MVP 3.0

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

CHIMOCHI
Starter
And1: 2

Re: MVP 3.0 

Post#721 » by CHIMOCHI » Wed Apr 7, 2010 2:30 am

Lol more turnovers than assists
u mad?
joyner82
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#722 » by joyner82 » Wed Apr 7, 2010 3:40 am

Durant...is...god
Rise Against
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 73

Post#723 » by Rise Against » Wed Apr 7, 2010 8:03 am

It is LeBron's award this year. There is no doubt Durant can win it next year if he continues what he is doing while leading OKC to 55+ wins or so.
KING JAMES1978
Sixth Man
And1: 56

Post#724 » by KING JAMES1978 » Wed Apr 7, 2010 8:13 am

joyner82 wrote:
C'mon Cavs wrote:
spoonhoops wrote:Since James is in Cleveland, it makes the city relevant immediately. Although I believe Durant deserves the MVP, I expect Bron to get it. Give Durant another year or two with sick numbers and he'll put Oklahoma City on the map. Remember when LeBron was putting up huge numbers and couldn't seem to get the MVP? Same scenario here. Durant will get his in due time.

Get back to us when Durant can finish a year with more assists than turnovers. That shouldn't be too much to ask of an "MVP" who plays on the perimeter.

In fact, Durant ranks dead last in assist to turnover ratio for qualified players. Not sure what the criteria is to be qualified, but he's last out of 82...and by a healthy margin too.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/playe ... o/count/81

He's the most efficient volume scorer in the NBA and only 21. He's a better scorer at 21 than LeBron is at 25...and he's not a point guard he's a forward.

Durant is a better scorer than LeBron???Because he has 29.9 and LeBron has 29.7?Are you kidding me?
LeBron at his 21 had 31.4 and 6.6 assist...If he want had easily again this at scoring.
At his 21 Durant has more ppg than LeBron than Jordan and so what??
Let's wait some years(not many,3-4) to see his ppg Career first and then you can argue if he is or not a better scorer...
LeBron after his 7th season has 27.8 ppg/7.1 reb/7.0 ast career stats
Durant after his 3rd season has 25.1 ppg/6.1 reb/2.6 ast career stats
LeBron after his 3rd season had 26.6 ppg/6.6 reb/6.6 ast career stats

To say that Durant is a better scorer than LeBron who is right now 3rd of all time is idiotic...
http://www.basketball-reference.com/lea ... areer.html

LeBron has a GOAT level year.He is the 1st Forward in NBA History who has 8.0+ assist 8.6 right now!Second is Larry Bird with 7.6 assist.This is very difficult.
Durant is a good scorer but he isn't a complete player.

So to say that he is a better scorer than LeBron or Jordan or Baylor is very very early..

And as a player LeBron>>>Kobe>Wade>Durant..right now.
joyner82
Banned User

Post#725 » by joyner82 » Wed Apr 7, 2010 8:28 am

Hey King James hit me up with the FG%, 3P%, FT%, TS%, eFG%, and PPS through year 3 LeBron vs Durant.

31.4 ppg on 23.1 FGA with a TS% of 56.4

OR

29.9 ppg on 20.2 FGA with a TS% of 60.5

hmmm

1.5 ppg on 2.9 FGA is pretty efficient? :lol:

Also back to the assists we go. This is about scoring, not playing point guard. Congrats to LeBron for having to run an offense and not being able to play off the ball. I hear that really makes your actual point guard real effective, which is exactly why they lose in the playoffs.

BTW Durant is probably going to score more points than LeBron did in year 3 despite he will have taken 200 less FGA. That's ridiculous.

Also ROFL @ comparing career ppg for the 2 players. Durant's rookie and 2nd year obviously scales his waaaay down. If Durant averages 30.5 ppg next year he will have surpassed LeBron's career ppg through year 4.
KING JAMES1978
Sixth Man

Post#726 » by KING JAMES1978 » Wed Apr 7, 2010 8:41 am

joyner82 wrote:Hey King James hit me up with the FG%, 3P%, FT%, TS%, eFG%, and PPS through year 3 LeBron vs Durant.

31.4 ppg on 23.1 FGA with a TS% of 56.4

OR

29.9 ppg on 20.2 FGA with a TS% of 60.5

hmmm

1.5 ppg on 2.9 FGA is pretty efficient? :lol:

Also back to the assists we go. This is about scoring, not playing point guard. Congrats to LeBron for having to run an offense and not being able to play off the ball. I hear that really makes your actual point guard real effective, which is exactly why they lose in the playoffs.

A lo of players in NBA History could score.A lot lot..
Players you probably never watched.
Elgin Baylor,Walt Bellamy,David Thomson,George Gervin,Bob Mcdoo,Alex English,Dominique Wilkins even Jerry Stackhouse......
The difficult thing is to be a complete player.
Jordan was not only a great scorer but he was a complete player.He had '89 32.5/8/8.Bird was a great scorer but most important a complete player at '87 28.1/9.2/7.6.LeBron this year 29.7/7.3/8.6!!
Durant has a chance to be a very good scorer but right now is very early to argue that.He is only at his 3rd season..

TS doesn't prove that he is a better scorer..LeBron is 3rd ever in PPG career...Is very early for Durant...to argue.

As a player he never be as good as LeBron.NEVER...He is the 2nd coming of Gervin or Skywalker.No big deal.
Don't compare him to LeBron.
LeBron has a chance to be the Greatest ever.

Even from Kobe's mentor the Logo Jerry West
“He(LeBron) has a chance to be arguably the greatest player ever to play the game.”
-Jerry West

Even from the player who consider as the GOAT Michael Jordan
“LeBron has the potential to be the best ever. As incredible as he already is, he is still learning the game. LeBron is going to be unbelievable.”
-Michael Jordan

Scottie Pippen also
“He (LeBron) will, in my eye, be better than Michael”

The great Larry Bird the same
"When I watch LeBron James a lot of times he's just out there teasin' with the other teams. You know he's getting other people involved early, now he can make the shots. He's just awesome to watch. He's one player in the league that I think that will probably be better than all of us when it's all said and done."
-Larry Bird

Danny Ainge who played in the Golden 80's with and against great players
"I think, before he's done, he has a chance to be the greatest player of all time."
-Danny Ainge
joyner82
Banned User

Post#727 » by joyner82 » Wed Apr 7, 2010 8:45 am

KING JAMES1978 wrote:A lo of players in NBA History could score.A lot lot..
Elgin Baylor,Walt Bellamy,David Thomson,George Gervin,Bob Mcdoo,Alex English,Dominique Wilkins even Jerry Stackhouse......
Jordan was not only a great scorer but he was a complete player.He had '89 32.5/8/8.Bird was a great scorer but most important a complete player at '87 28.1/9.2/7.6.LeBron this year 29.7/7.3/8.6!!
Durant has a chance to be a very good scorer but right now is very early to argue that.He is only at his 3rd season..

TS doesn't prove that he is a better scorer..LeBron is 3rd ever in PPG career...Is very early for Durant...to argue.

As a player he never be as good as LeBron.NEVER...He is the 2nd coming of Gervin or Skywalker.No big deal.

“He(LeBron) has a chance to be arguably the greatest player ever to play the game.”
-Jerry West

“LeBron has the potential to be the best ever. As incredible as he already is, he is still learning the game. LeBron is going to be unbelievable.”
-Michael Jordan

Scottie Pippen also

"When I watch LeBron James a lot of times he's just out there teasin' with the other teams. You know he's getting other people involved early, now he can make the shots. He's just awesome to watch. He's one player in the league that I think that will probably be better than all of us when it's all said and done."
-Larry Bird

"I think, before he's done, he has a chance to be the greatest player of all time."
-Danny Ainge

Do you agree that making your team better is what matters most? And that this would be best demonstrated by your teams performance with and without you on the court?

I'm not even going to get into the ridiculous opinions which are mainly from hype. It's no different from when Jordan entered the league in 85. Nobody gave him a chance to be better than Magic or Bird(uhh hum Kobe and LeBron) and everyone said he was nothing but a scorer who could never win championships.
KING JAMES1978
Sixth Man

Post#728 » by KING JAMES1978 » Wed Apr 7, 2010 9:00 am

joyner82 wrote:
KING JAMES1978 wrote:A lo of players in NBA History could score.A lot lot..

-Jerry West

-Michael Jordan

Scottie Pippen also

-Larry Bird

-Danny Ainge

Do you agree that making your team better is what matters most? And that this would be best demonstrated by your teams performance with and without you on the court?

I'm not even going to get into the ridiculous opinions which are mainly from hype. It's no different from when Jordan entered the league in 85. Nobody gave him a chance to be better than Magic or Bird(uhh hum Kobe and LeBron) and everyone said he was nothing but a scorer who could never win championships.

Jordan after '86 his sophomore year made people think that he has a chance for the GOAT.
Some people dispute him because he won his 1st ring at his 28.But he entered the league at his 21 and LeBron at his 18 or Durant at his 19.
These aren't ridiculous opinions.These are from great players who didn't give a damn for the Hype.Larry Bird speaks one time in ten years...

Don't overrate Durant.He is very early for him.He is a good player but let's wait 3 years to see if he'll improve his all around game....

LeBron is on another planet.I'm 32 and he is the best player I've ever seen.I don't know if he'll be the GOAT but he is the only player in todays Era who has a real chance.
Durant I'm not sure if he'll be a Top-15 ever...Let's see....
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#729 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Thu Apr 8, 2010 9:42 pm

Steve Nash... easily
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#730 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Thu Apr 8, 2010 9:43 pm

joyner82 wrote:Durant...is...god

Only you and the NBA refs agree on this one...
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
kenneth9265
Head Coach
And1: 9

Post#731 » by kenneth9265 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:27 pm

Telfair > durant..... :lol:
MickaelPietrus
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#732 » by MickaelPietrus » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:23 pm

Durant can't play half the defense Lebron plays.
TruckRobinson
Junior
And1: 4

Post#733 » by TruckRobinson » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:30 am

LBJ in overwhelming fashion- arguably one of the best years a player has ever had.
joyner82
Banned User

Post#734 » by joyner82 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:37 am

MickaelPietrus wrote:Durant can't play half the defense Lebron plays.

lol Durant is 21...he's a better defender then LBJ was at 21.
delonte
Banned User

Post#735 » by delonte » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:47 am

joyner82 wrote:

No hes not.
Jimmy76
RealGM
And1: 8

Post#736 » by Jimmy76 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:48 am

delonte wrote:
joyner82 wrote:

No hes not.

im not really sure how good a defender LBJ was at 21

but Durant has been excellent this year
joyner82
Banned User

Post#737 » by joyner82 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:55 am

delonte wrote:
No hes not.

Defensive Rating
Durant-103PP100P
LeBron-104PP100P

Advantage Durant

On/Off defensive Rating margin
Durant -3.0 PP100P
LeBron +3.2 PP100P(Cavs were better defensively without LeBron)

Advantage Durant

Opponents PER
Durant-13.9
LeBron-14.6

Advantage Durant

Durant is clearly a better defender
InBoobieWeTrust
General Manager

Post#738 » by InBoobieWeTrust » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:42 pm

joyner82 wrote:
delonte wrote:
No hes not.

Defensive Rating
Durant-103PP100P
LeBron-104PP100P

Advantage Durant

Durant -3.0 PP100P

Advantage Durant

Opponents PER
Durant-13.9
LeBron-14.6

Advantage Durant

Statistics, while nice, are severely lacking when it comes to quantifying defensive ability/impact. Opponent PER is insanely flawed, on/off is affected by too many other factors(such as the better defensive players coming off the bench when LeBron would go rest; LeBron having to play with Drew Gooden who is the worst defender of all-time in Mike Brown's scheme because it its' reliance on not being a moron), and defensive rating just takes the flawed stats and tries to make one formula.

I've watched about 18-20 OKC games this season, and I obviously have watched every Cavs game for the past 15 or so years, and I haven't seen anything that screams "awesome defender" from Durant. In LeBron's 3rd season, I saw the same thing, except he was so insanely athletic/strong that he could wreak slightly more havoc than Durant. Overall I'd call it a "draw" in their third season, with LeBron showing more potential to be an elite defender over his career than Durant. Though, I'm sure you're going to just call me a homer and go hide behind your bad statistics.
joyner82
Banned User

Post#739 » by joyner82 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:49 pm

InBoobieWeTrust wrote:
joyner82 wrote:
delonte wrote:
No hes not.

Defensive Rating
Durant-103PP100P
LeBron-104PP100P

Advantage Durant

Durant -3.0 PP100P

Advantage Durant

Opponents PER
Durant-13.9
LeBron-14.6

Advantage Durant

Statistics, while nice, are severely lacking when it comes to quantifying defensive ability/impact. Opponent PER is insanely flawed, on/off is affected by too many other factors(such as the better defensive players coming off the bench when LeBron would go rest; LeBron having to play with Drew Gooden who is the worst defender of all-time in Mike Brown's scheme because it its' reliance on not being a moron), and defensive rating just takes the flawed stats and tries to make one formula.

I've watched about 18-20 OKC games this season, and I obviously have watched every Cavs game for the past 15 or so years, and I haven't seen anything that screams "awesome defender" from Durant. In LeBron's 3rd season, I saw the same thing, except he was so insanely athletic/strong that he could wreak slightly more havoc than Durant. Overall I'd call it a "draw" in their third season, with LeBron showing more potential to be an elite defender over his career than Durant. Though, I'm sure you're going to just call me a homer and go hide behind your bad statistics.

Stats don't lie...and Durant has the potential to be Scottie Pippen 2.0 on defense.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,985

Post#740 » by Sedale Threatt » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:52 pm

joyner82 wrote:Stats don't lie...and Durant has the potential to be Scottie Pippen 2.0 on defense.

Which is why Mark Twain said, "There are three different kind of lies: Lies, damned lies and statistics."

And PLEASE don't tell me you honestly believe the second part of your statement.

Return to The General Board