Do the 24 Wolves have the best big man rotation in Nba history?

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,898

Re: Do the 24 Wolves have the best big man rotation in Nba history? 

Post#21 » by eminence » Mon May 20, 2024 11:18 am

Were they a better big rotation than Jokic/Gordon/nobody or did their 1-3 clearly outplay the Denver crew?
I bought a boat.
DorianRo
Pro Prospect
And1: 648

Post#22 » by DorianRo » Mon May 20, 2024 9:34 pm

Oh god no.. They would be tore apart by the late 80's Celts and 99 Spurs. They're good though
rk2023
Starter
And1: 2,169

Post#23 » by rk2023 » Mon May 20, 2024 9:52 pm

Definitely a Duncan - DRob year or the 1986 Celtics.
Mogspan wrote:I think they see the super rare combo of high IQ with freakish athleticism and overrate the former a bit, kind of like a hot girl who is rather articulate being thought of as “super smart.” I don’t know kind of a weird analogy, but you catch my drift.
dygaction
General Manager
And1: 4,860

Post#24 » by dygaction » Mon May 20, 2024 11:17 pm

They are at Giannis/Portis/Lopez and Gasol/Siakam/Ibaka level. Was not even as dominate as Gasol/Odom/Bynum.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,638

Post#25 » by Dr Positivity » Tue May 21, 2024 2:08 am

I'll take Duncan and DRob. Russell, Howell and Sanders probably deserve a mention if you value the 3rd guy. I also think the Bucks one has a good argument to be better considering they have a quality 6th themselves in Portis and a superstar+Lopez.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,175

Post#26 » by The-Power » Tue May 21, 2024 12:58 pm

The better question would be whether they have the best big man rotation in today's league? Is it better than the Celtics with Tatum, Porzingis and Horford? The Bucks with Giannis, Brook and Portis? The Lakers with AD, James and whoever you choose?

And then, of course, there is a more philosophical debate about how much to value superstars in such a scenario (notably Jokic and Embiid). For instance, I'd rather have Jokic and Gordon than the three Timberwolves even though the Nuggets lack a strong third player – simply because Jokic is far ahead of everyone else in this comparison.

The Timberwolves have one of the most balanced trios, that I'll agree with. But that's different from having ‘the best’ trio. And as others have mentioned already: once you go back in history to look at great big men duos or strong trios with one high-level superstar, the comparison just falls apart for me.
Heej
General Manager
And1: 9,036

Post#27 » by Heej » Tue May 21, 2024 2:21 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
GSP wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Robinson/Duncan did exist right? I didn't imagine them?

True but they didnt have a 3rd guy and Robinson wasnt in his prime or anything.

Of course they had a 3rd guy. Let's pick Will Perdue because I'm too lazy to go look right now. Robinson/Duncan/Perdue is better than that Wolves trio even if Perdue isn't as good as Naz. Those first couple years of Robinson with Duncan, he's better than both Towns and Gobert quite clearly. And obviously Duncan is.

Lol this reminds me of that joke about Kobe and Kwame Vrown combining for 85 points vs the Raptors in 06
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
rk2023
Starter
And1: 2,169

Post#28 » by rk2023 » Mon May 27, 2024 3:06 am

Is Luka a GOAT level offensive player for solving the best front court in NBA history?
Mogspan wrote:I think they see the super rare combo of high IQ with freakish athleticism and overrate the former a bit, kind of like a hot girl who is rather articulate being thought of as “super smart.” I don’t know kind of a weird analogy, but you catch my drift.
migya
General Manager
And1: 1,373

Post#29 » by migya » Mon May 27, 2024 3:10 am

rk2023 wrote:Is Luka a GOAT level offensive player for solving the best front court in NBA history?

Maybe Gobert ain't Admiral Robinson and KAT ain't Commander Duncan.
FuShengTHEGreat
Veteran
And1: 1,162

Post#30 » by FuShengTHEGreat » Mon May 27, 2024 3:19 am

rk2023 wrote:Is Luka a GOAT level offensive player for solving the best front court in NBA history?

Lol....they were never the best frontcourt in NBA history. Gobert can be taken advantage of defensively and he can't create much 1 on 1 offensively. KAT jacks up too many 3s.

They're not in consideration for best frontcourt ever. I put them at the level of the 99-00 Blazers....talented and deep, but flawed.
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,230

Post#31 » by bigboi » Mon May 27, 2024 3:53 am

This might be the worst thread in Realgm history, amongst any section. A lot of posters exposed themselves as not actually watching the games.
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,052

Post#32 » by OhayoKD » Mon May 27, 2024 4:11 am

FuShengTHEGreat wrote:

Lol....they were never the best frontcourt in NBA history. Gobert can be taken advantage of defensively and he can't create much 1 on 1 offensively. KAT jacks up too many 3s.

They're not in consideration for best frontcourt ever. I put them at the level of the 99-00 Blazers....talented and deep, but flawed.

They have much better personnel than the 99-00 Blazers though. Particularly on the perimiter
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
migya
General Manager
And1: 1,373

Post#33 » by migya » Mon May 27, 2024 6:43 am

OhayoKD wrote:
FuShengTHEGreat wrote:

They have much better personnel than the 99-00 Blazers though. Particularly on the perimiter

No they don't. Steve Smith, Pippen, Bondi Wells, Stoudemire, Greg Anthony. All effective in a number of ways. Minnesota has better outside shooters.
dygaction
General Manager
And1: 4,860

Post#34 » by dygaction » Mon May 27, 2024 7:43 am

Looking back maybe the have the most expensive big man rotation
Gobert/Towns/Reid = $41M+$36M+13M = $90M.
FuShengTHEGreat
Veteran
And1: 1,162

Post#35 » by FuShengTHEGreat » Mon May 27, 2024 4:09 pm

OhayoKD wrote:
FuShengTHEGreat wrote:

I was specifically referring to the frontcourts of both teams, not overall rosters.

The 99-00 Blazers had:

Wallace....very talented but temperamental.
Pippen.....very skilled point forward but getting on in years.
Sabonis.....Big body skilled passer with physical ailments.
Schrempf....At the end of his career...but versatile PF.
Grant....solid rugged but a bit undersized PF
O'Neal.....raw but very promising.

I'm not sure this current Twolves frontcourt are better than them overall.
giordunk
Analyst
And1: 502

Post#36 » by giordunk » Mon May 27, 2024 5:16 pm

Anyone saying absolutely not needs to give who their best big man rotation is.

Also the post says rotation, not starting big men. Watching the Wolves-Nuggets series I think there was something so genius about always having a starter quality big on the floor, at your most foul prone position. It lets a big still play aggressive on defense even with 5 fouls knowing that the team isn't royally screwed if they foul out.

The drop off between the 3rd big of the Spurs (Malik Rose? Will Perdue?) is just too high to call it a rotation.

I'd say Bill Walton off bench for the Celtics matches the bill. That was the same feeling I got when I watch tape of old Celtics games - seeing no big dropoff when Walton comes in the game is so satisfying.
i like peanuts
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#37 » by Dr Positivity » Mon May 27, 2024 8:32 pm

Lock this
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#38 » by Dr Positivity » Mon May 27, 2024 8:43 pm

giordunk wrote:Anyone saying absolutely not needs to give who their best big man rotation is.

Also the post says rotation, not starting big men. Watching the Wolves-Nuggets series I think there was something so genius about always having a starter quality big on the floor, at your most foul prone position. It lets a big still play aggressive on defense even with 5 fouls knowing that the team isn't royally screwed if they foul out.

The drop off between the 3rd big of the Spurs (Malik Rose? Will Perdue?) is just too high to call it a rotation.

I'd say Bill Walton off bench for the Celtics matches the bill. That was the same feeling I got when I watch tape of old Celtics games - seeing no big dropoff when Walton comes in the game is so satisfying.

Even if you make unnecessary caveat that you need to have a standout 3rd big, I'd take Giannis, Lopez and Portis over this frontcourt pretty handily.

Return to Player Comparisons