2023-24 RealGM All-Season Awards Discussion Thread

Moderators: trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0

Special_Puppy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,353

Re: 2023-24 RealGM All-Season Awards Discussion Thread 

Post#341 » by Special_Puppy » Fri May 24, 2024 11:04 pm

parsnips33 wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:I honestly do think that when it comes to Jokic and peak Curry, the praise got carried away when things were going well, but some people had their doubts. They were dismissed as haters. But then some of these doubts did end up playing out and these guys had some notable struggles in the playoffs due to these very flaws. But then the responses were about how people were too negative and hating too much, and look at the team success they can’t be doing anything wrong.

Once people get a certain emotional attachment to players that they want to see succeed in every situation, any criticism pretty much seems like hate, and the responses get defensive. It happens.

LeBron fans do the same thing tbh. Same with Jordan and Kobe fans. Really anyone with a bias for their guy. But I kind of see it especially with Steph and Jokic. Maybe because they weren’t supposed to be great, they ended up being great in a very aesthetically pleasing way, and people wanted to believe they’re actually the GOAT, and then will kind of defend that notion even when all the evidence is to the contrary. Probably how people felt about Bird and Magic. Still all time players though, obviously, just like Bird and Magic were.

No coincidence that both of these guys beat LeBron, who has the most vocal and defensive fanbase on this forum by just a massive order of magnitude, multiple times in the playoffs. Put huge targets on both of their backs.

There was also like a half a dozen Jokic fans on this board (that I disagreed with at the time) who were saying he was on a GOAT trajectory (I don't agree with that) and people were ready to pounce on those fans once Jokic had some team failing in the playoffs regardless of the details.
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,793

Post#342 » by parsnips33 » Fri May 24, 2024 11:11 pm

Special_Puppy wrote:
parsnips33 wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:I honestly do think that when it comes to Jokic and peak Curry, the praise got carried away when things were going well, but some people had their doubts. They were dismissed as haters. But then some of these doubts did end up playing out and these guys had some notable struggles in the playoffs due to these very flaws. But then the responses were about how people were too negative and hating too much, and look at the team success they can’t be doing anything wrong.

Once people get a certain emotional attachment to players that they want to see succeed in every situation, any criticism pretty much seems like hate, and the responses get defensive. It happens.

LeBron fans do the same thing tbh. Same with Jordan and Kobe fans. Really anyone with a bias for their guy. But I kind of see it especially with Steph and Jokic. Maybe because they weren’t supposed to be great, they ended up being great in a very aesthetically pleasing way, and people wanted to believe they’re actually the GOAT, and then will kind of defend that notion even when all the evidence is to the contrary. Probably how people felt about Bird and Magic. Still all time players though, obviously, just like Bird and Magic were.

No coincidence that both of these guys beat LeBron, who has the most vocal and defensive fanbase on this forum by just a massive order of magnitude, multiple times in the playoffs. Put huge targets on both of their backs.

There was also like a half a dozen Jokic fans on this board (that I disagreed with at the time) who were saying he was on a GOAT trajectory (I don't agree with that) and people were ready to pounce on those fans once Jokic had some team failing in the playoffs regardless of the details.

I definitely think that's part of it. Jokic and Steph were both so completely novel (or novel seeming, there's been a lot of interesting discussion about the historic legacy of the Jokic archetype) that it's hard for anybody to know what they are looking at when they burst on the scene like supernovas. Bron fans were probably predisposed to doubt them for obvious and previously mentioned reasons, which brings us to where we are.

Now this is all very generalized, and I really do believe that the quality posters of this forum on both sides are more interested in the strength of arguments than pushing forward agendas, but there is contextual stuff that shapes all of this as objective as we would all like to be
AEnigma
Analyst
And1: 5,035

Post#343 » by AEnigma » Fri May 24, 2024 11:32 pm

People were free to, and freely did, criticise Steph, and none of Duncan, Garnett, Dirk, Kawhi, or Chris Paul saw real backlash from committing the apparent sin of “beating Lebron.”

Here is the difference: only one of the players in this discussion was popularly catapulted to the highest historical tier while doing less than any other such enshrined player, and only one of the players in this discussion has a similarly popular contingent clutching pearls about what it might mean to criticise him when he lost.
Special_Puppy
Sixth Man

Post#344 » by Special_Puppy » Fri May 24, 2024 11:35 pm

parsnips33 wrote:
Special_Puppy wrote:
parsnips33 wrote:

I definitely think that's part of it. Jokic and Steph were both so completely novel (or novel seeming, there's been a lot of interesting discussion about the historic legacy of the Jokic archetype) that it's hard for anybody to know what they are looking at when they burst on the scene like supernovas. Bron fans were probably predisposed to doubt them for obvious and previously mentioned reasons, which brings us to where we are.

Now this is all very generalized, and I really do believe that the quality posters of this forum on both sides are more interested in the strength of arguments than pushing forward agendas, but there is contextual stuff that shapes all of this as objective as we would all like to be

I would also say that there's not very good evidence either way for Jokic being a playoff riser or faller (because there's not very good evidence for anything in the post-season outside of the box score). This leads to discussions around Jokic to be fairly frustrating for both sides. Because there's not much evidence for anything outside of the box score in the post-season, people can interpret series results in a wide variety of ways to comport with their preconceived views.
Special_Puppy
Sixth Man

Post#345 » by Special_Puppy » Fri May 24, 2024 11:38 pm

AEnigma wrote:People were free to, and freely did, criticise Steph, and none of Duncan, Garnett, Dirk, Kawhi, or Chris Paul saw real backlash from committing the apparent sin of “beating Lebron.”

Here is the difference: only one of the players in this discussion was popularly catapulted to the highest historical tier while doing less than any other such enshrined player, and only one of the players in this discussion has a similarly popular contingent clutching pearls about what it might mean to criticise him when he lost.

I think you are *really* overestimating how many people catapulted Jokic to the "highest historical tier" (again he was 26th on the PC board this summer!) which has resulted in an unneeded overcorrection from many people on this board
AEnigma
Analyst

Post#346 » by AEnigma » Fri May 24, 2024 11:48 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:The reality is that literally everything that would be disrespectful in person is also disrespectful in text, and us getting used to those disrespectful tones is something that goes right along with us being more interested in finding a player/coach/etc to mock after (or during) a game instead of focusing on the actual nuts and bolts of the play itself.

The Denver-Minnesota series was a moment that I think stands out particularly showing our culture jumping the shark. At every step of the way, as the momentum jerked abruptly back and forth, it just seemed like almost everywhere I turned, I saw people talking about everything except the basketball itself.

The most noteworthy exception that I saw? The Thinking Basketball videos. There you specifically had a guy focusing on basketball details cranking out content rapidly. Not saying Ben's perfect or that he's the only one doing good stuff, but it's a stark contrast between what he's focused on and what's being focused on in here currently, and that can't help but make me raise my eyebrows because:

a) He came from here.
b) He's getting referenced here by people making mocking statement ("Overthinking Basketball").
c) I'm encountering people here who are talking like they know basketball far better than everyone else.

This is why I say to people: If you can do what he's doing but better, you should go do it.

I worry we've become a snake eating its own tail, and what I see, I speak to.

This place remains a far better place to talk basketball than most, and there is still a great deal of basketball knowledge in the current community, to say nothing of the history which is still accessible a mere click away. I don't want to overstate the problems, but I also don't want to ignore them.

When this place becomes a place where we see each other as rivals rather than comrades, we learn less about the actual game, and that sucks.

I have watched multiple threads here devolve by an established pattern of [basketball criticism of Jokic] —> [complaint that criticism was made] —> [navel-gazing back-and-forth focusing more on the optics of the criticism than about any basketball being played]. Right there is your ouroboros. Every time you lament the lack of basketball being discussed (would you like me to link some posts for you, since you seem to have missed them?), you derail basketball discussion. Just like every time someone complains about criticism of Jokic rather than engaging with the content of the criticism, they derail basketball discussion. And it is disappointingly ironic to see you come in here and not say, “hey, everyone, here are my basketball thoughts,” but instead pretend there is no basketball discussion and openly contribute to the exact self-devouring derailment that is drowning out the real discussion you claim you want.
AEnigma
Analyst

Post#347 » by AEnigma » Fri May 24, 2024 11:54 pm

Special_Puppy wrote:
AEnigma wrote:People were free to, and freely did, criticise Steph, and none of Duncan, Garnett, Dirk, Kawhi, or Chris Paul saw real backlash from committing the apparent sin of “beating Lebron.”

I think you are *really* overestimating how many people catapulted Jokic to the "highest historical tier" (again he was 26th on the PC board this summer!)

He was 26th because he had at most seven relevant seasons. He was 16th in the peaks project before winning a title; how high do you think he would be had we done it last year instead.

And while it is nice to pretend the PC Board is its own little bubble, there is still plenty of overlap with the General Board, and over there he may as well have perfected basketball.

which has resulted in an unneeded overcorrection from many people on this board

Where is the over-correction. What you are seeing is people who had these criticisms all year but could find no purchase because no one wanted to hear that type of criticism in the wake of what was supposedly the greatest season they had ever seen. And even now they still cannot find purchase because every post of criticism sparks three pages of whining over the criticism itself.
Special_Puppy
Sixth Man

Post#348 » by Special_Puppy » Sat May 25, 2024 12:02 am

AEnigma wrote:
Special_Puppy wrote:

I think you are *really* overestimating how many people catapulted Jokic to the "highest historical tier" (again he was 26th on the PC board this summer!)

He was 26th because he had at most seven relevant seasons. He was 16th in the peaks project before winning a title; how high do you think he would be had we done it last year instead.

And while it is nice to pretend the PC Board is its own little bubble, there is still plenty of overlap with the General Board, and over there he may as well have perfected basketball.

which has resulted in an unneeded overcorrection from many people on this board

Where is the over-correction. What you are seeing is people who had these criticisms all year but could find no purchase because no one wanted to hear that type of criticism in the wake of what was supposedly the greatest season they had ever seen. And even now they still cannot find purchase because every post of criticism sparks three pages of whining over the criticism itself.

AEnigma wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
tsherkin wrote: Evsn if Jokic is kinda getting 95 Robinson'd.

The Jokic standards are approaching Lebron levels. Where you have to make every shot and win every game or you are trash. :lol: What are we even doing?

Are we describing what has been happening as Jokic merely failing to win and failing to make every shot? Or is the observation more to do with bad and exploitable defence and a potential tendency to offensive passivity, both of which have been discussed long before this exact moment?

Has he played the best two games of his career? No. Has he been terrible like everyone wants to hot take? Not even close. Sometimes the other team is just really good and plays really well too.

Much like Robinson actually got the best of Dream over their careers but this board used to insist otherwise based on one series before I actually did the research and it showed how clear the advantage was to Robinson. But narratives take hold and very few people are willing to change their mind.

So back to gesturing at a perceived regular season advantage being more meaningful than what happens in the postseason?

Jokic’s regular season impact has rarely translated to the postseason. That gets hidden behind small samples and extenuating circumstances, but the more that sample increases, and the more people want to argue that the strong performances of support players like Jamal Murray actually do not matter, then the more valid it becomes for us to look at a player who had been an on-court negative (in a literal plus/minus sense) for nearly half of his career series (6-8).

We have posters on this board calling into question his MVP's because of 2 games. I know that's not you, but this burying of Jokic isn't for me. Still the best player in the world.

He might be, but in the playoffs it is a substantially smaller gap than has been portrayed, and much of the advantage is built around Jokic being a durable player — which is good, to be clear, but is the same sort of approach that will get people to grumble when you call Tatum a better postseason player than Kawhi because the latter can almost never hold up through two rounds.

Saying that Jokic's value falls *substantially* in the post-season a big ovecorrection IMO
AEnigma
Analyst

Post#349 » by AEnigma » Sat May 25, 2024 12:07 am

Thank you for exemplifying what I mean. We just spent a year where there was seemingly no limit to how effusive people could be in their praise. I have seen you specifically ignore some galling aggrandisements in favour of arguing against what should have been normal criticisms. And now that the dynasty is on pause, the focus is still on making sure no one criticises him, even for something as objective and easy to confirm as plus/minus.

And then you blithely wonder why people would resist that type of lazy dismissal.

Again, completely unprecedented for anything I have seen in sports. If there is poison in the discourse, that reflexive rejection of any and all criticism is its source. Several people try to point out the emperor is exposing himself, but your instinct is to argue the clothes are just exceedingly thin.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 92,425

Post#350 » by Texas Chuck » Sat May 25, 2024 3:49 am

In non-Jokic stuff, Nico Harrison might should be getting a late run at EOY. Added Lively in the draft. Good min signing in Exum, incredible min signing in Derrick Jones Jr. Made a mistake with Grant Williams, but erased it by turning him into PJ Washington. Adding Gafford at the deadline as well.

Added 4 of their top 6 this year. Not the big names Boston added, but just no arguing what a different team Dallas is from last year.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
AEnigma
Analyst

Post#351 » by AEnigma » Sat May 25, 2024 3:51 am

Yeah he will be in my top three along with Stevens and probably Connelly. Lively third on my Rookie ballot also speaks to how well he built the team this year.
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,969

Post#352 » by Dutchball97 » Sat May 25, 2024 7:20 am

People should absolutely be free to criticize Jokic. His rim protection is absolutely a flaw, although I disagree with the degree it hampers the Denver defense. He has good hands, doesn't get backed down easily and rarely, if ever, loses track of his man. Denver has also consistently had decent to good defenses with Jokic even despite his relative lack of rim protection. His insistency to get his teammates going can be annoying when they can't seem to hit anything but as I've pointed out earlier in the thread, he was already leading everyone including Edwards and Murray in FGA during the Minny series, should he have taken 30 FGA per game like he was Jordan or something? I also disagree that his rim protection is what caused them the series, which is why I find this timing of the Jokic crticique so off. It really does seem like a certain subset has just been aching for him to lose so they can jump on him and that's not just shutting down "sincere criticism".

Especially his offensive struggles are so overstated imo. Yes he looked human when constantly doubled by some of the best defenders in the league but like others have constantly pointed out he still shot well overall, all while creating good looks for his teammates they just didn't capitalize on most of the time.

My issue is the just how mad people seem to be at Jokic for getting GOAT level talk and not even by the people they're arguing against here. I do agree with some of the others here that this does look to be trickling down from the LeBron worship but that's been my biggest problem with the forum for years now. Just look at the thread where 5 of the best offensive players get ranked and how incredulous LeBron fans got over people not unanimously ranking him first.

Anyway, how about Naz Reid huh? Even despite Edwards struggling against pressure and Gobert mostly disappearing again on the way to a 0-2 deficit, Naz has been making a big statement to bring home that 6MOY award.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,305

Post#353 » by OhayoKD » Sat May 25, 2024 9:22 am

With all of this, if you want to take issue with me being below the perfect ideal, you can. I respond here not to try to climb back on some pedestal, but because I see what I'm describing here as important distinctions that you (and others) are clearly missing.

This was literally the first thing I addressed
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2369735&start=260
If you're to ignore my reply to address other people's low hanging-fruit, I'd ask you not pretend I did not directly engage the thing you are saying was "missed" just because you didn't address the reply:

"Overthinking Basketball" pays off "Thinking Basketball" puns the original name while also summarising a primary criticism of his work: they addition of assumptions without justification.

That which works on multiple levels tends to draw more engagement, so there is function to this even if you think humor is not worthwhile inofitself. "Gleeful negativity" is not inherently problematic, and I find it paticularly not so here. As a powerful figure who millions treat as an academic, extra engagement and a little fun(and a lot of saved syllables) calling attention to Ben Taylor's work doing something which, at least in Heej's opinion(and mine), is vey much anti-intellectually rigorous, seems perfectly reasonable; a societal good even.

At any rate, if you want to meaningfully progress this thread(not the literal thread here) you've started, focusing on the effects of "gleeful negativity" or whether Ben's work really does "overthink basketball", seems like a far more productive route to me then telling a bunch of other people "i understand you want to appy that standard on me, but that is not the point".

Doctor MJ wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:I'd ask you to remember that that's what I've been trying to do as you mock me.

Laughing at an idea you propose is not the same as mocking you

Not as different as you think.

Listen, from a moderating perspective, degrees of directness matter. A moderation team has to decide what degrees they will tolerate and what they won't, and the more you try to crack down on the implicit, the more you realize you the slipperiness of pragmatic communication. Realistically we can crack down on explicit behavior and try to hold a line of being nice and respectful, but that's about it.

But if Person A says something sincere, and Person B responds by making a show of being amused by how wrong they think the other person is, it's naive to think that Person A won't take that as insulting.

Person A may feel a way about it, but I'd say that's just the price of business in the marketplace of ideas. There is merit to encouraging focus on arguments and not people in most cases. I do not think there is merit to protecting ideas, and I think people presenting ideas should be expected to accept that people can feel how they feel about said ideas, and express their opinions on said ideas honestly.

OhayoKD wrote:and isn't meaningfully different from this:
I can acknowledge being a bit triggered by the post Game 7 responses, and the reason more than anything else is that it was a Game 7 in a 7 game series where hot/cold shooting had everything to do with the difference between the 1st & 2nd halves. Minnesota EARNED their win without question, but in terms of people pontificating about "things they knew" ahead of time, it makes me snort.

Think I covered the rest with my previous reply.

How is it different? Let's count the ways:
1. He was making a statement in response to me about something I specifically said, I was talking about a trend I was noticing more broadly.

You being vague and including more people does not strike me as "kinder" and is frankly less productive than Heej focusing on a specific concept.
2. He was responding to me making a factual statement, while I was talking about people taking a victory lap over others.

He clearly disagrees with that statement being factual, but sure, if we take voicing your thoughts on opinions as an offense, you can say "they started it".

3. He specifically chose to use the verbiage "Laughing my F***ing A** Off" as an immediate response to what I said, while I only used the word "snort" after explaining the details of what I was taken aback by.

Both denote laughter, you're just being more novel-ly about it. Heej also explained the details of what took them back with far more specify so there's that.

And why are you missing it? I'd say because you're used to internet norms that make you feel like I'm being dense when I object to them. When I say "you wouldn't say this to my face", there's admittedly a lot that goes into that, but a critical aspect of internet text conversation is that people have come to see things that would clearly be seen as instigations for a physical fight in person but on the internet - where that's not possible - people have come to think it's normal conversation that no one has any business objecting to.

"Overthinking basketball" would not be considered "instigating fight worthy" nor would Heej laughing out loud and/or using LMAO irl. What I'm willing to say in real life is largely much stronger than what I say here because this board is far stricter in terms of conversation than actual irl is.

In actual irl Heej could flat out say "that's dumb" or even "you're dumb" for saying this, and assuming his timbre isn't too harsh, you making a big fuss would read to most people as defensive. There are contexts where addressing you that way would be problematic, but in normal conversation without any hierarchies or strings attached, you would be considered the abnormal party, not Heej.

The reality is that literally everything that would be disrespectful in person is also disrespectful in text, and us getting used to those disrespectful tones is something that goes right along with us being more interested in finding a player/coach/etc to mock after (or during) a game instead of focusing on the actual nuts and bolts of the play itself.
Reality is making fun of multi-millionare athletes is fun, that's why most basketball fans will sometimes do it. And again, you are the one in this thread who is doing the most to sidestep basketball discussion. There was plenty of basketball in the comment you replied to from Heej, and "Ovethinking basketball" does function as a prompt to discuss basketball more. Instead you wanted to gesture at some societal thing without actually exploring it beyond your initital impressions. So here we are.

The most noteworthy exception that I saw? The Thinking Basketball videos. There you specifically had a guy focusing on basketball details cranking out content rapidly. Not saying Ben's perfect or that he's the only one doing good stuff, but it's a stark contrast between what he's focused on and what's being focused on in here currently, and that can't help but make me raise my eyebrows because:

a) He came from here.
b) He's getting referenced here by people making mocking statement ("Overthinking Basketball").
c) I'm encountering people here who are talking like they know basketball far better than everyone else.

This is why I say to people: If you can do what he's doing but better, you should go do it.

Also addressed previously, but again, Ben Taylor's opinions have given him a platform and power. If society is working properly, responsbiliy, expectations, and criticism should scale accordingly.

The volume of content he is producing does not actually address the criticism here, nor would the time he spends on the subject("many a academic has spent excessive time on a subject only not actually gleam something useful for the perspective they are positing or exploring).

It is good for Ben he was willing to do the work to get his platform, it is not germane to whether he should or should not be subject to "gleeful negativity". Neither is whether he came from this forum(frankly i find internet-space tribalism unusual, but emotional attachments form on the internet too I guess).

There is also a benefit to projecting confidence in your takes tonally, and again, the approach Heej is taking is pefectly normal in "irl conversation", specifically those surrounding sports.

But when I see people taking these in-your-face victory laps, that's not what I see. Oh, folks may be right where I'm wrong on particular things, but if this is their touchdown celebration, they aren't going anywhere with that knowledge, and nor are they supporting a community that will help others to get to that point.

Speculative, and so far, you haven't connected the dots here. What even is "going anywhere" in the first place. If its getting paid for content like Ben Taylor is, or if it's getting work with professional nba or wnba teams...well that's already happened for members of the "new wave" of Realgm, so exhibiting "gleeful negativity" may not actually be as counter-productive as you presume.
When this place becomes a place where we see each other as rivals rather than comrades, we learn less about the actual game, and that sucks.
[/quote]
Are we learning less about the actual game though? Was the value od DHO's, and what is and isn't a horn whatever, standard conversation in the good old days where everyone was everyone else's comrade? I think you're prematurely assuming that which yields emotional comfort automatically yields superior practical results. Competition has it's perks, even when it doesn't involve a ball.
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,305

Post#354 » by OhayoKD » Sat May 25, 2024 9:45 am

parsnips33 wrote:

I think you mean this board specifically. General Board is very much not defensive.

Even then, I think the Lebron thread, which is for obvious reasons going to be the highest concentration point. may be skewing your perspective. For every Jokic criticism there are 2-3 comments asking why there is criticism, and on nuetral threads a chicago-based cultural phenom was sparking several gb invasions.

Personally, generally appreciate seeing Lebron fans grow some spine. After 40 years of them just pathetically parroting half-baked mythology, they're actually(the they being on this board) putting some effort in controlling the conversation, rather than just reflexively reverse unoning on the defensive ("lebron no clutch -> lebron buzzer beaters!!!")

That said, modenist on modernist crime is sad, and indicative of a deeper fear of upsetting the apple-cart. Jokic and Curry fans going at Lebron and vice versa predominantly, as opposed to the likes of Jordan and Bird plays into the hands of the mythmakers
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
Special_Puppy
Sixth Man

Post#355 » by Special_Puppy » Sat May 25, 2024 4:39 pm

Luka would have a decent argument for POTY if the Mavs make the finals.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 20,317

Post#356 » by Doctor MJ » Sat May 25, 2024 6:03 pm

So I'll say that I'm done with this particular meta back and forth I'm having with people on this broader culture issue.

Those responding to me are convinced that there is no issue, and if there is an issue it's with the people pointing it out, so continuing on seems worse than useless.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
AEnigma
Analyst

Post#357 » by AEnigma » Sat May 25, 2024 6:38 pm

Glad to get back to talking actual basketball.

The Thunder defended the Mavericks better than the Wolves have so far, although tough to tell to what extent that was because of Luka possibly been more physically limited on his own. I do not think the Thunder have inherently better personnel — Conley, NAW, Edwards, and McDaniels is much more of a stand-out group of wing defenders than Gobert/Towns/Reid are as a defensive big rotation — so I am interested to see what they try to replicate from the Thunder (for better or worse).
BroKamina
Ballboy
And1: 21

Post#358 » by BroKamina » Sat May 25, 2024 10:11 pm

trex_8063 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
trex_8063 wrote:Speaking for myself, I have them:

#1 - Jokic
#2 - SGA
#3 - Luka (theoretically he could move up if he closes out the playoffs playing at an utterly insane level en route to the Finals [win or lose]; I suppose theoretically he could also fall to #4-5 if he plays like trash in the WCF and it costs the Mavs a trip to the Finals)

For the last two spots, I see a number of contenders:
Tatum
Brunson
Haliburton
Ant-Man
LeBron
AD

I'm almost wondering if Embiid deserves some dark-horse consideration, too, despite all the missed time. He was just so remarkable in the 39 rs games he DID play in, and also pretty darn good in the playoffs too. He likely won't make the cut for me, but jsia.

Donovan Mitchell misses out on consideration due to too much time, however. Even though he didn't miss quite as much as Embiid, he was also no where near as dominant as Embiid. For him, missing a third of the rs plus 2 [of 12] playoff games, is just too big a factor, since he's only a marginal candidate vs the guys listed above even if considering ONLY level of play WHEN AVAILABLE.

The only other guy I can think of who might deserve some consideration is Sabonis. Monster statistical season (and didn't miss a single game, fwiw); but the fact that he failed to lead the Kings to a playoff berth [with Fox as a wing-man] combined with his lackluster on/off is enough for me to probably leave him among the pool of honourable mentions. Can't see him making my top 5.

EDIT: And Kawhi Leonard. But again, the missed time (particularly when they needed him the most: in the playoffs) is likely too big a factor for him to have serious traction in my considerations.

No Gobert?

+8.6 Net Rtg in RS
+16.2 Net Rtg in PS
-7th in RS WS, 6th in RS WS/48
-Top 5 Rebounder in NBA
-Clear-Cut DPOY
-99/99 1st Team All-Defensive Votes
-Dominant Post-FG% Numbers and Paint Deterrence Numbers
-76 RS Games Player, Missed 1 PS Game due to Birth of 1st Child

AEnigma wrote:Gobert posting a +16 or higher net (I have seen a few different numbers because apparently it is impossible to agree on what constitutes a possession) in the postseason is pretty wild considering there is a blowout win in that off-court sample. Going by PBP, which has him at +21 overall, the average of every other game has him at +32 overall. And even with that game included, he leads his teammates in both net and on-court rating.

I do not expect to consider him too seriously, but if Edwards drops off and the Mavericks are clearly struggling because of Gobert (like in those 2018/19 Rockets series), then I am willing to make a swap.

Fair enough. I did think of Gobert, though with the way Edwards has been playing, Rudy's sort of felt like the 2nd-best on his own team (and Ant-man is only a borderline candidate for me right now). Though it is sort of fun to watch opponents get the ball in the paint and just be like "nevermind"......and take it back out of the paint, whenever Gobert is in the game :).

I suppose pending how he (and Edwards) close out the playoffs, he could indeed become a candidate for #5 (EDIT: I might "make the swap", as you both have said). He's worth an HM at least.

Presently I'm leaning toward two of Tatum, Brunson, and Haliburton as my #4 and #5. Though I could end up going with someone like LeBron, too, who was excellent in the rs and phenom in the playoffs, even if the Lakers lost in the 1st round (hard to put that squarely on his shoulders).

Backreading

Lebron was absolutely at fault for the loss even with the teammates, with his impossible standards he has even at his age, awful defense in game 3, and poor finishing at the rim in game 1-2 despite getting fantastic opportunities was a huge issue.

More inconsistency than fundamental failure, but still. He was still great in the playoffs but with how good he is he could have been better.
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,506

Post#359 » by iggymcfrack » Mon May 27, 2024 7:13 am

This WCF hurts Ant more than it helps Luka in my estimation. Not that Luka hasn’t been sublime and come through huge in clutch moments because he absolutely has, but the gap was so large between him and the top two that I’m still not very close to moving him up. Ant meanwhile was riding high on the back of a tremendous postseason that doesn’t look quite so tremendous any more. If I was gonna rank guys for POY right now, my ballot would be:

1. Jokic
2. SGA
3. Luka
4. Brunson
5. LeBron
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,506

Post#360 » by iggymcfrack » Mon May 27, 2024 7:19 am

BroKamina wrote:
trex_8063 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
No Gobert?

+8.6 Net Rtg in RS
+16.2 Net Rtg in PS
-7th in RS WS, 6th in RS WS/48
-Top 5 Rebounder in NBA
-Clear-Cut DPOY
-99/99 1st Team All-Defensive Votes
-Dominant Post-FG% Numbers and Paint Deterrence Numbers
-76 RS Games Player, Missed 1 PS Game due to Birth of 1st Child

AEnigma wrote:Gobert posting a +16 or higher net (I have seen a few different numbers because apparently it is impossible to agree on what constitutes a possession) in the postseason is pretty wild considering there is a blowout win in that off-court sample. Going by PBP, which has him at +21 overall, the average of every other game has him at +32 overall. And even with that game included, he leads his teammates in both net and on-court rating.

I do not expect to consider him too seriously, but if Edwards drops off and the Mavericks are clearly struggling because of Gobert (like in those 2018/19 Rockets series), then I am willing to make a swap.

Fair enough. I did think of Gobert, though with the way Edwards has been playing, Rudy's sort of felt like the 2nd-best on his own team (and Ant-man is only a borderline candidate for me right now). Though it is sort of fun to watch opponents get the ball in the paint and just be like "nevermind"......and take it back out of the paint, whenever Gobert is in the game :).

I suppose pending how he (and Edwards) close out the playoffs, he could indeed become a candidate for #5 (EDIT: I might "make the swap", as you both have said). He's worth an HM at least.

Presently I'm leaning toward two of Tatum, Brunson, and Haliburton as my #4 and #5. Though I could end up going with someone like LeBron, too, who was excellent in the rs and phenom in the playoffs, even if the Lakers lost in the 1st round (hard to put that squarely on his shoulders).

Backreading

Lebron was absolutely at fault for the loss even with the teammates, with his impossible standards he has even at his age, awful defense in game 3, and poor finishing at the rim in game 1-2 despite getting fantastic opportunities was a huge issue.

More inconsistency than fundamental failure, but still. He was still great in the playoffs but with how good he is he could have been better.

LeBron had better numbers than anyone except Jokic this postseason. He had a higher BPM this postseason than any of his Miami years. Saying he’s “at fault” for this loss is just the lame stupid “blame the guy who loses no matter what” discourse that infects basketball culture all the time. It’s like blaming Jokic for “only” dropping 34/19/7 in Game 7.

Return to Player Comparisons