East V West

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Clangus
Banned User
And1: 1

East V West 

Post#1 » by Clangus » Fri Jan 9, 2009 1:00 am

Ok Homers, Forget the vs total.

Lets go for this
The reason that I am suggesting this is that everyone know that there is crappy team at the bottom of each conferance. I personally think that the more crappy team at the bottom shows that the upper teams are probably stronger. But W/E

Top 9 West V top 9 east as this will be likele playoff teams (I know one misses out...der)

1. * Cleveland v 1. * LA Lakers
2. * Boston v 2. * San Antonio
3. * Orlando v 3. * Denver
4. Atlanta v 4. New Orleans
5. Detroit v 5. Dallas
6. Miami v 6. Portland
7. New Jersey v 7. Houston
8. Milwaukee v 8. Phoenix
9. Philadelphia v 9. Utah

Rather than just tipping a winner in each series - why don't you give us a run down of one series, the match ups and the eventual winner?
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Re: East V West 

Post#2 » by Manocad » Fri Jan 9, 2009 1:10 am

This sounds like fun but I'm on a quest for unicorns at the moment. Don't think I'll have time.
Clangus
Banned User

Post#3 » by Clangus » Fri Jan 9, 2009 1:12 am

Manocad wrote:This sounds like fun but I'm on a quest for unicorns at the moment. Don't think I'll have time.

GOOD LUCK AND GOD SPEED
Bobbcats
Assistant Coach
And1: 477

Post#4 » by Bobbcats » Fri Jan 9, 2009 1:26 am

I don't get why people are having this discussion so early. At this point if you want to compare how hard teams have had it's pretty dumb to say they're in the tougher conference so they have had a harder time. Look at each team's individual SOS. At the end of the season the division and conference you're in have a more obvious bearing on your SOS.
daschysta
Assistant Coach
And1: 349

Post#5 » by daschysta » Fri Jan 9, 2009 1:42 am

OP your using flawed logic i can completely turn that argument around on you by saying that the records of the top teams in the west are padded by wins over the worst teams in the league. The only real way to truly determine which conference better is to look at head to head, which I believe still favors the east. Well see how it shakes out near the end of the year but for now you have no choice but to accept that atm the east is the stronger conference.
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,967

Post#6 » by INKtastic » Fri Jan 9, 2009 1:48 am

Given your theory that the bottom of the west is only low because the top of the west is so good and plays them more times, lets take your matchups and use each teams record vs the other conference to come up with a winner in each matchup

Clangus wrote: 1. * Cleveland (9-1) v 1. * LA Lakers (8-4)
2. * Boston (8-5) v 2. * San Antonio (6-5)
3. * Orlando (14-4) v 3. * Denver (10-3)
4. Atlanta (7-3) v 4. New Orleans (6-4)
5. Detroit (7-5) v 5. Dallas (8-4)
6. Miami (8-8) v 6. Portland (11-2)
7. New Jersey (8-5) v 7. Houston (7-7)
8. Milwaukee (6-7) v 8. Phoenix (7-4)
9. Philadelphia (6-7) v 9. Utah (6-11)
?

The east wins 6 (including the top 4), the west wins 3

and when you do look at overall inter-conference play, you find the following

the east is dominating the inter-conference games 105-86 and has 3 of the 4 best records in the league.
The west has 6 teams at .306 or below, the east has just 1.

The top team in the west, the lakers, is just 8-4 vs the east. The top team in the east, Cleveland, is 9-1 vs the west.

Of the 9 good teams in the west, just 3 have better winning percentages vs the east then they do the west. The others are inflating their records by beating up on the 6 awful teams out west.
http://www.inktastic.com/ Custom T-Shirts and more
EGame
Head Coach
And1: 264

Post#7 » by EGame » Fri Jan 9, 2009 1:52 am

All I know is Portland would beat Miami <_<
Clangus
Banned User

Post#8 » by Clangus » Fri Jan 9, 2009 1:52 am

*sigh* I knew I should have named this something else and left my own opinion out of it. W/E
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,816

Post#9 » by Fitz303 » Fri Jan 9, 2009 1:56 am

I did the numbers like 2 days ago and they've obviously changed, but Im too lazy to redo them. As of 2 days or so ago, the record of the head to head east vs west PLAYOFF TEAMS it was 24-24. I think the west has grabbed the edge from the last 2 or so days, but its close either way. We all know the east has the better garbage teams, so thats not a debate. But for the teams that matter right now, its pretty close.
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#10 » by HarlemHeat37 » Fri Jan 9, 2009 1:59 am

let's see the Cavs record for a month+ without Z and Williams, Celtics without Pierce and Allen, Magic without Nelson and Lewis..
Kobay
General Manager
And1: 5

Post#11 » by Kobay » Fri Jan 9, 2009 2:24 am

^its the law of basketball, injuries must happen.
doozyj
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,842

Post#12 » by doozyj » Fri Jan 9, 2009 2:31 am

1. * Cleveland v 1. * LA Lakers
5. Detroit v 5. Dallas
6. Miami v 6. Portland

BOLD Winners.
The_Answer
Rookie
And1: 40

Post#13 » by The_Answer » Fri Jan 9, 2009 2:42 am

doozyj wrote:1. * Cleveland v 1. * LA Lakers
5. Detroit v 5. Dallas
6. Miami v 6. Portland

BOLD Winners.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#14 » by Manocad » Fri Jan 9, 2009 3:48 am

Clangus wrote:*sigh* I knew I should have named this something else and left my own opinion out of it. W/E

Now do you understand my post?
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Post#15 » by Spykes » Fri Jan 9, 2009 4:20 am

I'll give a short rundown of the POR/MIA series.

The marquee matchup would obviously bee Wade vs Roy. Both are pretty similar players in reality. Wade obviously has the advantage here. He's an Champion, Olympian and just overall a better player. But there's no way you can overlook Roy there. Roy's certainly a tier under Wade, but they're close enough to make for a fun fight.

I believe it would be a 6 Game series. I think Wade could will the Heat to a few wins by himself. You also can't overlook the playoff experience that Wade and a few other Heat players have. That said, I believe Portland pulls it out in the end. The Blazers have already swept the season series against the Heat. They had a decent win in Miami and they absolutely DOMINATED the Heat in Portland, winning by 38. Granted, you wouldn't see such a lopsided win in an intense playoff atmosphere, but Portland's height in the frontcourt and their overall depth has really given the Heat fits this season and I don't see any reason why that wouldn't continue in a playoff series.

You also can't overlook that the Blazers have been pretty dominate against the Eastern Conference this season. They're 12 and 2 against the East. The only games they lost against the East was a loss in Boston and a loss against the Magic on a last second shot in Portland. And Portland hasn't been beating up on the bottom of the East either, they've had good wins against some of the better Eastern conference teams. They've beat Boston, swept the Heat and the Pistons (and the Bulls, but that's less impressive), won in Orlando, beat the Hawks at home soundly, etc.
EGame
Head Coach
And1: 264

Post#16 » by EGame » Fri Jan 9, 2009 5:00 am

Spykes wrote:I'll give a short rundown of the POR/MIA series.

The marquee matchup would obviously bee Wade vs Roy. Both are pretty similar players in reality. Wade obviously has the advantage here. He's an Champion, Olympian and just overall a better player. But there's no way you can overlook Roy there. Roy's certainly a tier under Wade, but they're close enough to make for a fun fight.

I believe it would be a 6 Game series. I think Wade could will the Heat to a few wins by himself. You also can overlook the playoff experience that Wade and a few other Heat players have. That said, I believe Portland pulls it out in the end. The Blazers have already swept the season series against the Heat. They had a decent win in Miami and they absolutely DOMINATED the Heat in Portland, winning by 38. Granted, you wouldn't see such a lopsided win in an intense playoff atmosphere, but Portland's height in the frontcourt and their overall depth has really given the Heat fits this season and I don't see any reason why that wouldn't continue in a playoff series.

You also can't overlook that the Blazers have been pretty dominate against the Eastern Conference this season. They're 12 and 2 against the East. The only games they lost against the East was a loss in Boston and a loss against the Magic on a last second shot in Portland. And Portland hasn't been beating up on the bottom of the East either, they've had good wins against some of the better Eastern conference teams. They've beat Boston, swept the Heat and the Pistons (and the Bulls, but that's less impressive), won in Orlando, beat the Hawks at home soundly, etc.

Good post except we have not beaten the Hawks at home... Yet. :P
Clangus
Banned User

Post#17 » by Clangus » Fri Jan 9, 2009 5:05 am

Manocad wrote:
Clangus wrote:*sigh* I knew I should have named this something else and left my own opinion out of it. W/E

Now do you understand my post?

HAHAH - Yes its much clearer now
Clangus
Banned User

Post#18 » by Clangus » Fri Jan 9, 2009 5:05 am

Spykes wrote:I'll give a short rundown of the POR/MIA series.

I believe it would be a 6 Game series. I think Wade could will the Heat to a few wins by himself. You also can overlook the playoff experience that Wade and a few other Heat players have. That said, I believe Portland pulls it out in the end. The Blazers have already swept the season series against the Heat. They had a decent win in Miami and they absolutely DOMINATED the Heat in Portland, winning by 38. Granted, you wouldn't see such a lopsided win in an intense playoff atmosphere, but Portland's height in the frontcourt and their overall depth has really given the Heat fits this season and I don't see any reason why that wouldn't continue in a playoff series.

Thankyou. That was what I was intending. I like you analysis and I would also take Portland in 6
Entengtot
Assistant Coach
And1: 212

Post#19 » by Entengtot » Fri Jan 9, 2009 5:09 am

Manocad wrote:This sounds like fun but I'm on a quest for unicorns at the moment. Don't think I'll have time.

Barney Stinston is that you???
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Post#20 » by Spykes » Fri Jan 9, 2009 5:18 am

EGame wrote:Good post except we have not beaten the Hawks at home... Yet. :P

I accidentally counted a pre-season game when looking over the Scores and Schedules for Portland.

Return to The General Board