put Baylor in for the 3 position and take Pippen out. It's hard to say because you just can't put many contrasting styles together and expect them to gel automatically.
Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach
And1: 192

Post#12 » by Celtsfan1980 » Tue Aug 5, 2008 9:32 pm

It depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for a player who is clutch and passionate about winning and can get along with their coach, then you go with Russell and Jabaar. If you're looking for a player who can put up great numbers but can't get along with his coaches and shies away with the game on the line, Chamberlain would be the answer. Personally I love a player who is passionate about winning so Russell and Jabaar would be my selection.
abcdef
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#13 » by abcdef » Tue Aug 5, 2008 9:47 pm

Personally I'd move Russell to PF and knock Chuck off the team.
SixStringAxis
Sophomore
And1: 40

Post#14 » by SixStringAxis » Tue Aug 5, 2008 9:57 pm

I think they easily could do it as long as every player had time to completely learn the coaches system. As long as there are no holes in the defense I dont see why they couldnt do it. When USA lost 2 years ago in the worlds I remember Greece exploiting the pick and pop and literally running it every time down the court for about 8 minutes straight. They also only missed the once or twice and it was the main reason the team shot like 60% in that game. USA still almost kept up and now that they have more depth size wise at the guard position(Kidd and Kobe instead of Hinrich) its not a problem at all.

I would also put Oscar only behind Magic and Jordan. All 3 centers would be ahead of every PF.
tracey_nice
Analyst
And1: 274

Post#15 » by tracey_nice » Wed Aug 6, 2008 12:28 am

abcdef wrote:Personally I'd move Russell to PF and knock Chuck off the team.

I'd move Russell to the bench, have Hakeem and Kareem as my front court; personally, I think there are 3 or 4 Centers better than Russell...
KB20
Head Coach
And1: 4

Post#16 » by KB20 » Wed Aug 6, 2008 12:32 am

This would be my team:

5) Bill Russell/Kareem Abdul Jabbar/Hakeem Olajuwon
4) Tim Duncan/Karl Malone/Charles Barkley
3) Michael Jordan/Larry Bird/LeBron James
2) Kobe Bryant/Jerry West/Domonique Wilkins
1) Magic Johnson/Oscar Robertson/John Stockton
AgEnT50
General Manager
And1: 188

Post#17 » by AgEnT50 » Wed Aug 6, 2008 1:39 am

The Bucks could get em'
Jimmy103
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#18 » by Jimmy103 » Wed Aug 6, 2008 2:30 am

PG- Magic Johnson/Oscar Robertson
SG- Michael Jordan/Julius Erving
SF- Larry Bird/LeBron James/John Havlicek
PF- Bill Russell/Tim Duncan
C- Shaquille O'Neal/Wilt Chamberlain/Hakeem Olajuwon

Reserves
-Isiah Thomas...killer instinct, if either PG goes down he would be tenacious
-Kareem Abdul Jabbar...you can never have enough depth at big men, most these guys are athletic enough to play the 4 as well
-Reggie Miller...if Larry Bird and Michael Jordan go down this squad needs someone to drive home a dagger, ask Spike Lee, this guy can do it.
ilikecb4
Assistant Coach
And1: 4

Post#19 » by ilikecb4 » Wed Aug 6, 2008 4:22 am

I don't think any team could go 82-0 and win the championship. It'be hard. Even stacked teams like Lakers in 04 lost.

My lineup would be

Magic/Stockton/Payton
Jordan/Kobe/Reggie
Bird/Lebron/Pippen
Russel/Karl Malone/Barkley
Hakeem/Wilt/Shaq

this team could go like 80-2, and sweep their way to the championship

Obviously as of today Lebron wouldn't be on the team. But at the end of his career he will be right up there will the all time greats.
Mad Balla 15
RealGM
And1: 1,930

Post#20 » by Mad Balla 15 » Wed Aug 6, 2008 5:05 am

ilikecb4 wrote:I don't think any team could go 82-0 and win the championship. It'be hard. Even stacked teams like Lakers in 04 lost.

My lineup would be

Magic/Stockton/Payton
Jordan/Kobe/Reggie
Bird/Lebron/Pippen
Russel/Karl Malone/Barkley
Hakeem/Wilt/Shaq

this team could go like 80-2, and sweep their way to the championship

Obviously as of today Lebron wouldn't be on the team. But at the end of his career he will be right up there will the all time greats.

How you compare the 04 Lakers with an over the hill Malone and Payton to the line ups being posted is beyond me.

As far as the question, yes I believe this team would go 82-0 simply just because of the talent level. Even if 8 of the players are having an off game which is unlikely, especially for the Centres, then the other 7 players can even step in and win the game. Your talking about a team with the greatest players of ALL TIME on the same time, regardless of their cohesiveness and off games, there will always be someone to pick up the slack.

Also, please do not compare the current USA olympic roster to this team as this team would destroy them hands down if all these players were in their prime. Not only can this team score they can play defense, rebound, pass and most importantly almost every player on the team has a killer instinct. If Jordan or Bird has an off game you still have Magic or Wilt or Kareem, and visa versa.

If you put this current team with all the players being in their prime against the current NBA teams there's no doubt in my mind they would go 82-0.

Return to The General Board