Most Clutch Player in Todays Game.

Moderators: Prez, Yuri Vaultin, ken6199, Dirk, Domejandro, bwgood77, zimpy27, BombsquadSammy, GeorgeMarcus, PockyCandy

User avatar
FakeScreenName123
RealGM
Posts: 14,037
And1: 4,862
Joined: Jul 09, 2003
Location: Town

Re: Most Clutch Player in Todays Game. 

Post#41 » by FakeScreenName123 » Fri Dec 5, 2008 8:29 pm

Pierce. he outdid lebron and kobe in the playoffs. you have to give it to him today.
CzBoobie
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,830
And1: 1
Joined: Dec 29, 2005
Location: EU

Re: Most Clutch Player in Todays Game. 

Post#42 » by CzBoobie » Fri Dec 5, 2008 8:33 pm

blzrfan wrote:I guess most of you don't consider making free throws in the clutch to be that important. I didn't say Lebron isn't clutch or isn't a great player. I pointed out he's ability to make free throws for his team when they need him to is below the other guys mentioned so far.


LeBron was 80% FTs shooter in the clutch last year...Is it still bad enough to ignore his other enormous contributions in close games?
CzBoobie
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,830
And1: 1
Joined: Dec 29, 2005
Location: EU

Re: Most Clutch Player in Todays Game. 

Post#43 » by CzBoobie » Fri Dec 5, 2008 8:34 pm

FakeScreenName123 wrote:Pierce. he outdid lebron and kobe in the playoffs. you have to give it to him today.


Yeah, Pierce and PJ Brown...
blzrfan
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,546
And1: 1
Joined: May 10, 2008

Re: Most Clutch Player in Todays Game. 

Post#44 » by blzrfan » Fri Dec 5, 2008 8:42 pm

CzBron wrote:
blzrfan wrote:I guess most of you don't consider making free throws in the clutch to be that important. I didn't say Lebron isn't clutch or isn't a great player. I pointed out he's ability to make free throws for his team when they need him to is below the other guys mentioned so far.


LeBron was 80% FTs shooter in the clutch last year...Is it still bad enough to ignore his other enormous contributions in close games?


79%, come on now, don't fudge the stats to make Lebron look better.

From a strictly offensive standpoint, I would take clutch free throws in addition to clutch shots. Like I said earlier, I think Billups and Kobe come to mind.
User avatar
Storm Surge
General Manager
Posts: 9,024
And1: 13
Joined: Dec 27, 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: Most Clutch Player in Todays Game. 

Post#45 » by Storm Surge » Fri Dec 5, 2008 8:44 pm

What about Gilbert Arenas, this guy has hit a ton of GW shots both in the Playoffs and in the reg. season
CzBoobie
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,830
And1: 1
Joined: Dec 29, 2005
Location: EU

Re: Most Clutch Player in Todays Game. 

Post#46 » by CzBoobie » Fri Dec 5, 2008 8:46 pm

blzrfan wrote:79%, come on now, don't fudge the stats to make Lebron look better.

From a strictly offensive standpoint, I would take clutch free throws in addition to clutch shots. Like I said earlier, I think Billups and Kobe come to mind.


79.2% dude...80/101, I'm sorry for such a terribly misleading error.
User avatar
AIfan3
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,359
And1: 2,617
Joined: Mar 21, 2005
Location: Searching for AI's mojo..

Re: Most Clutch Player in Todays Game. 

Post#47 » by AIfan3 » Fri Dec 5, 2008 8:50 pm

With all due respect to Kobe and Pierce, Dwyane Wade right now IMO is probably the best crunchtime player in the league..
Straightwitdaroc
Banned User
Posts: 1,584
And1: 0
Joined: Apr 12, 2006

Re: Most Clutch Player in Todays Game. 

Post#48 » by Straightwitdaroc » Fri Dec 5, 2008 8:59 pm

I say you gotta look at these cats when deciding the clutchest.

Kobe, Lebron, Pierce, Roy, Wade. Everyone else is a notch or two below.

Kobe has been clutch when his team needed him this year, but he's spent most of 4th quarters on the bench with big leads. Still, he's the most clutch player in the post Jordan era and probably the 3rd of 4th clutchest player ever.

Wade is clutch because he sees the game better in the fourth. He takes it to another gear. Its like he's neo and the rest of the players on the court just have to marvel at his patience and speed.

Lebron is clutch. It also seems as if he'll hit a big 3 or an impossible shot in the most crucial times. I'm always like Lebron can't shoot...but then he'll make a crazy mid range or 3 pointer at the time when his team needs it the most. He's like Shaq. He'll make it when its needed.

Roy is clutch. The dude just takes over. In the first 3 quarters, Roy is an all star. A stud. In the fourth quarter, he's on Kobe and Wade's level. Its like he's coasting for most of the game and then he just suddenly out of nowhere plays like the best player in the league. People need to stop sleeping on Roy. He can do anything and everything.

Pierce is a celtic. Nothing good to say about him. But he's clutch.
integralx2
Senior
Posts: 569
And1: 5
Joined: Nov 15, 2008

Re: Most Clutch Player in Todays Game. 

Post#49 » by integralx2 » Fri Dec 5, 2008 9:00 pm

Honestly i dont see how trailblazers fan overhype Roy its just hilarious. Dont get me wrong he is a good players but isnt a super star. Clutch players deliver wins. Untill i see Roy score 25 points consevtivly against a team with detroit pistons defense liek lebron he is just not clutch. No one should deserve that name beside Lebron. Kobe was clutch back in the day, but now he isnt clutch. If he played Lebron, he would be shut down.

LEBRON IS THE ONLY CLUTCH PLAYER THERE IS. HE MAKES THE SMARTEST DECISIONS, AND SINGLE HANDLY TOOK THE CAVS TO THE FINALS WITH BACK TO BACK CLUTCH PERFORMANCES. Did Kobe do that ? Nope he whined till he got Gasol, then made it to finals. Did Roy do that ? Nope he cant even make the playoffs.
Straightwitdaroc
Banned User
Posts: 1,584
And1: 0
Joined: Apr 12, 2006

Re: Most Clutch Player in Todays Game. 

Post#50 » by Straightwitdaroc » Fri Dec 5, 2008 9:05 pm

integralx2 wrote:Honestly i dont see how trailblazers fan overhype Roy its just hilarious. Dont get me wrong he is a good players but isnt a super star. Clutch players deliver wins. Untill i see Roy score 25 points consevtivly against a team with detroit pistons defense liek lebron he is just not clutch. No one should deserve that name beside Lebron. Kobe was clutch back in the day, but now he isnt clutch. If he played Lebron, he would be shut down.

LEBRON IS THE ONLY CLUTCH PLAYER THERE IS. HE MAKES THE SMARTEST DECISIONS, AND SINGLE HANDLY TOOK THE CAVS TO THE FINALS WITH BACK TO BACK CLUTCH PERFORMANCES. Did Kobe do that ? Nope he whined till he got Gasol, then made it to finals. Did Roy do that ? Nope he cant even make the playoffs.


:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
RockTHECasbah
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,526
And1: 6
Joined: Oct 05, 2007

Re: Most Clutch Player in Todays Game. 

Post#51 » by RockTHECasbah » Fri Dec 5, 2008 9:07 pm

Will Solomon
Know anyone who is disabled? has an addiction?
Image
HandyTax - Your Canadian Disability Tax Credit Consultants
http://www.handytax.ca
User avatar
ronnymac2
RealGM
Posts: 10,495
And1: 4,366
Joined: Apr 11, 2008
   

Re: Most Clutch Player in Todays Game. 

Post#52 » by ronnymac2 » Fri Dec 5, 2008 9:08 pm

Wade, Kobe, LBJ, Roy, Pierce are the most clutch players in the league. I think Pierce is last on that list of 5 though. Ray Allen is pretty clutch for Boston, too. Kobe, Wade, LBJ, and Roy usually need to carry the clutch burden in a way (though IIRC, Travis Oulaw was pretty good in the clutch.)

Two players that haven't been mentioned yet are Jason Terry and Deron Williams. I think they are pretty good in the clutch.

If I had to pick a player to lead my team when down a few points going into the 4th quarter of game 7 of the finals against a very tough defense, I'd probably take Wade and Duncan over all.
“Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.”
shaqfan1
General Manager
Posts: 8,436
And1: 4
Joined: Dec 13, 2004

Re: Most Clutch Player in Todays Game. 

Post#53 » by shaqfan1 » Fri Dec 5, 2008 9:10 pm

James Posey has to be one of the most underrated clutch players. He's only been mentioned once in this thread. The guy was a killer when he was with the Heat, and from what I saw of him on the Celtics, he's still a killer.
DuckIII wrote:All 3 of them joining forces in Miami is the NBA's worst nightmare (shared by TNT, ABC, and ESPN)...it is a simple, irrefutable fact, that Wade/LeBron/Bosh in Miami is pretty much the worst possible result from a business perspective.
User avatar
shobe_81
Inactive user
Inactive user
Posts: 2,749
And1: 0
Joined: Nov 17, 2007

Re: Most Clutch Player in Todays Game. 

Post#54 » by shobe_81 » Fri Dec 5, 2008 9:11 pm

This is why Blazers fans HATE Kobe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_KOPjhY ... re=related

And especially THIS: the 2nd shot was like B. Roy's Game winner earlier this season
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfB3d1Fj ... re=related
User avatar
Fitz303
General Manager
Posts: 7,817
And1: 1,380
Joined: Oct 18, 2006
Location: Portland

Re: Most Clutch Player in Todays Game. 

Post#55 » by Fitz303 » Fri Dec 5, 2008 9:14 pm

integralx2 wrote:Honestly i dont see how trailblazers fan overhype Roy its just hilarious. Dont get me wrong he is a good players but isnt a super star. Clutch players deliver wins. Untill i see Roy score 25 points consevtivly against a team with detroit pistons defense liek lebron he is just not clutch. No one should deserve that name beside Lebron. Kobe was clutch back in the day, but now he isnt clutch. If he played Lebron, he would be shut down.

LEBRON IS THE ONLY CLUTCH PLAYER THERE IS. HE MAKES THE SMARTEST DECISIONS, AND SINGLE HANDLY TOOK THE CAVS TO THE FINALS WITH BACK TO BACK CLUTCH PERFORMANCES. Did Kobe do that ? Nope he whined till he got Gasol, then made it to finals. Did Roy do that ? Nope he cant even make the playoffs.



:lol: :lol: AWFUL.. Just plain awful

Image
User avatar
Fitz303
General Manager
Posts: 7,817
And1: 1,380
Joined: Oct 18, 2006
Location: Portland

Re: Most Clutch Player in Todays Game. 

Post#56 » by Fitz303 » Fri Dec 5, 2008 9:17 pm

shobe_81 wrote:This is why Blazers fans HATE Kobe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_KOPjhY ... re=related

And especially THIS: the 2nd shot was like B. Roy's Game winner earlier this season
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfB3d1Fj ... re=related



Why do you have to bring up old stuff like that? I could have gone the rest of my life without seeing that second clip and been just fine. But yes, this is exactly why Blazers fans hate Kobe. He has ripped our hearts out on more than just one occasion. Kobe is most definitely one of the most clutch players in the NBA
User avatar
TrevorAriza
Sophomore
Posts: 136
And1: 0
Joined: Nov 28, 2008
Location: A Whale's Vagina

Re: Most Clutch Player in Todays Game. 

Post#57 » by TrevorAriza » Fri Dec 5, 2008 9:25 pm

From what I've seen this year, Kobe, Pierce, Roy, Duncan, Lebron, and Wade.

Roy is becoming one of my favorite players. I think this guy is going to be one of the greats of all time. When Jordan retired, it was Kobe (Lebron is the best today, but for the past couple of years it's been kobe); when Kobe retires I think it will be between Roy or LeBron as best player in the NBA for years to come.
User avatar
JordanL
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,523
And1: 267
Joined: Aug 21, 2008
         

Re: Most Clutch Player in Todays Game. 

Post#58 » by JordanL » Fri Dec 5, 2008 10:09 pm

I don't think Roy will ever dominate the way LeBron does, but I don't think LeBron will ever have as complete a game as Roy does/will.

That will always be a very subjective thing depending on how you define "best".

People have thought Roy's reached his ceiling every season he's played since highschool, and every successive season he's gotten better and more dominant.
User avatar
shobe_81
Inactive user
Inactive user
Posts: 2,749
And1: 0
Joined: Nov 17, 2007

Re: Most Clutch Player in Todays Game. 

Post#59 » by shobe_81 » Fri Dec 5, 2008 10:11 pm

Fitz303 wrote:
shobe_81 wrote:This is why Blazers fans HATE Kobe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_KOPjhY ... re=related

And especially THIS: the 2nd shot was like B. Roy's Game winner earlier this season
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfB3d1Fj ... re=related



Why do you have to bring up old stuff like that? I could have gone the rest of my life without seeing that second clip and been just fine. But yes, this is exactly why Blazers fans hate Kobe. He has ripped our hearts out on more than just one occasion. Kobe is most definitely one of the most clutch players in the NBA


If it makes you feel better I mentioned Roy's game winner against Rockets being comparable to Kobe buzzer shot in that first link. :P
User avatar
Samuel
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,319
And1: 0
Joined: Oct 30, 2004
Location: Brampton,Ontario

Re: Most Clutch Player in Todays Game. 

Post#60 » by Samuel » Sat Dec 6, 2008 12:57 am

Carter,Pierce,Kobe,B-Roy,Duncan,Wade,Lebron.

Return to The General Board