2019-2020 Jokic Thread

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

kayess
Sixth Man
And1: 1,000

Re: 2019-2020 Jokic Thread 

Post#41 » by kayess » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:04 am

While I'm kinda scared of the reactionary bull he'll face if it all comes crashing down against the Lakers, super happy that he's been able to perform. Always thought if he fixed his stamina and became serviceable on defense he'd be an absolute top draw
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,899

Post#42 » by Dutchball97 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:11 am

I thought Jokic was top 3 in the play-offs last year with Kawhi and KD. In the regular season he was right behind the top guys as well and while Giannis, Harden and Kawhi have already been knocked out of the play-offs with questionable performances, Jokic is still going strong.

You've got to think the Lakers are the favorites in the WCF but if any player can make some magic happen right now it's probably Jokic.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,689

Post#43 » by Dupp » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:16 am

Elimination game Joker
freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,230

Post#44 » by freethedevil » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:42 am

Dutchball97 wrote:I thought Jokic was top 3 in the play-offs last year with Kawhi and KD. In the regular season he was right behind the top guys as well and while Giannis, Harden and Kawhi have already been knocked out of the play-offs with questionable performances, Jokic is still going strong.

You've got to think the Lakers are the favorites in the WCF but if any player can make some magic happen right now it's probably Jokic.

People giving KD any kind of credit for padding vs **** d 's while his teams underperformed continues to baffle me.

Curry makes the final and kd somehow was better because he scored alot vs the clippers.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,689

Post#45 » by Dupp » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:00 pm

freethedevil wrote:
Dutchball97 wrote:I thought Jokic was top 3 in the play-offs last year with Kawhi and KD. In the regular season he was right behind the top guys as well and while Giannis, Harden and Kawhi have already been knocked out of the play-offs with questionable performances, Jokic is still going strong.

People giving KD any kind of credit for padding vs **** d 's while his teams underperformed continues to baffle me.

Curry makes the final and kd somehow was better because he scored alot vs the clippers.

Why do you keep bringing up the clippers ? The warriors only test before the finals was the rockets and KD was the best player in that series before he went down. They don’t get up 3-2 without him. Yes they closed it out without him and Steph was great in the second half but it was also another classic rockets / harden choke.

Just because KD had it fairy easy doesn’t mean he wasn’t also really great.
freethedevil
Head Coach

Post#46 » by freethedevil » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:03 pm

Dupp wrote:
freethedevil wrote:

Why do you keep bringing up the clippers ? The warriors only test before the finals was the rockets and KD was the best player in that series before he went down. They don’t get up 3-2 without him. Yes they closed it out without him and Steph was great in the second half but it was also another classic rockets / harden choke.

The warriors played the rockets dead even with kd, aka, underperforming. And fyi, the rockets were the 10th best defense, iow, not impressive.

Value is defined by how well you play under difficult circumstances, and kd has no reasonable argument against curry there, when curry did better in harder circumstances than kd did in easier ones.
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant

Post#47 » by Dutchball97 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:08 pm

freethedevil wrote:
Dupp wrote:
freethedevil wrote:People giving KD any kind of credit for padding vs **** d 's while his teams underperformed continues to baffle me.

The warriors played the rockets dead even with kd, aka, underperforming. And fyi, the rockets were the 10th best defense, iow, not impressive.

Value is defined by how well you play under difficult circumstances, and kd has no reasonable argument against curry there, when curry did better in harder circumstances than kd did in easier ones.

They played on the same team though last year and that's all we're talking about, last year. They were on the same team with the same circumstances and in my opinion KD performed better.
freethedevil
Head Coach

Post#48 » by freethedevil » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:14 pm

Dutchball97 wrote:
freethedevil wrote:
Dupp wrote:

They played on the same team though last year and that's all we're talking about, last year. They were on the same team with the same circumstances and in my opinion KD performed better.

curry shot better vs an atd rpators defense than kd did against the rockets. Curry's impact stats, influenced by that 6 game series were better than kd's despite the harder comp, and after kd went down, curry scored on similar volume on higher effiency.

The problem is you're just looking at ppg, when kd's effiency plummets by 7 points when curry is off. Curry is one of the league's best creators, kd is not, so if the winning says curry's better, and you're like "but kd looked better", then iduno what you're looking at.
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant

Post#49 » by Dutchball97 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:19 pm

freethedevil wrote:
Dutchball97 wrote:
freethedevil wrote:The warriors played the rockets dead even with kd, aka, underperforming. And fyi, the rockets were the 10th best defense, iow, not impressive.

curry shot better vs an atd rpators defense than kd did against the rockets. Curry's impact stats, influenced by that 6 game series were better than kd's despite the harder comp, and after kd went down, curry scored on similar volume on higher effiency.

The problem is you're just looking at ppg, when kd's effiency plummets by 7 points when curry is off. Curry is one of the league's best creators, kd is not, so if the winning says curry's better, and you're like "but kd looked better", then iduno what you're looking at.

I'm not basing it off PPG though. I'm basing it off KD having higher BPM, WS/48, PER and TS% than Curry in last years play-offs. If you think all those stats are worthless then not much else I can say either.
freethedevil
Head Coach

Post#50 » by freethedevil » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:30 pm

Dutchball97 wrote:
freethedevil wrote:
Dutchball97 wrote:

I'm not basing it off PPG though. I'm basing it off KD having higher BPM, WS/48, PER and TS% than Curry in last years play-offs. If you think all those stats are worthless then not much else I can say either.

Curry was hggher in all the stats you listed by the time kd went off, so were giannis and kawhi and jokic.

I'm basing it off imapct stats like pipm andben's bpm which are provable more predictive and had curry as higher.

Curry also posted way higher impact stats in 2017 when both of the two played together

(and per isn't based of scoreboard margins so i dont know why anyone would bring that up)
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,626

Post#51 » by 70sFan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:49 pm

Durant played definitely better in Houston series last season.
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,868

Post#52 » by Goudelock » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:09 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:As said in the broadcast, very special when a player can go 5-13 and feel like he completely dominated

Almost Magic Johnson-esque in how he completely controlled the game without making a ton of shots. Jokic had 22 boards and somehow it felt like he had even more. His defense didn't seem to bad either in that fourth quarter, aside from that late rotation that led to a Harrell layup and foul.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,660

Post#53 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:53 pm

Goudelock wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:As said in the broadcast, very special when a player can go 5-13 and feel like he completely dominated

Almost Magic Johnson-esque in how he completely controlled the game without making a ton of shots. Jokic had 22 boards and somehow it felt like he had even more. His defense didn't seem to bad either in that fourth quarter, aside from that late rotation that led to a Harrell layup and foul.

What's cool is that Jokic is clearly emerging as one of these all-time superpower guys who can do things no one else can do.

When I watch Jokic's style, I think Walton.
When I watch Jokic's active intelligence on the court, I think Bird.
When I watch Jokic on the pick and roll, it's like watching the SSOL Suns if Amar'e was the team's playmaker instead of Nash.

Put it all together, Magic might be as close of a comparison as we have.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,878

Post#54 » by Peregrine01 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:57 pm

Jokic might go down as one of the greatest passers of all-time - up there with Nash, Magic and Bird. Unreal how he sees the opening before the guy he passes to even realizes it.

Also very impressed with his defense. He was a lot more active in the last few games and while he lacks mobility and athleticism, those same instincts that make him a great passer should also make him a pretty good defender. He broke up a ton of plays last night.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#55 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:40 pm

Peregrine01 wrote:Jokic might go down as one of the greatest passers of all-time - up there with Nash, Magic and Bird. Unreal how he sees the opening before the guy he passes to even realizes it.

Also very impressed with his defense. He was a lot more active in the last few games and while he lacks mobility and athleticism, those same instincts that make him a great passer should also make him a pretty good defender. He broke up a ton of plays last night.

What struck me against the Clippers was how all-encompassing his BBIQ advantage is. It's not just the passing, he just sees opportunities to outsmart the opponents and trick the refs every moment he's out there as if he's the savvy old veteran. It's one thing to process the game faster than others, but veterans are supposed to get smarter and smarter as they learn from being burnt by other smarter veterans and learning what the possible ripostes are when you recognize what's happening. With Jokic it's like I'm constantly seeing "Oh, I could just do this" moments that don't seem based on having learned from other people.

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#56 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:40 pm

Fun thought: Jokic's Nuggets have now won more series than Melo's Nuggets.

GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,417

Post#57 » by GSP » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:52 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:Fun thought: Jokic's Nuggets have now won more series than Melo's Nuggets.

What happens with the jersey retiring? Its really odd they both wear 15. Is Melos ever gonna get retired?
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,537

Post#58 » by Pelly24 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:14 pm

Jokic is incredible. I remember Windhorst and Amin Elhassan laughed when Pop said he was like Larry Bird. I've been saying that since last year. This guy is one of those rare irrepressible talents like LeBron and Luka. His talent is limitless.
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,878

Post#59 » by Peregrine01 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:34 pm

If there was one thing that seemed missing from Jokic is his aggressiveness which I think stems from an underestimation of his own abilities. I hope these playoffs have made him realize that he's absolutely one of the best players in the game.
freethedevil
Head Coach

Post#60 » by freethedevil » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:49 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
Goudelock wrote:

What's cool is that Jokic is clearly emerging as one of these all-time superpower guys who can do things no one else can do.

When I watch Jokic's style, I think Walton.
When I watch Jokic's active intelligence on the court, I think Bird.
When I watch Jokic on the pick and roll, it's like watching the SSOL Suns if Amar'e was the team's playmaker instead of Nash.

Put it all together, Magic might be as close of a comparison as we have.

do the 2020 nuggets feel anything like the 15 warriors?

Return to Player Comparisons