Toronto Versus Philly

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

JN
RealGM
And1: 9,954

Re: Toronto Versus Philly 

Post#21 » by JN » Tue Sep 1, 2009 10:27 pm

Dedicated_76ers_fan wrote: Actually, the whole point to the offense is getting the open shot. And Young hit the 3 ball well last year, I expect him to improve. Iggy's a guy who got alot better as the year went along on the long ball.

If we get 3 guys shooting at 35% or better, we'll be fine.

Wow, those people from Princeton sure are smart. A system to get open shots!
eslr
Assistant Coach
And1: 25

Post#22 » by eslr » Tue Sep 1, 2009 10:29 pm

Dedicated_76ers_fan wrote:Actually, the whole point to the offense is getting the open shot.

Yeah, well that's the point of every offense. Defending the Princeton with a zone is quite easy when you don't have any shooters to kick it out to. In general its accepted that the Princeton requires more shooters than your typical offense.
vado
Analyst
And1: 2,172

Post#23 » by vado » Tue Sep 1, 2009 10:55 pm

Raps in 3
LoboGuerrero
Pro Prospect
And1: 54

Post#24 » by LoboGuerrero » Tue Sep 1, 2009 11:06 pm

vado wrote:Raps in 3

Fixed.
T-Spot
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#25 » by T-Spot » Tue Sep 1, 2009 11:42 pm

Regardless of the de-emphasis of point-guard play in Philly's new system the drop off from Andre Miller to Lou Williams is massive.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,598

Post#26 » by sixerswillrule » Wed Sep 2, 2009 12:11 am

I think we need to wait for the season to start before comparing these teams. There are a lot of different factors that we can't predict.
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 586

Post#27 » by timdunkit » Wed Sep 2, 2009 12:21 am

sixerswillrule wrote:I think we need to wait for the season to start before comparing these teams. There are a lot of different factors that we can't predict.
tranjSAIC
Banned User
And1: 527

Post#28 » by tranjSAIC » Wed Sep 2, 2009 2:34 am

Dedicated_76ers_fan wrote:How difficult could that possibly be? I mean Eddie Jordan made Gilbert Arenas into an all-star PG when he was a 2nd round project.

Lou Williams has 4 years of NBA experience.

Also, I like Jrue Holiday. He's a very talented player.

Can we say HOMERIFIC! I got to agree 76ers will have the worst pg rotation next year, however Jrue looks to be legit down the road, he just looks to raw to do much this year. I do think the match up will be a lot closer then all the Raptor fans seem to think. 76ers atleast play some defense, while their offense isn't that great they will get at you on the defensive end and force some turnovers. I will say it's gonna go 7 games and depending on who has home court I'll take that team.
Relentless88
RealGM
And1: 101

Post#29 » by Relentless88 » Wed Sep 2, 2009 3:05 am

Raptors in 6.
Flashy_Lights
Rookie
And1: 389

Post#30 » by Flashy_Lights » Wed Sep 2, 2009 3:25 am

timdunkit wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:I think we need to wait for the season to start before comparing these teams. There are a lot of different factors that we can't predict.

**EDIT**Who am I Kidding!! Raps in 4 :lol:
Props to ®ated
That Nicka
Banned User
And1: 34

Post#31 » by That Nicka » Wed Sep 2, 2009 3:44 am

Raptors are better at every position except SG
LebronsCavs
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#32 » by LebronsCavs » Wed Sep 2, 2009 3:58 am

Sixers in 6.
LebronsCavs
Banned User

Post#33 » by LebronsCavs » Wed Sep 2, 2009 3:59 am

That Nicka wrote:Raptors are better at every position except SG

Sixers were clearly better last year though. Adding Turk and subtracting Andre doesn't completely change things.
koolguy
Sixth Man
And1: 151

Post#34 » by koolguy » Wed Sep 2, 2009 4:11 am

Yes it does, Toronto had calderon playing while ailing with injury for most of the season. Toronto had no bench last year. And Toronto got rid of Kapono and Will Solomon who has lost us many many games.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,454

Post#35 » by KF10 » Wed Sep 2, 2009 4:28 am

I know the Princeton Offense pretty much inside and out and I would like to say it would be very interesting how Jordan will utilize that system with the 76ers. Until then, I can't really fully assess the 76ers in general. It can be a disaster for the 76ers or a fantastic fit. I think it's going to be in between. The 76ers just don't have many players that can be utilized fully in the Princeton.
theDEATH
Senior
And1: 5

Post#36 » by theDEATH » Wed Sep 2, 2009 5:06 am

kingsfan10 wrote:I know the Princeton Offense pretty much inside and out and I would like to say it would be very interesting how Jordan will utilize that system with the 76ers. Until then, I can't really fully assess the 76ers in general. It can be a disaster for the 76ers or a fantastic fit. I think it's going to be in between. The 76ers just don't have many players that can be utilized fully in the Princeton.

It can be good, bad or average is what you're saying? That's insightful :P

But yeah, I don't think this comparison can be made until the season begins and we see how much both teams have actually improved. We have yet to see how either team will perform when completely healthy and with some stable coaching.

The Raptors have made several off-season acquisitions which may or may not change the dynamics of the team and the mentality they have going into the games. The 76ers OTOH, have gotten rid of Miller and adopted a new system, we just have to take the wait-and-see approach for both of these teams.

Last season, there were some pretty high expectations set for both teams and I'm pretty sure neither of the teams followed through with em'.
cbosh4mvp
Suspended
And1: 805

Post#37 » by cbosh4mvp » Wed Sep 2, 2009 6:30 am

LebronsCavs wrote:
That Nicka wrote:Raptors are better at every position except SG

Sixers were clearly better last year though. Adding Turk and subtracting Andre doesn't completely change things.

I guess the fact that we added- Jack, Belenelli, Wright, Evans, Rasho, Johnson and Derozan don't count? Also the fact that we now have a healthy Calderon a fresh Bosh as he didn't have the Olympics this year. Lets not forget about the rising star in Bargnani. Oh and yea Turk isn't that small of an addition LOL. The Sixers arguably lost their second best player last year.
Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Projection- 57-25
Credits to TurboZone--- TurboZone.Com
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#38 » by 5DOM » Wed Sep 2, 2009 6:35 am

Jake Voskuhl was our first big man off the bench, and Joey Graham was our best perimeter defender last year. Enough said.
Netto
Ballboy

Post#39 » by Netto » Wed Sep 2, 2009 11:17 am

Raptors at 5. They are better now than ever with the addition of H.Turkoglu, J. Jack. M. Belinelli, Nesterovic, and Derozan. 76ers lost a vital player so they will be having a hard time working out their plays.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,627

Post#40 » by youngcrev » Wed Sep 2, 2009 3:21 pm

Sixers in 5.

Toronto has a whole lot of offensive talent right now, but IMO they are a poorly built team around Bosh. Bosh's strengths are as an offensive player, and with this lineup he's forced to try and be a defensive anchor and top rebounder in addition to be being the teams number one option. This team will be poor defensively and on the boards, and is a jumpshooting team offensively that doesn't really have anyone that penetrates well or scores from the post.

The Sixers on the other hand should be one of the better defensive and rebounding teams in the league. Offensively they are a huge question mark since they still lack shooters and will be trying to implement a new system, but I think in this series they'd control the paint which usually leads to a victory.

Return to Player Comparisons