RealGM 2023 Top 100 Project - #2 (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar)

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

DQuinn1575
Sixth Man
And1: 705

Re: RealGM 2023 Top 100 Project - #2 (Deadline 7/6 11:59pm) 

Post#201 » by DQuinn1575 » Fri Jul 7, 2023 11:43 am

OhayoKD wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
I'm still going to side with MJ though, and I think to illustrate why I gave LeBron the nod over Jordan, but not Kareem, let's consider this:

Oldest POY age:

LeBron 35
Jordan 34
Kareem 32

While Kareem deserves an edge due to longevity over Jordan, this isn't a situation like it was with LeBron where he literally had the case of being the best in the world at an age beyond Jordan's end-of-prime retirement. At a time when Jordan was still the consensus best player in the world at the end of another 3-peat, Kareem had already been eclipsed.

Hopefully you realize that LeBron at 35 is basically the same age -49 days older than Jordan- at 34. Had Basketball-Reference used the age at the start or end of the season they would be the same. They selected Feb 1, middle of the season, which is arbitrary, but "helps" LeBron and "hurts" Jordan.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,034

Post#202 » by OhayoKD » Fri Jul 7, 2023 11:56 am

DQuinn1575 wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
I'm still going to side with MJ though, and I think to illustrate why I gave LeBron the nod over Jordan, but not Kareem, let's consider this:

Oldest POY age:

LeBron 35
Jordan 34
Kareem 32

While Kareem deserves an edge due to longevity over Jordan, this isn't a situation like it was with LeBron where he literally had the case of being the best in the world at an age beyond Jordan's end-of-prime retirement. At a time when Jordan was still the consensus best player in the world at the end of another 3-peat, Kareem had already been eclipsed.

Hopefully you realize that LeBron at 35 is basically the same age -49 days older than Jordan- at 34. Had Basketball-Reference used the age at the start or end of the season they would be the same. They selected Feb 1, middle of the season, which is arbitrary, but "helps" LeBron and "hurts" Jordan.

Yes. Year 17 with way more regular season and playoff minutes is definitely comparable to year 13 after literally taking a nearly 2-season break. Brillant. Of course Lebron was still arguably comparable to any Jordan taking a 40ish win without rs team to 64 with and then scaling up in the playoffs to lead an all-time dominant playoff team alongside his co-star on the back of Magic-esque offense(league-best creation+elite-scoring+all the rest with outlier poor spacing for a modern champion) and peak-jordan calibre defense(literally out-impacted one of Kawhi's defensively in one of his best defensive seasons, functioned as a rim protector/strong 2nd banana for a goated playoff defense during multiple rounds of the playoffs, ect, ect)

Lebron was also looking on pace for a MVP and second championship run(typically that makes for an easy poy win) in 2021 before he got hurt, but I guess you can thank Solomon Hill for Jordan winning the "won a poy when he was only marginally younger" award
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
rk2023
Starter
And1: 2,160

Post#203 » by rk2023 » Fri Jul 7, 2023 12:07 pm

DQuinn1575 wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

Oldest POY age:

LeBron 35
Jordan 34
Kareem 32

It doesn’t seem like Doc made/was making the point as an “anti MJ, pro LBJ” point - rather mentioning they both showed ability to be the clear-cut #1 on a championship team at that general age
Mogspan wrote:I think they see the super rare combo of high IQ with freakish athleticism and overrate the former a bit, kind of like a hot girl who is rather articulate being thought of as “super smart.” I don’t know kind of a weird analogy, but you catch my drift.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant

Post#204 » by OhayoKD » Fri Jul 7, 2023 12:22 pm

rk2023 wrote:
DQuinn1575 wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:

It doesn’t seem like Doc made/was making the point as an “anti MJ, pro LBJ” point - rather mentioning they both showed ability to be the clear-cut #1 on a championship team at that general age

I mean he says "beyond" and ties it to Lebron having a longetvity advantage. That seems clearly as a point in Lebron's favor...which it very obviously is
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
lessthanjake
Sixth Man
And1: 1,469

Post#205 » by lessthanjake » Fri Jul 7, 2023 2:08 pm

I think this vote is over and has gone to Kareem (though I’ve not done a count myself), but I will note that the idea of comparing specific Kareem seasons to specific Jordan seasons is a bit odd. That sort of analysis is very very ripe for motivated reasoning (you can basically decide that anything is comparable if you want). And, on the substance, it inevitably ends up ignoring a whole bunch of Jordan’s title seasons. Like, even if you thought 1971 Kareem is similar in quality to 1991 Jordan (which I think is actually plausible—that 1971 season was ridiculous for Kareem) and you thought Jordan’s early seasons were analogous to Kareem’s late 1970’s seasons (which I think is a little less plausible), there’s not an analogue to 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, or 1998. Maybe we slap 1980 on as an analogue to one of them, and then say that 1972 Kareem was great and just ran into an incredible team , but we’re still just at a point where there’s a bunch of dominant Jordan seasons for which there’s no analogue in Kareem’s career. And that’s ultimately the point.
OhayoKD wrote:Lebron contributes more to all the phases of play than Messi does. And he is of course a defensive anchor unlike messi.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,330

Post#206 » by trex_8063 » Fri Jul 7, 2023 2:16 pm

Moonbeam wrote:
Spoiler:
So I found a pretty big flaw with my age curves which were used to reallocate Win Shares. In short, I discovered that age curves had Bill Sharman and Bob Cousy peaking as defenders in their mid-30s. :lol: I should have seen it coming, but it's easy to get lost in code and results that "feel" right. The general framework of the approach I am working on is still promising, but it needs some tweaks.

That said, I've written some code to examine the impact on assigned Win Shares to teammates based on changes in minutes played, and have some reasonably compelling graphs to indicate whether certain players tend to be overcredited or undercredited in their own Win Share totals.

As an example, let's consider Russell's potential* impact on the 1957 Celtic D.

In 1956, Bob Cousy (without Russell as a teammate) had 0.045 DWS/48 in 2767 minutes, and in 1957, he had 0.096 DWS/48 in 2364 minutes with rookie Russell as a teammate. That's a jump of 0.051 DWS/48 associated with an increase in 1695 minutes with Russell on the team. In 1957, Togo Palazzi had 0.086 DWS/48 in 233 minutes with Boston and rookie Russell as a teammate, but dropped to 0.048 DWS/48 in 1001 minutes the following year without Russell as a teammate. That's a drop of 0.038 DWS/48 associated with a reduction in 233 minutes with Russell as a teammate. We can do this with all teammates across Russell's career to get a glimpse of his potential impact on teammate DWS/48 (and OWS/48 too).

*I say potential here as there is serious multicollinearity with the Celtics given how stable their rosters were. 1957 also saw rookie Tom Heinsohn. I'm battling to separate Heinsohn's impact from Russell's in regression approaches so far. Not sure if ridge or lasso will help, but I'll keep working away.

I'll present career graphs now of changes in teammate minutes played for the 5 eligible players in question against the corresponding changes in OWS/48 and DWS/48. The size of the dots is related to the minimum MP in consecutive seasons being considered. In the earlier example, Cousy's would be 2364, and Palazzi's would be 233. I also have a weighted correlation I can compute across their careers with weights corresponding to these minimum MP.

Bill Russell:

Weighted correlation for OWS/48: -0.158

Weighted correlation for DWS/48: 0.790

This suggests that Russell may be somewhat overcredited in OWS, but also suggests (or screams!) that he is massively undercredited in DWS. That graph is stunning!

Wilt Chamberlain:

Weighted correlation for OWS/48: -0.206

Weighted correlation for DWS/48: 0.236

This suggests Wilt may be overcredited in terms of OWS, but perhaps surprisingly, undercredited by roughly the same amount in DWS.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar:

Weighted correlation for OWS/48: -0.068

Weighted correlation for DWS/48: 0.487

This suggests Kareem may be slightly overcredited in terms of OWS, but quite undercredited in terms of DWS.

Michael Jordan:

Weighted correlation for OWS/48: 0.127

Weighted correlation for DWS/48: 0.132

This suggests MJ may be somewhat undercredited in both OWS and DWS.

Tim Duncan:

Weighted correlation for OWS/48: -0.155

Weighted correlation for DWS/48: 0.704

This is nearly identical to Russell!

These graphs and measures give a lot of weight to rookie and final years (and in MJ's case, many final and "rookie" years, haha), but I thought it would be interesting to share.

Super-interesting stuff, MB, thanks for sharing.

Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly: what you're calling "weighted correlation" is the correlation coefficient, yes?

If so, that is a strikingly high correlation seen in the DWS change for both Russell and Duncan (I would say supports the credibility of one poster's statement regarding Duncan's case as defensive GOAT, too, fwiw).
Marginally weakens the GOAT [or #2] case for Wilt (relative to the others). I would say strengthens Kareem's candidacy relative to Jordan for this spot, albeit only marginally.

Out of curiosity, are there other players would you be willing/able to run some of the other great defensive bigs through similar methodology: Robinson, Hakeem, Mutombo, Ewing, maybe Dwight Howard, too. Would love to see how theirs shape out. Obviously, would love to see other all-timers, too: LeBron, Magic, Shaq, Garnett, Bird, Kobe, etc.

Also, is there any way to take this information and quantify an "adjustment/correction" to the individual WS/48 of the players analyzed? That would be cool, but I could see where any such effort would come with an EXTREME amount of noise.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing. Great work.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
DQuinn1575
Sixth Man
And1: 705

Post#207 » by DQuinn1575 » Fri Jul 7, 2023 3:09 pm

trex_8063 wrote:
Moonbeam wrote:
Spoiler:
So I found a pretty big flaw with my age curves which were used to reallocate Win Shares. In short, I discovered that age curves had Bill Sharman and Bob Cousy peaking as defenders in their mid-30s. :lol: I should have seen it coming, but it's easy to get lost in code and results that "feel" right. The general framework of the approach I am working on is still promising, but it needs some tweaks.

That said, I've written some code to examine the impact on assigned Win Shares to teammates based on changes in minutes played, and have some reasonably compelling graphs to indicate whether certain players tend to be overcredited or undercredited in their own Win Share totals.

As an example, let's consider Russell's potential* impact on the 1957 Celtic D.

In 1956, Bob Cousy (without Russell as a teammate) had 0.045 DWS/48 in 2767 minutes, and in 1957, he had 0.096 DWS/48 in 2364 minutes with rookie Russell as a teammate. That's a jump of 0.051 DWS/48 associated with an increase in 1695 minutes with Russell on the team. In 1957, Togo Palazzi had 0.086 DWS/48 in 233 minutes with Boston and rookie Russell as a teammate, but dropped to 0.048 DWS/48 in 1001 minutes the following year without Russell as a teammate. That's a drop of 0.038 DWS/48 associated with a reduction in 233 minutes with Russell as a teammate. We can do this with all teammates across Russell's career to get a glimpse of his potential impact on teammate DWS/48 (and OWS/48 too).

*I say potential here as there is serious multicollinearity with the Celtics given how stable their rosters were. 1957 also saw rookie Tom Heinsohn. I'm battling to separate Heinsohn's impact from Russell's in regression approaches so far. Not sure if ridge or lasso will help, but I'll keep working away.

I'll present career graphs now of changes in teammate minutes played for the 5 eligible players in question against the corresponding changes in OWS/48 and DWS/48. The size of the dots is related to the minimum MP in consecutive seasons being considered. In the earlier example, Cousy's would be 2364, and Palazzi's would be 233. I also have a weighted correlation I can compute across their careers with weights corresponding to these minimum MP.

Bill Russell:

Weighted correlation for OWS/48: -0.158

Weighted correlation for DWS/48: 0.790

This suggests that Russell may be somewhat overcredited in OWS, but also suggests (or screams!) that he is massively undercredited in DWS. That graph is stunning!

Wilt Chamberlain:

Weighted correlation for OWS/48: -0.206

Weighted correlation for DWS/48: 0.236

This suggests Wilt may be overcredited in terms of OWS, but perhaps surprisingly, undercredited by roughly the same amount in DWS.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar:

Weighted correlation for OWS/48: -0.068

Weighted correlation for DWS/48: 0.487

This suggests Kareem may be slightly overcredited in terms of OWS, but quite undercredited in terms of DWS.

Michael Jordan:

Weighted correlation for OWS/48: 0.127

Weighted correlation for DWS/48: 0.132

This suggests MJ may be somewhat undercredited in both OWS and DWS.

Tim Duncan:

Weighted correlation for OWS/48: -0.155

Weighted correlation for DWS/48: 0.704

This is nearly identical to Russell!

These graphs and measures give a lot of weight to rookie and final years (and in MJ's case, many final and "rookie" years, haha), but I thought it would be interesting to share.

Super-interesting stuff, MB, thanks for sharing.

Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly: what you're calling "weighted correlation" is the correlation coefficient, yes?

If so, that is a strikingly high correlation seen in the DWS change for both Russell and Duncan (I would say supports the credibility of one poster's statement regarding Duncan's case as defensive GOAT, too, fwiw).
Marginally weakens the GOAT [or #2] case for Wilt (relative to the others). I would say strengthens Kareem's candidacy relative to Jordan for this spot, albeit only marginally.

Out of curiosity, are there other players would you be willing/able to run some of the other great defensive bigs through similar methodology: Robinson, Hakeem, Mutombo, Ewing, maybe Dwight Howard, too. Would love to see how theirs shape out. Obviously, would love to see other all-timers, too: LeBron, Magic, Shaq, Garnett, Bird, Kobe, etc.

Also, is there any way to take this information and quantify an "adjustment/correction" to the individual WS/48 of the players analyzed? That would be cool, but I could see where any such effort would come with an EXTREME amount of noise.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing. Great work.

Isn't the challenge with Russell the lack of player movement? Playing Devil's advocate, what if Heinsohn and Sam Jones were the 2 all-time great defenders, and Russell was nothing special? You probably get something similar for SAS if you say that for DRob and Parker or Ginobili.
Obviously both Duncan and Russell are great, but they both went into good situations, never left, and played with some good/great teammates who also never played elsewhere. It makes it really hard to separate, and to detemine how good/how much credit we give Sam Jones, Tony Parker, Manu GInobili, or Tommy Heinsohn.
I don't have an answer, part of me wished Russell or Duncan did play in different environments some, or missed some games. The fact they didn't is part of their greatness, just makes it really hard to compare.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant

Post#208 » by OhayoKD » Fri Jul 7, 2023 3:13 pm

lessthanjake wrote:I think this vote is over and has gone to Kareem (though I’ve not done a count myself), but I will note that the idea of comparing specific Kareem seasons to specific Jordan seasons is a bit odd. That sort of analysis is very very ripe for motivated reasoning (you can basically decide that anything is comparable if you want).
Which is why I noted every assumption being made and explained the reasoning for the extrap, after directly comparing their career-wide 1-year signals(wowy, and indirect) where Kareem also looks better. Yes it "can" be misused, like one could just assume two-teams had equivalent casts with basically no justification and then use the result to claim the player with better results(with no attempt to account for health or even just the player in question) and then decide the player with better team results was a better cieling raisier. In fact, that is more or less what is happening when you list "dominant title seasons" without any sort of cast-assessment as if we have reason to think 1997 MJ's "impact" would be higher than the consistently better-looking(by box and snippets of non-box) 1988. As is we can also do this with other title-years, it just makes Mj look worse. 1993-1994 or 1993-1995 does Jordan no favors but I guess we can get to that later. I could have just taken the 86 net-rating that had the Bulls tick up to 31-wins, but I literally made things as favorable for Micheal as possible regarding a year which dominates the pack statistically.

Ultimately there is going to be some sort of "extrapolation" if you are making a call on which player offered more individual value(or "cieling raising" or whatever). That does not change if you are framing "production" with a certain definition or comparing skillsets. There are potential problems, but that is always going to be true. Even if we had "full-season" RAPM, RAPM does not actually function well as a single-season comparer for players who have value beyond a certain treshold because it curves outlier value down. Nothing we have is without possible issues. So we have to weigh things based on considerations like sample-size, inclusiveness, relevance, ect and try to use things best according to the strengths or weaknesses. That's just how it works.

We can have big samples for a probable peak, or we can have no assumptions. Either way Kareem looks better.
And, on the substance, it inevitably ends up ignoring a whole bunch of Jordan’s title seasons. Like, even if you thought 1971 Kareem is similar in quality to 1991 Jordan (which I think is actually plausible—that 1971 season was ridiculous for Kareem)

1991 is quite literally the Bulls 2nd best title run, connected to the year recently voted by the board as the #1 peak. It is shortly preceded by the year(1988) that is top 3 or top 1 in any box-or-non-box statistic, and it is immediately preceded by the 2nd most popular "peak" pick. What exactly are you expecting to happen if we include years with a worse "on"?

Also, while it did not end up in a championship, as far as impact goes, if 71 Kareem is ~ 91 Micheal, 72 Kareem is strongly advantaged as he leads a better full-strength team with a diminished version of his co-star relative to 71. That is also an "extrapolation", but I'd say that's much better justified then something like 'best two teammates similar, team must be similar, yes health issues but so what". Kareem has won 6 rings. Was there some rigorous methodology you applied when assuming that Kareem's later wins were a result of better help?
and you thought Jordan’s early seasons were analogous to Kareem’s late 1970’s seasons (which I think is a little less plausible),

Don't think it really matters unless you have a reason to think 1988 is actually not a peak year for MJ in terms of situational lift. Where in the careers it lines-up is kind of secondary. If kareem is exceeding a high-water mark(if you think it is likely not, feel free to explain why) in different years you consider non-anagolous, then from an impact standpoint, that's just really good for Kareem.

All that said, since you think it is unfair of me to focus on Jordan's second best team ever, we can just work off a very clean 82-game sample for 93 Jordan. And here, you do not have to make --any-- assumptions. In fact, as a show of good-faith I will literally replace the Bulls disappointing 93 regular season with their better full-strength three-peat average:
Spoiler:
Falcolombardi wrote:So some thinghs here about that +7 number

First that is really weird to use the 93 bulls playoffs improvement as their "real level" cause they improved in the playoffs after coasting. Then not use the 94 bulls playoffs (where they also improved a lot) as their "real level" too

The 94 bulls actually had a +8.9 postseason srs which is almost the same as their 93 seasom +10 post season srs ( +1 difference)

The 94 bulls also missed 20 combined games from their two stars and played a +4.7 srs when healthy in the regular season (+1.5 difference with the 93 bulls with jordan) and in a very generous best case scenario a (+5.3 difference with even the 92 bulls regular season )

If i average the 94 bulls (+4.7 at full strenght in regular season and +8.9 in playoffs) vs the 92 reg season + 93 playoffs combination draymomd used (and please notice i am already picking and choosing the parts that help jordan more) the gap is only 5 points

That is not goat level.

Even by you guys own approach[Draygold and DJoker are the "guys" for context as it is below other all time greats lift in either absolute terms or in "ceiling raising" situations

I also dont get the "improving a good team is harder" part in relation to kareem, who led a goat level team in the 71 bucks so he was not exactly lacking in "ceiling raising" either compared to jordan while also having better "floor raising" lift as evidenced by their 60~ win pace without oscar in 1972

Or 08/09 garnett who had a similar lift from +3.4 to +9 and he is not even among the goat candidatws short list yet matches jordan here

i could also bring up other cases of lift like 2015 lebron cavs +10 postseason srs with a lot less talent and that the 91 bulls (kirye and love hurt) which strikes me as a even more extreme example of "ceiling raising" considering the floor it came off.
Iirc it's +5 if you combine the rs and playoff sample but feel free to take the +4.7

Yeah, doesn't help Jordan at all. And if you think that's a one-off fluke, I'll remind you they were at a 52-win pace in 95 with Pippen having filed a trade-request. Even in 94, Pippen was forced to spend minutes at sg, and longley, Scottie, and Horace were beefing. As far as it goes for "data" pre-data ball, the Bulls without MJ being crazy good is about as "certain" as it gets.

Simply put, impact does not much like Micheal here. You can say it's all noise, and point to the PER and whatever production, subjectively defined, as you want, but as far as "success-cast" goes, Jordan does not have a good case vs Kareem. Even WOWYR really doesn't help here, because with 70sfan's corrections, wowyr's base(wowy) favors Kareem. So even if you wanted to deal with the noisy-small sample randomness there, we have no idea who wowyr likes better.

If you want me to just go off what I think like u did with miami and chicago, I would also say I don't think the 1980 Lakers had comparable help to all but the 97 or 98 Bulls and they were still very dominant. But I am trying to to go off what can be empirically justified without a bunch of complicated derivations or assumptions(which fwiw i think had me and anenigma estimating the lakers help at somewhere between 45 and 50), and I am also doing so in a way where I make favorable assumptions for Mike. If Chicago had won 66 games in 1988, Jordan would probably have a much stronger impact argument. But they won 50(53-full strength). If the Bulls had only won 30 games when Jordan left, he'd have a phenomenal peak argument(but they literally contended for a title). We work with what we have. And what we have does not support Jordan being as impactful as Kareem imo.
LA Bird
Analyst
And1: 3,148

Post#209 » by LA Bird » Fri Jul 7, 2023 3:25 pm

Let me know if I need to fix anything but this is the count I got (Edit: Fixed ty 4191 and ShaqAttac's vote)

There were 23 voters from the pool (excluding ty 4191). 12 first place votes are required for a majority win.

First place:
1. Kareem = 10 votes
2. Jordan = 6 votes
3. Russell = 5 votes
T4. Wilt, Duncan = 1 vote

Eliminating Wilt and Duncan nets Kareem 2 more first place votes for a total of 12 and thus the win for this round.
Also, in terms of H2H between the top 3, Kareem beats Jordan 14-9, Jordan beats Russell 11-10, Kareem beats Russell 18-5.

Winner: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

OhayoKD
Lead Assistant

Post#210 » by OhayoKD » Fri Jul 7, 2023 3:29 pm

LA Bird wrote:Let me know if I need to fix anything but this is the count I got:

There were 23 voters from the pool (excluding ty 4191). 12 first place votes are required for a majority win.

First place:
1. Kareem = 10 votes
2. Jordan = 6 votes
3. Russell = 5 votes
T4. Wilt, Duncan = 1 vote

Eliminating Wilt and Duncan nets Kareem 2 more first place votes for a total of 12 and thus the win for this round.
Also, in terms of H2H between the top 3, Kareem beats Jordan 13-10, Jordan beats Russell 12-9, Kareem beats Russell 17-5.

Winner: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

I think Ty voted Russell 2nd and Wilt first. Jordan was 3rd. Not that it matters much, but for technical correctness...

Very wierd Kareem went from 0 1st place votes to the most. Clearly Lebron swallowed up his voting bloc in the 1st round. Will be interesting if a similar thing happens with Russell-Kareem. Duncan also could be an interesting wild-card.

edit: Shaqattac had Kareem 2nd, not Jordan iirc
lessthanjake
Sixth Man
And1: 1,469

Post#211 » by lessthanjake » Fri Jul 7, 2023 3:52 pm

OhayoKD wrote: 1991 is quite literally the Bulls 2nd best title run, connected to the year recently voted by the board as the #1 peak. It is shortly preceded by the year(1988) that is top 3 or top 1 in any box-or-non-box statistic, and it is immediately preceded by the 2nd most popular "peak" pick. What exactly are you expecting to happen if we include years with a worse "on"?

Also, while it did not end up in a championship, as far as impact goes, if 71 Kareem is ~ 91 Micheal, 72 Kareem is strongly advantaged as he leads a better full-strength team with a diminished version of his co-star relative to 71. That is also an "extrapolation", but I'd say that's much better justified then something like 'best two teammates similar, team must be similar, yes health issues but so what".

Kareem had a great regular season in 1971-1972. And his numbers were good in the playoffs, though fairly inefficient (he shot 43.7% in the playoffs, compared to a 57.4% regular season FG%). But it was not the equivalent of Jordan seasons where he ultimately was the best player in every playoff series and won a title. I don’t even think Kareem himself would say it was.

Kareem has won 6 rings. Was there some rigorous methodology you applied when assuming that Kareem's later wins were a result of better help?

Kareem himself was the help for multiple of those championships. It’s not even remotely similar, and you surely realize that.

All that said, since you think it is unfair of me to focus on Jordan's second best team ever, we can just work off a very clean 82-game sample for 93 Jordan. And here, you do not have to make --any-- assumptions. In fact, as a show of good-faith I will literally replace the Bulls disappointing 93 regular season with their better full-strength three-peat average:

What you quote seems to find great importance in comparing the 1993 Bulls’ playoff SRS with the 1994 Bulls’ playoff SRS. Which is an obviously ludicrous comparison, because the 1993 Bulls made the finals and the 1994 Bulls lost in the conference semifinals, so there’s a massive difference in opponents’ form. To that point, 1994 Bulls had a positive net rating in the playoffs largely because they swept a 47-win Cavaliers team that was completely injury-ravaged by the time the playoffs came around (losing Brad Daugherty, Larry Nance, and Hot Rod Williams, and therefore having Gerald Wilkins as their leading scorer). It’s all just completely motivated-reasoning-based data manipulation, and, again, you surely realize that. Anything trying to claim that the 1993 Bulls weren’t much better than the 1994 Bulls is just absurd. The 1994 Bulls beat one totally injury-ravaged team and then lost a close series to a good team. The 1993 Bulls won the title while losing just 4 playoff games, against a gauntlet that included facing 3 of the top 4 teams in the league in SRS (besides the Bulls themselves, and those top 4 along with the Bulls were all well above the rest of the pack in SRS that year). There’s no amount of data manipulation that can make this actually similar.
OhayoKD wrote:Lebron contributes more to all the phases of play than Messi does. And he is of course a defensive anchor unlike messi.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant

Post#212 » by OhayoKD » Fri Jul 7, 2023 4:47 pm

lessthanjake wrote:
OhayoKD wrote: 1991 is quite literally the Bulls 2nd best title run, connected to the year recently voted by the board as the #1 peak. It is shortly preceded by the year(1988) that is top 3 or top 1 in any box-or-non-box statistic, and it is immediately preceded by the 2nd most popular "peak" pick. What exactly are you expecting to happen if we include years with a worse "on"?

Also, while it did not end up in a championship, as far as impact goes, if 71 Kareem is ~ 91 Micheal, 72 Kareem is strongly advantaged as he leads a better full-strength team with a diminished version of his co-star relative to 71. That is also an "extrapolation", but I'd say that's much better justified then something like 'best two teammates similar, team must be similar, yes health issues but so what".

Kareem had a great regular season in 1971-1972. And his numbers were good in the playoffs, though fairly inefficient (he shot 43.7% in the playoffs, compared to a 57.4% regular season FG%). But it was not the equivalent of Jordan seasons where he ultimately was the best player in every playoff series and won a title. I don’t even think Kareem himself would say it was.

And yet the Bucks elevated in the playoffs with their already diminished co-star dropping off in an an injury and performed better vs a better opponent than Jordan did in a year he put up the same playoff "production" vs better competition. Again, what you "think" is not true just because you want it to be. By impact, 72 Kareem is likely >71. Non-contextualized fg% has no weight beyond what you can justify. And it certainly would not be the only-time a player acheived better outcomes than Jordan in-spite of shooting worse(cough, 2015)

Kareem has won 6 rings. Was there some rigorous methodology you applied when assuming that Kareem's later wins were a result of better help?

Kareem himself was the help for multiple of those championships. It’s not even remotely similar, and you surely realize that.

Wrong. "Help" is not a matter of distribution. It is possible to not be the best player and have less help. You have this very interesting habit of making a blind assumption and then treating it as a fact, but no, your assertion "it's not even remotely similar" is more of one then what I've done with Jordan. You and emience are welcome to make whatever assumptions you want, but they are assumptions. And frankly I'd say regarding this conversation, they're mostly ****. "won as best player" means nothing inofitself. Just like marking down rodman as a "low-end all-star" when he turned the Bulls into an extra-possession outlier and posted a similar WOWY to 72 Oscar and then trying to pretend Jordan wasn't on the 95 Bulls so you can extrapolate a kareem-level signal from 96.

Here's another one:

What you quote seems to find great importance in comparing the 1993 Bulls’ playoff SRS with the 1994 Bulls’ playoff SRS. Which is an obviously ludicrous comparison, because the 1993 Bulls made the finals and the 1994 Bulls lost in the conference semifinals, so there’s a massive difference in opponents’ form. To that point, 1994 Bulls had a positive net rating in the playoffs because they swept a 47-win Cavaliers team that was completely injury-ravaged by the time the playoffs came around (losing Brad Daugherty, Larry Nance, and Hot Rod Williams, and therefore having Gerald Wilkins as their leading scorer).

Sounds good. Here's the problem. Their playoff rotation posted a net-rating of +5.8 for the rest of the season. And a large part of that playoff overperformance came on the road against the Knicks. Did you check? No. Because narrative-crafting matters more to you than evidence. Tell me again what happened in 95?
It’s all just completely motivated-reasoning-based data manipulation
[/quote]
No. "manipulation" is pretending the Lakers lost nothing to acquire Kareem in 76, trying to chuck 96 with other 1-year signals, continually equating WOWYR with WOWY and then accusing me of bias when I make favorable assumptions towards the player you like(let's equate the three-peat rs with 92 to juice the Bulls full srs).

I am not the one trying to sneak in assumptions as facts("Jordan produced more than anyone! simple!!!!!"). Jordan does not hold up vs Kareem if you care about the "off". Feel free to offer another baseless theory about "ceiling raising" if that makes you feel better.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,710

Post#213 » by Doctor MJ » Fri Jul 7, 2023 5:01 pm

Initially Induction tally yields:

Kareeem 10 (trelos, rk, ceoofk, Dr P, Ohayo, hcl, eminence, falco, Colbinii, LA B)
Jordan 6 (ltj, trex, iggy, DQuinn, Clyde, f4p)
Russell 5 (beast, AEnigma, Lou, ShaqA, Doc)
Duncan 1 (OaD)
Wilt 1 (ZPage)

Re-allocating 2nd votes:

Kareem adds 4 (OAD, AEnigma, ShaqA, ZPage)
Jordan adds 3 (beast, Lou, Doc)

Kareem wins 14-9 over Jordan.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Inducted as #2 on Top 100, up one spot from the 2020 project.

Nomination count:
Hakeem 6 (rk, AEnigma, Ohayo, ShaqA, f4p, LA B)
Shaq 4 (OaD, ceoofk, Dr P, iggy)
Mikan 3 (beast, eminence, Moonbeam)
Garnett 1 (Lou)
Magic 1 (Doc)

Hakeem Olajuwon becomes a Nominee.

Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,330

Post#214 » by trex_8063 » Fri Jul 7, 2023 5:09 pm

Oh dear. I think we can expect contact from an angry Jordan-contingent:

Spoiler:

I'll be hiding under my bed for awhile (even though I voted for him).
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
LA Bird
Analyst
And1: 3,148

Post#215 » by LA Bird » Fri Jul 7, 2023 5:42 pm

trex_8063 wrote:Oh dear. I think we can expect contact from an angry Jordan-contingent:

Spoiler:

I'll be hiding under my bed for awhile (even though I voted for him).

All hell would break loose if Jordan drops to 4, which is possible considering he was only one vote ahead of Russell this round.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Re: RealGM 2023 Top 100 Project - #2 (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar) 

Post#216 » by Doctor MJ » Fri Jul 7, 2023 7:03 pm

Jordan dropping below Kareem, and dropping so decisively is almost certainly going to be the big event of this project even presuming he just drops to 3.

I think we're definitely going to want to further analyze what factors resonated to shift the ground so dramatically.

eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,889

Post#217 » by eminence » Fri Jul 7, 2023 7:12 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:Jordan dropping below Kareem, and dropping so decisively is almost certainly going to be the big event of this project even presuming he just drops to 3.

I think we're definitely going to want to further analyze what factors resonated to shift the ground so dramatically.

Just you wait for the legendary Bob Davies push that's coming.

In all seriousness I would like to see him make the list this go around.
I bought a boat.
rk2023
Starter
And1: 2,160

Post#218 » by rk2023 » Fri Jul 7, 2023 7:18 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:Jordan dropping below Kareem, and dropping so decisively is almost certainly going to be the big event of this project even presuming he just drops to 3.

Perhaps it could be more of an appreciation for longevity, based on what I’ve seen from voting similarities across posters. Unsure how much to consider it a personal chicken-egg effect, where fans are seeing some of this gens’ players (eg. Paul Curry Durant James) do impressive things well past the age of 30 threshold. If people might be fans/admirers of those players, perhaps longevity resultedly becomes more of a emphasis amidst criterion. Perhaps admiration for players doing that (inversely) gives people a greater sense of appreciation for the sport. There’s a few different ways to interpret it, but a higher consensus on Kareem than usual and more open-minded conversation I feel would be driven by longevity.
Mogspan wrote:I think they see the super rare combo of high IQ with freakish athleticism and overrate the former a bit, kind of like a hot girl who is rather articulate being thought of as “super smart.” I don’t know kind of a weird analogy, but you catch my drift.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#219 » by Doctor MJ » Fri Jul 7, 2023 7:20 pm

OhayoKD wrote:But you're not a big fan of raw "impact" so why don't we use AUPM? A combination of on/off and...BPM

Let me say that again: ON/OFF and...
This box score information is also weighted according to what position or role the player has on the team. For instance, a block by a center is good, but a block by a guard is great.

...BPM

And you know whose 3-year playoff peak scores higher? In the metric which literally thinks Micheal Jordan's weakside-help is more valuable than Duncan's paint-deterrence?

I must point out that you're confusing BPMs - which is quite understandable of course since it's so hard to keep all of these similarly named things straight.

Ben's assessment of his own BPM is that it weights big man blocks considerably more strongly than Daniel Myers' BPM (used on bkref).

OhayoKD
Lead Assistant

Post#220 » by OhayoKD » Fri Jul 7, 2023 7:23 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:But you're not a big fan of raw "impact" so why don't we use AUPM? A combination of on/off and...BPM

Let me say that again: ON/OFF and...
This box score information is also weighted according to what position or role the player has on the team. For instance, a block by a center is good, but a block by a guard is great.

...BPM

And you know whose 3-year playoff peak scores higher? In the metric which literally thinks Micheal Jordan's weakside-help is more valuable than Duncan's paint-deterrence?

I must point out that you're confusing BPMs - which is quite understandable of course since it's so hard to keep all of these similarly named things straight.

Ben's assessment of his own BPM is that it weights big man blocks considerably more strongly than Daniel Myers' BPM (used on bkref).

Oh wow. That's a pretty significant misstep on my part. Will not include that then on my duncan explanation next thread.

Thank you for clarifying. Is there a place where ben explains the specific methodology with his own BPM?

Return to Player Comparisons