General NBA discussion (2018 offseason + 2018-19 season)

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Re: General NBA discussion (2018 offseason + 2018-19 season) 

Post#461 » by Dr Spaceman » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:07 am

Clyde Frazier wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:So apparently median defensive rating so far is 110. I guess the rule changes are having an effect

Yep:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Although I hope the exceeding # of fouls called dies down sooner than later. I’m not enjoying it.

That said, pace is off the charts right now, too:

Read on Twitter

That I don’t really mind.

Yeah I don’t mind the high pace although I generally prefer half court ball but some of these games have turned into unwatchable free throw contests. Against GSW Denver shot 42 (!!!!!!) free throws. They were at the line almost every other possession. This has got to change soon or the playoffs will be a complete mess.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
toodles23
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,470

Post#462 » by toodles23 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:11 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:So apparently median defensive rating so far is 110. I guess the rule changes are having an effect

Yep:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Although I hope the exceeding # of fouls called dies down sooner than later. I’m not enjoying it.

That said, pace is off the charts right now, too:

Read on Twitter

That I don’t really mind.

Yeah I don’t mind the high pace although I generally prefer half court ball but some of these games have turned into unwatchable free throw contests. Against GSW Denver shot 42 (!!!!!!) free throws. They were at the line almost every other possession. This has got to change soon or the playoffs will be a complete mess.

I liked where the game was the last few years but so far this season things just feel out of whack with the balance tipped too far in the favor of offense. It's just too easy to score right now, and baskets don't really feel meaningful like they should. If anything I think the league should have started to look into ways to empower defenses a bit as teams continue to get smarter and more skilled on offense, but they did the opposite with this freedom of movement stuff.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,515

Post#463 » by Colbinii » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:27 pm

toodles23 wrote: liked where the game was the last few years but so far this season things just feel out of whack with the balance tipped too far in the favor of offense. It's just too easy to score right now, and baskets don't really feel meaningful like they should. If anything I think the league should have started to look into ways to empower defenses a bit as teams continue to get smarter and more skilled on offense, but they did the opposite with this freedom of movement stuff.

I'm not saying that the league will figure it out, but we need to give these great coaches in the modern era some time to adapt (as well as the players). The freedom of movement stuff is having a major impact but I don't think we should jump to conclusions like this.

Everyone thought defenses would vanish after hand-checking was removed yet some of the greatest defensive teams of all-time emerged shortly after (Pistons and Celtics). Yes, I do believe that this is the equivalent of removing hand-checking, if not more so.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager

Post#464 » by Dr Spaceman » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:37 am

Colbinii wrote:
toodles23 wrote: liked where the game was the last few years but so far this season things just feel out of whack with the balance tipped too far in the favor of offense. It's just too easy to score right now, and baskets don't really feel meaningful like they should. If anything I think the league should have started to look into ways to empower defenses a bit as teams continue to get smarter and more skilled on offense, but they did the opposite with this freedom of movement stuff.

I'm not saying that the league will figure it out, but we need to give these great coaches in the modern era some time to adapt (as well as the players). The freedom of movement stuff is having a major impact but I don't think we should jump to conclusions like this.

Everyone thought defenses would vanish after hand-checking was removed yet some of the greatest defensive teams of all-time emerged shortly after (Pistons and Celtics). Yes, I do believe that this is the equivalent of removing hand-checking, if not more so.

Just to nit pick, those Pistons were actually one of the major reasons why the hand checking rule was made because they were too good defensively.
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,177

Post#465 » by PaulieWal » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:59 am

Colbinii wrote:

The reason this is infuriating is that offenses were doing fine and evolving on their own. The NBA screwed up. It makes 0 sense that they went into the off-season thinking, you know what we need to do? Open up the game even more!

Pretty damn stupid if you ask me. Removing hand-checking and changing rules was a little bit different because they wanted to open up the game, help offenses breathe. What they did was not needed and they better try to even it because it is definitely going to make the game way too one-sided.
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager

Post#466 » by Dr Spaceman » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:45 am

PaulieWal wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

The reason this is infuriating is that offenses were doing fine and evolving on their own. The NBA screwed up. It makes 0 sense that they went into the off-season thinking, you know what we need to do? Open up the game even more!

Pretty damn stupid if you ask me. Removing hand-checking and changing rules was a little bit different because they wanted to open up the game, help offenses breathe. What they did was not needed and they better try to even it because it is definitely going to make the game way too one-sided.

In his last 2 games JJ Redick has 61 points on 14/28 from three. He’s 34 and will probably have his best statistical season this year. He’s just unguardable with the new rules.

15th ranked offense still holding strong at 110 ORTG.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,217

Post#467 » by bondom34 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:49 am

This season just feels....weird when you look at the scoring. Not really in a good way either to me.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#468 » by MisterHibachi » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:33 pm

Is there a specific rule you guys think would balance the scales? Hand checking? Defensive 3 seconds? I feel unlocking the 3 pointer at all 5 positions just makes your offense unguardable no matter what the defensive rules.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#469 » by Colbinii » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:13 pm

MisterHibachi wrote:Is there a specific rule you guys think would balance the scales? Hand checking? Defensive 3 seconds? I feel unlocking the 3 pointer at all 5 positions just makes your offense unguardable no matter what the defensive rules.

1) Lengthening the 3 point line.

2) Handchecking

I think allowing handchecking on-ball but not off-ball would be interesting. It would allow defenses to instill more pressure on the ball-handler while still allowing flow throughout an offense.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Dr Spaceman
General Manager

Post#470 » by Dr Spaceman » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:54 pm

This Minnesota situation is wild. I can’t remember a time when public perception has shifted so rapidly. 3 weeks ago Butler was the worst teammate in history and now all of a sudden people are seeing the real Towns come out.

I just don’t even know what to say. I’m sorry for Minnesota. But after this series of events I just don’t see how you can envision Towns as a cornerstone. The dude does not seem to be cut out for stardom in this league.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager

Post#471 » by Dr Spaceman » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:01 pm

MisterHibachi wrote:Is there a specific rule you guys think would balance the scales? Hand checking? Defensive 3 seconds? I feel unlocking the 3 pointer at all 5 positions just makes your offense unguardable no matter what the defensive rules.

I don’t feel like the league was unbalanced last year. 108 average ORTG is basically just back to where we were in the 80s. Playoff series (the competitive ones) still saw plenty of effective defense.

But this is out of control because the league offense was normalizing (average in 18 was actually lower than 17) but this freedom of movement is a shot in the arm. The rule just needs to go. If playoff blowouts were bad this year it’s going to be embarrassing when dudes like JJ Redick score in the 30s or Curry hits 12/17 from three against a top defense.
Zeitgeister
General Manager
And1: 5,902

Post#472 » by Zeitgeister » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:23 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:This Minnesota situation is wild. I can’t remember a time when public perception has shifted so rapidly. 3 weeks ago Butler was the worst teammate in history and now all of a sudden people are seeing the real Towns come out.

I just don’t even know what to say. I’m sorry for Minnesota. But after this series of events I just don’t see how you can envision Towns as a cornerstone. The dude does not seem to be cut out for stardom in this league.

Even three weeks ago, Towns said he wasn't going to sign an extension until the Butler situation "was handled". I don't know if he's just pouting now that Butler might be on the team for at least half the season, if not the whole year. I don't even know what to make of their issue with each other. I can understand Butler being pissed because Towns is an awful defender but it has always seemed like KAT was a bit mentally fragile or something. He'd often get overly excited at the beginning of seasons and play like crap because he was nervous or something. Then of course the way he played against Houston was not a great start.

A lot of Wolves fans complain that Thibs isn't getting Towns involved enough in the offense, which I do think there's some argument there but Towns can be a lot more assertive himself as well.

Some Wolves fans seem to think that Thibs and Butler are entirely to blame and want both gone as soon as possible while the national perception is largely that Towns is soft.
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
JulesWinnfield
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,354

Post#473 » by JulesWinnfield » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:34 pm

Blake Griffin is 15/23 from downtown this season.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#474 » by Colbinii » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:27 pm

JulesWinnfield wrote:Blake Griffin is 15/23 from downtown this season.

Downtown Detroit?

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#475 » by MisterHibachi » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:12 am

I know we say this every year, but the Raptors really are legit this year, right.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,890

Post#476 » by eminence » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:25 am

DJ 26/30 from the line so far this season is pretty nuts.
I bought a boat.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager

Post#477 » by Dr Spaceman » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:19 am

MisterHibachi wrote:I know we say this every year, but the Raptors really are legit this year, right.

Well they have Kawhi Leonard now which chamges things.

Honestly the core of the team is completely different now that the support guys are aging into their primes and Lowry no longer has to be the main focus of defensive attention. And if the game keeps being called the way it is Lowry might not miss another three until 2023.

The Kawhi addition changes enough for me that I’m not just gonna rely on the “Toronto always collapses” heuristic.
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,278

Post#478 » by ardee » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:43 am

Is this the hottest streak Durant and Curry have had as teammates? Both are pretty unreal atm. But I guess they have to be because the rest of the offensive players who you'd normally expect help from can't buy a bucket.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,784

Post#479 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:53 pm

eminence wrote:DJ 26/30 from the line so far this season is pretty nuts.

Don't know if you've caught any Dallas games, but his form looks like he should be getting good results as well---obviously this isn't sustainable, but it does look like he won't be a hack victim this year.

It's remarkable and a real indictment on Rivers and his staff if Dallas could "fix" him this quickly.

Now if only Luka could hit his....
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,890

Post#480 » by eminence » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:00 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
eminence wrote:DJ 26/30 from the line so far this season is pretty nuts.

Don't know if you've caught any Dallas games, but his form looks like he should be getting good results as well---obviously this isn't sustainable, but it does look like he won't be a hack victim this year.

It's remarkable and a real indictment on Rivers and his staff if Dallas could "fix" him this quickly.

Now if only Luka could hit his....

Yep, caught them vs the Hawks and vs the Jazz. Thought the young guys (DSJ/Luka) looked pretty promising in both games. Wish y'all had Luka trying to make plays for others a bit more.
I bought a boat.

Return to Player Comparisons