Is Shaq the number two?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

ilikecb4
Assistant Coach
And1: 4

Re: Is Shaq the number two? 

Post#41 » by ilikecb4 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:08 am

galeon110 wrote:
Rasho Brezec wrote:People are really overlooking Iverson. Either AI, Shaq or Kobe.

I'd say VC's more recognized than AI

in North America? i dont think so

in Europe? neh

in Asia? neh

rest of the world? neh
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,033
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#42 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:19 am

galeon110 wrote:
Rasho Brezec wrote:People are really overlooking Iverson. Either AI, Shaq or Kobe.

I'd say VC's more recognized than AI

Certainly in Toronto.

AI's popularity during the Shaq/Kobe 3 peat was higher than Kobe by a long shot, and I'd still say he's more easily recognizable.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
3pt %
General Manager
And1: 2,675

Post#43 » by 3pt % » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:24 am

If you are talking world wide (not just North America), then it is probably Yao.

He is the face of the olympics for China, and Asia is carrying a lot of population.

His face has been everywhere.
Captain_Caveman wrote:Probably couldn't spell "cat" if you spotted him the C and the A.
CoolD
Lead Assistant
And1: 971

Post#44 » by CoolD » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:37 am

3pt % wrote:If you are talking world wide (not just North America), then it is probably Yao.

He is the face of the olympics for China, and Asia is carrying a lot of population.

His face has been everywhere.
A lot of people in China know who is Shaq because of Yao Ming. I saw a documentary, when Yao played his rookie season. When Yao had his first game vs Shaq, it was a super big event in China. Asians know who Shaq is, because of Yao.

But is South America many people heard of Shaq, not Yao.
In Europe the same thing.

Shaq covers.
USA, Asia, South America, Europe, and probably places in Africa, and more, like some guy stated, places like Afghanistan.

Yao covers USA and Asia.

I think Shaq is well more known trough out the world.
Ballin02
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#45 » by Ballin02 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:08 am

abark wrote:Just think about who your female relatives who are clueless about basketball would recognize. I know for a fact that my mom and sister have no clue who Lebron or Iverson are, but they definetly would recognize Shaq and Kobe.

My mom doesn't watch basketball and she knows who both Lebron and Iverson are. And I have seen some females that have just watched a basketball game because of their crush on Allen Iverson. I'm not sure if some of you just don't like these players personally or what, but to deny that these players aren't recognizable or as recongnizable as both Kobe and Shaq is just ridiculous. Iverson has been one of the top jersey sales not only in the US, but in Europe for years and Lebron is starting to up there in Europe as well.
bullzman23
RealGM
And1: 3

Post#46 » by bullzman23 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:18 am

Shaq is second. There's no doubt about this.

I'm 22, and I remember when I was younger, that a lot of people outside of the States seemed to know who Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was. It had a lot to do with him being really tall and also Muslim.
girlygirl wrote:Sorry, I just don't think MJ changed the game all that much.

www.theslickscript.com
MartyConlonJr
General Manager
And1: 2,428

Post#47 » by MartyConlonJr » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:32 am

I live in Australia and I can promise you that non-NBA fans here will know Jordan, Shaq, Kobe, Ming and maybe LeBron. I reckon you'd have a better chance of someone here knowing Grant Hill than Allen Iverson.

Everyone knows MJ and Shaq - purely on basketball, Kobe is as widely known for his rape trial as his basketball here (that's how my parents know how he is at least, and probably many other oldies). Yao Ming is such a freak size wise that people know him, and a few ads get out here with him in it, like the Jackie Chan Olympic ones and the one that had Vern Troyer in it (think it was laptops). LeBron is making ground in recent years.
M.Balla
Senior
And1: 0

Post#48 » by M.Balla » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:14 pm

It took 4 pages to talk about Magic Johnson and Larry Bird? Or even Charles Barkley? Wilt is a longer shot, thought, NBA players didnt become worldwide mainstream until late 80's.

Since we are probably talking about all ages there, and we're talking about non-basketball fans, Magic and Bird are locks to be in the 2a and 2b spot. And I couldn't tell between Charles Barkley and Shaquille. They both have been on movies, they have recognizable bodies and both of them are entertaining and make headlines worldwide.

Then on the 3rd tier, Kobe and AI, just because they have been in the picture longer than the 03 class and Yao backed-up by Asian people.
kerfuc wrote:
acekinglaker wrote:Spain by 31

ahahaha you are funny!i see your basketball knowledge

Return to The General Board