RealGM 2023 Top 100 Project - #69 (Tracy McGrady)

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager
And1: 3,803

Re: RealGM 2023 Top 100 Project - #69 (Deadline ~5am PST, 2/4/24) 

Post#41 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Sun Feb 4, 2024 7:10 am

Induction Vote #1: Wes Unseld

Induction Vote #2: Cliff Hagan

The evidence suggests Usseld was an efficient(low-volume) scorer, great rebounder, good defender, good playmaker, great leader, and what looks like perhaps the best combination of primacy and team success on the current ballot, as he was one of the most important part of four Finals teams and a champion, and has an MVP to his name.

Hagan's support has collapsed this round, and he has no path to victory, and my Unseld vote can potentially make a difference, so here it is.

Induction Vote #1: Rasheed Wallace

Induction Vote #2: Adrian Dantley

I am not a fan of so many active players getting pushed. I've always though Sheed was a really skilled, high BBall IQ player whose impact is generally underrated(and the RAPM bares that out) and he's got some traction here, so I'll go with him in probably futile hopes of stopping George from getting the nod.

As always, Dantley's TS Add is ridiculous and I don't know much longer we're going to keep ignoring it.
LA Bird
Analyst
And1: 3,148

Post#42 » by LA Bird » Sun Feb 4, 2024 2:54 pm

Vote: Bobby Jones
Nom: Paul George

No real rebuttal against my Unseld post so I guess he and Hagan are still last for me here.

Prioritizing the nomination vote in this writeup because nobody seems to be talking about Lillard's playoffs decline. Other than one incredible series in 2021 (more on that later), Lillard fell off in the postseason in almost every box and non-box stat. And it's not like he provides any defensive value to make up for the dropoff on offense. There is a mention of his strong RAPM numbers ITT but go to the playoffs page for +/- and it's a huge sea of red. From 2014 to 2020, Lillard averaged 54.8% TS in the playoffs, which is pretty mediocre in this era for someone whose primary value is his shooting. And of note, McCollum actually scored more points than Lillard in the postseason during what was arguably his peak 3 year RS stretch (2018-20). This is not a scenario like McGrady's where none of his teammates can score and his efficiency was taking a hit as a result.

* Lillard's 2021 series against Denver is a good counterexample but a single series does not define a player's career. And this was also against the same injured Nuggets team starting Facu and Austin Rivers that allowed a 36 year old Chris Paul a career high 26/10 on 74% TS the very next series. Until Lillard consistently proves to be a strong playoffs performer, I am treating that series as a one-off exception.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,712

Post#43 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Feb 4, 2024 4:36 pm

Personal vote:

Induction Vote 1: Bobby Jones
Induction Vote 2: Cliff Hagan

So, I've been distracted by other things and consider my votes - both Induction & Nomination in flux in upcoming threads.

The arguments against Hagan resonated with me and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with him. I am feeling more Bobby than Cliff or anyone else right now and so will side with him. I'd just love to have Bobby on pretty much any team you can think of.

Of the other candidates, I'm strongly considering Unseld & Carter, and may well place them above Hagan in subsequent threads.

McGrady, what can I say? A career where nothing was really accomplished is how I see him. I don't think there's anyone getting Nomination votes right now that I have below him.

Nomination Vote 1: Sam Jones
Nomination Vote 2: Rasheed Wallace

Giving Sam some love here as a guy who just did a lot of good in his career.

Second vote basically deciding between top candidates George & Sheed. Much in common, but I think Sheed's career amounted to more.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,712

Post#44 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Feb 4, 2024 4:50 pm

Tally:

Induction Vote 1:

McGrady - 4 (trex, AEnigma, trelos, HBK)
Unseld - 2 (Dr P, OSNB)
Bobby - 4 (Samurai, beast, LA Bird, Doc)
Carter - 1 (iggy)

No majority, going to Vote 2 between McGrady & Bobby.

McGrady - 1 (iggy)
Bobby - 0 (none)
neither - 2 (Dr P, OSNB)

Tracy McGrady 5, Bobby Jones 4

Tracy McGrady is Inducted at #69.

Nomination Vote 1:

Lillard - 2 (trex, Dr P)
George - 4 (AEnigma, Samurai, iggy, LA Bird)
Sheed - 3 (trelos, HBK, OSNB)
Dantley - 1 (beast)
Sam - 1 (Doc)

No majority, going to Vote 2 between George & Sheed:

George - 1 (trex)
Sheed - 1 (Doc)
neither - 2 (Dr P, beast)

Paul George 5, Rasheed Wallace 4

Paul George is added to Nominee list.

Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!

Return to Player Comparisons