The Southeast Division!

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

The Southeast Division! 

Post#1 » by DelaneyRudd » Thu Aug 7, 2008 9:35 am

The Wizards will get more wins than the Magic. Discuss.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,686

Re: The Southeast Division! 

Post#2 » by Cowology » Thu Aug 7, 2008 9:55 am

DelaneyRudd wrote:The Wizards will get more wins than the Magic. Discuss.

I think it's entirely possible. The Wiz will potentially be a potent offensive team once again, and that usually equals regular season success. Although I'm a bit curious how long it will take for everybody to readjust to the presence of Arenas. Players were forced to step (or grow) into larger roles with his absence and sometimes it's tough to put the Genie back in the bottle. Will guys who've become accustomed to taking certain shots or seeing a certain number of minutes willingly defer?

I tend to think they'll be OK in the long run, although I'd expect erratic play especially early on.

But I tend to still view the Magic as a more legit post-season presence due to their defense. I'm not sure either team will be higher than 4th, but I'd pick either Orlando or Cleveland to beat Washington in a 7 game series regardless of who held HCA.

It's no secret - the Wiz will be a regular season team until they adapt more serious defensive attitude, and reinserting Arenas into the lineup does nothing at all to help that.
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#3 » by DelaneyRudd » Thu Aug 7, 2008 10:08 am

I agree the Magic have a better post season presence. They can get one of their small guys hot more easily than the Wiz can get a big guy dominant for 4 to 7 games.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,686

Post#4 » by Cowology » Thu Aug 7, 2008 11:00 am

DelaneyRudd wrote:I agree the Magic have a better post season presence. They can get one of their small guys hot more easily than the Wiz can get a big guy dominant for 4 to 7 games.

heh, probably true.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,235

Post#5 » by eyriq » Thu Aug 7, 2008 4:59 pm

The Wizards grew a lot last year with Arenas out of the lineup. If they can maintain their defense getting Arenas back will do wonders, if not then it will be more of the same. I think this is the year that they get it together and win over 50 games and make a dent in the playoffs. I hope it's against the Cavs, lol.

But win the division? You've got to be kidding me! :wink:
Iggyemu
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Iggyemu » Thu Aug 7, 2008 6:22 pm

The Magic will own this division for years to come. If the Magic had maybe played their cards better...a pissed off Dwyane Wade would have joined them in 2010. But they gave that D-Wade money to Lewis. Never gonna win a championship with Lewis but they will own that division and win a few playoff series.
"One Ring makes a Champion......Six Rings make a Legend" - Michael Jeffrey Jordan
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,150

Post#7 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Aug 7, 2008 6:28 pm

Iggyemu wrote:The Magic will own this division for years to come. If the Magic had maybe played their cards better...a pissed off Dwyane Wade would have joined them in 2010. But they gave that D-Wade money to Lewis. Never gonna win a championship with Lewis but they will own that division and win a few playoff series.

Thats ridiculous. So the Magic were gonna wait 3 years for Wade? Too long a time to put eggs in that Wade basket. Too many things can change in that amount of time.
aka: prorl
GonzoLays
Assistant Coach
And1: 185
Location: The strongest man is he who stands alone in the face of oppression and censorship.

Post#8 » by GonzoLays » Thu Aug 7, 2008 9:04 pm

Worst division in basketball?

The Heat and Bobcats are absolutely terrible, the wizards are the east coast version of the Warriors and the Magic are too young to make any legitimate noise.

I see the Heat and Bobcats finishing with 2 of the 5 worst records in the NBA this season.
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#9 » by Buck You » Thu Aug 7, 2008 9:09 pm

Iggyemu wrote:The Magic will own this division for years to come. If the Magic had maybe played their cards better...a pissed off Dwyane Wade would have joined them in 2010. But they gave that D-Wade money to Lewis. Never gonna win a championship with Lewis but they will own that division and win a few playoff series.

I agree. I see the Magic winning this division easily.
jmbflame21
General Manager
And1: 1

Post#10 » by jmbflame21 » Thu Aug 7, 2008 9:35 pm

-----------------------------------------------------------
we dont call other members idiots around here, period...
-thief
Image Image
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Post#11 » by Ballings7 » Thu Aug 7, 2008 9:58 pm

Orlando... they're a more versatile team than Washington in terms of offense (Dwight, Lewis, Hedo, Nelson, Pietrus). Orlando vs. last year's team will be better defensively with Battie back, plus Foyle/Gortat helping out in a lesser role, and likely a more disciplined Pietrus. As well as a year under SVG.

But the Magic will be a limited playoff team as long as they continue to start Lewis at PF, and don't have a solid helper big man next to Dwight. Which I think they'll be doing with Lewis again. Dwight needs his Horace Grant, Udonis Haslem, Kurt Thomas, Robert Horry (his interior play), Otis Thorpe, PJ Brown, Charles Oakley, like other star two-way big men had in the past.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
FlashTheKilla
Lead Assistant
And1: 64

Post#12 » by FlashTheKilla » Thu Aug 7, 2008 11:20 pm

GonzoLays wrote:Worst division in basketball?

The Heat and Bobcats are absolutely terrible, the wizards are the east coast version of the Warriors and the Magic are too young to make any legitimate noise.

I see the Heat and Bobcats finishing with 2 of the 5 worst records in the NBA this season.

Uhh...don't think so.

Northwest is worse, IMO, in terms of playoff contenders. Southeast Division has 4 teams - Orlando, Washington, Atlanta, and Heat that could very well be in the playoffs next season. NW has two that 100% will not make the playoffs (T'Wolves, OKC), and two that are bubble teams (Denver, Portland).

Also, no chance that the Heat have one of the worst 5 records in the NBA.

IMO, Heat's record is most definitely going to be better than the Knicks, Bobcats, Kings, Pacers, Grizzlies, T'Wolves, and OKC. And it may very well end up being better than the Nets, Bucks, Hawks, Bulls, and maybe even the Nuggets.
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#13 » by theTHIEF » Thu Aug 7, 2008 11:49 pm

idk, that Javale Mcgee is going to be the next............big thing?
LiquidFire
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#14 » by LiquidFire » Thu Aug 7, 2008 11:52 pm

washington sucks. even if they do make the playoffs, itll be another first round exit.. AGAIN. prolly by the cavs.
they suck. they talk and have nothing to back it up.
Iggyemu
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#15 » by Iggyemu » Fri Aug 8, 2008 1:22 am

prorl wrote:

Thats ridiculous. So the Magic were gonna wait 3 years for Wade? Too long a time to put eggs in that Wade basket. Too many things can change in that amount of time.

Oh I agree. I am just saying.........
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,238

Post#16 » by amcoolio » Fri Aug 8, 2008 2:24 am

The Bobcats are leagues better than the were last year and they had the 8th worst record in the NBA last year. So how can they finish bottom 5? And how are we eliminated from the playoffs? I guarentee anyone here the Bobcats will have a better record than Atlanta next season. Give me your paypal address and we'll make a bet.

Whats with all the Bobcats hate on this board? You do realize they finished a couple games behind Atlanta (and the 8th seed) with the worst coach in the history of the NBA, no backup point guard, Gerald Wallace missing half the season, and May and Morrison missing the whole season. OH AND they have Larry Brown (better than 90% of the coaches in the NBA) coaching this team.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#17 » by Flash3 » Fri Aug 8, 2008 2:34 am

Magic/Wizards
Heat
Bobcats
Hawks

This is a better division that it was last season, the premise that the Heat and Bobcats got better during the off-season, and it's yet to come to and end....
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
The_Answer
Rookie
And1: 40

Post#18 » by The_Answer » Fri Aug 8, 2008 4:54 am

amcoolio wrote:The Bobcats are leagues better than the were last year and they had the 8th worst record in the NBA last year. So how can they finish bottom 5? And how are we eliminated from the playoffs? I guarentee anyone here the Bobcats will have a better record than Atlanta next season. Give me your paypal address and we'll make a bet.

Whats with all the Bobcats hate on this board? You do realize they finished a couple games behind Atlanta (and the 8th seed) with the worst coach in the history of the NBA, no backup point guard, Gerald Wallace missing half the season, and May and Morrison missing the whole season. OH AND they have Larry Brown (better than 90% of the coaches in the NBA) coaching this team.

Larry Brown also coached the Knicks........

But I actually like the Bobcats. On paper, they look like a definite playoff team. I think when healthy, they're more of a threat to the southeast than the Hawks.
CB4MiamiHeat
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#19 » by CB4MiamiHeat » Fri Aug 8, 2008 5:40 am

Bobcats havent done much..their bench is still thin.

My SE Division standings..

1. Orlando Magic
2. Miami Heat
3. Washington Wizards
4. Atlanta Hawks
5. Charlotte Bobcats
Prolific Scorer
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#20 » by Prolific Scorer » Fri Aug 8, 2008 6:22 am

I actually think that the Heat (If healthy, of course) will finish the regular season with a better record than Washington. Washington has nobody up front besides Haywood (Miami has a Marion/Beasley @ 4 and a serviceable 5), and Miami (even with a rookie Beasley) have the better trio.

The Magic should win this division if they're motivated....I still don't like the fact that Dwight won't have time to put work in his game this Offseason....I still think the Magic will make a move before the season to get somebody to start at the 4 (over Battie please)

Return to The General Board