Greg Oden already hurt.

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Ming Kong!
RealGM
And1: 31

Re: Greg Oden already hurt. 

Post#21 » by Ming Kong! » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:29 am

Greg Oden = Rickrolling a franchise, or Sam Bowie part II
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#22 » by HarlemHeat37 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:29 am

Phil_2.0 wrote:
HarlemHeat37 wrote:he's obviously injury prone, but that was just bad luck with Fisher being there..any other player would have left the game, especially of Oden's worth and since it was a completely meaningless game..

eh..by definition, sure a reg. season game ( one ) is a meaningless game in the big picture. But there is some meaning to this game. Drafted number 1 and missing the first season due to injury and then his first game in the NBA ( a year later) and gets hurt again. Sure, its not that major and it is just one game. But there is some meaning to it, given his history and hype.

I agree Phil, but only that it's a meaningful game to Oden..meaningless in the sense that the Blazers shouldn't risk their long-term franchise guy for the 1st game of the NBA season that has no impact on their season outlook..maybe that's just me though..
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#23 » by dockingsched » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:31 am

Patterns wrote:
dcash4 wrote:just an unlucky play but he needs to get in shape to help prevent future injuries.

How come Dwight never has those "unlucky" plays.

I hope he gets healthy too. It'd be a waste if he's going to be injury prone.

i'm not sure how else you would describe landing on someone's foot like he did. perhaps the amount of time he might miss is what u are referring to, but the act of landing on someone's foot is just unlucky.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Hawks
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#24 » by Hawks » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:34 am

I gotta agree Durant wouldn't have been a good fit for the Blazers. Horford on the other hand might have been a good fit for them if they didn't mind playing Aldridge and/or Horford at C. Blazers hit the jackpot on many of their picks. It will be ashame the one they missed on turn out to be Oden. I think he will be fine. The injury concerns around him are well justify.
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#25 » by NetsForce » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:34 am

So are the Blazers still a lock to win multiple championships and become a NBA dynasty? This sucks for Oden, but given his history you had to expect something like this...
Ming Kong!
RealGM

Post#26 » by Ming Kong! » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:35 am

Mufasa wrote:I think it'd be brilliant if Oden was a worse pick than Bargnani

Would make me feel better at least :(

No but really, I think any Portland fan that says they wouldn't go back and take Durant if they could right now is probably full of it. I mean I know it's way too early to write Oden off, but there's probably at least a 50% chance that Oden is Bowie at this point. I'd probably take Horford at this point if I had the choice too, the kid's gonna be a beast.

It doesn't get much worse than Kandi for #1 picks:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_NBA_Draft

Just look at the lottery:

1 Michael Olowokandi (C)
2 Mike Bibby (PG)
3 Raef LaFrentz (C/F)
4 Antawn Jamison (F)
5 Vince Carter (G/F)
6 Robert Traylor (F/C)
7 Jason Williams (PG)
8 Larry Hughes (SG)
9 Dirk Nowitzki (PF)
10 Paul Pierce (G/F)
11 Bonzi Wells (G/F)
12 Michael Doleac (C)

Also Darko was a disaster:

1 James, LeBronLeBron James* (SF)
2 Miličić, Darko Darko Miličić (F/C)
3 Anthony, CarmeloCarmelo Anthony* (SF)
4 Bosh, ChrisChris Bosh* (F/C)
5 Wade, DwyaneDwyane Wade* (SG)
6 Kaman, Chris Chris Kaman (C)
7 Hinrich, Kirk Kirk Hinrich (PG)
8 Ford, T.J. T. J. Ford (PG)
9 Sweetney, Michael Michael Sweetney (PF)
10 Hayes, Jarvis Jarvis Hayes (F/G)

I know that Detroit won the title regardless, but they might of been a Dynasty with Melo or Bosh. Wade was not in the scope of Detroit at all.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,085
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#27 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:37 am

dcash4 wrote:just an unlucky play but he needs to get in shape to help prevent future injuries.

Indeed.

To be honest though, I think it was precautionary.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Mufasa
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#28 » by Mufasa » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:41 am

Was just thinking with all this hype it'd suck to be a Blazer fan if this team doesn't pan out to anything... it'd be like finding out christmas isn't real or a kid thinking he's about to lose his virginity and finding the girl has a penis when he unzips her pants
GuyverX
Head Coach
And1: 4,187

Post#29 » by GuyverX » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:42 am

In all honesty, it didn't look that bad really. It looked like he just tweaked it...worst case scenario, might be out a week or two, IMO.
NBAMAN2006
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Post#30 » by NBAMAN2006 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:44 am

It sucks, and makes him look bad. But, watch the replay. It was freak, possibly bad, ankle sprain. It really had nothing to do with his frame. Also note he played 4-6 minutes afterwords with the injury, which is a decent sign.

It sure sucks ass, but labeling him Bowie is insane at this point. I think his size is a problem right now. He needs to get down about 10lbs.
Ming Kong!
RealGM

Post#31 » by Ming Kong! » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:51 am

Yeah he atleast played on it, and tried running on it, so it should be much less swollen than if he would have come off the court immediately. I don't think he'll miss more than a week, and if he does it's probably the team being VERY cautious.
lalalisa
Analyst
And1: 10

Post#32 » by lalalisa » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:53 am

I feel really bad for Oden. I'm sure he feels all the pressure in the world and definitely wasn't planning on this freak accident to happen. Hope it's nothing serious =(
Duiz
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#33 » by Duiz » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:56 am

This really sucks for him. I was looking to bash on him on purpose, but man, I really feel for him. I guess he was a bust afterall.
Baseline Runner
Analyst
And1: 1,067

Post#34 » by Baseline Runner » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:58 am

There is a reason why some guys get injured a lot other than just bad luck. Some players are just very limber and can roll off blows or falls avoiding injury. Guys like Jordan, Malone, Stockton and currently James and Kobe almost never got injured. Those guys are as physical as anyone in the NBA and constantly getting contact but their agility and responsiveness of their bodies avoid those injures.

Other player, especially big men, are stiffed limbed and easily get injured.
HarlemHeat37
Banned User

Post#35 » by HarlemHeat37 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:58 am

didn't Lebron miss like 6 games last year due to an injured finger?..
marshmallow
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#36 » by marshmallow » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:01 am

Progeria is a terrible curse.
10scott10
Veteran
And1: 40

Post#37 » by 10scott10 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:17 am

dcash4 wrote:
Patterns wrote:

How come Dwight never has those "unlucky" plays.

I hope he gets healthy too. It'd be a waste if he's going to be injury prone.

i'm not sure how else you would describe landing on someone's foot like he did. perhaps the amount of time he might miss is what u are referring to, but the act of landing on someone's foot is just unlucky.

bynum got injured in the same way, and now everyone says that he is an chronic injury risk
Ming Kong! wrote:Greg Oden = Rickrolling a franchise
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,085
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#38 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:17 am

He's not going to be right for a while, he's still coming off microfracture, he probably won't be back to his old self till sometime around January, if we base it how Amare recovered, that and the added weight is a bit different.

Still, I have to go with this:

dcash4 wrote:i was impressed with oden. an unlucky step on fisher's foot cut his night short, but from what i saw in the first half, he's going to be a defensive beast. he's not going to get backed down by anyone, he's going to block everything near him, and offensively, though raw, there is going to be about 1-2 centers that can keep him from getting good position. bynum had to use all his strength to keep him out, which showed when oden did a simple spin and bynum flew by.

rudy fernandez, he better get at least 30 mpg.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Baseline Runner
Analyst
And1: 1,067

Post#39 » by Baseline Runner » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:20 am

6 games out of 5 years?
HarlemHeat37
Banned User

Post#40 » by HarlemHeat37 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:23 am

ya I agree that Lebron is durable..but he missed 6 games because of a finger..that's weak..

Return to The General Board