How come theres many injuries in the NBA but not soccer ?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

JoshB914
Head Coach
And1: 2

Re: How come theres many injuries in the NBA but not soccer ? 

Post#81 » by JoshB914 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:55 pm

There are actually quite a few injuries in soccer. So I'm not really sure what the purpose of this thread is.
Trax416
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#82 » by Trax416 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:01 pm

Kobay wrote:Well, we Americans have ADD. We can't withstand two hours of watching floppers try to put up one point and fail 100 times before it.

WTF?

All the NBA is , is flopping. Almost every single drive someone flops. Don't think so? Watch Rondo next game he plays. Almost every single time he drives he flops. So does Lebron, Wade, Manu and tons of other players.

There is easily, by far, more flopping in the NBA now then there is in say the Premier League.

You can go 15-20 minutes in a good Premier game without seeing someone blatantly flop. You can't go 5 drives in the NBA without seeing somebody flop like a girl.

I am 6 foot 10, 250 pounds. I played basketball and football my entire life. When you are strong and tall, you don't flop to the floor by running and having someone lightly touch you on the back. Period.
JoshB914
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#83 » by JoshB914 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:03 pm

sorokii wrote:This thread is wrong from the beginning. In soccer there are way more injuries than in NBA.
Trax416
Bench Warmer

Post#84 » by Trax416 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:06 pm

High 5 wrote:
DieselCeltic wrote:It's boring in the states, but the rest of the world loves it.

Because the rest of the world doesn't have the NFL and NBA.

Soccer players avoid injury because they cower at the thought of contact. They're small. They aren't jumping 4 feet into the air with other giants fighting for a rebound. Most NBA injuries happen when someone jumps. Soccer players run, they jog, they walk, they stand, they kick some, and then run around with their shirts over their heads like morons when someone finally scores in the 527th minute.

But there are a lot of soccer injuries so this thread fails from the get-go.

WTF? Soccer players jump all the **** time. Every single time the ball goes in the air, soccer players are literally jumping ontop of each other and kicking each other with their cleats to head the ball.

I can tell the fat pigs who have never played a sport in their lives. If you played soccer, I doubt you would be able to walk off the pitch when the game was finished.

It's more physical then people think. You are allowed way more contact then in the NBA. Where if you even touch a player who has the ball, it's a foul. In soccer, you can do anything you want except blatantly kick them or trip them.

You ever had a palm strike to your liver or kidneys? NBA doesn't compare, because NBA allows next to no contact anymore.
Trax416
Bench Warmer

Post#85 » by Trax416 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:08 pm

BubbaTee wrote:
lakersfr wrote: If you don't like the world's game, don't ask what's wrong with the game, ask what's wrong with yourself - billions see it differently

Ah, the old popularity = quality argument.

If you don't like McDonald's, ask what's wrong with yourself - billions see it differently.

That would be a good argument, if the people who hated soccer (Americans), didn't happen to have the lowest IQ on average out of any civilized nation.

Just so you know, the 90 percent of the world, American Football is considered the Mcdonalds of sports. People love Basketball, Hockey, baseball and soccer.
TsunamiZC
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#86 » by TsunamiZC » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:09 pm

DieselCeltic wrote:
TsunamiZC wrote:
lakersfr wrote:To those who say that soccer has a lighter schedule: you're wrong. Top European clubs can play 60+ matches in a season (a truly staggering amount).

Soccer is incredibly physical and demanding sport; anyone that dismisses these athletes as pansies has no idea what they're talking about. Injuries are (I would argue) far more prevalent in soccer. The top clubs MUST carry around 20 first-team players for any hope of consistently fielding a quality squad.

For those that call soccer a pussy sport: try it. I play D-1 soccer and can vouch for the sport's physicality. You 'tough' guys probably couldn't handle one tackle. Haters. If you don't like the world's game, don't ask what's wrong with the game, ask what's wrong with yourself - billions see it differently

billions of people can be wrong. Soccer (football) doesnt suck though, its just boring.

It's boring in the states, but the rest of the world loves it.

Its boring period, even if 3/4ths of the world loves it. Watching men run non stop for nearly 90 minutes and end with scores of 1-1 or 1-0. Its so much fun to play, I used to play back in Mexico when I was a kid, but watching it is still painful.
Trax416
Bench Warmer

Post#87 » by Trax416 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:11 pm

TsunamiZC wrote:

Its boring period, even if 3/4ths of the world loves it. Watching men run non stop for nearly 90 minutes and end with scores of 1-1 or 1-0. Its so much fun to play, I used to play back in Mexico when I was a kid, but watching it is still painful.

It's not always about the goals. It's about the play of players, the skill it involves, and the anticipation. Every time a goal is scored in a soccer game, it's like a game winning shot in the NBA. That is how it feels. Some people love it, some people don't.

Hockey used to be the same, but they have changed the rules a lot, and more goals are scored now.
Caravaggio
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#88 » by Caravaggio » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:12 pm

To the OP: Because soccer is nothing like basketball and it's extremely simple to understand the differences.

/thread
hayden
Veteran
And1: 548

Post#89 » by hayden » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:19 pm

Soccer is for people too short to play basketball.
LarsV8 wrote:[Jeremy Lin] just isn't very good.
TsunamiZC
Sixth Man

Post#90 » by TsunamiZC » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:19 pm

AdamTheGreek wrote:^^^You'd be surprised how may collisions occur when players fight for headers (and they get big air too).

Some very ignorant posts as expected whenever soccer or Europe is brought up in general.

Yeah I was thinking that too, its not like scoccer players never jump, but the spacing is less abundant in NBA, they jump and land on other players feet.
USA
Banned User
And1: 455

Post#91 » by USA » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:43 pm

High 5 wrote:
DieselCeltic wrote:It's boring in the states, but the rest of the world loves it.

Maybe soccer should change their scoring so everytime a goal is scored you get 7 points to make it seem more high scoring then it really is. Or maybe they should give you 3 points if you score from beyond 30 yards.
ylvn8
Ballboy

Post#92 » by ylvn8 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:47 pm

Soccer: 1 game per week. 90 min per game.
NBA: 3 games per week on average. 48 min per game.

Soccer: player average height: Allen Iverson.
NBA: player average height: Kobe Bryant.

/thread
BubbaTee
Head Coach
And1: 546

Post#93 » by BubbaTee » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:47 pm

Trax416 wrote:
BubbaTee wrote:
lakersfr wrote: If you don't like the world's game, don't ask what's wrong with the game, ask what's wrong with yourself - billions see it differently

Ah, the old popularity = quality argument.

If you don't like McDonald's, ask what's wrong with yourself - billions see it differently.

That would be a good argument, if the people who hated soccer (Americans), didn't happen to have the lowest IQ on average out of any civilized nation.

Just so you know, the 90 percent of the world, American Football is considered the Mcdonalds of sports. People love Basketball, Hockey, baseball and soccer.

Americans don't hate soccer. It's the most played sport in the US. They just don't like watching it on TV.

American football = McDonald's doesn't even make sense. McDonald's is global and cheap, American football is mostly limited to North America and expensive to play. Soccer is McDonald's - it's widely available across the world, and is easily accessible due to its low cost.

People around the world love hockey and baseball? You'd better mean field hockey, because most of the world doesn't even have access to the flat, frozen surfaces necessary for ice hockey. Cricket is played and/or followed by far more people than baseball or ice hockey, as are tennis and volleyball and table tennis and auto racing.

Also - LOL @ IQ tests.
"People who boast about their IQ are losers." - Stephen Hawking
DieselCeltic
Banned User

Post#94 » by DieselCeltic » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:58 pm

I love basketball as much as all of you do and I've been watching NBA/EUROLEAGUE etc...all my life but you cannot compare the passion and the fire that soccer brings, esp. in Europe, South America and Asia. You cannot tell me United States is bigger than 3 other worlds continets ?? Its been known that about 6 billion people watch the World Cup....I wonder how many people watch NBA Finals, or World Series or Superbowl ???

And whoever said ""the rest of the world doesn't have the NFL and NBA.""....other countries could give two sh*ts about NFL....NBA is becoming something else...worldwide sport...and we all love basketball..but when it comes to American Football, Baseball ...they only remain popular in United States.... well Japan is growing on baseball but still...

You know what else is funny.... when someone wins world series or NBA title...they are being called the "world champions" hahahahah... how can someone be a WORLD CHAMPION if they only play in their own country among themselves...I don't get it..

And whoever said soccer is stupid sport..blah blah...you're disrespecting legends like Maradona, Pele and other soccer stars. Let's not be selfish here and make fun of other sports. It's obvious that some of you are just white trash, red-neck Americans who care only about their own thing.

This is coming from an American as well...

No hard feelings.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#95 » by AdamTheGreek » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:15 pm

hayden wrote:Soccer is for people too short to play basketball.

Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,078

Post#96 » by High 5 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:45 pm

AdamTheGreek wrote:^^^You'd be surprised how may collisions occur when players fight for headers (and they get big air too).

Some very ignorant posts as expected whenever soccer or Europe is brought up in general.

You can't compare jumping in a soccer game to jumping in the NBA. Bigger players + less space + more air + hard court.

Soccer is a fine sport, but the elitist morons on here get old. Soccer is so popular because it's the easiest sport to play. All you need is a ball and some open space. Any poor kid with a few friends can play a decent game. There are just as many if not more great athletes capable of being great at soccer in the US, but football, basketball, and baseball are more enjoyable sports to most people. I played soccer when I was a kid, but moved on to football because it was more fun to me.
DieselCeltic
Banned User

Post#97 » by DieselCeltic » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:59 pm

High 5 wrote:

You can't compare jumping in a soccer game to jumping in the NBA. Bigger players + less space + more air + hard court.

Soccer is a fine sport, but the elitist morons on here get old. Soccer is so popular because it's the easiest sport to play. All you need is a ball and some open space. Any poor kid with a few friends can play a decent game. There are just as many if not more great athletes capable of being great at soccer in the US, but football, basketball, and baseball are more enjoyable sports to most people. I played soccer when I was a kid, but moved on to football because it was more fun to me.

Please just STFU. In Basketball all you need is a ball and a court and you can play too. What do you mean it's the easiest sport to play. I'd like to see you on a soccer field for 90 mins kid.

Your post has to be THE WORST response that I've ever read in my entire life. Graduate high school before you post here again.

Thank you, come again 8-)
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,078

Post#98 » by High 5 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:07 pm

Basketballs are harder to find than all the different balls you can use for soccer. Hard courts are harder to find than any somewhat flat playing surface. Some type of elevated basket is harder to find/make than just sticking two objects a certain distance apart from each other. If all the poor soccer loving kids in South America, Africa, and Asia had the means to play whatever sport they wanted to play there would be A LOT less soccer players. Most of them have probably never even seen a game of football, basketball, or baseball.

I'll pretend you didn't sound like a 3 year old with that post and ignore the lame insults.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#99 » by AdamTheGreek » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:19 pm

^^You're somewhat correct, but it's not like you can't play basketball with say a soccer ball. And you can play on dirt/gravel. After that, it's easy to use a basket to create a hoop and stick it somewhere.
Yeah it's easier to create a venue for soccer than basketball, but not by that much.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,239

Post#100 » by BadWolf » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:22 pm

High 5 wrote:

Soccer players avoid injury because they cower at the thought of contact. They're small. They aren't jumping 4 feet into the air with other giants fighting for a rebound. Most NBA injuries happen when someone jumps. Soccer players run, they jog, they walk, they stand, they kick some, and then run around with their shirts over their heads like morons when someone finally scores in the 527th minute.

But there are a lot of soccer injuries so this thread fails from the get-go.

Americans think baseball is fun, yet mark soccer as boring.

Return to The General Board