Why was Dick doing a NBA game?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

SwiLL2432
Analyst
And1: 181

Re: Why was Dick doing a NBA game? 

Post#21 » by SwiLL2432 » Fri Jan 9, 2009 12:52 am

Although I hate duke and I can see why people hate him and think hes annoying, you can deny his passion for basketball which is something I cant look past. Plus, although his style is loud, it is also very entertaining and different. To each his own though
#MambaArmy
Cruel_Ruin
Head Coach
And1: 767
Location: The intersection of intellect, imagination and insanity

Post#22 » by Cruel_Ruin » Fri Jan 9, 2009 12:57 am

I like him. He's entertaining.
Wade2k6
RealGM
And1: 77

Post#23 » by Wade2k6 » Fri Jan 9, 2009 1:01 am

Sashobe wrote:I want a Dick Vitale and Jeff Van Gundy NBA game.

lol that would be awesome
Dagameplaya PnG
Sixth Man
And1: 130

Post#24 » by Dagameplaya PnG » Fri Jan 9, 2009 2:50 am

Dickie V makes the Basketball Hall of Fame a joke? why? because your not a fan of his? or his style of announcing? that is ridiculous.
Los Angele Lakers & North Carolina Tar Heels fan for life
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#25 » by Flash3 » Fri Jan 9, 2009 2:53 am

He wasn't as bad as some of you are making.

He was LIGHTYEARS better than the ESPN crew of Jackson, Barry and Tirico.
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
Patterns
Banned User
And1: 18

Post#26 » by Patterns » Fri Jan 9, 2009 3:13 am

Flash3 wrote:He wasn't as bad as some of you are making.

He was LIGHTYEARS better than the ESPN crew of Jackson, Barry and Tirico.

He is far better than them.
99 Problems
Banned User
And1: 7

Post#27 » by 99 Problems » Fri Jan 9, 2009 5:15 am

So thats it.. I was wondering why I was hearing Jeff Van Gundy, Mike Tirico, and Mark Jackson talking during the Duke-Davidson game..

Even better was hearing Dickie V amazed at the high level of competition in comparison to his beloved NCAA ball.. "YOU CAN SEE THE LEVEL OF PLAY, THE ATHLETICISM, THE SKILL, THE STRENGTH, THE SPEED, YOU GOTTA LOVE NBA BALL BABY!!" You can tell he's used to seeing a bunch of scrubs swinging the ball back and forth over the perimeter all day..
sh00n
RealGM
And1: 1,969

Post#28 » by sh00n » Fri Jan 9, 2009 6:39 am

RutgersBJJ wrote:he is (Please Use More Appropriate Word), and it is a complete joke that he made the basketball hall of fame. He thinks everyone is a superstar and he thinks everyone who was good in college will be good in the nba. I wish someone would ask him why Morrison sucks so much since Dick was so sure he would be a special player.

What a tool. . .

If you can't respect Vitale for his love and passion for the game, you don't respect the game itself. Just watch the dude's HOF induction speech. Classic.
Support your local artist, kids: http://www.katsenhakeron.com
@katsenhaker0n on the bird app
markdeez33
RealGM
And1: 2,192

Post#29 » by markdeez33 » Fri Jan 9, 2009 8:22 am

Dickie V was as entertaining as ever. He brings a lot of energy to the broadcast. He even regretted saying that Charlotte should take Okafor over Dwight. He does focus on a lot of the college stars, but he knows the game and I think he did a great job. He's a lot better than most of the announcers I hear on ESPN and FSN, etc.

And did anyone think Balkman looked high as hell when they showed him sitting next to Melo?
RutgersBJJ
General Manager
And1: 125

Post#30 » by RutgersBJJ » Fri Jan 9, 2009 8:48 am

Derick22333 wrote:Dickie V makes the Basketball Hall of Fame a joke? why? because your not a fan of his? or his style of announcing? that is ridiculous.

Broadcasters have no business making a hall of fame designed for people that actually excel in basketball. The HoF isn't meant for someone who was a bad coach and is just a piece of pop culture. That is what broadcasting museums are for.
RIP Jared Jeffries. Gone but never forgotten...2006-2012
BMiller52
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#31 » by BMiller52 » Fri Jan 9, 2009 9:10 am

I wish he would do more NBA games. It was more exciting to watch to be honest. The NBA needs someone like Vitale that genuinely loves basketball and can hype the game up. I'm sick of some monotone moron trying to provide analysis. A dunk is a dunk, more or less. When Dickie V says it you get more excited, when some guy just says "oh wow Wade dunked off a bounce pass by Chalmers that was real nice" I'd rather mute the game. If anything the analytical guys should be doing college ball because of the longer shotclock and the fact that you can analyze certain prospects. In the NBA most of the players are who they are, and the level of play is high, and you should be able to tell what they're doing. I'd rather have someone getting an audience pumped than someone trying to explain something obvious like a dunk.
Mef
Junior

Post#32 » by Mef » Fri Jan 9, 2009 9:51 am

Derick22333 wrote:How can anybody not like this guy? I wish he would do NBA games more often.

How?
Maybe because I watched the game because I wanted to watch the Nuggets game and not hear stupid talk about everything BUT the game all the time?
Those commentators were the worst I've ever heard... didn't pay attention to the game.
DaDragicShow
Banned User

Post#33 » by DaDragicShow » Fri Jan 9, 2009 10:30 am

RutgersBJJ wrote:
Derick22333 wrote:Dickie V makes the Basketball Hall of Fame a joke? why? because your not a fan of his? or his style of announcing? that is ridiculous.

Broadcasters have no business making a hall of fame designed for people that actually excel in basketball. The HoF isn't meant for someone who was a bad coach and is just a piece of pop culture. That is what broadcasting museums are for.

Listen kid, you can hate all you want but he has accomplished way more then you'll ever accomplish in your life.
carrottop12
RealGM
And1: 30

Post#34 » by carrottop12 » Fri Jan 9, 2009 10:54 am

^^^
:rofl:
mup
Veteran
And1: 556

Post#35 » by mup » Fri Jan 9, 2009 2:51 pm

RutgersBJJ wrote:

Regardless of what you think the Hall of Fame is for, it is for contributors to the game of basketball and is meant to include all people who made the game significantly better. Guys like Vitale have "excelled" in basketball far more than half of the players in there. I'm not a Vitale fan, but you can't deny his Hall of Fame credentials. He is one of the most important figures in the history of the college game.

By the way, you guys know he coached the Pistons for a little while, right? Horrible coach. The players hated him.
nico11
Ballboy

Post#36 » by nico11 » Fri Jan 9, 2009 3:24 pm

It was torture having to hear Vitale cover a NBA game, I had to put the channel on mute. He doesn't know anything about the NBA game at all. All he did was talk about college basketball the whole game and what certain players in the game did in college. Who gives a ****.

At least Jackson, Van Gundy, and Tirico where able to talk about the Duke/Davidson game and not about the Celtics or Lakers.

Return to The General Board