Charles Barkley, admit you are wrong

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Charles Barkley, admit you are wrong 

Post#1 » by MagicFan32 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:31 am

About Jameer Nelson.

Now.

You have said Orlando doesn't have a PG.

BS.

He is one of the most efficient players in the entire league. over 50 percent from the field, 45 percent from 3. In December he's averaging 20 points, 6 assists, 2 turnovers and 2 steals on 58 from the field and an incredible 61 percent from 3.

He may not be a 'pure' PG but he is as efficient and effective as they come after you get past the tier of Paul and Williams.

And he has a picture perfect shot, great technique.
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
J_Magic
Starter
And1: 166

Re: Charles Barkley, admit you are wrong 

Post#2 » by J_Magic » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:34 am

Wtf man...every time the Magic win or something good happens...you make a new thread on the General Board. Why not post in the NBA game thread?
Farm Raid
Starter
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Farm Raid » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:34 am

You're an idiot. Stop posting.
AgEnT50
General Manager
And1: 188

Post#4 » by AgEnT50 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:36 am

this is not going to end well
MagicFan32
RealGM

Post#5 » by MagicFan32 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:38 am

J_Magic wrote:Wtf man...every time the Magic win or something good happens...you make a new thread on the General Board. Why not post in the NBA game thread?

I'm calling out Charles Barkley, and of course the rest of Nelsons critics.

I'm sure they will be around.
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
J_Magic
Starter
And1: 166

Post#6 » by J_Magic » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:40 am

Why don't you wait till we do something in the playoffs? If we go to the finals...then maybe it might be a good time to start a thread like this. The season is still young........it's just as easy to go on a losing streak than winning.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#7 » by 5DOM » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:46 am

uhh.. jameer is legit.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#8 » by miller31time » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:47 am

Wasn't most of the Magic Board these "Nelson critics" you speak of? It seems like he's really improved this year and turned into a very solid player and starting point guard but I distinctly remember some very intelligent Magic fans a year or two ago completely trashing the kid.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#9 » by Celtics_Champs » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:49 am

No one admits they are wrong, especially TV personalities. That is why I always have respect for the ones who will sit there and say it.
MagicFan32
RealGM

Post#10 » by MagicFan32 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:50 am

J_Magic wrote:Why don't you wait till we do something in the playoffs? If we go to the finals...then maybe it might be a good time to start a thread like this. The season is still young........it's just as easy to go on a losing streak than winning.

You care way to much about being liked around here.

On this board you have to have strong opinions or nobody will bother.

I am saying, call a spade, a spade.
aol4532 on bill russell
CITYOFANGELSX3
RealGM
And1: 151

Post#11 » by CITYOFANGELSX3 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:52 am

*yawn*

Can he prove himself atleast half a season first?
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,188

Post#12 » by tsherkin » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:55 am

Jameer is legit...

As a shooter.

His shooting seems a little above himself right now; his efficiency is far removed from his usual percentages, so that's a concern, that he might just be hot early in the season. He hasn't appreciably improved as a playmaker or at drawing fouls.

He's valuable, but they could still use a better passing point, because while Nelson's scoring/shooting is important, but they still need better passing. The Magic have great defense, could (somewhat entertainingly) use some more rebounding and could use one other guy who can get in there and throw really good passes. Someone who can fire up those oops that the team is so fond of, someone who throws good post entry passes, someone who works the pick-and-roll really well and someone who does decently in transition.

Maybe it's not that they need to replace Jameer so much as they need to replace Anthony Johnson... Jameer's a starting-caliber player, but let's not be too hasty in re-evaluating him based on the way he's shooting this year.
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#13 » by Volcano » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:56 am

let's call out every single media member that has made a wrong analysis...better yet, let's call out every realgm member that has made a wrong analysis
MagicFan32
RealGM

Post#14 » by MagicFan32 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:59 am

tsherkin wrote:Jameer is legit...

As a shooter.

His shooting seems a little above himself right now; his efficiency is far removed from his usual percentages, so that's a concern, that he might just be hot early in the season. He hasn't appreciably improved as a playmaker or at drawing fouls.

He's valuable, but they could still use a better passing point, because while Nelson's scoring/shooting is important, but they still need better passing. The Magic have great defense, could (somewhat entertainingly) use some more rebounding and could use one other guy who can get in there and throw really good passes. Someone who can fire up those oops that the team is so fond of, someone who throws good post entry passes, someone who works the pick-and-roll really well and someone who does decently in transition.

Maybe it's not that they need to replace Jameer so much as they need to replace Anthony Johnson... Jameer's a starting-caliber player, but let's not be too hasty in re-evaluating him based on the way he's shooting this year.

No we don't really need a better passing point, because of Hedo, he is like a second PG out there with how much he handles the ball and facilitates.

We could definitely use an upgrade behind Jameer. AJ is slow as ****.
aol4532 on bill russell
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#15 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:04 am

tsherkin is party-right. We definitely need an upgrade at our backup PG position. AJ is decent enough at times but we could definitely use more.

I dont think you're right about Jameer's passing though. I think his playmaking and passing, especially after driving towards the basket, have been absolutely brilliant this season (especially since returning from injury). He finds open men all the time, and in another type of offense he could average 8-10 assists no problem. Our style of play doesn't really allow it though, especially since Turk is oftentimes our primary ballhandler down the stretch and Dwight will have the ball work through him often.

And fellow Magic fans; STOP MAKING THREADS ABOUT OUR TEAM!
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#16 » by TheOUTLAW » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:05 am

miller31time wrote:Wasn't most of the Magic Board these "Nelson critics" you speak of? It seems like he's really improved this year and turned into a very solid player and starting point guard but I distinctly remember some very intelligent Magic fans a year or two ago completely trashing the kid.

Exactly what I was thinking. Heck, virtually nobody else even cares about Nelson. It was primarily the Magic fans that were criticizing him.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#17 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:06 am

I distinctly remember a "Carlos Arroyo > Jameer Nelson" thread at some point on our board last season. :roll:

Although, to be fair, Jameer's a completely different player this season.
MagicFan32
RealGM

Post#18 » by MagicFan32 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:08 am

Puetro Ricans infiltrated the magic board after Arroyo came though.
aol4532 on bill russell
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,188

Post#19 » by tsherkin » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:23 am

MagicFan32 wrote:No we don't really need a better passing point, because of Hedo, he is like a second PG out there with how much he handles the ball and facilitates.

We could definitely use an upgrade behind Jameer. AJ is slow as ****.

"No, you're wrong... but I agree with what you said."

That's what you just wrote there.

Bay_Areas_Finest wrote:tsherkin is party-right. We definitely need an upgrade at our backup PG position. AJ is decent enough at times but we could definitely use more.

I dont think you're right about Jameer's passing though. I think his playmaking and passing, especially after driving towards the basket, have been absolutely brilliant this season (especially since returning from injury). He finds open men all the time, and in another type of offense he could average 8-10 assists no problem. Our style of play doesn't really allow it though, especially since Turk is oftentimes our primary ballhandler down the stretch and Dwight will have the ball work through him often.

And fellow Magic fans; STOP MAKING THREADS ABOUT OUR TEAM!

Meh, I'm not sold on Nelson's playmaking abilities. He looks pretty linear, more Stephon Marbury than Steve Nash, know what I mean? Penetrate-and-pitch is fairly straightforward, I wouldn't want him coordinating an offense. Hedo makes Nelson look better than he is. I don't believe the 8-10 assists comment, personally. I get why he might not be a 6 or 7 apg guy, though, that's for sure.

More importantly, though, his seasonal averages are being dramatically affected by his unsustainable December.

He's shooting a 58/61/58 right now.

Yeah, wtf? He's shooting under 59% from the line (7/12), but over 61% from downtown and 58% from the floor.

So yes, his seasonal averages aren't reliable at all, because the last 10 games have warped his averages and aren't the kind of numbers he can keep going on the balance of a season.

Let's see where he is at the All-Star break; I've a feeling he'll have come down to Earth some by then.
MagicFan32
RealGM

Post#20 » by MagicFan32 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:29 am

I was disagreeing with your assertion that Nelson can't get the job done because of the fact Hedo is another playmaker on the floor.

I agree we need a better backup, but Jameer is a perfectly capable NBA PG and his decision making is alot better.
aol4532 on bill russell

Return to The General Board