RealGM 2023 Top 100 Project - #67 (Elvin Hayes)

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,660

RealGM 2023 Top 100 Project - #67 (Elvin Hayes) 

Post#1 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:56 pm

No Nomination vote for next 2 threads.

Our system is now as follows:

1. We have a pool of Nominees you are to choose from for your Induction (main) vote to decide who next gets on the List. Choose your top vote, and if you'd like to, a second vote which will be used for runoff purposes if needed.

2. Nomination vote now works the same way.

3. You must include reasoning for each of your votes, though you may re-use your old words in a new post.

4. Post as much as they want, but when you do your official Vote make it really clear to me at the top of that post that that post is your Vote. And if you decide to change your vote before the votes are tallied, please edit that same Vote post.

5. Anyone may post thoughts, but please only make a Vote post if you're on the Voter list. If you'd like to be added to the project, please ask in the General Thread for the project. Note that you will not be added immediately to the project now. If you express an interest during the #2 thread, for example, the earliest you'll be added to the Voter list is for the #3.

5. I'll tally the votes when I wake up the morning after the Deadline (I don't care if you change things after the official Deadline, but once I tally, it's over). For this specific Vote, if people ask before the Deadline, I'll extend it.

Here's the list of the Voter Pool as it stands right now (and if I forgot anyone I approved, do let me know):

Spoiler:
AEnigma
Ambrose
ceilng raiser
ceoofkobefans
Clyde Frazier
Colbinii
cupcakesnake
Doctor MJ
Dooley
DQuinn1575
Dr Positivity
DraymondGold
Dutchball97
f4p
falcolombardi
Fundamentals21
Gibson22
HeartBreakKid
homecourtloss
iggymcfrack
LA Bird
JimmyFromNz
Joao Saraiva
lessthanjake
Lou Fan
Moonbeam
Narigo
OhayoKD
OldSchoolNoBull
penbeast0
Rishkar
rk2023
Samurai
ShaqAttac
Taj FTW
Tim Lehrbach
trelos6
trex_8063
ty 4191
WintaSoldier1
ZeppelinPage

Alright, the Nominees for you to choose among for the next slot on the list (in alphabetical order):

Vince Carter

Cliff Hagan

Elvin Hayes

Bobby Jones

Tracy McGrady

Wes Unseld

Ben Wallace

As requested, here's the current list so far along with the historical spreadsheet of previous projects:

Current List
Historical Spreadsheet
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,472

Re: RealGM 2023 Top 100 Project - #66 (Deadline ~5am PST, 1/28/24) 

Post#2 » by AEnigma » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:09 pm

VOTE: Elvin Hayes
Alternate: TBD

AEnigma wrote:As promised, Hayes immediately rises to the top of my list. 7th in regular season minutes, 11th in total career minutes. Best player on a 60-win Finals team, then arguably the best player on a title team (I think his case is pretty secure, but I understand the argument for Dandridge, and Dandridge was certainly better the following year).

Unseld made much better use of the team’s shooters and I am comfortable calling him the more important offensive player (in addition to being the team’s leader). I think Hayes’ scoring had value regardless, but in the context of that team, Unseld’s passing and screening would have been worth more.

I do not see the defensive responsibility as especially close though, and for bigs that matters a lot more to me. In aggregate Hayes was one of the most valuable defenders ever, and while his shooting efficiency has been increasingly maligned with time, he was not even the typical leader in shot rate for the Bullets (Phil Chenier). Yeah, he should have held back, but we are in the 60s now, and that should only damn you so much. Oh, and he was a playoff riser, because for as ugly as his shot profile could be, at least it was inelastic.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,787

Re: RealGM 2023 Top 100 Project - #67 (Deadline ~5am PST, 1/28/24) 

Post#3 » by penbeast0 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:32 pm

Vote: Bobby Jones. More than a decade of straight 1st team All-Defense votes combined with high efficiency, though not high volume scoring, and good playmaking. Not a great rebounder for his position but could play 2-5 at either end. Probably the greatest glue guy in NBA history and in his time where he was the best player on his team (75 and 76 for example), his team was the best in the league both years though they came up short in the playoffs. The most 1st team All-Defense awards, best player on two Nugget teams that had the best record in the NBA (though both came up short in the playoffs), great efficiency without being just an inside scorer, excellent passer, decent offensive rebounder, defensively good at blocking out rather than getting the board, good shot blocker for a forward, good steals, could play up to the 5 or down to the 2, limited minutes because of a physical condition but probably the greatest glue guy in the history of the NBA.

Stronger defensive impact than any of the nominated players, most efficient scorer along with Billups, one of the better playmakers for his position above everyone here except maybe Billups, he was the best player on the 75 Nuggets who had the best record in the league and made a big impact everywhere he went. The only real issue is his limited minutes and I think his impact is strong enough to overcome that.

Alt vote: Elvin Hayes Leaning either Unseld or Hayes as a Bullets fan who was a teenager during their best years. LA Bird has convinced me that Hayes's defensive impact was significantly stronger and though I like Unseld's offensive skills better, let's go with Hayes.

I just don't see either Vince or Tmac as that impactful to winning. Big stats guys and I loved VInce being one of the rare nerds to play in the NBA at his time but someone has to convince me they have great impact on top end winning like Jones has or LA Bird indicates that Hayes did. Tmac was such a strange duck, he was incredibly talented but his coaches have called him out for poor practice habits and he never seemed to mesh well with Yao. In Orlando when Grant Hill went down and in Houston whenever Yao would go down though, it seemed like he would slip into a nearby phone booth and play like Superman for a stretch. Really not sure what to make of him.

Nomination: Adrian Dantley Easily the greatest scorer left. Amazing combination of volume and efficiency.

One of only 5 players in NBA history to have a season over .400 TS Add, something neither LeBron James or Micheal Jordan ever accomplished! Of the top 11 guys in this stat, everyone else is in except for Alex Groza whose career was ended quickly over college point shaving scandals in the 50s. And it wasn't isolated, he was consistently among the league leaders in both scoring and efficiency for his whole career.

His history with coaches is mixed. Frank Layton in Utah ripped him publicly as a selfish player though he later tried to walk it back a few times. On the other hand, Chuck Daly praised his professionalism, work ethic, and even his defense. But basically he is a serious candidate as one of the greatest wing scorers to ever play and everyone close to him in volume and efficiency is in.

Code: Select all

TS ADD LEADERS (single season) -- thanks to Owly for posting this

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 460.4
Steph Curry 454.7
Charles Barkley 433.5
Wilt Chamberlain 430.3
Adrian Dantley 404.8

Kevin Durant 394.9
Oscar Robertson 392.5
Jerry West 374.3
George Mikan 365.5
Karl Malone 362.8

+ Alex Groza '50. 377.4
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,313

Post#4 » by trex_8063 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:41 pm

AEnigma wrote:VOTE: Elvin Hayes
Alternate: TBD

AEnigma wrote:As promised, Hayes immediately rises to the top of my list. 7th in regular season minutes, 11th in total career minutes. Best player on a 60-win Finals team, then arguably the best player on a title team (I think his case is pretty secure, but I understand the argument for Dandridge, and Dandridge was certainly better the following year).

Unseld made much better use of the team’s shooters and I am comfortable calling him the more important offensive player (in addition to being the team’s leader). I think Hayes’ scoring had value regardless, but in the context of that team, Unseld’s passing and screening would have been worth more.

I do not see the defensive responsibility as especially close though, and for bigs that matters a lot more to me. In aggregate Hayes was one of the most valuable defenders ever, and while his shooting efficiency has been increasingly maligned with time, he was not even the typical leader in shot rate for the Bullets (Phil Chenier). Yeah, he should have held back, but we are in the 60s now, and that should only damn you so much. Oh, and he was a playoff riser, because for as ugly as his shot profile could be, at least it was inelastic.

Well, at last you'll have someone join you in campaigning for Hayes.

You allude to in the minutes mention; I'll state it by noting he played 16 super-durable years, and MASSIVE mpg in most of them. And while on the court [for the 7th/11th most minutes ever] he was one of the more impactful defensive players of his generation, imo.
Combined with that was some small scoring accumen; not as much as he apparently thought of himself, obviously. Yet was he had was very playoff resilient (inelastic, as you say).

But anyway, he feels like the most relevant career of the candidates we have.

Alternate Vote: Tracy McGrady
The highest peak [save probably Bill Walton] left on the table, imo. And just enough longevity to make for a solid case here.

Tremendous offensive engine who could shoulder a massive load at need: scored a ton on respectable shooting efficiency, underrated playmaker who peaked at 6.5 apg, and an astonishingly good turnover economy.

His carry-job [a term I rarely use] in '03 is actually quite impressive when you look at that cast, and I think health [either his or Yao's] may have been the thing that stood in their way [to contending] in Houston.

For purposes of any runoff, I'm going with this order: Hayes > McGrady > Carter > Unseld (all very close, btw) > Wallace > Jones > Hagan.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#5 » by Samurai » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:57 pm

Vote for #67: Bobby Jones. Yes I have reservations about his lack of longevity and durability. But I'm pretty sure that I would take Jones and his reduced minutes over Draymond if I were drafting a team, so seeing Green get selected convinced me to consider him. Gotta admit that there is bias here since Jones is one of my favorite players of all time. Despite averaging less than 30 minutes/game during his NBA career, he still has ten All Defensive First Team awards and one Second Team selection (in his second to last season averaging only 20 minutes/game). He was nicknamed The Secretary of Defense for good reason. He didn't shoot much but he was highly efficient, leading the league in FG% three times and finishing in the top 20 in TS% nine times. But as good as he was at playing basketball, how he conducted himself may have been even more admirable. He was always a gentleman with honor; he didn't drink, smoke or use profanity, always raised his hand when called for a foul - even telling a ref who mistakenly called a foul on a teammate that he was the one who actually committed the foul, even though that was his fifth foul! When teammates tried to show him ways to "cheat" by grabbing an opponent's jersey or committing a foul when the ref wasn't looking, he adamantly refused to do so. He would reply "if I have to play defense by holding on, that's when I quit." Teammate Dr J described Jones as "a player who's totally selfless, who runs like a deer, jumps like a gazelle, plays with his head and heart each night, and then walks away from the court as if nothing happened." And former teammate Charles Barkley said "if everyone in the world was like Bobby Jones, the world wouldn't have any problems."

Alternate vote: Cliff Hagan. Solid all-around player - Finished in the top 20 8 times in points/game, 5 times in rebounds/game, 5 times in assists/game, 6 times in TS%, 9 times in both PER and WS/48. Won a ring in 58 and would/should have been Finals MVP if such an award existed then.
trelos6
Junior
And1: 151

Post#6 » by trelos6 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:13 am

Vote: Ben Wallace

One of the best defenders of all time, his value comes all from his defense, and it was that good, I think he was vaulted into weak MVP level for 2 seasons. He also had 14 seasons of all D level, so he has the longevity as well as the fantastic defensive peak.

Alt. Vote: T-Mac

Fantastic peak from 2000-2003. Not much longevity due to injuries, but I’m valuing peak a little higher than longevity for this project.

Nomination: Rasheed Wallace

Fantastic player for 8-9 years. He was a huge ceiling raiser on those Pistons teams.

Alt. Nom: Damian Lillard

He's still going, but I don't think he'll be racking up to many more All NBA level seasons now. Mostly all star seasons. That said, he's got a great offensive peak, especially around 2020 when he increased the range on his 3 ball.

Note: After Ben Wallace and McGrady, I have Vince Carter > Bobby Jones > Elvin Hayes > Wes Unseld > Cliff Hagan.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,814

Post#7 » by HeartBreakKid » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:52 am

My vote is for Cliff Hagan- Cliff Hagan has some real playoff heroics and is perhaps the biggest catalyst to the Hawks only title. He has a couple of years where he is the playoff hero. He never quite plays at that level for the rest of his career, but he is still good scorer for his era, just not eyepopping like 58 and to a lesser extent 59.

I'm going to favor someone who had a 05 Manu like run here.

My alternate vote is for Tracy McGrady – He was an all-nba player for a decent amount of time, and peaked as a top 5 guy. Awesome playmaker and great scorer - his playmaking makes up for not having supreme efficiency compared to some other scorers. Lack of a great playoff run hurts him against Cliff I think.

The others

Elvin Hayes - He's in my top 100, but I don't have a very strong opinion about him. Defensively, I might lean that Bobby Jones was the more impactful one while playing more within himself on offense.

Bobby Jones – Great hustle and powerful defender. Almost explained like a smaller Dave Cowens. It’d be better if there was more data to support how good his defense was, but I’m pretty high on him.

Vince Carter - Very well rounded high level volume scorer. Can't really think of enough holes he has that the other nominees can exploit to make grounds on him.

Ben Wallace & Wes Unseld - I like them a lot. Great defenders whos impact probably is not captured in their stats. I think there are some perimeter stars who just played at slightly higher levels.
LA Bird
Analyst
And1: 3,148

Post#8 » by LA Bird » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:27 pm

Vote 1: Elvin Hayes
Vote 2: Bobby Jones

Copy pasting some of my old posts because I am lazy...

LA Bird wrote:Both the Rockets and Bullets improved defensively when Hayes joined the team:

Rockets team DRtg
1968: +2.0 (before Hayes)
1969: -2.7
1970: -2.2
1971: -1.7
1972: -1.1
1973: +2.6 (after Hayes)

Bullets team DRtg
1972: -0.3 (before Hayes)
1973: -3.5
1974: -3.5
1975: -6.4
1976: -3.0
1977: -1.1
1978: -0.4
1979: -1.1

Individually, he averaged 2+ blocks and is a great rebounder even after pace adjustment (~16 TRB% for his career). He is the only PF ever with over 8 DWS in a season (74, 75) and was likely the best defensive player in the league in 1975 considering how dominant the Bullets' defense was that season.

LA Bird wrote:In 1971, Unseld had an All NBA, All Defensive power forward in Gus Johnson who even outrebounded him but the Bullets were still not an elite defense. The Bullet's defense was trending downward from Unseld's excellent rookie season to almost league average until Hayes' arrival restored them into a top defensive team:

Bullets rDRtg
1968: -0.2
1969: -3.8 <-- Unseld rookie year
1970: -2.1
1971: -1.5
1972: -0.3
1973: -3.5 <-- Hayes join team

Other than his rookie season, the Unseld Bullets were a worse defensive team than the Hayes Rockets every year even though Hayes had nobody near as good as Gus Johnson on his team. Unseld's case as one of the GOAT defensive players is extremely weak. He was not only not a shotblocker, he doesn't have the mobility to guard quick guys out on the perimeter like Cowens and he wasn't an all time man defender like Thurmond. I don't have Unseld in the same league as Hayes, Cowens or Thurmond on defense and honestly, Lanier for one fluke season was probably better defensively too than non-rookie Unseld.

Giving the alternate to Bobby Jones because this looks to be a 3 way race and I don't have Hagan this high. I feel like his argument is too heavily based on 17 playoffs games since outside of 58/59, Hagan is not really much of a playoffs riser. And at that sample size, I would pick 96/97 Penny Hardaway and 78/81 Marques Johnson for example as better players. If we are strictly looking at an era relative case, Hagan's numbers were indeed very impressive but I don't think they are that far ahead of the best playoff runs from Frank Ramsey and Bobby Wanzer during that era, especially considering the caliber of 2/3 teams he went up against.
penbeast0

Post#9 » by penbeast0 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:30 pm

LA Bird wrote:....

Thank Bird, I am going back and changing my vote from Unseld to (probably) Hayes.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#10 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:59 pm

LA Bird wrote:Giving the alternate to Bobby Jones because this looks to be a 3 way race and I don't have Hagan this high. I feel like his argument is too heavily based on 17 playoffs games since outside of 58/59, Hagan is not really much of a playoffs riser. And at that sample size, I would pick 96/97 Penny Hardaway and 78/81 Marques Johnson for example as better players. If we are strictly looking at an era relative case, Hagan's numbers were indeed very impressive but I don't think they are that far ahead of the best playoff runs from Frank Ramsey and Bobby Wanzer during that era, especially considering the caliber of 2/3 teams he went up against.

So, if we look at perimeter players from the era born between Wanzer & Ramsey, here are the guys with the most Top 5 TS Add season - noting that TS Add is exclusively an RS stat:

Arizin 5
Sharman 4
Hagan 3
Wanzer 2

And to be clear Ramsey is never in the Top 5.

I point this out to emphasize that within his own era, it's not like there were other perimeter guys having oodles of badass volume/efficiency seasons while Hagan was just a playoff flash in the pan. The reality is that it's really just Arizin & Sharman who have the edge there. And of course, Sharman really didn't show the ability to rise up and put up absolutely massive numbers in the playoffs like Hagan did.

This to say that it might not seem like Hagan has great prime duration, but relative to similar players from his own era, I don't really think this is something that allows anyone else to surge past him. I can see a case for Sharman on this front, but that's really it, and if we're simply asking who was better at basketball between Hagan & Sharman, I just think Hagan stands out quite a bit more.

When we go into other eras of course it gets trickier. Great longevity gets easier to come by, and it's understandable to favor more modern guys based on a sense of them playing in a tougher era.

Now you singled out Penny & Marques on the basis just of their short primes so I'll speak to them.

Penny is a guy I think very, very highly of and I welcome the conversation involving him. I probably would be inclined to take him over Hagan just best vs best. But while it might seem like a vote for Hagan is a vote not caring about longevity, as I've said, Hagan's longevity is considerably stronger than I first realized. The Hawks decided to focus their core elsewhere and that killed of Hagan's accolades, but Hagan was still largely able to do his thing for a while.

Here's a funny thing to consider, that isn't purely a pro-Hagan argument, but I think does give insight into the conversation:

Penny's last year as an all-star was at age 26, because of injuries.
Hagan's first year as an all-star was at age 26, because of the military.

So, Hagan's late starter absolutely should hurt him in this project...but the man had better longevity than Penny, with more all-star appearances, despite the issues that were in no way caused by himself.

What about Marques? Well, what do you do with a guy who self-destructs his way out of his best situation and the team doesn't really miss a beat without him? I think Marques was talented as all get out, but the issue with him isn't just that his prime was short, but that he literally became a problem before the age of 25. Fair to point out that he still made a couple more all-star seasons in his career after that, but it's hard for me to elevate a guy like ahead of guys who contenders could actually expect to build around.

Okay, just because I calculated this stat for everyone when I did this, here are the list of perimeter players with the most Top 5 TS Add seasons:

Reggie 12
Durant 10
Oscar 10
Curry 9
Harden 9
Dantley 8
West 8
LeBron 7
Jordan 6
Arizin 5
Stockton 5
Allen 4
Gervin 4
Sharman 4
Arnie Johnson 3
Cornbread 3
Mullin 3
Hagan 3
Nash 3

So, highest guys on that list not already voted in:

Dantley
Sharman
Arnie Johnson
Cornbread
Mullin
Hagan

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#11 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:17 pm

LA Bird wrote:Vote 1: Elvin Hayes
Vote 2: Bobby Jones

Copy pasting some of my old posts because I am lazy...

LA Bird wrote:Both the Rockets and Bullets improved defensively when Hayes joined the team:

Rockets team DRtg
1968: +2.0 (before Hayes)
1969: -2.7
1970: -2.2
1971: -1.7
1972: -1.1
1973: +2.6 (after Hayes)

Bullets team DRtg
1972: -0.3 (before Hayes)
1973: -3.5
1976: -3.0
1977: -1.1
1978: -0.4
1979: -1.1

Individually, he averaged 2+ blocks and is a great rebounder even after pace adjustment (~16 TRB% for his career). He is the only PF ever with over 8 DWS in a season (74, 75) and was likely the best defensive player in the league in 1975 considering how dominant the Bullets' defense was that season.

LA Bird wrote:In 1971, Unseld had an All NBA, All Defensive power forward in Gus Johnson who even outrebounded him but the Bullets were still not an elite defense. The Bullet's defense was trending downward from Unseld's excellent rookie season to almost league average until Hayes' arrival restored them into a top defensive team:

Bullets rDRtg
1968: -0.2
1969: -3.8 <-- Unseld rookie year
1970: -2.1
1971: -1.5
1972: -0.3
1973: -3.5 <-- Hayes join team

Other than his rookie season, the Unseld Bullets were a worse defensive team than the Hayes Rockets every year even though Hayes had nobody near as good as Gus Johnson on his team. Unseld's case as one of the GOAT defensive players is extremely weak. He was not only not a shotblocker, he doesn't have the mobility to guard quick guys out on the perimeter like Cowens and he wasn't an all time man defender like Thurmond. I don't have Unseld in the same league as Hayes, Cowens or Thurmond on defense and honestly, Lanier for one fluke season was probably better defensively too than non-rookie Unseld.

I appreciate you doing this analysis and I think it helps Hayes' case, but there's one thing in particular it makes me want to push back again:

When you talk about Hayes' Rockets being a better defensive team in a set of years than Unseld's Bullets, you're right, but:

1. It was very close and the Bullets were a good team in all of those years.

2. The Rockets basically just chose to get rid of Hayes because of his insistence of not buying into the offensive scheme they wanted to use, and the Rockets would soon enough have the best offense in the league built primarily around two guys already on the team when Hayes was there. Would have been great if Hayes could have accepted a proper offensive role and focused on defense for the Rockets...but that Hayes didn't exist.

This then to say, I think there is an argument to be made that Hayes was more valuable on the court than Unseld while they were teammates, but that was Hayes moving to a team with a strong identity built around Unseld which was collectively willing to let Hayes jack shots to create a mostly not-very-good offense. But you take that and the good defense, and it was enough for them to contend and squeak into a chip that one year.

Hayes deserves credit for being a major part of a successful team, but I think it's important not to think his attitude toward individual vs team offense wasn't causing damage simply because he played that way on a good defense-oriented team.

I tend to see Unseld as a guy who would have been able to fit in and be valuable in most contending contexts, while I see Hayes as a guy whose mismatch between the primacy he demanded and the primacy his play actually warranted would have cause crippling problems in basically any context where there was clearly a better offensive engine available, and frankly I think this was the case for most teams back then, and would be the case next to 100% of the time in future eras.

eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,872

Post#12 » by eminence » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:02 am

Doctor MJ wrote:[
So, highest guys on that list not already voted in:

Dantley
Sharman
Arnie Johnson
Cornbread
Mullin
Hagan

Not very relevant I imagine, but I'm not sure I'd classify Arnie Johnson as a perimeter guy. I've only seen ~2 fullish Royals games, but I'm not sure he ever shot a perimeter shot and generally reluctant to handle the ball (seemed clearly behind Coleman in the decision making order).
I bought a boat.
penbeast0

Post#13 » by penbeast0 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:38 am

Don't remember ever reading about Arnie Johnson. Apparently another one of the forgotten scorers of the 50s with Kenny Sears.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,872

Post#14 » by eminence » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:50 am

penbeast0 wrote:Don't remember ever reading about Arnie Johnson. Apparently another one of the forgotten scorers of the 50s with Kenny Sears.

Arnie wasn't really a scorer, just absurdly efficient at low volume. Peaked at 10 ppg (5th on the team), but 126 career TS+.

Similarities to Gobert on O, likely very valuable if you find the right role for him, but not somebody to build around or do his thing without help.
I bought a boat.
Rishkar
Junior
And1: 329

Post#15 » by Rishkar » Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:37 am

Induction Vote 1: Bobby Jones. Great defensive ability, positional versatility, and had an elite fit next to other stars.
Induction Vote 2: Ben Wallace. A top 5 defender of all time who has very little offensive value. Such a unique player, like a budget Bill Russell. Peaked only around a top 5 guy in the league (and that's being generous, likely closer to 10) but had pretty good longevity for someone so reliant on athleticism
OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager
And1: 3,801

Post#16 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:23 am

Induction Vote #1: Cliff Hagan

Induction Vote #2: Wes Unseld

As I've said before, I think Hagan has the highest era-relative peak on the current ballot, including a couple of playoff runs with some eye-popping box composites.

Thought about Hayes for #2, but still going with Unseld for now. Elite rebounder, efficient scorer(albeit on low volume), high-level defender, very good playmaker/passer, great leader. It's a tough field though.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#17 » by OhayoKD » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:37 pm

Spoiler:

[/quote]
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#18 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:15 pm

Personal vote:

Induction Vote 1: Cliff Hagan
Induction Vote 2: Bobby Jones

As I've said, I see Hagan as pretty clearly standing out from the others remaining from his time, and in comparison to players remaining from other eras, I don't see others who stand out the same way without having very limited prime.

For my second, well Bobby & Ben are the next guys on my list and I got back & forth. I'll side with Bobby here. I think he's just a remarkable player with sharp, sharp impact basically for his whole career. His MPG is a problem, but there really aren't that many guys who were that impactful per minute for as long as him.

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#19 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:19 pm

Tally:

Induction Vote 1:

Hayes - (AEnigma, trex, LA Bird, Ohayo)
Bobby - (beast, Samurai, Rishkar)
Ben - (trelos)
Hagan - (HBK, OSNB, Doc)

Trelos Vote 2 won't change the count with respect to Hayes, Bobby & Hagan so:

Hayes 4, Bobby 3, Hagan 3

Elvin Hayes is Inducted at #67.

Return to Player Comparisons