One_and_Done
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,854

Re: Rank as scorers : Jokic, LeBron, KD 

Post#21 » by One_and_Done » Fri May 17, 2024 10:27 pm

Lebron
KD
Jokic
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,328

Post#22 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Fri May 17, 2024 10:47 pm

70sFan wrote:
Amare_1_Knicks wrote:From this point on? I take jokic, pretty clearly too. I’d probably even extend it going back the past two years as well. Surprised that he’s been consistently third in this thread, and even more so that Lebron is viewed as the number one scorer among this trio.

Is it that surprising when James has clearly the best scoring numbers in the postseason across these 3?

On an all time scale, I agree with you. I took this as who’s the best scorer among the three right now. 2 out of the past 3 postseasons, Lebron’s scoring has underwhelmed in comparison to the upper echelon scorers in the league. But if we’re talking about two different things, all time vs currently, then there’s really no need to expound.
lessthanjake
Sixth Man
And1: 1,683

Post#23 » by lessthanjake » Fri May 17, 2024 11:01 pm

FWIW, Jokic actually has the highest career points per 100 possessions in the playoffs of any of these three, and he also has the highest playoff TS% of any of these three. And the gaps are even larger if we look at multi-year peak timeframes, instead of full career. Granted, offense is more efficient recently, so it’s an advantageous comparison for Jokic, but just wanted to point out that when it comes to the playoffs he’s not exactly less of a volume scorer than the other two, though he generally has been in the regular season. Jokic scores a lot in the playoffs!

In terms of how I’d rank them as scorers, I think it’s hard to really parse. It’s kind of just a bunch of different ways to skin a cat.
OhayoKD wrote:Lebron contributes more to all the phases of play than Messi does. And he is of course a defensive anchor unlike messi.
1993Playoffs
Analyst
And1: 3,767

Post#24 » by 1993Playoffs » Fri May 17, 2024 11:06 pm

Amare_1_Knicks wrote:
70sFan wrote:
Amare_1_Knicks wrote:From this point on? I take jokic, pretty clearly too. I’d probably even extend it going back the past two years as well. Surprised that he’s been consistently third in this thread, and even more so that Lebron is viewed as the number one scorer among this trio.

Is it that surprising when James has clearly the best scoring numbers in the postseason across these 3?

On an all time scale, I agree with you. I took this as who’s the best scorer among the three right now. 2 out of the past 3 postseasons, Lebron’s scoring has underwhelmed in comparison to the upper echelon scorers in the league. But if we’re talking about two different things, all time vs currently, then there’s really no need to expound.

My bad for not clarifying. I meant in their prime
capfan33
Senior
And1: 594

Post#25 » by capfan33 » Sat May 18, 2024 12:17 am

Lebron
Jokic
KD

Jokic vs KD is closer than I thought prior to this postseason, but I think I would still give the edge to Jokic.
rk2023
Starter
And1: 2,196

Post#26 » by rk2023 » Sat May 18, 2024 6:48 pm

I agree with LukaTheGoat and 70sfan here, nothing too much to add here that hasn’t been covered already. For Durant vs LeBron scoring in a well past post of mine:

To look into their most efficient (using ElGee's Playoff Adjustments for relative true-shooting as a gauge) PS scoring runs:

Durant
2017: 14.2%
2012: 11.6%
2019: 10.7%
2018: 5.5%
2021: 5.3%
2013: 4.5%
2011: 4.3%
2014: 4.3%
2016: 1.9%
(not going to use 2010, as that was his very first PS run and before his general prime).

Let's compare this to LeBron's top 9 runs.

James:
2014: 14.5%
2017: 10.7%
2009: 9.5%
2020: 9.2%
2018: 7.6%
2013: 7.3%
2012: 6.5%
2016: 5.7%
2011: 4.2%
Mogspan wrote:I think they see the super rare combo of high IQ with freakish athleticism and overrate the former a bit, kind of like a hot girl who is rather articulate being thought of as “super smart.” I don’t know kind of a weird analogy, but you catch my drift.
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,320

Post#27 » by bigboi » Mon May 20, 2024 2:38 am

Let’s address this nonsense
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
bigboi
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by bigboi » Mon May 20, 2024 2:42 am

Heej wrote:
bigboi wrote:
TheGOATRises007 wrote:
We'll just laugh at you instead for stating that KD is leagues ahead as a scorer despite evidence to the contrary if we eliminate his GS seasons.

You can laugh at me all you want but this is the definition of a Realgm type of opinion. If you were to say Jokic is a better scorer than kd on any other basketball forum or in real life, people would look at you crazy and rightfully so

Not gonna lie mate. Its been a while since I saw GS KD but Jokic seems harder to stop 1v1 than KD was at times. I just don't think he has the stamina to keep that up for a whole game because his style of banging down low is more labor intensive than KDs multifaceted approach.

Again, Jokic benefits from playing in extremely small ball era. He struggles against big men that are similar base
tlee324 wrote:

coastalmarker99
Starter
And1: 2,178

Post#29 » by coastalmarker99 » Mon May 20, 2024 2:48 am

most bigs in this era are not that great at post defence.

Credit to Jokic for his skill.

But I couldn’t imagine what Shaq and Wilt would do with the spacing and lack of size to contend with them in this era
Reggie Jackson is amazing and a killer in the clutch that's all.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,529

Post#30 » by therealbig3 » Mon May 20, 2024 2:49 am

bigboi wrote:Let’s address this nonsense

I mean, this series exposed some flaws for Jokic, but it wasn’t so bad that it means KD is better lmao. KD has fallen flat on his face worse than this, multiple times too.
therealbig3
RealGM

Post#31 » by therealbig3 » Mon May 20, 2024 2:49 am

coastalmarker99 wrote:most bigs in this era are not that great at post defence.

But I couldn’t imagine what Shaq and Wilt would do with the spacing and lack of size in this era

They’d get torched defensively though.
bigboi
Lead Assistant

Post#32 » by bigboi » Mon May 20, 2024 2:57 am

therealbig3 wrote:

I mean, this series exposed some flaws for Jokic, but it wasn’t so bad that it means KD is better lmao. KD has fallen flat on his face worse than this, multiple times too.

Again Jokic benefits from being in a small ball era. You put centers that are actually his size, his stats are no where near as good. Kd is flat out a better scorer. He can score in every way possible
tlee324 wrote:

bigboi
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by bigboi » Mon May 20, 2024 2:58 am

therealbig3 wrote:

But I couldn’t imagine what Shaq and Wilt would do with the spacing and lack of size in this era

But they wouldn’t. Shaq is a flat out better defender than Jokic
tlee324 wrote:

Peregrine01
Head Coach
And1: 7,011

Post#34 » by Peregrine01 » Mon May 20, 2024 3:05 am

You can’t possibly look at this series and think that post offense has gotten easier because pHySIcALity!

If anything, the post defense schemes of today seem a lot more advanced than that of Shaq’s days.
bigboi
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by bigboi » Mon May 20, 2024 3:13 am

Peregrine01 wrote:You can’t possibly look at this series and think that post offense has gotten easier because pHySIcALity!

If anything, the post defense schemes of today seem a lot more advanced than that of Shaq’s days.

Lmao. Why in tf would naz Reid, kat or gobert be able to do against Shaq? Yall need to stop it. Shaq would’ve cooked this wolves team. Faster, stronger, and more athletic than all of them by a wide margin
tlee324 wrote:

OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,290

Post#36 » by OhayoKD » Mon May 20, 2024 10:33 am

I'll take Jokic's scoring vs Minesotta over KD considering defensive attention
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,290

Post#37 » by OhayoKD » Mon May 20, 2024 10:36 am

bigboi wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:

Shaq's rs peak saw him getting cooked in 3 out of 4 series opposing bigs and saw Lakers fall from one of the best rs teams ever to one of the weakest champions ever because of thier rim defense and overall defense plummeting.

Shaq gets torched by the wolves
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
therealbig3
RealGM

Post#38 » by therealbig3 » Mon May 20, 2024 11:17 am

bigboi wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:

Again Jokic benefits from being in a small ball era. You put centers that are actually his size, his stats are no where near as good. Kd is flat out a better scorer. He can score in every way possible

I don’t understand, are Gobert and KAT small or something? Reid gives up size, but he’s also strong, fast, athletic, and smart. This was straight up old school lineups with 2 bigs that Jokic went up against.

Also, KD benefits a lot from being a small ball 4, he gets more of an advantage than Jokic does from the small ball era.

And I remember Shaq getting defended a lot by smaller guys with lower centers of gravity, like Malik Rose. Gobert, KAT, Reid are no smaller than what he went up against.
therealbig3
RealGM

Post#39 » by therealbig3 » Mon May 20, 2024 11:28 am

bigboi wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:

Possibly, don’t think his IQ is as good as Jokic, don’t think his hands are as good, and I think Jokic gives more consistent effort. Shaq is definitely more gifted physically though and would be a better rim deterrent. Think he would get punished with the PnR and outside shooting that’s out there today though, and his conditioning for the most part would be an issue. I think Jokic handles switches better than Shaq.

Offensively, I’ve seen Shaq get slowed down by similar defensive lineups, we can stop pretending like he was dropping 40/20 every game no matter what. And he’s absolutely a liability from the line. Also needs to be set up by reliable guards, he can’t create something out of nothing like Jokic can from anywhere. His passing also isn’t anywhere close to Jokic.

Idk, I’m still taking peak Jokic over Shaq, even though Jokic overall had a tough series and in my mind gets knocked down a peg from the true GOAT peak discussions (LeBron and Jordan for me basically).
capfan33
Senior
And1: 594

Post#40 » by capfan33 » Mon May 20, 2024 3:10 pm

bigboi wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:

Except when it actually matters.

Return to Player Comparisons