65+ wins = NBA Champs

Moderators: bwgood77, zimpy27, BombsquadSammy, GeorgeMarcus, PockyCandy, Prez, Yuri Vaultin, ken6199, Dirk, Domejandro

kobesmyhomie
Senior
Posts: 599
And1: 5
Joined: Nov 06, 2008

65+ wins = NBA Champs 

Post#1 » by kobesmyhomie » Tue Dec 9, 2008 11:31 pm

This article lists all the teams that have won at least 65 games in the regular season and how they finished in the season. Every team except the Dallas Mavericks won the NBA title.

http://www.nba.com/2008/news/features/r ... index.html

What do you guys think?
Image
TheSheriff
Analyst
Posts: 3,666
And1: 1,141
Joined: Aug 04, 2007

Re: 65+ wins = NBA Champs 

Post#2 » by TheSheriff » Tue Dec 9, 2008 11:34 pm

kobesmyhomie wrote:This article lists all the teams that have won at least 65 games in the regular season and how they finished in the season. Every team except the Dallas Mavericks won the NBA title.

http://www.nba.com/2008/news/features/r ... index.html

What do you guys think?



Except that the 68 win 1972-73 Celtics lost in the Confrence Finals
User avatar
Roger Murdock
General Manager
Posts: 9,531
And1: 170
Joined: Aug 12, 2008

Re: 65+ wins = NBA Champs 

Post#3 » by Roger Murdock » Tue Dec 9, 2008 11:44 pm

I thought that the Sonics had 67 wins the year the bulls had 72?
Image
kobesmyhomie
Senior
Posts: 599
And1: 5
Joined: Nov 06, 2008

Re: 65+ wins = NBA Champs 

Post#4 » by kobesmyhomie » Tue Dec 9, 2008 11:45 pm

Well 9 out of 11 isn't bad.
Image
Chubby Chaser
Banned User
Posts: 2,744
And1: 0
Joined: Jun 20, 2005
Location: California

Re: 65+ wins = NBA Champs 

Post#5 » by Chubby Chaser » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:04 am

kobesmyhomie wrote:Well 9 out of 11 isn't bad.


LoL. I think your theory just got debunked. :lol:
Gutter92
Banned User
Posts: 1,864
And1: 2
Joined: May 28, 2008

Re: 65+ wins = NBA Champs 

Post#6 » by Gutter92 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:11 am

haha ^
Duiz
Banned User
Posts: 10,725
And1: 2
Joined: Apr 06, 2007
Location: Chaine Wasatch, Occident des Etats-Unis

Re: 65+ wins = NBA Champs 

Post#7 » by Duiz » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:23 am

[/thread]
User avatar
shobe_81
Inactive user
Inactive user
Posts: 2,749
And1: 0
Joined: Nov 17, 2007

Re: 65+ wins = NBA Champs 

Post#8 » by shobe_81 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:02 am

And then there was this: OH God:

2006-07 Dallas Mavericks 67-15 .817
Longest win streak: 17
Finish: Lost First Round, 4-2 to Golden State
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 71,068
And1: 12,957
Joined: Oct 14, 2003
 

Re: 65+ wins = NBA Champs 

Post#9 » by tsherkin » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:10 am

TheSheriff wrote:Except that the 68 win 1972-73 Celtics lost in the Confrence Finals


Hai, but Havlicek was injured at a critical juncture that changed the outcome of the series, so it is hard to really fault them for losing. You take a 24/5/5 player who plays great D off the team and see what happens, you know? Take Dirk off the 67-win Mavs and see if they do anything special (if you'll excuse the irony of them getting pwn3d in the first round WITH him).
User avatar
ponder276
Head Coach
Posts: 6,074
And1: 64
Joined: Oct 14, 2007

Re: 65+ wins = NBA Champs 

Post#10 » by ponder276 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:20 am

Roger Murdock wrote:I thought that the Sonics had 67 wins the year the bulls had 72?

They had 64 wins that year.

If one of the Lakers/Celtics/Cavs win 65+ games this year (and it certainly seems likely that one of these teams will accomplish that), there's still an excellent chance that said team doesn't win a championship, since all 3 of those teams are absolutely elite, and any one of them could win the 'ship, regardless of who has the most regular season wins (though obviously home court advantage could be key).
Smoke[MaxX]
Senior
Posts: 619
And1: 1
Joined: Feb 12, 2007

Re: 65+ wins = NBA Champs 

Post#11 » by Smoke[MaxX] » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:33 am

Oh great, another Bash the Mavericks thread. Why don't the Mavericks-bashing threads get locked?
And before you say that this isn't, what purpose does this serve other than to bash the Mavs?
The OP even pointed it out: "Everybody who won 65+ games won the title EXCEPT THE MAVS." There's even a Mod here who poked fun at the Mavs.

I wouldn't complain (as much) if the OP would have at least mentioned that maybe a team (or three) might be on pace for ~65 wins, but nope. The only qualifier is "except the Mavs." Ridiculous how little respect the Mavs get.
User avatar
ponder276
Head Coach
Posts: 6,074
And1: 64
Joined: Oct 14, 2007

Re: 65+ wins = NBA Champs 

Post#12 » by ponder276 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:50 am

Smoke[MaxX] wrote:Oh great, another Bash the Mavericks thread. Why don't the Mavericks-bashing threads get locked?
And before you say that this isn't, what purpose does this serve other than to bash the Mavs?
The OP even pointed it out: "Everybody who won 65+ games won the title EXCEPT THE MAVS." There's even a Mod here who poked fun at the Mavs.

I wouldn't complain (as much) if the OP would have at least mentioned that maybe a team (or three) might be on pace for ~65 wins, but nope. The only qualifier is "except the Mavs." Ridiculous how little respect the Mavs get.

Wrong time of the month? You should really give "the pill" a try; it's done wonders for some of my ex-girlfriends, and you won't have to worry about pesky pregnancies.
Smoke[MaxX]
Senior
Posts: 619
And1: 1
Joined: Feb 12, 2007

Re: 65+ wins = NBA Champs 

Post#13 » by Smoke[MaxX] » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:21 am

You should really give intelligence a try- your ignorance is showing. At least I'm being on topic. Not to mention you didn't even try to prove me wrong. "Hey I'm Ponder276 and I win arguments by talking trash about people."
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 71,068
And1: 12,957
Joined: Oct 14, 2003
 

Re: 65+ wins = NBA Champs 

Post#14 » by tsherkin » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:33 am

Smoke, it's a fact; the Mavs choked like a man in a noose... twice, no less. But they year they dominated in the regular season, they were run out in the first round and looked worse than the '94 Sonics. That's something that's not going to go away, whether you want to hear about it or not.

It's not poking fun at the Mavs, it's making a legitimate note of the exception to an otherwise-ironclad trend.
User avatar
ponder276
Head Coach
Posts: 6,074
And1: 64
Joined: Oct 14, 2007

Re: 65+ wins = NBA Champs 

Post#15 » by ponder276 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:08 am

Smoke[MaxX] wrote:You should really give intelligence a try- your ignorance is showing. At least I'm being on topic. Not to mention you didn't even try to prove me wrong. "Hey I'm Ponder276 and I win arguments by talking trash about people."

What ignorance? How were you being on topic? The OP pretty clearly didn't create this as a Mavs bashing thread, they were just mentioned as an afterthought/exception to a "rule." Your rant came out of nowhere.
User avatar
AbeVigodaLive
Rookie
Posts: 1,089
And1: 1,085
Joined: Nov 24, 2008

Re: 65+ wins = NBA Champs 

Post#16 » by AbeVigodaLive » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:57 pm

Great thread! Mind blowing!

In other "news", most teams that win fewer than 35 games = lottery team.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 71,068
And1: 12,957
Joined: Oct 14, 2003
 

Re: 65+ wins = NBA Champs 

Post#17 » by tsherkin » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:18 pm

Your useless sarcasm aside, Abe, the 65-win plateau is still significant. Aside from the Mavs and the Celtics team whose star was injured, teams that reach that plateau have won the title.

That kind of regular-season dominance does more than suggest the ability of a team to win a title.
JordansBulls
RealGM
Posts: 58,141
And1: 4,015
Joined: Jul 12, 2006
Location: HCA (Homecourt Advantage)

Re: 65+ wins = NBA Champs 

Post#18 » by JordansBulls » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:29 pm

I posted a thread about this as well a while ago when the Mavericks were going to win 65+ games.
Image
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
User avatar
AbeVigodaLive
Rookie
Posts: 1,089
And1: 1,085
Joined: Nov 24, 2008

Re: 65+ wins = NBA Champs 

Post#19 » by AbeVigodaLive » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:04 pm

tsherkin wrote:Your useless sarcasm aside, Abe, the 65-win plateau is still significant. Aside from the Mavs and the Celtics team whose star was injured, teams that reach that plateau have won the title.

That kind of regular-season dominance does more than suggest the ability of a team to win a title.



And, it still seems pretty obvious to me. If a team can overcome the trials and tribulations during the grind of an NBA season to win 65+ games, they are well-equipped for a championship run.

There is no "soft" NBA schedule. Everyone in the conference basically plays the same schedule.

So, I see nothing significant in the stat that 80%+ of the time that a team wins 65 games... they win the title.
hsgm
Sophomore
Posts: 153
And1: 50
Joined: May 27, 2007

Re: 65+ wins = NBA Champs 

Post#20 » by hsgm » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:19 pm

a team that wins over 65 games and will probably be a top-2 seed in the conference will most likely win a championship? i would have never guessed.

Return to The General Board