RealGM 2023 Top 100 Project - #3 (Michael Jordan)

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

lessthanjake
Sixth Man
And1: 1,470

Re: RealGM 2023 Top 100 Project - #3 (Deadline 7/9 11:59pm) 

Post#181 » by lessthanjake » Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:29 am

Moonbeam wrote:Let's look it it the other way, using data from 1984 onward. Here are the mean/median Z scores for champs and non-champs in different SRS bands.

SRS between 2 and 4:

Non-champs: Median 0.64, Mean 0.65 (163 teams)
Champs: Median 0.85, Mean 0.76 (3 teams)

SRS between 4 and 6:

Non-champs: Median 1.06, Mean 1.07 (102 teams)
Champs: Median 1.16, Mean 1.14 (13 Teams)

SRS between 6 and 8:

Non-champs: Median 1.44, Mean 1.48 (69 teams)
Champs: Median 1.60, Mean 1.58 (12 Teams)

SRS above 8:

Non-champs: Median 1.91, Mean 1.92 (11 teams)
Champs: Median 2.09, Mean 2.08 (11 teams)

Within each of these bands, the Z scores are higher for the champs than the non-champs.

What's more, building a model (logistic regression) for a title using either SRS or the Z score, the model with the Z score is more predictive (AIC of 120.07 vs 109.7 using SRS vs Z score for all league history, and AIC of 11.25 vs 8.09 using SRS vs Z score for teams since 1984).

How many champs and non-champs are there above certain Z-Score thresholds (let’s say 1.5 and 1.70—the latter looking roughly on the trend line with 8 SRS)? Because, for instance, the above suggests that teams with SRS above 8 have won 50% of the time, and just eyeballing it I don’t think that the title-winning percentage for teams above analogous Z-score thresholds is similar. And the question is basically about what is more predictive of the title-winning chances for a really good team, not for any team.

Numbers about the chances in the overall data set are not really meaningful, because, as I mentioned earlier, there’s a title winner every year, so the title-winners are definitionally going to be evenly distributed between the different variance environments. And any difference in predictiveness in the overall data is largely just going to be caused by what variance environment was more common in years with fewer teams (as in, if the years with fewer teams tended to be lower-variance years, then Z-score will correlate more highly with winning titles, simply because the percent of teams winning the title in low-variance environments would naturally be higher by virtue of the low-variance environments being the years with fewer teams). The question is about whether the chances of very top teams winning is higher or lower in different variance environments—which is more aptly demonstrated by what the title-winning rate is for teams at the high end of SRS vs. the rate for teams at the high end of Z Score. Of course, even that is going to overrate the predictiveness of Z scores if low-variance years correlate with years with lower numbers of teams in the league, because there’s likely to be more really good teams in a league with more teams, which will decrease the title-winning rate of top teams. But then if you try to avoid that issue by limiting the data just to recent enough years that the size of the league is the same or virtually the same, the sample size of data for very top teams will be really low (and actually be fairly dominated by the actual data points we were discussing in the first place!), so I’m not sure this exercise can realistically be very helpful in getting to the ultimate question.

In any event, I think enough ink has been spilled on this, at least on my end, and it only relates back to a very minor point, so I’m going to bow out on discussing it. Of course, I have no issue with others continuing to discuss. But now that Jordan is getting in here, I must prepare for my push for Steph at #5 hahaha!
OhayoKD wrote:Lebron contributes more to all the phases of play than Messi does. And he is of course a defensive anchor unlike messi.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,889

Post#182 » by eminence » Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:52 am

Moonbeam wrote:Let's look it it the other way, using data from 1984 onward. Here are the mean/median Z scores for champs and non-champs in different SRS bands.

SRS between 2 and 4:

SRS between 4 and 6:

SRS between 6 and 8:

SRS above 8:

Within each of these bands, the Z scores are higher for the champs than the non-champs.

What's more, building a model (logistic regression) for a title using either SRS or the Z score, the model with the Z score is more predictive (AIC of 120.07 vs 109.7 using SRS vs Z score for all league history, and AIC of 11.25 vs 8.09 using SRS vs Z score for teams since 1984).

At first thought, the SRS should be higher in those bands for champs as well, or at the least it's very possible. I don't think the buckets demonstrate the point unfortunately.

Champs are +3.17, +5.22, +6.98, +9.63 (using Denver, who I think you missed), which would likely be higher than each of the other squads, though I don't have a full list to hand to check.
I bought a boat.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,651

Post#183 » by 70sFan » Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:21 am

f4p wrote:so i finished the 2nd half and got:

Robinson - 18
Rose - 2
Duncan - 1

again, possessions where they guarded shaq even if the lakers didn't want to give shaq the ball because the defender was too good.

Total for Game

Robinson - 35
Bryant - 5
Duncan - 5
Rose - 3

Interesting data, thanks.

so for the other poster, my original statement was that duncan was not just out there guarding shaq all day for the series.

I don't think anyone argued that Duncan was the only Shaq defender throughout the whole series.

the fact i watched game 5 and didn't see duncan guard shaq much despite robinson's limited minutes,

Duncan guarded Shaq in game 5 though, I will post video later, though I already posted DFGA numbers.

i would say my original thought that duncan was getting significant help guarding shaq seems fairly accurate.
[/quote]
He did, no doubt about it. You can't guard the best players in the world with no help.
Moonbeam
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 4,940

Post#184 » by Moonbeam » Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:32 am

eminence wrote:

SRS between 2 and 4:

SRS between 4 and 6:

SRS between 6 and 8:

SRS above 8:

At first thought, the SRS should be higher in those bands for champs as well, or at the least it's very possible. I don't think the buckets demonstrate the point unfortunately.

Champs are +3.17, +5.22, +6.98, +9.63 (using Denver, who I think you missed), which would likely be higher than each of the other squads, though I don't have a full list to hand to check.

You're right, I missed 2023! I need to download the game results for the 2022-23 season still and my code tossed out 2023 teams as a bunch of NAs.

In any case, I think we're getting into the weeds a little too much with this (or at least I am :lol:). The variance in SRS has been drastically reduced since 1984 (which is the early cutoff of these bands for me).

This means that the value of comparisons using Z scores vs SRS won't be as pronounced if we restrict our attention to 1984 onward as opposed to the entire history of the league.
Moonbeam
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 4,940

Post#185 » by Moonbeam » Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:12 am

Voting Post

Don't want to miss my vote this time. It's easy to get side-tracked with other conversations in this project (which may be the best part of it, after all). It's meant I don't have a lot of time to expand upon my reasoning --- hopefully I'll have more time for the next vote.

My vote will be for Michael Jordan. I'm open to arguments for Wilt, Russell, or Duncan here, but none of them have convinced me to move off of Jordan. I *do* think that there are valid reasons to choose all of them over Jordan, but I just can't land there. The sustained dominance he had and the absurd playoff jump makes it hard for me to deny. He's got several seasons which are GOAT-worthy, and his durability during his prime was excellent. Wilt and Jordan dominate the statistical landscape, and I'm more convinced that MJ's numbers hold up under increased scrutiny than Wilt's. Russell and Duncan are the bigger question marks for me. They land well behind Wilt and MJ by numbers alone, but the huge correlation between teammate WS/48 changes with them as teammates means that the gap can at least be significantly narrowed, and perhaps completely overcome. I'm not sure I buy that yet, though, so MJ gets my vote.

I'm going to repeat my nomination for George Mikan. I think there are other players I'd rank more highly (e.g. Shaq, Magic, Oscar), but I think Mikan has a more viable case for the Top 4 than those guys do.
f4p
Pro Prospect
And1: 948

Post#186 » by f4p » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:47 am

OhayoKD wrote:
f4p wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:...is probably better than a player who posts a worse record of 27-3 (or 27-2) over a convenient 7 or 8-year frame while getting to dunk on weaker early round opposition

expanding to 16 teams does not seem to have resulted in jordan facing weaker teams. if only because russell faced incredibly weak teams for the first 9 seasons of his career.

Measured by raw srs which is not necessarily an indicator of league "strength"(high-srs counts tend to happen when the league is diluted by expansion) and obviously isn't particularly meaningful in a truly era-relative comparison. Again...

it's not a measure of league strength. it's a measure of opponent strength. mathematically, the best championship odds situation for a team is if all of their opponents achieve perfect parity, at whatever level that is. so for the celtics in a 9 team league, an SRS of (negative Celtics SRS / 8), so something like -1 if the celtics were +8. facing two +3's is better than a +2 and +4 and better than a +0 and +6. not only that, since there are cutoffs to make the nba playoffs, every team that deviates below perfect parity will usually miss the playoffs and you are left playing only the teams above parity, meaning you not only are playing unequal teams and not maximizing your odds for a given combined opponents SRS, but you are playing a higher overall combined opponents SRS. the celtics got as close to that ideal as possible as they stood way above the league and the rest of the league was struggling to crack +2 SRS. it's just better for your odds.

i would be careful about saying russell overperformed more. now he can't beat jordan in percentage terms even if he wins 13/13

There's nothing to be careful about. Having a higher "percentage" overperformance when you actually underperform by raw count is not a reflection of you or your team being more resilient, it's a reflection of the percentage gap naturally shrinking over longer periods as addition is slower than multiplication. Over uneven samples of volume, rate will skew towards teams with less "chances". If you want to do "percentage" you need to compare like for like samples. Otherwise you stick with the addition.

there's no reason why that skew will occur, unless the team with fewer chances is converting them at a more outlier rate. if a team has two 50% chances and wins 1, they will get no percentage or absolute delta. it's only when a team has 6 50% chances and wins 6 that they get a percentage delta advantage. in russell's case, i already noted that i wasn't comparing him on a percentage basis because he simply could not catch jordan even going 13/13. but i also explained exactly why using raw delta skewed toward chances, at least in overperformers like jordan and russell. in addition to already converting every chance above 6.3% that he had, jordan would have to win the 4th least likely championship (either 1988 or 1990) to catch russell's delta. the sweet spot for absolute delta is either having a ton of 70% chances (celtics) or converting a good chunk of the 20-50% chances. when all of your chances are 2.5% and below, history says you just end up with 0 titles in those years.

jordan is limited because he essentially has 0% chances before 1991, the kind of odds where basically no one wins. all of his actual and all of his expected come from 7 seasons, with no chances to build otherwise. and even if you think someone could have made 1990 better as you say in other posts, even if we assume bill russell could come to 1990 and somehow massively surpass peak michael jordan to turn the bulls from a +2.74 team all the way into a +6.74 team

This assumes that "help" remained constant throughout 1990 but the Bulls are a much better team even just going by rolling srs by the 90 playoffs than they are at the start of the season. Though you should already know that since you've responded to and replied to several posts explaining that...

this is my first time seeing that chart, there are a bunch of posts going on right now. either way, it's just another example of an "adjustment" we have to make for michael jordan. now we can't even call his 2.74 team a 2.74 team, it's really a +4 team, or maybe a +6 team, because there is a quick spike to +6 at some point we can look at. there's only so many "at full strength", "if you look at this stretch", "if we assume oakley was an amazing player" adjustments we can make before we either a) have to take this same fine-toothed comb to everyone and apply it perfectly or b) we are slicing and dicing so much that it's meaningless in the big picture as teams have all sorts of good times and bad times and different reactions to subtracting a player or adding a player. lots of teams aren't at full strength all the time, lots of teams ebb and flow through a season. the 1993 to 1994 houston rockets went an insane 62-12 from the end of the 1993 season (40-11) through the beginning of the 1994 season (22-1). were we a budding superteam that should have stomped the league silly in the 1993 playoffs? well, we finished 6th in SRS both years and did well to win one title, so the hot streak seemed to get lost in the wash of the overall team ability.

Russell would not need to "massively surpass" peak Jordan. Significantly surpassing should suffice(we are assuming era-translation here) which, considering that 1969 Russell seems to have a bigger influence than peak Mike, doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

again, it's not the things you say in a jordan argument, it's the degree. i took bill russell, on his last legs in the nba, a guy whose offensive game was down to the point that over the last 4 games of the finals he averaged 7 ppg playing all 48 minutes and shot a horrendous 31%, at which point he then retired, and compared him to peak michael jordan. a jordan won just won the peaks project (i didn't vote) and who is generally considered to basically be at his peak from 88-92. i didn't even say russell was worse than him. i didn't even say russell's value would drop in a league where players can make an 18 footer (and keep in mind, his value would drop some just from being in a league where you can't play all 48 minutes any more and, with a pace of 100 instead of 125, you only have maybe 85 possessions on the floor instead of 125). i took last legs bill russell compared to peak michael jordan and didn't just keep things equal, didn't just add 1 or 2 or 3 SRS points. i went all the way to 4, an 11 win shift. and it's not enough.

i gotta first adjust the bulls up a couple points just because and then maybe add some more bill russell points. even if i take the bulls as a 4.5 team, i'm still have to add 2.25 SRS points above peak jordan to get to the 6.74 SRS number i mentioned. and after all that, i'm still at 18.4% chance at a title. and after all that generosity, that's the best possible season in jordan's career up to that point. 18.4%. so jordan would have to convert every single chance greater than 6.3% just to catch russell's delta. thus showing why number of chances is a big factor.

, a fairly incredible change, the bulls would still only be at 18.4% odds ad unlikely to win (russell converted on lower chances but also both losses were on higher chances).

Those 2 losses being when he missed half the series with an injury and when he ran into wilt+a loaded squad(as in they were really good without him) as a retiring player-coach. And even if you weren't aware of that context, you should know by now that using regular season srs for the 90 Bulls is fully misleading.

maybe his massive favorite team shouldn't have gone down 1-2 before he got injured, like it seemed to constantly do against lesser teams, often surviving those occasions by the slimmest of slim margins in game 7. we can afford to let the luck run out on bill one time in 13 years.

also, i don't know that about the 90 bulls. i will continue to assume that teams aren't just the best stretch of the season that they played. and not use interpolated SRS's over multiple seasons, especially as i'm not doing it for anyone else.

If you want to go by "chances" by the pistons series they are something between a +4 and +6 team(that might underrate them).

+6 might underrate a +2.7 team? even the highest spike on the chart didn't reach 6 before falling back towards 4.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,035

Post#187 » by OhayoKD » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:55 am

Regarding the "which teams were more likely to win championships" section
lessthanjake wrote:
f4p wrote:
eminence wrote:
Thanks Dray. That was kind of my memory, though I couldn't remember well enough to say for sure.

On the overall discussion, I expect standard deviations are probably a marginal upgrade on 'raw' SRS, which is itself a marginal upgrade on MOV, which is at least a somewhat meaningful predictive upgrade on Win% - though debatable if being more predictive is really what we're going for in this project.

So my basic position - two levels deeper than practical and really a waste of time.

i haven't had a chance to read the z-score discussion (which i see has grown since the post i quoted), but i've seen it in the past and, from what i remember, i'm not sure i see the value. if we're trying to determine who is more likely to win the championship, i suspect higher z-scores make it more likely, but it would presumably be reflected in the SRS prediction of the playoff series anyway, and it doesn't seem to say anything about the quality of the team, merely the distribution of talent in the rest of the league.

if the celtics are +8 and the other 8 teams all cluster at exactly -1, the celtics will have an enormous z-score and also be extremely likely to win the title, as beating two -1 teams is extremely likely. if those same 8 teams instead spread out into -8, -6, -4, -2, 0, 2, 4, and 6 teams. the average is still -1 but the z-score will be much lower. and beating a +2 and +6 team will be much less likely. but the celtics will still be the same team, having accumulated a +8 against a cumulative -8 league (with the cumulative of the others always balancing out your own SRS). and in fact, the celtics basically lived in that first example for many years. with all the other teams clustered around the "lukewarm dog water" level of team play. making their titles extremely likely by historical standards, especially with only 2 rounds to play.

Yeah, these are good points.

Honestly, the chance of winning a title is probably actually best determined by doing something more targeted at the other top contenders: Perhaps something like looking at a team’s SRS gap against the average of the top few other teams in terms of SRS. Because, ultimately, your chance of winning is probably more about that than where you stand compared to the league as a whole, as your example illustrates pretty well. I’m inclined to think the SRS gap against the top few other teams is likely to be higher in a higher-variance environment overall, but that doesn’t have to be the case, as the hypothetical you gave above illustrates..

Well, and I have pointed this out before, by such a standard, the Celtics are very clearly ,more advantaged than the Bulls:

(1996)

(1962)

At the height of their dynasty, the Celtics were comically dominant. From 1962-65, their average margin-of-victory (MOV) was over 8 points per game. During the same time span, only two other teams even eclipsed 4 points per game – the ’64 Royals and the ’64 Warriors. And all of Boston’s separation was created by its historic defense, anchored by Russell:

Anenigma wrote:But par for the course I suppose. Jordan’s case pathologically needs to be a matter of him being the best. 6 needs to be greater than 11. A supporting cast that looks like a top quartile team without you needs to be worse than a cast that ends up looking like a bottom quartile one. Having a regular season SRS three points clear of the next best team on three occasions needs to be better than doing so on six occasions. Being theoretically maybe a conceivably comparable impact standout if we squint needs to put you on the same impact level of a clear and repeatedly demonstrated standout. Or in the tidiest summary, no matter what, if it is inconvenient to this image of an infallible Jordan, lesser separation from the pack needs to be reframed as better than greater separation.

I imagine that's part of why they won 11 championships. Frankly, while SD captures this better than raw SRS does, it's very clearly not a proper substitute. Maybe if it was calculated only looking at the top quartile of the league? Though maybe it's better to just do it as "top 3" or "top 5".
lessthanjake wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:You’re completely missing the point.

Your point did not logically follow. There was nothing to miss. There's also the matter of you misrepresenting(at this point I'm inclined to think it might be deliberate lying) what I said as noted in the section of my post you snipped. Is this really the best way to use that math degree of yours?

The "motivated reasoning" is one thing. But the complimentary "motivated accusations" makes you a truly singular force. Maybe we should vote you at #3?
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
WestGOAT
Starter
And1: 3,350

Post#188 » by WestGOAT » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:03 am

eminence wrote:
Moonbeam wrote:Not really --- I think the league context is important. It's easier for a 4 SRS team to win in a low-variance SRS league than a high one. Since the whole purpose is to compare across years, I think it makes sense to consider the Z scores here, in the same manner it's wise to consider various other player measures relative to league environment (e.g. TS%).

I agree conceptually, I'm having a hard time (literally) seeing it on the graph. Could you do an image with the trendline for the whole set and just the champions dots?

The rationale definitely makes sense, like in 2016 when you have OKC, Spurs and the GSW that were SRS juggernauts in absolute terms, but if you standardize (which should get you the z-scores) that will tell you how much of an outliers they were relatively speaking.

While it's nice to have improved predictive scores (AIC) using this method, it does seems marginal based on the on this graph. There does seem to be trend of data-points skewing to the lower right corner (confirming that Z-scores are better predictive), but it's not super prominent. A trend-line would def help in helping visualize this better.
spotted in Bologna
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,035

Post#189 » by OhayoKD » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:13 am

Honestly, let's start with the TLDR:

Ohayo: "assume Oakley provided no value whatsoever"
FP4: "why are you assuming Oakley was an amazing player?!?"

Yeah, absolutely crazy that his stock has dropped. No clue how...
f4p wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:Measured by raw srs which is not necessarily an indicator of league "strength"(high-srs counts tend to happen when the league is diluted by expansion) and obviously isn't particularly meaningful in a truly era-relative comparison. Again...

it's not a measure of league strength. it's a measure of opponent strength. mathematically, the best championship odds situation for a team is if all of their opponents achieve perfect parity, at whatever level that is. so for the celtics in a 9 team league, an SRS of (negative Celtics SRS / 8), so something like -1 if the celtics were +8. facing two +3's is better than a +2 and +4 and better than a +0 and +6. not only that, since there are cutoffs to make the nba playoffs, every team that deviates below perfect parity will usually miss the playoffs and you are left playing only the teams above parity, meaning you not only are not playing unequal teams and not maximizing your odds for a given combined opponents SRS, but you are playing a higher overall combined opponents SRS. the celtics got as close to that ideal as possible as they stood way above the league and the rest of the league was struggling to crack +2 SRS. it's just better for your odds.

well
1. This is again, not relevant to an era-relative rating(i do not think you are doing that, but some people are)

2. That second distribution will naturally occur in a league with more teams(and it does not necessitate those teams are actually better relative to the best ones)

The 1969 Lakers were *only a +4 srs opponent. The 1967 Sixers were *only +8. But if you expand the league there will be weaker teams that they can pad their numbers up against and suddenly their score shoots up with no actual difference between how they compare to the Celtics. Putting up MOV on teams 20-30 may be nice for their bbr srs, but when the two outlier generators, two top four forces, a season removed from playing you the closest and 2nd closest join up and you still win? that srs moving up is not a reflection that they were "weak" opponents.

i would be careful about saying russell overperformed more. now he can't beat jordan in percentage terms even if he wins 13/13

There's nothing to be careful about. Having a higher "percentage" overperformance when you actually underperform by raw count is not a reflection of you or your team being more resilient, it's a reflection of the percentage gap naturally shrinking over longer periods as addition is slower than multiplication. Over uneven samples of volume, rate will skew towards teams with less "chances". If you want to do "percentage" you need to compare like for like samples. Otherwise you stick with the addition.

there's no reason why that skew will occur

There are a quite a few reasons it will occur, natural aging/atrophy being one of them. It's easier to have an "outlier-rate" over a shorter-stretch(or a smaller set of games).
jordan is limited because he essentially has 0% chances before 1991, the kind of odds where basically no one wins. all of his actual and all of his expected come from 7 seasons, with no chances to build otherwise. and even if you think someone could have made 1990 better as you say in other posts, even if we assume bill russell could come to 1990 and somehow massively surpass peak michael jordan to turn the bulls from a +2.74 team all the way into a +6.74 team

This assumes that "help" remained constant throughout 1990 but the Bulls are a much better team even just going by rolling srs by the 90 playoffs than they are at the start of the season. Though you should already know that since you've responded to and replied to several posts explaining that...

this is my first time seeing that chart, there are a bunch of posts going on right now. either way, it's just another example of an "adjustment" we have to make for michael jordan. now we can't even call his 2.74 team a 2.74 team,
[/quote]
This is only "bad" if you are working from the premise that it is better to be on 2.74 teams than +4 ones. Most of my "adjustments" for Jordan are favorable(ignoring oakley exists, replacing the 1993 regular season with the 1992 regular season). Maybe pay attention to what is actually being adjusted? You keep trying to frame "favorable assumptions" as "unfavorable ones" and I don't understand why. The only frame where "they were not 2.74" actually hurts jordan is one where you are trying to hold the inability to win more regular season games as a positive.

Do you know what generally happens when we don't make these sorts of "adjustments", Jordan looks worse. I actually spell out my reasoning and tell you why and what I'm assuming, but "these sort of adjustments" are inherent to assessing basketball players individually. I could be less specific and just go with raw vibes: "I feel jordan had more help, boom" or with "Russell had two players in the top 100", but I tell you what i'm basing my takes on, and openly invite people to challenge the assumptions they're predicated on.

lots of teams ebb and flow through a season. the 1993 to 1994 houston rockets went an insane 62-12 from the end of the 1993 season (40-11) through the beginning of the 1994 season (22-1). were we a budding superteam that should have stomped the league silly in the 1993 playoffs? well, we finished 6th in SRS both years and did well to win one title, so the hot streak seemed to get lost in the wash of the overall team ability.

I do not know, maybe? What matter is that you're consistent with your process and you distinguish between that which is verifiable and that which is an assumption. I do not think I have been inconsistent or mysterious about what I'm working off, so I do not see the issue.

I also do not see why you interpret everything I do as "unfair to Jordan" when we literally do **** like "Hey the Bulls regular-season sucked in 1993, let's use 1992 instead!". The adjustment was not "oakley was an amazing player', it was "oakley was worth absolutely nothing". Maybe you wouldn't be so hung up on it being a "bad look" for Jordan to drop if you paid attention to what people were actually arguing?

Russell would not need to "massively surpass" peak Jordan. Significantly surpassing should suffice(we are assuming era-translation here) which, considering that 1969 Russell seems to have a bigger influence than peak Mike, doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

again, it's not the things you say in a jordan argument, it's the degree. i took bill russell, on his last legs in the nba, a guy whose offensive game was down to the point that over the last 4 games of the finals he averaged 7 ppg playing all 48 minutes and shot a horrendous 31%, at which point he then retired, and compared him to peak michael jordan. a jordan won just won the peaks project (i didn't vote) and who is generally considered to basically be at his peak from 88-92. i didn't even say russell was worse than him. i didn't even say russell's value would drop in a league where players can make an 18 footer (and keep in mind, his value would drop some just from being in a league where you can't play all 48 minutes any more and, with a pace of 100 instead of 125, you only have maybe 85 possessions on the floor instead of 125). i took last legs bill russell compared to peak michael jordan and didn't just keep things equal, didn't just add 1 or 2 or 3 SRS points. i went all the way to 4, an 11 win shift. and it's not enough.

Homie, why does it matter that his his offensive game plummeted when his value(and the Celtics being the biggest outlier in sports) has always been predicated on defense? This is the issue. People make points for MJ, then they never actually explain how the hell that leads to the conclusion they're reaching. You can go +4 if you want. I was only stating they were between +4 and +6 because I saw it pass +4 and hit near +6. Just like I throw away Oakley and pretend he was worthless because I want to keep things simple.

You keep assuming my evidence is biased in one direction, but when I am mostly gassing up Jordan because we don't have the data to be more precise, saying I'm being unfair just tells me you aren't actually paying attention when you read what I write.
, a fairly incredible change, the bulls would still only be at 18.4% odds ad unlikely to win (russell converted on lower chances but also both losses were on higher chances).

Those 2 losses being when he missed half the series with an injury and when he ran into wilt+a loaded squad(as in they were really good without him) as a retiring player-coach. And even if you weren't aware of that context, you should know by now that using regular season srs for the 90 Bulls is fully misleading.

maybe his massive favorite team shouldn't have gone down 1-2 before he got injured, like it seemed to constantly do against lesser teams, often surviving those occasions by the slimmest of slim margins in game 7. we can afford to let the luck run out on bill one time in 13 years.
[/quote]
But he wasn't "down 1-2" before he got injured. He was tied 1-1 and they lost by 3-points after he lost(I do not know what the score was, but maybe 70's can tell us). Like seriously, how desperate are we here. We're going to compare 13 years to 6, we're going to give Jordan a pass for retiring, and then we are going to say "RUSSELL HAD BIGGER CHANCES TO WIN" when he ran into what was a goat-level opponent as a first-time PLAYER-COACH and when he missed half the series? Is there a reason why you keep pretending that 13-years vs 6 is a fair comparison. Jordan's Bulls were not a comparable dynasty to Russell's Celtics. If they were, you would not need to make all these unfavorable adjustments just to get them equal. Some of the stuff I do for Jordan helps him, some of it does not. But you are basically throwing everything you can to give MJ parity. You going along with things that "feel wrong" is not the same as me going along with an unfavorable framing of the evidence. You can say you don't like where my arguments lead, but that is not in any way equivalent to you taking 6-years comparing it to 13-years and then disregarding a loss for one potentially due to absence, and then regarding a loss for the other, potentially due to absence. That is an example of being unfair.

If you want to go by "chances" by the pistons series they are something between a +4 and +6 team(that might underrate them).

+6 might underrate a +2.7 team? even the highest spike on the chart didn't reach 6 before falling back towards 4.

[/quote]
I said between 4 and 6. And it might underrate them because rolling-srs uses prior results. But hey, maybe you can point out to me what in Jordan's box-score explains the Bulls going from +2.7 in the regular season, to posting the same ratings as the 1991 bulls in the first two rounds of the playoffs and then losing a close series with a spurs-level playoff opponent.
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
ShaqAttac
Rookie
And1: 343

Post#190 » by ShaqAttac » Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:02 pm

WestGOAT wrote:
eminence wrote:
Moonbeam wrote:Not really --- I think the league context is important. It's easier for a 4 SRS team to win in a low-variance SRS league than a high one. Since the whole purpose is to compare across years, I think it makes sense to consider the Z scores here, in the same manner it's wise to consider various other player measures relative to league environment (e.g. TS%).

I agree conceptually, I'm having a hard time (literally) seeing it on the graph. Could you do an image with the trendline for the whole set and just the champions dots?

The rationale definitely makes sense, like in 2016 when you have OKC, Spurs and the GSW that were SRS juggernauts in absolute terms, but if you standardize (which should get you the z-scores) that will tell you how much of an outliers they were relatively speaking.

While it's nice to have improved predictive scores (AIC) using this method, it does seems marginal based on the on this graph. There does seem to be trend of data-points skewing to the lower right corner (confirming that Z-scores are better predictive), but it's not super prominent. A trend-line would def help in helping visualize this better.

whats aic?
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,889

Post#191 » by eminence » Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:36 pm

OhayoKD wrote:.

I've seen it reported the Hawks were up 9 when Russell went out in game 3, though have never seen any audio/visual to confirm, and currently can't find the newspaper article.

It roughly matches the score (Celtics were down 8 at the end of 3).
I bought a boat.
rk2023
Starter
And1: 2,160

Post#192 » by rk2023 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:57 pm

Any (unofficial) tally of votes?
Mogspan wrote:I think they see the super rare combo of high IQ with freakish athleticism and overrate the former a bit, kind of like a hot girl who is rather articulate being thought of as “super smart.” I don’t know kind of a weird analogy, but you catch my drift.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,330

Post#193 » by trex_8063 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:23 pm

I just skimmed through and (EDIT) I believe we have 26 total votes (I didn't chart names to each vote, but I believe all of them are on the updated voter pool).

I count the votes and nominations [which have different sums, as not everyone included a nomination] as follows:

Michael Jordan - 14 (+2 alternate votes that would transfer)
Bill Russell - 9 (+1 alternate vote that would transfer)
Wilt Chamberlain - 2
Tim Duncan -1

Though I may have miscounted by one, Jordan has a majority regardless.

Nominations:
Shaq - 8
Magic/Mikan - 4 each
Garnett - 3
Curry - 1
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,712

Post#194 » by Doctor MJ » Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:39 pm

Induction Vote:

Jordan - 13 (Ambrose, Dr P, trelos, rk, Clyde, ltj, iggy, trex, ljspeel, DQuinn, ceoofk, f4p, Moonbeam)
Russell - 9 (Doc, ShaqA, beast, Ohayo, AEnigma, eminence, hcl, Lou, HBK)
Wilt - 2 (ty, ZPage)
Duncan - 1 (OaD)

Narigo would have added to Jordan's tally but didn't edit with reasoning, regardless, Jordan wins with majority.

Nomination Vote:

Shaq - 8 (OaD, Dr P, trelos, rk, iggy, trex, ceoofk, ZPage)
Magic - 4 (Ambrose, Doc, Clyde, f4p)
Mikan - 3 (ShaqA, beast, Moonbeam)
Garnett - 2 (eminence, Lou)
Curry - 1 (ltj)

It appears by my difference with trex count that I may have missed a Mikan Nom, my apologies, but Shaq wins regardless.

Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,330

Post#195 » by trex_8063 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:08 pm

Probably we'll just have to agree to disagree on some of this, and I feel this point may have already been belaboured in posts I haven't read yet, but a few counterpoints.......

homecourtloss wrote:Critics say Jordan left, and the Bulls were still a 55-win team [SRS pegs them more like just 50 wins, fwiw] that went 7 games with the eventual EC champions in the semis.
Few things to bear in mind, however:
1) '93 was a down prime year [sort of like '11 was for Lebron] for Scottie Pippen; while in '94 he bounces back to probably his peak year (it's either that or '92, imo). The exact same thing can be said for Horace Grant.

Not sure this is in any way supportive of Jordan here. League wide TS dropped from 53.6% to 52.8% from 1993 to 1994 but Pippen’s jumped significantly from 51% to 54.4% while Grant’s remained stable. Both of their TOV% dropped slightly while their respective OBMs jumped tremendously with added offensive responsibilities. All of this was with 2000 minutes of Pete Myers being an awful offensive player yet both of Pippen and Grant did as well as they did in “bounce back years.”

Hmm.....this seems like you're trying to insinuate one of two things, either:
1) the blame for Pippen/Grant's clearly DOWN year [in '93] is Jordan's fault. And/or:
2) Jordan was holding them down (which is why they "bounce back" after he leaves).

We'll have to agree to disagree on one or both counts, whichever it is you intended. I believe their "down" year in '93 was a result of flagging motivation (hard to maintain that desire for excellence year over year; it's mentally/emotionally taxing), and also perhaps a bit of smug confidence (knowing by this point in time that they don't need to "prove" themselves during the rs). Fatigue/burnout from being part of the Dream Team over the summer is likely a factor for Pippen, as well.

Inasmuch as the "Jordan holding them down" implication.....
Well, obviously their offensive loads are going to go up in his absence. As to efficiency, this isn't the best year, for either of them.

Looking at Pippen's prime seasons in Chicago, ranked by rTS%:

'91: +2.7%
'92: +2.4%
'97: +1.8%
'94 (no Jordan): +1.64%
'95 (mostly without Jordan, and without Grant): +1.61%
'96: +0.9%
'98: +0.9%
'93: -2.6%

So '93 is just a complete outlier amid the rest of his prime in Chicago (not only does it rank 8th of 8 seasons, but the gap between it and 7th place is nearly TWICE as large as the gap between 7th and 1st).
I say again: it was a "down" year (which doesn't appear to have a lot to due with Jordan, given Pippen's three BEST in terms of shooting efficiency all happened while playing alongside him).

As far as turnover economy is concerned, TOV% is a near-useless stat, imo, as it only considers tov and TSA (according to TOV%, John Stockton has a horrendous turnover economy). Pippen [naturally] had to shift slightly to less playmaking and more scoring in the absense of Jordan (which has repercussions where TOV% is concerned).
My Modified TOV% factors in other responsibilities and production endeavours that may result in a turnover (most notably: playmaking for others [and general ball-handling repsonsibilities]).
Here are his best Chicago seasons by mTOV%:

'98: 7.27%
'97: 7.60%
'96: 7.85%
'92: 8.00%
'93: 8.39%
'91: 8.44%
'94 (without Jordan): 8.74%
'95 (mostly without Jordan, and without Grant): 9.81%

^^He mostly appears to just get better with age (with '93 again being a slight blip in the trend)......except, that is, for years where he's playing without Jordan and has to shoulder more offensive responsibility: those two years playing without [or mostly without] Jordan are the two worst seasons of his prime in Chicago in terms of turnover economy ('95 actually rates out as worst by a solid margin).

For Grant, here are his prime Chicago seasons ranked by rTS%.....

'92: +8.7%
'91: +5.1%
'94 (no Jordan): +1.2%
'93: -0.2%
(and fwiw, he bounces right back up in '95 playing with a talent-laden Orlando team)

'93 is a clear outlier ("down") year within this part of his prime. While '94 is solidly better than that down year, it's even "more solidly" behind '91, and laughably behind '92.

In terms of mTOV% (this is one of the underappreciated aspects of Horace Grant: how good he was at ball-control and playing within his limitations on offense).....

'92: 6.26%
'94 (no Jordan): 6.53%
'91: 6.63%
'93: 7.05%

Again, '93 just a bit of an outlier within his prime years in Chicago. '94 holds its own against other prime Chicago years, but is not the best of them.

'93 is just flatly an outlier down [within their primes as a whole] for both of them in terms of offensive efficiency. It's the clear worst by a country mile for Grant, and is either worst all-around or basically tied with '95 [a mostly sans-Jordan year] as worst all-around for Pippen.
But while '94 is better [than '93] for each of them, it is also very clearly NOT the most-efficient [nor even one of the most efficient] Chicago season for either of them.

homecourtloss wrote:2) A promising rookie named Toni Kukoc was added in '94.

He was definitely promising, but he was basically a neutral player in 1994 though he showed great promise in the playoffs. He was at least a tier and a half or more advanced in 1996, though, in which he top 10 impact player,.

But we're comparing specifically to the '93 team. Thus, you have to look at whose minutes he's principally replacing: it's mostly the last legs of Rodney McCray that he's replacing (plus some misc of last legs Trent Tucker, maybe scattered minutes of their various bigs). He's a clear upgrade from that.

homecourtloss wrote:3) They added Steve Kerr, who was a very nice bench piece.

Kerr definitely had a good year

And again: compared to the '93 team, it's the last legs of John Paxson and Darrell Walker that he replaces........a clear upgrade.

homecourtloss wrote:4) Bill Wennington (decent bench piece) was added.

His best year was probably 1994 though most of his minutes overlap with Pippen’s. Interesting that Scottie Pippen got the most out of him this year compared to any of his other years though that could be due to many things.

Yes it could; age being foremost among them, imo.
And again: he's a slight upgrade over the minutes he's replacing on the '93 team [washed up Cartwright and bloated and undermotivated Stacey King, primarily].

homecourtloss wrote:5) Pete Myers wasn't much, but he could at least play good defense, and he stuck to his role pretty well (he was added in '94).

No, Myers was by far their worst player who played significant minutes. Bulls Were 6.3 points per 100 possessions better with him off the court, by far the best they were with any off the players off the court. He was a terrible offensive player and not that good of a defender either

Fair enough, but in this way he's kind of the perfect slot-in to determine Jordan's value above REPLACEMENT level......because replacement level is basically what Myers was. So I suppose with can just ignore the Jordan/Myers swap, and focus on the OTHER moving pieces.

homecourtloss wrote:So it wasn't just "Jordan left and they still did this".
It was "Jordan left, but they added Kukoc and Kerr and Myers and Wennington; and BOTH Pippen and Grant had major bounce-back years......and THEN they did this" ("this" being that they dropped by only 2 wins, but by -3.32 SRS, and got ousted in the 2nd round [instead of winning title]).

Basically, it was, though.

No, I just don't agree (see above).
A Kukoc for aged out McCray/Tucker [last season for both] might not be a huge upgrade, but it is an upgrade.
Kerr for aged out Paxson and last legs Walker may not be an earth-shaker, but it IS an upgrade.
Wennington for washed up Cartwright and King may not be a big upgrade, but it IS an upgrade.

I don't know how many wins/SRS added those^^^ things account for; but it is a non-zero sum.

And otherwise, most of the compensation is on the "bounce-back" of Pippen and Grant. Which---as per above---their down year in '93 is not on Jordan. Indeed, BOTH of them had their most efficient offensive seasons [plural] while playing next to him, and '94 [plus '95 for Pippen] rate out among the bottom half in terms of all-around efficiency.

If we want to say Kerr/Kukoc/Wennington account of NOTHING [again: I'd disagree], and focus only on what impact the loss of Jordan had, it would be more accurate [imo] to at least compare '94 to a year where Pippen/Grant were playing at a similar level as '94 (because they clearly were NOT in '93).
'92 (the other year that could be argued as peak for each of them, imo) comes to mind.

The difference there is: -12 wins, and a whopping -7.2 SRS change.

homecourtloss wrote:And the other thing here is that the coach, Phil Jackson, got as much out of role players as any coach ever, perhaps, as he was able to replicate the same success with the Lakers with their role players. So if we’re going to give credit to that coaching for helping this team, stay successful 1994 then we also have to give credit to the coaching in the series that they won.

Well, I won't argue with you here. PJ is indeed a GOAT-level coach, and probably deserves some credit (I sort of wrote him out because he's present throughout this period in discussion).

And fwiw, that '94 series against Cleveland was a Cav team whose frontcourt was utterly decimated by injury: Nance, Daugherty, and HR Williams were ALL out for the series. The closest thing the Cavs had to defensive anchor were the Williams/Nance minutes.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
WestGOAT
Starter
And1: 3,350

Post#196 » by WestGOAT » Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:14 pm

ShaqAttac wrote:
WestGOAT wrote:
eminence wrote:

whats aic?

you can read more here:
https://www.statology.org/aic-in-r/#:~:text=The%20Akaike%20information%20criterion%20(AIC,fit%20of%20several%20regression%20models.&text=where%3A,of%202%2B1%20%3D%203.
spotted in Bologna
ShaqAttac
Rookie

Post#197 » by ShaqAttac » Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:40 pm

WestGOAT wrote:
ShaqAttac wrote:
WestGOAT wrote:

whats aic?

you can read more here:
https://www.statology.org/aic-in-r/#:~:text=The%20Akaike%20information%20criterion%20(AIC,fit%20of%20several%20regression%20models.&text=where%3A,of%202%2B1%20%3D%203.

Yeah ngl, i got lost pretty quick. What's loog likelihood? Also idk what this means:

"i s designed to find the model that explains the most variation in the data, while penalizing for models that use an excessive number of parameters."
ShaqAttac
Rookie

Post#198 » by ShaqAttac » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:04 pm

trex_8063 wrote:I don't know how many wins/SRS added those^^^ things account for; but it is a non-zero sum.

And otherwise, most of the compensation is on the "bounce-back" of Pippen and Grant. Which---as per above---their down year in '93 is not on Jordan. Indeed, BOTH of them had their most efficient offensive seasons [plural] while playing next to him, and '94 [plus '95 for Pippen] rate out among the bottom half in terms of all-around efficiency.

If we want to say Kerr/Kukoc/Wennington account of NOTHING [again: I'd disagree], and focus only on what impact the loss of Jordan had, it would be more accurate [imo] to at least compare '94 to a year where Pippen/Grant were playing at a similar level as '94 (because they clearly were NOT in '93).
'92 (the other year that could be argued as peak for each of them, imo) comes to mind.

its only -7 with injuries tho. from that thing kd and rf been postin, its actually just -5 when everyones playin
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,803

Post#199 » by homecourtloss » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:22 pm

ShaqAttac wrote:
trex_8063 wrote:I don't know how many wins/SRS added those^^^ things account for; but it is a non-zero sum.

its only -7 with injuries tho. from that thing kd and rf been postin, its actually just -5 when everyones playin

Yes, the difference isn’t so stark at full health, which seems to keep getting ignored. At full-strength, the Bulls were +4.7 with Pippen annd and grant (55-win pace) and were +3.5 in 95 pre-Jordan without grant , a 52-win pace).
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
Fundamentals21
Bench Warmer
And1: 641

Re: RealGM 2023 Top 100 Project - #3 (Michael Jordan) 

Post#200 » by Fundamentals21 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:31 pm

This vote looked super easy. There's no way to drop off one of the legit GOAT's of this sport.

Return to Player Comparisons