Should there be a Player of the Year Award?

Moderators: Prez, Yuri Vaultin, ken6199, Dirk, Domejandro, bwgood77, zimpy27, BombsquadSammy, GeorgeMarcus, PockyCandy

ballerblogger
Junior
And1: 0

Should there be a Player of the Year Award? 

Post#1 » by ballerblogger » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:00 pm

Everyone knows the MVP award is a team award. The MVP has historically gone to the best player on one of the teams with the top record in the NBA. No player whose team has won less than 50 games has won the award in the past 25 years.

Nowhere is this more evident than the Most Valuable Player Award tally’s of Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell. Chamberlain ended his career with a total of four MVP’s and two NBA championships. Russell, his on-court nemesis of that period, won the MVP award five times, and the NBA championship a record 11 times. Chamberlain averaged over 50 points and 20 rebounds one season and the MVP went to Russell!

That's why I think the NBA should create a Player of the Year award that recognizes great individual campaigns.

LeBron James would get my vote as MVP if the season ended today.

Dwyane Wade would be my Player of the Year.

Your thoughts?
Speedlot
Lead Assistant
And1: 567

Re: Should there be a Player of the Year Award? 

Post#2 » by Speedlot » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:21 pm

Would make sense. That way Kobe would've gotten a few back in 05-07, but no this will never happen just because, you can be a stat whore in a bottom feeder team.
guy1
Sixth Man
And1: 91

Post#3 » by guy1 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:36 pm

I wouldn't like it that much. An MVP and a Player of the Year award means there's an overflow of awards, which means these awards would lose their meaning. With the awards situation, I would change two things.

First, have a more clear and simple definition of MVP, which would basically mean: WHO IS THE BEST PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE? If thats too complicated of a question, the voters should basically ask themselves who would they rather have on their team over everyone else? Cause that way, there is no way people are picking Steve Nash over the likes of Kobe, Lebron, Shaq, Duncan, and Wade.

Second, make the MVP an award for the whole season, including the playoffs. They shouldn't just limit it to a regular season award because then we have stuff like the 07 season, where we think to ourselves WTF? Include the playoffs. IMO, there is no way Shaq should have only 1 MVP, no way Duncan should only have 2 MVPs, No way Nash should have any MVPs. If we did it like this heres how MVPs should look since 98:

99 Duncan
00 Shaq
01 Shaq
02 Shaq
03 Duncan
04 KG
05 Duncan
06 Kobe
07 Kobe
08 Kobe/Lebron (Not really sure who I would pick for this)
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,120

Post#4 » by MagicMadness » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:14 pm

You know what, I actually do like the idea of a POTY.
ivDT
RealGM
And1: 1,550

Post#5 » by ivDT » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:20 pm

until recently, didn't IBM give out an end of the season award to the player with the most impressive statistical season? anyone know what happened to that?

this proposed POY award just sounds like an award for the player who wins the EFF rating title.

if that's indeed the case then i don't see the point it in. the NBA doesn't give out hardware for statistical titles and with, imo, good reason: it would only further encourage stat-stuffing by players who have little else to play for.
Another Brick in the Wall
Senior
And1: 1

Post#6 » by Another Brick in the Wall » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:53 pm

guy1 wrote:I wouldn't like it that much. An MVP and a Player of the Year award means there's an overflow of awards, which means these awards would lose their meaning. With the awards situation, I would change two things.

First, have a more clear and simple definition of MVP, which would basically mean: WHO IS THE BEST PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE? If thats too complicated of a question, the voters should basically ask themselves who would they rather have on their team over everyone else? Cause that way, there is no way people are picking Steve Nash over the likes of Kobe, Lebron, Shaq, Duncan, and Wade.

Second, make the MVP an award for the whole season, including the playoffs. They shouldn't just limit it to a regular season award because then we have stuff like the 07 season, where we think to ourselves WTF? Include the playoffs. IMO, there is no way Shaq should have only 1 MVP, no way Duncan should only have 2 MVPs, No way Nash should have any MVPs. If we did it like this heres how MVPs should look since 98:

99 Duncan
00 Shaq
01 Shaq
02 Shaq
03 Duncan
04 KG
05 Duncan
06 Kobe
07 Kobe
08 Kobe/Lebron (Not really sure who I would pick for this)

So you just want to shove down your definition of MVP upon the rest of us?

See the problem lies in your thinking that MVPs determine how good a particular player is. That is not what it is supposed to represent. It is awarded to the player judged to be the most valuable to his team.

Shaq is a legend, yet he only has one MVP. That is not a reason to blame the voters or the definition of the award. That is because he only had one season where he deserved to win. He was often injured during the regular season or didn't take it seriously enough. A lot of his prime years coincided with some of the best years pulled off by His Airness, The Admiral, The Mailman and The Dream. He did come close several times, but his competitors received the benefit of doubt due to him playing Penny, Kobe or Wade.

He lost to Iverson/Duncan because they didn't have a teammate of Kobe's caliber. He lost to Nash who didn't have a teammate of Wade's caliber (aside from the facts that the whole team relied on Nash and Amare was primarily a finisher, not the complete scorer he is today).

Same with Duncan, a legend himself, but who often coasts through the regular season.

The voters aren't supposed to just look at people's career achievements and dominance and determine how many MVP's each player deserves.

Being the "best" player is ultimately meaningless. The point of the game is not be the best player, but to help your team wins as many games as possible. The player who provides the most "value" towards wins, is the MVP.

I'm not saying the voters aren't biased. I understand they are human, but they aren't changing definitions every year to leave anyone out.
Thank you Bryan Colangelo.
guy1
Sixth Man
And1: 91

Post#7 » by guy1 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:11 pm

Another Brick in the Wall wrote:So you just want to shove down your definition of MVP upon the rest of us?

No I'm not. I can't give out my opinion on what I think the definition should be?

Another Brick in the Wall wrote:See the problem lies in your thinking that MVPs determine how good a particular player is. That is not what it is supposed to represent. It is awarded to the player judged to be the most valuable to his team.

I believe there should be an award that is given to the best player in the league. And I do believe that the player that is most valuable to his team is the best player in the league. Most valuable would mean the guy that GMs would want on their team over anyone else, which is basically the same thing as "best" to me.

Another Brick in the Wall wrote:Shaq is a legend, yet he only has one MVP. That is not a reason to blame the voters or the definition of the award. That is because he only had one season where he deserved to win. He was often injured during the regular season or didn't take it seriously enough. A lot of his prime years coincided with some of the best years pulled off by His Airness, The Admiral, The Mailman and The Dream. He did come close several times, but his competitors received the benefit of doubt due to him playing Penny, Kobe or Wade.

He lost to Iverson/Duncan because they didn't have a teammate of Kobe's caliber. He lost to Nash who didn't have a teammate of Wade's caliber (aside from the facts that the whole team relied on Nash and Amare was primarily a finisher, not the complete scorer he is today).

Same with Duncan, a legend himself, but who often coasts through the regular season.

This is true. Most of their impact is done in the playoffs, which is why I think this is an award that should be given out after the playoffs, taking the playoffs into account. Based on the criteria of the award, I agree to an extent. Shaq and Duncan shouldn't have that many more MVPs. But you can't actually say that Shaq was only the "most valuable player" for only 1 season. When you look at each year, at the end of each playoffs, you can't seriously say that. And this happens all the time.

Another Brick in the Wall wrote:The voters aren't supposed to just look at people's career achievements and dominance and determine how many MVP's each player deserves.

Yes I know. That doesn't change the fact that some deserve more or less.

Another Brick in the Wall wrote:Being the "best" player is ultimately meaningless. The point of the game is not be the best player, but to help your team wins as many games as possible. The player who provides the most "value" towards wins, is the MVP.

And I think the player who provides the most value towards wins is the best player. My point has been that most valuable player = best player, but the voters seem to get it wrong alot.

Another Brick in the Wall wrote:I'm not saying the voters aren't biased. I understand they are human, but they aren't changing definitions every year to leave anyone out.
[/quote]

I didn't say they were purposefully trying to leave someone out.
Onus
General Manager
And1: 1,282

Post#8 » by Onus » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:11 pm

I always thought that the Finals MVP was for the playoffs?!
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
THEmasterWAYNE
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#9 » by THEmasterWAYNE » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:15 pm

Maybe just call it the Ballhog of the Year Award. An award like Player of the Year would never amount to anything if the player can't win ball games. It would basically be the IBM Award anyway which the NBA has had and it is just a statistical domination award. Stats are hollow.

Return to The General Board