Darkhorse Best Future Teams

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

JimmyTD3
Banned User
And1: 1,640

Re: Darkhorse Best Future Teams 

Post#21 » by JimmyTD3 » Thu Jan 8, 2009 7:57 pm

Warriors. Other teams have 3 or 4 young players, we can field a whole line up and bench of young players.

Monta (23)/Marco (22)/Randolph (19)/ Wright (21)/ Biedrins (22)

with Morrow (23) and Azubuike (25) and Turiaf (25) on the bench.

looks pretty good
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#22 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Jan 8, 2009 7:59 pm

Easily the Nets.

The Blunder and the Bulls.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#23 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Jan 8, 2009 8:01 pm

Stringcheese wrote:No one mentions the Warriors? Other teams have 3 or 4 young players, we can field a whole line up and bench of young players.

Monta (23)/Marco (22)/Randolph (19)/ Wright (21)/ Biedrins (22)

with Morrow (23) and Azubuike (25) and Turiaf (25) on the bench.

looks pretty good

Not with Nelly running things.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Master Shake
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#24 » by Master Shake » Thu Jan 8, 2009 8:02 pm

Rodney Stuckey

/thread.
whatchaknow wrote: I would rather have Batum than Monroe...

Well, at least we aren't Cleveland... seriously... Indians, Cavs, Browns... ouch.
timlin500
Starter
And1: 124

Post#25 » by timlin500 » Thu Jan 8, 2009 8:13 pm

Warriors once Nellie is gone and we will get to actually play 2 bigs at once!
CB-Blazer
Head Coach
And1: 545

Post#26 » by CB-Blazer » Thu Jan 8, 2009 8:23 pm

As a darkhorse?

I'm going with the Thunder and Pistons.

Stuckey/Amir/Maxiell/Affalao and Tayshaun is still on the right side of 30. This team as just as bright of a future as the Blazers IMO.

The Thunder Green/Durant/Westbrook and a plethora of picks/expirings/capspace.

I would also say the Hawks, but with Joe Johnsons pending F/A in 2010 and the fact that they have one of the better records in the NBA right now kind of take them out of the arguement.
egplaya2004
Senior
And1: 0

Post#27 » by egplaya2004 » Thu Jan 8, 2009 8:42 pm

Since you asked for a darkhorse candidate, how about the Sacramento Kings?

Kevin Martin, Jason Thompson, Spencer Hawes, Donte Green, Bobby Brown, Quincy Douby

That may not be the best young core in the League, but it's pretty good. Add to that hopefully a top-3 pick in the upcoming draft, and the Kings could get another young post like Griffin, Thabeet or Jordan Hill, a wing to pair with Martin like Harden or DaJuan Summers, or a point like Jennings or Rubio. I'd be happy with any of the above.
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#28 » by Downtown » Thu Jan 8, 2009 8:55 pm

One team that always seems under the radar is Milwaukee. If they can get a good center and move Bogut to power forward, then with Jefferson that would be a very good frontline.

Redd is a player that on any given night can blow up for huge points. Both Ridnour and Sessions are decent pointguards but if they can draft a good one this June they could be in a position next season and climb up the ladder under Scott Skiles.

They have rookie Joe Alexander, who if he could ever find some minutes to develop should be good, and Luc Mbah A Moute, one of the steals of the last draft.

Depth players Charlie Villineuva and Charlie Bell help round our a roster with potential for something good next season with a good draft and one free agent signing. I like their future.

The Grizzlies have oodles of potential and should have another high draft pick for a power forward but my problem with them is their depth. Sure with Mayo, Gay, and Gasol they have a very good core but their talent level really drops off and even with a good draft pick they still need more of a supporting cast if they want to be considered a team with a great future. They did try to land Josh Smith with some big money but I don't know how motivated their owner will be this summer or next to spend the money it would take to fill in the holes. The economy has changed since then, and their attendance has proven that Memphis is more of a college hoops city than a pro one and I don't see it changing.

But if they are willing to spend the money then Memphis could be a solid team a couple years down the road.
Mr Awesome
Junior
And1: 0

Post#29 » by Mr Awesome » Thu Jan 8, 2009 9:00 pm

Why have so many people named the Blazers? They're not a "darkhorse". They're already a pretty solid team.
Im pretty freakin awesome........
The_Answer
Rookie
And1: 40

Post#30 » by The_Answer » Thu Jan 8, 2009 9:10 pm

I really do think Minnesota is a disciplined head coach and experience away from being a hell of a team.

Their record certainly doesn't do them justice.
Agenda42
General Manager
And1: 461

Post#31 » by Agenda42 » Thu Jan 8, 2009 9:17 pm

Minnesota has the best roster for the future among the "dark horse" candidates, but they're hamstrung by their inability to sign any impact free agents. It's cold up there!

I like the Grizzlies a lot. Mayo looks special, and Gay is a very solid player too.

I think the best candidate is New Jersey. Devin Harris and cap room in a big market is potentially lethal.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,504

Post#32 » by RIPskaterdude » Thu Jan 8, 2009 10:00 pm

The Kings? ...... :(

:sigh:
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#33 » by Hendrix » Thu Jan 8, 2009 10:24 pm

Grizz.

They will have Mayo, and Gay who are already studs. Then Conley, and Gasol might turn into solid players too. Plus they'll have decent picks the next couple years, and a ton of money for free agents in 2010 (should they be able to attract FA's.)
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
Test of Wills
Analyst
And1: 6

Post#34 » by Test of Wills » Thu Jan 8, 2009 10:35 pm

1. Philadelphia- Mareese Speights, Thad Young, Louis Williams, Jason Smith and Igoudala*(24 years old)

2. Sacramento- Spencer Hawes, Jason Thompson, Donte Green and Kevin Martin.

3. Milwaukee- Ramon Sessions, LRMAM, Joe Alexander, Andrew Bogut
Test of Wills
Analyst
And1: 6

Post#35 » by Test of Wills » Thu Jan 8, 2009 10:37 pm

Hendrix wrote:Grizz.

They will have Mayo, and Gay who are already studs. Then Conley, and Gasol might turn into solid players too. Plus they'll have decent picks the next couple years, and a ton of money for free agents in 2010 (should they be able to attract FA's.)

I think people already recognize them as a team with one of the best futures in the league.

I wouldn't call them a darkhorse best future team with Mayo, Gay, Conley and Gasol.
ChrisTheFuturePaul
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#36 » by ChrisTheFuturePaul » Thu Jan 8, 2009 10:46 pm

I'll say it just coz no-one else has: Indiana

Danny Granger is a beast, hes young, and not a head case
Troy Murphy is reliable, can grab 9-10 boards a game, is a perimeter threat.
TJ Ford is arguably a top 10 PG in the league, Jarrett Jack is a useful backup

If either Brandon Rush or Roy Hibbert pan out as quality players they'll have SG/C positions covered.

Mike Dunlevey: I really hope he gets back to last years form quickly and is traded, I dont like him @ SG and I think hes the odd man outm if he can be packaged perhaps with Rasho (expiring) for a better fit then this team is well set.

The thing about Indiana this year is they're better than their record suggests, they've lost alot of close games and I think they're 1 or 2 pieces away from being a definate playoff squad.
Wade2k6
RealGM
And1: 77

Post#37 » by Wade2k6 » Thu Jan 8, 2009 10:48 pm

I'll throw Miami in here.

They are a team alot left out of the playoff picture before the year started and have overachieved so far this year. They are a top 6 team in the East with all of their rotational players 28 or under (minus Marion/magloire). Half of their rotation is playing with 2 years or less of experience in the NBA. They have a top 2-3 player in the game to build around, a PG that perfectly fits Wades style, a 19 year old PF with star potential, and some good role players (cook, Haslem, Anthony possibly as a backup C). Add max capspace in either '09 or '10 and they have a very solid young team.

Wade (26) Beasley (19) Chalmers (22) Cook (21) Haslem (28) James Jones (28) Anthony (26)
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#38 » by Kabookalu » Thu Jan 8, 2009 11:01 pm

I'll give the Thunder a shout out, I thought drafting Westbrook would have been a mistake but he's playing really well in a draft class that in general is playing really well.
Clangus
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#39 » by Clangus » Thu Jan 8, 2009 11:43 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:
B_Roy wrote:
ALICEinJAM wrote:The Minnesota Timberwolves

Why?

Two words. Randy Foye.

Insert rant about Foye F*cking up the Thunder yesterday :( GRRRRRRRRR

Yes the TWolves have been playing great lately I think they have also won 4 in a row now.

Another HOMER ALERT!!!

Thunder are a darkhorse IMO

They have their superstar, Durant (in the making at least) they have 2 solid 'second guys" in Westbrook and Green. They have more cap room that you could poke a stick at., Thay have more draft picks than anyone could want. They have a GM that isn't afraid to pull the trigger on deals and he has an eye for talent (see Westbrook in OKC and Parker, Ginobilli, Scola, Spitter in SA). They have an awesome fan base who just love turning up- even though they are losing. And most importantly Presti is only bringing in good character guys. This is a winning formula for sure!
Malapropism
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,411

Post#40 » by Malapropism » Thu Jan 8, 2009 11:54 pm

To me, "darkhorse" means that no one see's it coming.

Blazers and Hawks are already good teams in the NBA, and will only get better. People expect that from them. They can't be a darkhorse team.

I'm going to go with Indiana. Great star player, good role players. Another star and some maturation could put them over the top.

Return to The General Board