All-Time Fantasy Draft With FGA Limit - Meta Thread

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,667

Re: All-Time Fantasy Draft With FGA Limit - Participant List Thread 

Post#21 » by Statlanta » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:23 pm

I would like to vie for a spot on the GM list seems like a cool concept
Aaron Gordon, Devin Booker, Tyrese Halliburton, Trae Young, Anthony Edwards and Luka Doncic all made the Conference Finals.

Where’s Joel Embiid?
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,862

Post#22 » by MyUniBroDavis » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:31 pm

Sorry for the triple post

But could we use seperate years for the same player? I doubt we would, but I kinda have a team in mind that is kinda bs in terms of trying to regulate star power lol.
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Post#23 » by Quotatious » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:00 pm

MyUniBroDavis wrote:Just wondering, how do the drafts work? I literally have no idea how fantasy drafts work. Like, is there seeding and that stuff, and if so, how would that be picked?

I'll use a list randomizer (like random.org) twice - first, after we get all 16 GMs, to determine snake draft (I guess you know how that works :) ) order, and then again, to determine matchups - #1 person will face #8, #2 will face #7 etc., you know, like in the real NBA. I'll divide the 16 teams into two conferences (not sure what criterion I'll choose for dividing people into conferences, I'll figure that out later on), and the rest will go like normal NBA playoffs.

Theoretically, we could do power rankings after everybody drafts all players, and that would give us more serious seeding, but I don't think it's necessary, and speaking from experience, the more time we take for stuff like that, the more people's interest tends to wane...So I'll just randomize it.

MyUniBroDavis wrote:Oh, and also, would u take free throws into account? I mean, harden and curry are taking about the same amount. Of shots this years but harden takes more than 5 more free throws which means he definitely takes more shot attempts.

Nah, I don't plan on taking FTAs into account, it will just be sort of a bonus skill if you draft a guy who doesn't take a lot of FGAs, but takes a ton of FTAs, like for example Dwight Howard (now that you mentioned it, I guess people will focus on that a lot more).

MyUniBroDavis wrote:But could we use seperate years for the same player? I doubt we would, but I kinda have a team in mind that is kinda bs in terms of trying to regulate star power lol.

Oh, no, we're definitely not gonna use different versions of the same player, if that's what you mean. It always seemed kinda stupid to me, to be able to draft, for example, '88 Jordan, and allow another person to draft '91 Jordan, or something like that (not sure if I understood what you meant here, correctly, though).

I appreciate that you're so honest about your lack of free time. I really don't want to see people commit to this project and then leave it before it's over.

You can consider becoming a judge if you feel like you won't have enough time to take care of your own team, though. Judging should be much less time-consuming, and even if you miss a few matchups, it won't be a big deal.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Post#24 » by Dr Spaceman » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:15 pm

I'm down to GM
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,674

Post#25 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:22 pm

I'm in, been such a long time since I've done one of these.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#26 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:27 pm

Quotatious wrote:Mods - if you want to move this thread to the Fantasy Basketball board - please wait until we have a full list of participants. We can do the draft and matchups on the Fantasy Basketball board, but it's FAR easier to find people who can be interested, here, so let's just leave this thread here.

I don't follow all the other boards like I used but short of someone indicating otherwise, I think this is the place for the project rather than the Fantasy board.

In fact, the first project I ever ran was an all-time league on the PC board.

lilroddyb
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,296

Post#27 » by lilroddyb » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:30 pm

Would you be open for timeslots instead of snake draft? Or maybe combine both and have snake for the first two rounds and after that timeslots. We did alltime fantasy draft on the knicks forum with timeslots and it went really smooth.

Some explaining about the time slots
Spoiler:
The good thing about timeslots is that you always draft at the same time. Everyone chooses a time that would be good for them. I chose 7 pm and would always draft at that time. If the guy before me is late then I dont have to wait for him for hours and stay up all night to draft, I would just draft at 7pm. with this system one round gets finished everyday. Another good thing about this is that you don't have to constantly log on realgm during the day and see if it's your turn.

Here is an example how it could work. Lets say that there are 5 players drafting A,B,C,D and E

A chooses 1 pm
B 2pm
c 3pm
D 4pm
E 5pm

then we put the list in randomizer and the winner is C. for the first round we will use snakedraft so the first round goes like:

C, B, A, E and then D

all of the remaining rounds will be Timeslots starting with D. So the next round is D, E, A, B and then C
Square
Rookie
And1: 273

Post#28 » by Square » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:33 pm

I'm new to RealGM but I've done drafts like this before in other places (though the FGA thing is a nice twist). If you guys are willing I'd like to participate as a GM. If not, I'll be a spectator.
theonlyclutch
Veteran
And1: 3,563

Post#29 » by theonlyclutch » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:45 pm

Sounds great! Can I join or am I too late?
theonlyclutch's AT FGA-limited team - The Malevolent Eight

PG: 2008 Chauncey Billups/ 2013 Kyle Lowry
SG: 2005 Manu Ginobili/2012 James Harden
SF: 1982 Julius Erving
PF: 2013 Matt Bonner/ 2010 Amir Johnson
C: 1977 Kareem Abdul Jabaar
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,862

Post#30 » by MyUniBroDavis » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:45 pm

Quotatious wrote:
MyUniBroDavis wrote:Just wondering, how do the drafts work? I literally have no idea how fantasy drafts work. Like, is there seeding and that stuff, and if so, how would that be picked?

I'll use a list randomizer (like random.org) twice - first, after we get all 16 GMs, to determine snake draft (I guess you know how that works :) ) order, and then again, to determine matchups - #1 person will face #8, #2 will face #7 etc., you know, like in the real NBA. I'll divide the 16 teams into two conferences (not sure what criterion I'll choose for dividing people into conferences, I'll figure that out later on), and the rest will go like normal NBA playoffs.

Theoretically, we could do power rankings after everybody drafts all players, and that would give us more serious seeding, but I don't think it's necessary, and speaking from experience, the more time we take for stuff like that, the more people's interest tends to wane...So I'll just randomize it.

MyUniBroDavis wrote:Oh, and also, would u take free throws into account? I mean, harden and curry are taking about the same amount. Of shots this years but harden takes more than 5 more free throws which means he definitely takes more shot attempts.

Nah, I don't plan on taking FTAs into account, it will just be sort of a bonus skill if you draft a guy who doesn't take a lot of FGAs, but takes a ton of FTAs, like for example Dwight Howard (now that you mentioned it, I guess people will focus on that a lot more).

MyUniBroDavis wrote:But could we use seperate years for the same player? I doubt we would, but I kinda have a team in mind that is kinda bs in terms of trying to regulate star power lol.

Oh, no, we're definitely not gonna use different versions of the same player, if that's what you mean. It always seemed kinda stupid to me, to be able to draft, for example, '88 Jordan, and allow another person to draft '91 Jordan, or something like that (not sure if I understood what you meant here, correctly, though).

I appreciate that you're so honest about your lack of free time. I really don't want to see people commit to this project and then leave it before it's over.

You can consider becoming a judge if you feel like you won't have enough time to take care of your own team, though. Judging should be much less time-consuming, and even if you miss a few matchups, it won't be a big deal.

Yeah, I guess I'll judge, I'll miss the first few games though,

A part of me wants to just see the draft process so I can join next time, since I'd prolly sit awkardly in front of my computer screen thinking "well I'm screwed"

I'm just gonna post the team I was thinking of doing, the slash being alternatives

Spoiler:
Curry 20 shots /Nash 12 shots/Paul 14 shors
Korver 8 shots /redick 12 shots
kawhi 15 shots/pippen 16 shots
draymond 10 shots/garnett 20 shots or 14 shots
Dwight 10 shots/Mutumbo 8 shots/Wallace 6 shots

51-71 shots (obviously curry and Garnett won't be on the same team)

Tony allen 7 shots
Mutombo/Wallace
Rodman 4 shots

19 shots

Editing would make it probably just under 85 shots overall

Yes you can tell I don't know how to fantasy draft since this team probably isn't possible
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
lilroddyb
Assistant Coach

Post#31 » by lilroddyb » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:51 pm

looks like its too late for me but it will be fun to watch
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,637

Post#32 » by Clyde Frazier » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:25 pm

I'm in.
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by Quotatious » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:52 pm

Okay, we have 16 GMs already. Glad to see guys like Dr Spaceman, Doctor MJ, theonlyclutch and Clyde Frazier sign up at the end. I definitely trust them to stick to this project (don't let me down, guys :wink: )

lilroddyb wrote:looks like its too late for me but it will be fun to watch

Well...You just had bad luck. You clearly expressed interest in participating by writing this, but since you didn't say "I'm in" or something decisive like that, I counted Clyde Frazier as the 16th GM, even though you posted before him...Sorry man. Maybe you would like to participate as a judge?
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by Quotatious » Sun May 1, 2016 12:02 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
Quotatious wrote:Mods - if you want to move this thread to the Fantasy Basketball board - please wait until we have a full list of participants. We can do the draft and matchups on the Fantasy Basketball board, but it's FAR easier to find people who can be interested, here, so let's just leave this thread here.

I don't follow all the other boards like I used but short of someone indicating otherwise, I think this is the place for the project rather than the Fantasy board.

In fact, the first project I ever ran was an all-time league on the PC board.

Well, the last time we did an all-time fantasy draft, penbeast (I think it was him, but maybe it was another mod from the PC board, I'm not so sure anymore) suggested that it was a better fit for the Fantasy Basketball board. Since you are one of the mods of this board, and you approve, I think we'll leave it here, though. :)
wojoaderge
Veteran
And1: 1,525

Post#35 » by wojoaderge » Sun May 1, 2016 12:07 am

When we draft, we are supposed to draft just a player, or a player and a year?
"Coach, why don't you just relax? We're not good enough to beat the Lakers. We've had a great year, why don't you just relax and cool down?"
lilroddyb
Assistant Coach

Post#36 » by lilroddyb » Sun May 1, 2016 12:09 am

Quotatious wrote:Okay, we have 16 GMs already. Glad to see guys like Dr Spaceman, Doctor MJ, theonlyclutch and Clyde Frazier sign up at the end. I definitely trust them to stick to this project (don't let me down, guys :wink: )

lilroddyb wrote:looks like its too late for me but it will be fun to watch

Well...You just had bad luck. You clearly expressed interest in participating by writing this, but since you didn't say "I'm in" or something decisive like that, I counted Clyde Frazier as the 16th GM, even though you posted before him...Sorry man. Maybe you would like to participate as a judge?

Its probably for the best hehe. I will definitely watch this but I don't want to be judge.
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by Quotatious » Sun May 1, 2016 12:12 am

wojoaderge wrote:When we draft, we are supposed to draft just a player, or a player and a year?

A player and a year, I'll explain everything in draft thread that I'll start shortly.

Here's the order I got after putting the names in a randomizer:

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#38 » by Doctor MJ » Sun May 1, 2016 12:28 am

Quotatious wrote:
wojoaderge wrote:When we draft, we are supposed to draft just a player, or a player and a year?

A player and a year, I'll explain everything in draft thread that I'll start shortly.

Here's the order I got after putting the names in a randomizer:

Woohoo! Last time I did this (years ago), I was 16th. It was cool because I got to do back to back picks, but this will be a different experience.

Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

All-Time Fantasy Draft With FGA Limit - Draft Thread 

Post#39 » by Quotatious » Sun May 1, 2016 12:31 am

I thought lilroddyb's suggestion about the draft format made sense, but I just didn't want to complicate it, so that all of you guys can easily understand what system we'll be using.

You can draft any player you want, starting with the 1954-55 season. Today's rules (just in case someone wondered).

6-hour windows for one poster's selection. Obviously the quicker, the better, though (so try to make your selections as quickly as you can, guys).

When you make your selection, please quote the next person on the list, so that he'll have a notification.

2015-16 season players are allowed. We are drafting specific seasons of every player - example: 2013 Player X stands for his 2012-13 season.

I would just like to remind you guys that you shouldn't mention any players who haven't been selected yet. You can discuss here, but only about already selected players.

Players selected:

1. MisterHibachi - Shaquille O'Neal (2000)
2. Clyde Frazier - LeBron James (2013)
3. Doctor MJ - Larry Bird (1980)
4. Quotatious - Michael Jordan (1990)
5. Narigo - Wilt Chamberlain (1964)
6. Timmaytime - Stephen Curry (2016)
7. wojoaderge - Fred Brown (1980?)
8. Dr Spaceman - Magic Johnson (year to be specified)
9. AustinCarr61 - Tim Duncan (2003)
10. theonlyclutch - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (1980)
11. OrlandoTill - Hakeem Olajuwon (1993)
12. eminence - Kevin Garnett (year to be specified)
13. Square - Bill Russell (year to be specified)
14. E-Balla - Bill Walton (1977)
15. LA Bird - David Robinson (year to be specified)
16. LA BIrd - Dirk Nowitzki (year to be specified)
17. lilroddyb - Kawhi Leonard (year to be specified)
18. lilroddyb - Chris Paul (year to be specified)
19. E-Balla - Steve Nash (2005)
20. Square - Charles Barkley (year to be specified)
21. eminence - Kevin Durant (year to be specified)
22. OrlandoTill - John Stockton (1995)
23. AustinCarr61 - Draymond Green (2016)
24. Dr Spaceman - Anthony Davis (2015)
25. wojoaderge - Bob McAdoo (1978?)
26. Timmaytime - Scottie Pippen (1991)
27. Narigo - Oscar Robertson (year to be specified)
28. Quotatious - Karl Malone (1998)
29. theonlyclutch - Manu Ginobili (2005)
30. Doctor MJ - Jerry West (1968)
31. Clyde Frazier - Dwight Howard (2010)
32. MisterHibachi - Kobe Bryant (2008)
33. MisterHibachi - Jason Kidd (2010)
34. Clyde Frazier - Reggie Miller (1994)
35. Doctor MJ - Alonzo Mourning (1999)
36. Quotatious - Dikembe Mutombo (1994)
37. Narigo - Paul Pierce (2010)
38. theonlyclutch - Chauncey Billups (2008)
39. Timmaytime - Chris Bosh (2013)
40. wojoaderge - Sidney Moncrief (1981 or 1982? year to be specified)
41. Dr Spaceman - Rasheed Wallace (year to be specified)
42. AustinCarr61 - Dwyane Wade (2006)
43. OrlandoTill - Dennis Rodman (1992)
44. eminence - Terry Porter (year to be specified)
45. Square - Russell Westbrook (2016?)
46. E-Balla - Kevin McHale (1988)
47. lilroddyb - Tracy McGrady (year to be specified)
48. LA Bird - Penny Hardaway (year to be specified)
49. LA Bird - Andrei Kirilenko (year to be specified)
50. lilroddyb - Ben Wallace (year to be specified)
51. E-Balla - Ray Allen (2009)
52. Square - Shawn Marion (year to be specified)
53. eminence - Danny Green (year to be specified)
54. OrlandoTill - Kyle Korver (2015)
55. AustinCarr61 - Shane Battier (year to be specified)
56. Dr Spaceman - Klay Thompson (year to be specified)
57. wojoaderge - Bobby Jones (year to be specified)
58. Timmaytime - Charles Oakley (1993)
59. theonlyclutch - James Harden (2012)
60. Narigo - Horace Grant (1992)
61. Quotatious - Bruce Bowen (2003)
62. Doctor MJ - Joe Dumars (1997)
63. Clyde Frazier - Andre Iguodala (2015)
64. MisterHibachi - Pau Gasol (2009)
65. MisterHibachi - James Posey (2008)
66. Clyde Frazier - Mark Price (year to be specified)
67. Doctor MJ - Paul Millsap (2007)
68. Quotatious - Maurice Cheeks (1985)
69. Narigo - Paul George (2012)
70. theonlyclutch - Amir Johnson (2010)
71. Timmaytime - Artis Gilmore (1981)
72. wojoaderge - Arvydas Sabonis (2000)
73. Dr Spaceman - Mike Conley (year to be specified)
74. AustinCarr61 - Michael Cooper (1987)
75. OrlandoTill - Lamar Odom (2011)
76. eminence - Joakim Noah (2012?)
77. Square - Nate McMillan (year to be specified)
78. E-Balla - Doug Christie (2003)
79. lilroddyb - Robert Horry (year to be specified)
80. LA Bird - Walt Frazier (year to be specified)
81. LA Bird - Chuck Hayes (year to be specified)
82. lilroddyb - Rudy Gobert (2015)
83. E-Balla - Don Buse (1979)
84. Square - Brent Barry (year to be specified)
85. eminence - Marc Gasol (2013)
86. AustinCarr61 - Jimmy Butler (year to be specified)
87. OrlandoTill - John Salley (1990)
88. wojoaderge - Larry Smith (1991)
89. Dr Spaceman - Andrew Bogut (year to be specified)
90. Timmaytime - Eddie Jones (year to be specified)
91. theonlyclutch - Julius Erving (year to be specified)
92. Narigo - Craig Ehlo (year to be specified)
93. Quotatious - Rodney Rogers (2000)
94. Doctor MJ - Wes Unseld (1978)
95. Clyde Frazier - Boris Diaw (year to be specified)
96. MisterHibachi - Jared Dudley (2016)
97. MisterHibachi - Shaun Livingston (2016)
98. Clyde Frazier - Tyson Chandler (2011)
99. Doctor MJ - Steve Kerr (1992)
100. Quotatious - Jarrett Jack (2010)
101. Narigo - DeAndre Jordan (year to be specified)
102. theonlyclutch - Matt Bonner (year to be specified)
103. Timmaytime - Dan Majerle (1998)
104. wojoaderge - Adrian Dantley (1978)
105. Dr Spaceman - Thabo Sefolosha (2012)
106. AustinCarr61 - Detlef Schrempf (1997)
107. eminence - Trevor Ariza (year to be specified)
108. Square - Omer Asik (year to be specified)
109. E-Balla - Bo Outlaw (1996)
110. lilroddyb - Nick Collison (year to be specified)
111. LA Bird - Toni Kukoc (year to be specified)
112. LA Bird - Hersey Hawkins (year to be specified)
113. OrlandoTill - Jeff Hornacek (year to specified)
114. E-Balla - Luol Deng (2011)
115. Square - DeMarre Carroll (year to be specified)
116. eminence - Charlie Ward (year to be specified)
117. lilroddyb - George Hill (year to be specified)
118. OrlandoTill - Grant Hill (1997)
119. AustinCarr61 - Jason Collins (2003)
120. Dr Spaceman - Josh McRoberts (year to be specified)
121. wojoaderge - Brian Taylor (1975)
122. Timmaytime - Alvin Robertson (1985)
123. theonlyclutch - Kyle Lowry (2013)
124. Narigo - Ron Harper (1997)
125. Quotatious - Bill Laimbeer (1990)
126. Doctor MJ - Buck Williams (1991)
127. Clyde Frazier - Danilo Gallinari (2010)
128. MisterHibachi - Steven Adams (2016)
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#40 » by Doctor MJ » Sun May 1, 2016 12:38 am

Hey some questions to get clear:

-FGA distribution details?
-Minute limitations?
-Player duration specification? Single year peak? 5 year prime? Something else?
-What era rules? Present time?

Return to Player Comparisons