How come theres many injuries in the NBA but not soccer ?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Boognish
RealGM
And1: 16,738

Re: How come theres many injuries in the NBA but not soccer ? 

Post#61 » by Boognish » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:34 am

To those who say that soccer has a lighter schedule: you're wrong. Top European clubs can play 60+ matches in a season (a truly staggering amount).

Soccer is incredibly physical and demanding sport; anyone that dismisses these athletes as pansies has no idea what they're talking about. Injuries are (I would argue) far more prevalent in soccer. The top clubs MUST carry around 20 first-team players for any hope of consistently fielding a quality squad.

For those that call soccer a pussy sport: try it. I play D-1 soccer and can vouch for the sport's physicality. You 'tough' guys probably couldn't handle one tackle. Haters. If you don't like the world's game, don't ask what's wrong with the game, ask what's wrong with yourself - billions see it differently
Boognish
RealGM
And1: 16,738

Post#62 » by Boognish » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:39 am

Islanders82 wrote:Playing in net is all about positioning and smarts, not so much athleticism. They'd look like fools out there. One step to your left or right can be the difference between a goal and no goal.

Keepers have to be explosive and agile (athletic)
edwinko
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#63 » by edwinko » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:06 am

actually it is the opposite. Soccer have way more injuries than NBA, that's because there are not as much body contact during NBA games
el loco
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#64 » by el loco » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:11 am

Flite wrote:Might have something to do with the average height being like 6'6". Taller people I would guess are more prone to injury. Alot more "in air" type play. Playing on hardwood as opposed to grass. Alot faster than soccer... soccer is more of a marathon while basketball can be like a sprint with shorter rest period. The game is built on speed and change of direction... alot of twisting of the joints.

I'd say most basketball injuries are caused by the movements and the environment rather than collisions with other players and physical play.

X2 and to add to it, soccer is played in more open space compared to basketball, which is played in a more confined space.

But, I can't speculate on which game has more injuries fairly because I don't follow soccer for all I know they might have as many or more.
Mahoney_jr
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#65 » by Mahoney_jr » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:24 am

Playing on a pitch instead of hardwood is a very important fact, when comparing both sports.
halfHAVOC
Assistant Coach
And1: 176

Post#66 » by halfHAVOC » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:45 am

sprained ankle thats like a given when playing basketball

+ alot of the in air fouls where someone just lands hard on hardwood , and not grass ...well there you go

the court is probably more dangerous than a field of grass =P
Stream My New Basketball Anthem "KING": https://ampl.ink/7QwkY
celticspierce34
Bench Warmer

Post#67 » by celticspierce34 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:57 am

rugby. that is all
sorokii
Junior
And1: 32

Post#68 » by sorokii » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:06 pm

This thread is wrong from the beginning. In soccer there are way more injuries than in NBA.
da da da da daaaaaa...
HiroProtagonist
Ballboy

Post#69 » by HiroProtagonist » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:26 pm

shaqfan1 wrote:
DieselCeltic wrote:Soccer HAS to be the toughest sport to play. Running back and forth for 45mins in the first half, 45 in second = 90mins of running. I also believe soccer players are in the best physical shape in any sport...and soccer is really violent sport...with crazy tackles...and crazy fouls... watching one UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE GAME...and the way these cats play... and it's unlikely to see them injured...

You cannot tell me basktball and NBA is tougher sport than soccer. So many injuries in the NBA but so little in the soccer...this doesn't add up...

Watching one soccer tackle, where a defender takes down forward, it looks like he will never walk again the way he's fouled yet...he gets up and brushes it off...

I stopped reading and started laughing there. Here's my rebuttal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6jYZuO8 ... re=related

lol and here's mine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVa7eCmL ... re=related

(yes, it gets weird at the end lol)

if you call soccer a violent sport, what would you call rugby?

Alot of the guys who play are massive. Check out jonah lomu, he's 6'5, 270 lbs and can run the 100m in 10.8 seconds. They also don't wear pads to protect from hits and they run back and forth for 80 mins (40 mins each half) with fewer stoppages than soccer.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,749

Post#70 » by gswhoops » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:08 pm

HiroProtagonist wrote:
shaqfan1 wrote:
DieselCeltic wrote:Soccer HAS to be the toughest sport to play. Running back and forth for 45mins in the first half, 45 in second = 90mins of running. I also believe soccer players are in the best physical shape in any sport...and soccer is really violent sport...with crazy tackles...and crazy fouls... watching one UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE GAME...and the way these cats play... and it's unlikely to see them injured...

You cannot tell me basktball and NBA is tougher sport than soccer. So many injuries in the NBA but so little in the soccer...this doesn't add up...

Watching one soccer tackle, where a defender takes down forward, it looks like he will never walk again the way he's fouled yet...he gets up and brushes it off...

I stopped reading and started laughing there. Here's my rebuttal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6jYZuO8 ... re=related

lol and here's mine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVa7eCmL ... re=related

(yes, it gets weird at the end lol)

if you call soccer a violent sport, what would you call rugby?

Alot of the guys who play are massive. Check out jonah lomu, he's 6'5, 270 lbs and can run the 100m in 10.8 seconds. They also don't wear pads to protect from hits and they run back and forth for 40 mins with fewer stoppages than soccer.

QFT. If you want to see some violent hits, watch the Lions vs. Boks test matches this summer.
TsunamiZC
Sixth Man

Post#71 » by TsunamiZC » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:57 pm

lakersfr wrote:To those who say that soccer has a lighter schedule: you're wrong. Top European clubs can play 60+ matches in a season (a truly staggering amount).

Soccer is incredibly physical and demanding sport; anyone that dismisses these athletes as pansies has no idea what they're talking about. Injuries are (I would argue) far more prevalent in soccer. The top clubs MUST carry around 20 first-team players for any hope of consistently fielding a quality squad.

For those that call soccer a pussy sport: try it. I play D-1 soccer and can vouch for the sport's physicality. You 'tough' guys probably couldn't handle one tackle. Haters. If you don't like the world's game, don't ask what's wrong with the game, ask what's wrong with yourself - billions see it differently

billions of people can be wrong. Soccer (football) doesnt suck though, its just boring.
DieselCeltic
Banned User

Post#72 » by DieselCeltic » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:59 pm

TsunamiZC wrote:
lakersfr wrote:To those who say that soccer has a lighter schedule: you're wrong. Top European clubs can play 60+ matches in a season (a truly staggering amount).

billions of people can be wrong. Soccer (football) doesnt suck though, its just boring.

It's boring in the states, but the rest of the world loves it.
MikeM
General Manager
And1: 9,878

Post#73 » by MikeM » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:00 pm

Way more injuries in soccer than basketball. And there might even be more flopping in basketball nowadays. Basketball is one of the softest sports, just look at the rules.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#74 » by 5DOM » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:05 pm

sorokii wrote:This thread is wrong from the beginning. In soccer there are way more injuries than in NBA.

Yeah, I am pretty sure there are more major injuries in soccer than in NBA. I don't know about minor ones though.
tombo125
Sophomore

Post#75 » by tombo125 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:23 pm

5DOM wrote:
sorokii wrote:This thread is wrong from the beginning. In soccer there are way more injuries than in NBA.

Yeah, I am pretty sure there are more major injuries in soccer than in NBA. I don't know about minor ones though.

yeah there are some nasty soccer injuries.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ry3L1Ou9GM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cF4-rI_ ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_Mdm4v- ... re=related

The only basketball injuries that compare is the shaun livingston knee injury.
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,078

Post#76 » by High 5 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:05 pm

DieselCeltic wrote:It's boring in the states, but the rest of the world loves it.

Because the rest of the world doesn't have the NFL and NBA.

Soccer players avoid injury because they cower at the thought of contact. They're small. They aren't jumping 4 feet into the air with other giants fighting for a rebound. Most NBA injuries happen when someone jumps. Soccer players run, they jog, they walk, they stand, they kick some, and then run around with their shirts over their heads like morons when someone finally scores in the 527th minute.

But there are a lot of soccer injuries so this thread fails from the get-go.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#77 » by AdamTheGreek » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:21 pm

^^^You'd be surprised how may collisions occur when players fight for headers (and they get big air too).

Some very ignorant posts as expected whenever soccer or Europe is brought up in general.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,505

Post#78 » by The Laker Kid » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:24 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:How many NBA players get injured flopping?

8 not including Chris Paul
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
tombo125
Sophomore

Post#79 » by tombo125 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:29 pm

AdamTheGreek wrote:^^^You'd be surprised how may collisions occur when players fight for headers (and they get big air too).

Some very ignorant posts as expected whenever soccer or Europe is brought up in general.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GEB-TYLMmQ
BubbaTee
Head Coach
And1: 546

Post#80 » by BubbaTee » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:39 pm

lakersfr wrote: If you don't like the world's game, don't ask what's wrong with the game, ask what's wrong with yourself - billions see it differently

Ah, the old popularity = quality argument.

If you don't like McDonald's, ask what's wrong with yourself - billions see it differently.

Return to The General Board