Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,473

Re: 2018-19 Player of the Year Discussion Thread 

Post#541 » by Colbinii » Tue May 21, 2019 1:53 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:I'd put Jokic over Harden to be honest.. his boxscore undermines how much he carries a team that isn't that talented. I don't think any of the starters on the nuggets are all that great, including jamal murray - the rockets cast is much better when they're healthy.

But Jokic did it all, and his game translated fine in the playoffs albeit he wasn't up against great defenses.

My top 6 in some order is Curry, Durant, Harden, Giannis, Jokic and Leonard.

i'm still not comfortable to how these awards are directly lead by win bias. why can't someone who gets eliminated in the 2nd round be the player of the year? i'm just not seeing how the year to year results aren't any different from the results we would get if this were in the general section. I especially saw this in the retro player of the year, if you're not a finalist or an official mvp (usually when theres lack of multiple superstars in the finals) then theres no chance it seems.

KG was POY from 02-05, of course they can get eliminated early...
I am talking about who the board selects as POY, not an individuals ballot. KG was only dubbed (R)POY in 2004, which is pretty atypical. Shaq was POY in 02, and Duncan was POY in 03, 05 - again, if you had this poll in the gen boards, it'd pretty much go exactly like that. It's really ring oriented, we've seen post for weeks now saying player A can be POY if they get this far or win a ring, that seems like win bias to me (if it isn't, then what is it?).

I'm joking about the Kg thing, but I dont think it is necessarily winning bias.

The Warriors are crushing because of Curry and Green, so stating "If the Warriors win the ship with Curry playing like this then he deserves POY" isn't winning bias, it's based on the fact that people [I assume you are referencing Doc MJ] believe Curry could have done this all season but didn't need to.

Does it make it fair? Hard to say. Is it a strong argument? Absolutely. Curry and Green sacrificed a ton for Durant.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,815

Post#542 » by HeartBreakKid » Tue May 21, 2019 1:59 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:I'd put Jokic over Harden to be honest.. his boxscore undermines how much he carries a team that isn't that talented. I don't think any of the starters on the nuggets are all that great, including jamal murray - the rockets cast is much better when they're healthy.

But Jokic did it all, and his game translated fine in the playoffs albeit he wasn't up against great defenses.

i'm still not comfortable to how these awards are directly lead by win bias. why can't someone who gets eliminated in the 2nd round be the player of the year? i'm just not seeing how the year to year results aren't any different from the results we would get if this were in the general section. I especially saw this in the retro player of the year, if you're not a finalist or an official mvp (usually when theres lack of multiple superstars in the finals) then theres no chance it seems.

Love the impassioned case for Jokic. He’s been my favorite player to watch since Durant went to Oakland. Would certainly feel positive giving him some official love.

I like that you’re not comfortable with the win bias. That’s a good thing you’re actively trying to combat that.

I think what I’d acknowledge is that any season award gets influence by season narrative, and aside from the need to try to check that, I’d emphasize the importance of not getting chained to MVP/POY accolade consideration when actually ranking careers.

Do I think that Garnett had a great case for POY in 2006? No.

Do I hold it against Garnett that he was out of the POY the running in during a stretch of his prime when I think he could have been a serious contender on another team? Also no.

Back to POY: I’m try to tone it down with the narrative stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

I agree, it can be quite hard to differentiate between players that are in crappy situations and players that are in great ones. But what about say, 05 Kevin Garnett? He really is just as good, if not better than he was in 2004. But he can't be given POY because he did not make it to the playoffs (his team still had a winning record despite all the declines). Someone like Steve Nash has a superior narrative, but is likely an inferior player that year (I'd have to prove it, but let's just assume that is semi-true).

Maybe better examples of this is when I was reading some of the retro players of the years and the 70s selections seemed a bit off. By my calculations, Kareem probably should have gotten 9/10 of the 70s POY.

Dr.J was the only other guy that got POY, and it was given to his 76 season which often gets chalked up as "his year", but I really think he had a much better argument in 75, but that's not a sexy season because he did not win a title that year (got eliminated in round 2 if I can recall) while Rick Barry did. Dr.J still had an amazing season in 75, which was a more competitive league than the ABA was in 76 (the narrative seems to be that because it's the final ABA season it is the most important, but I believe we overlook that teams were folding mid season), but J's story sounds better in 76, and Barry's story sounds better in 75. Kareem probably should have been higher on the ballot than Barry was in 75.

Someone like Rick Barry might have only been the 3rd best player that year, but it's not like the 3rd best player is incapable of winning a championship. Even on this board where we try to think harder I still think we fall into the trap that the best players win the hardware or at least come close to.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#543 » by HeartBreakKid » Tue May 21, 2019 2:00 am

Colbinii wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
KG was POY from 02-05, of course they can get eliminated early...
I am talking about who the board selects as POY, not an individuals ballot. KG was only dubbed (R)POY in 2004, which is pretty atypical. Shaq was POY in 02, and Duncan was POY in 03, 05 - again, if you had this poll in the gen boards, it'd pretty much go exactly like that. It's really ring oriented, we've seen post for weeks now saying player A can be POY if they get this far or win a ring, that seems like win bias to me (if it isn't, then what is it?).

The Warriors are crushing because of Curry and Green, so stating "If the Warriors win the ship with Curry playing like this then he deserves POY" isn't winning bias, it's based on the fact that people [I assume you are referencing Doc MJ] believe Curry could have done this all season but didn't need to.

Does it make it fair? Hard to say. Is it a strong argument? Absolutely. Curry and Green sacrificed a ton for Durant.

It's not Dr.MJ I am targeting(he's hardly the only one in the past recent pages that have said something akin to this), many people here use these arguments and have been doing so for the past decade. That's the thing, I don't actually think people are using that logic - that if Curry wins the title, he proved he could have done this if Durant wasn't holding him back - I am not convinced at all that most people are assessing in that manner.

Many say things like they look at the season as a whole, and that things like minutes of quality play and all that matter - yet in 2016 Stephen Curry was so dominant that posters said no matter what happens he will be POY. This was not only said by (multiple) posters in at the end of the RS, but even before the finals had begun (when Curry's PS stats may have taken a slight dip), the census was that Curry had clinched it, yet James beating him retconned everyones thoughts.

I legitimately think that if James had played the exact way, but say, his team lost by a couple of points in a 7 game series (very likely scenario as we all know how thin the margin of error was), that Curry would have been POY or at the very least the ballots would have been much closer - that to me is winning bias.

That's not to say that it is blind winning bias, clearly people here put much thought and reasoning into their votes still - I just think it's not enough for them to look past the winning bias. I feel like a lot of the times the unsexy vote is the right vote, and I just think POY is usually so lopsided for the sexy vote that narrative is playing a big part.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,473

Post#544 » by Colbinii » Tue May 21, 2019 2:04 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote: I am talking about who the board selects as POY, not an individuals ballot. KG was only dubbed (R)POY in 2004, which is pretty atypical. Shaq was POY in 02, and Duncan was POY in 03, 05 - again, if you had this poll in the gen boards, it'd pretty much go exactly like that. It's really ring oriented, we've seen post for weeks now saying player A can be POY if they get this far or win a ring, that seems like win bias to me (if it isn't, then what is it?).

It's not Dr.MJ I am targeting, many people here use these arguments and have been doing so for the past decade. That's the thing, I don't actually think people are using that logic - that if Curry wins the title, he proved he could have done this if Durant wasn't holding him back - I am not convinced at all that most people are assessing in that manner.

For me personally I absolutely hold missing games against players. I did so for 2016 Curry and I will be doing the same for 2019 Durant/George.

You are right. If you look at most people's top 4 its players from the 4 teams left give or take Lillard [who does not belong on the list, he beat a Nuggets team who had a worse supporting cast than his while Lillard wasn't the best player for his team] and George/Jokic.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,707

Post#545 » by Doctor MJ » Tue May 21, 2019 4:34 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

Love the impassioned case for Jokic. He’s been my favorite player to watch since Durant went to Oakland. Would certainly feel positive giving him some official love.

I like that you’re not comfortable with the win bias. That’s a good thing you’re actively trying to combat that.

I think what I’d acknowledge is that any season award gets influence by season narrative, and aside from the need to try to check that, I’d emphasize the importance of not getting chained to MVP/POY accolade consideration when actually ranking careers.

Do I think that Garnett had a great case for POY in 2006? No.

Do I hold it against Garnett that he was out of the POY the running in during a stretch of his prime when I think he could have been a serious contender on another team? Also no.

Back to POY: I’m try to tone it down with the narrative stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

I agree, it can be quite hard to differentiate between players that are in crappy situations and players that are in great ones. But what about say, 05 Kevin Garnett? He really is just as good, if not better than he was in 2004. But he can't be given POY because he did not make it to the playoffs (his team still had a winning record despite all the declines). Someone like Steve Nash has a superior narrative, but is likely an inferior player that year (I'd have to prove it, but let's just assume that is semi-true).

Maybe better examples of this is when I was reading some of the retro players of the years and the 70s selections seemed a bit off. By my calculations, Kareem probably should have gotten 9/10 of the 70s POY.

Dr.J was the only other guy that got POY, and it was given to his 76 season which often gets chalked up as "his year", but I really think he had a much better argument in 75, but that's not a sexy season because he did not win a title that year (got eliminated in round 2 if I can recall) while Rick Barry did. Dr.J still had an amazing season in 75, which was a more competitive league than the ABA was in 76 (the narrative seems to be that because it's the final ABA season it is the most important, but I believe we overlook that teams were folding mid season), but J's story sounds better in 76, and Barry's story sounds better in 75. Kareem probably should have been higher on the ballot than Barry was in 75.

Someone like Rick Barry might have only been the 3rd best player that year, but it's not like the 3rd best player is incapable of winning a championship. Even on this board where we try to think harder I still think we fall into the trap that the best players win the hardware or at least come close to.

KG going from '04 to '05 saw his On court +/- go way down and his Off go way up. By all +/- impact studies he was considerably less effective in '05 than '04.

So the thing is: We're not just talking about "weaker supporting cast, weaker team result, but everything about the player is the same". Context shifts, the things that were working before stop working and the player's impact literally wanes a good deal. Are you going to try to normalize for all of that to ensure that the POY goes to the "best" player every year?

My conclusion is that "best player" evaluations are much harder to pin down and best left for multi-year holistic analysis. In a given year, what we can look at is how the player achieved what he did, and look at the various stats and team accomplishments to provide context for the scale of the achievement.

I don't feel comfortable arguing for '05 KG as a major POY candidate because I know how much of that leans on blaming context for the fact that he wasn't actually able to achieve the lift he normally achieves. But at the same time, I don't hold that ephemeral lack of lift against KG when I evaluate his career. There's no doubt to me that '05 KG could have had an MVP year and that tells me stuff about his prime capability and adds to his longevity. But I'm not going to pretend everything went hunky dory that year, y'know?

Re: Erving. His '76 playoffs were literally the most impressive thing he ever did though. We're not just talking about knocking him in '75 for getting destroyed in the first round against a vastly inferior team, we're talking about the fact that what Erving did in the '76 playoffs was probably more impressive than any other playoff run by any other player the entire decade. The Nets had no business beating the Denver Rockets in those finals, yet they did and Erving played like a god against the best team in the league who would soon enough display the best defense in the entire NBA the following year.

Re: Kareem should win 9 POYs. I didn't understand how Walton could win an MVP over Kareem until I watched them play head to head. It's a Curry vs Durant situation. Walton made Portland play like they did, and it was a better way of playing than how a Kareem-dictated team played. Proactive, energetic, confident. Kareem's teams when he was the dominant stylistic force just didn't work like that, and didn't work that well.

I'm not saying Kareem didn't deserve a lot of POYs, but Kareem was an individualist in a team game and the shape of his impact followed from that. Additive rather than multiplicative. Big, but able to be surpassed by the type of star who made his team catch fire, and also something that seemed to get weighed down when Kareem wasn't in his best mental place. And part of that specifically were the cluster headaches that afflicted him in ways a stuffy nose just doesn't an athlete.

Again, not looking to deny narrative impact here, but it's one thing to say we shouldn't count series victories and quite another thing to ignore the fact that monster performances in the biggest stage are what define the legacies of all these players, and so the literal weight of the playoff series is so high that narrative center of mass simply has to be based around them.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#546 » by Doctor MJ » Tue May 21, 2019 4:49 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote: I am talking about who the board selects as POY, not an individuals ballot. KG was only dubbed (R)POY in 2004, which is pretty atypical. Shaq was POY in 02, and Duncan was POY in 03, 05 - again, if you had this poll in the gen boards, it'd pretty much go exactly like that. It's really ring oriented, we've seen post for weeks now saying player A can be POY if they get this far or win a ring, that seems like win bias to me (if it isn't, then what is it?).

It's not Dr.MJ I am targeting(he's hardly the only one in the past recent pages that have said something akin to this), many people here use these arguments and have been doing so for the past decade. That's the thing, I don't actually think people are using that logic - that if Curry wins the title, he proved he could have done this if Durant wasn't holding him back - I am not convinced at all that most people are assessing in that manner.

Many say things like they look at the season as a whole, and that things like minutes of quality play and all that matter - yet in 2016 Stephen Curry was so dominant that posters said no matter what happens he will be POY. This was not only said by (multiple) posters in at the end of the RS, but even before the finals had begun (when Curry's PS stats may have taken a slight dip), the census was that Curry had clinched it, yet James beating him retconned everyones thoughts.

I legitimately think that if James had played the exact way, but say, his team lost by a couple of points in a 7 game series (very likely scenario as we all know how thin the margin of error was), that Curry would have been POY or at the very least the ballots would have been much closer - that to me is winning bias.

That's not to say that it is blind winning bias, clearly people here put much thought and reasoning into their votes still - I just think it's not enough for them to look past the winning bias. I feel like a lot of the times the unsexy vote is the right vote, and I just think POY is usually so lopsided for the sexy vote that narrative is playing a big part.

I'm actually totally fine if you say Curry deserves POY for '16, but the fact remains that LeBron outplayed Curry on the grandest stage, this led to LeBron's team winning, and this led to the entire world regaining confidence in the idea that LeBron was the king of the sport still...

a title he would keep through 2018 and may get back again in the future.

You can talk all you want about the importance of the 82 game season, but the reality is that legacy in the NBA is defined in the playoffs, the players know this, and they place their focus accordingly.

And this puts us all in the awkward position of how to judge players who were weaker in the regular season but stronger in the playoffs.

Giannis has a better MVP candidacy than Kawhi and it's not close, so it goes without saying that Giannis will get the POY nod over Kawhi unless Kawhi surpasses him.

If Kawhi seems to be better when they play head to head, and Kawhi's team wins, most would take that as "He was the better player on the big stage" and vote accordingly.

What do you do though if Kawhi seems better but his team still loses. Exactly how much more impressive does Kawhi need to be in an 7 game series to make up for an inferior regular season?

The series victory provides a watershed with objective meaning that a loss just doesn't. Someone can decide Kawhi's performance in a losing role is enough of course, but what precisely put him over the hump? His 107th point? His 9th steal?

ElGee and I have had conversations based around his algorithmic Top 40 which he purposefully kept as vanilla as possible. Using his methods (which to be clear he doesn't defend religiously, he wanted the vanilla so others could use it as a base), if LeBron just had enough '18-19 performances, he'll eventually be the GOAT.

For me it just doesn't work like that. You don't win the GOAT in a year where your only real accomplishment was giving your team worse lottery odds. Not the first time you do it, or the second, or the 85th. You're spinning your wheels and the fact that we can count up your points doesn't change that.

PCProductions
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,989

Post#547 » by PCProductions » Tue May 21, 2019 4:50 am

KD's playoff On/Off plummeting in his absence is truly fascinating. Really puts into perspective how shallow On/Off can be. I don't have anything more insight to say than that but it really was an eye opener for me personally.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,590

Post#548 » by GSP » Tue May 21, 2019 4:57 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
No-more-rings wrote:My top 5 would probably be this for now. Kind of hard to see it changing too, maybe Curry can move up a spot or 2, I just think Kawhi missing like 20 games would make it nearly impossible to jump ahead of Giannis even if he has been a little better in the playoffs.

If Kawhi outplays Giannis and Toronto beats Milwaukee, I think Kawhi will get the nod over Giannis without anyone really caring about the regular season "3 day weekends" Kawhi took.

Bigger implication? If Kawhi were to lead Toronto to the title this year, the NBA would panic that all the other stars would sit out a similar number of games...because they would now feel foolish not to. The cool part of that is it might be the thing that gets the NBA to seriously consider reducing the number of regular season games.

Raptors were 17-5 without Kawhi and still managed Hca over everyone besides Milwaukee

i dont think its feasible for star players to be sitting out 20+ games as a trend or we're gonna have some really weird seedings and implications for Hca. Raptors already had a system in place pre Kawhi even with Demar gone with their ball movement (similar to Warriors without Kd). Most teams arent gonna be like that
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#549 » by Doctor MJ » Tue May 21, 2019 4:57 am

PCProductions wrote:KD's playoff On/Off plummeting in his absence is truly fascinating. Really puts into perspective how shallow On/Off can be. I don't have anything more insight to say than that but it really was an eye opener for me personally.

Definitely, and let's note that it's the Off part, with it's tiny sample that is the thing to be really suspect of both for him and Curry and everyone else.

More broadly, this is something I first started noticing with Chris Paul. His on/off was always great, but his teammates seemed stagnant and when he was gone for later the fall off wasn't as bad as you'd think it would be. Didn't mean he wasn't great, but there's a difference between having your team fall off in the downtime you catch a breather as opposed to seeing your team unable to function at all for the rest of the season.

In Golden State's case they didn't even need time for a new strategy, they just needed to know that deferring to Durant was no longer an option and they showed something far more potent than they'd be doing when Durant took a breather.

Incidentally I think the #1 guy along these lines right now is Joel Embiid. Everyone's talking about how horrible the team is when he goes to the bench, but quite literally you could have a team with Ben Simmons and a bunch of shooters and they'd be awesome.The issue isn't that his teammates suck without him, the issues is that the Embiid-focused strategy doesn't degrade gracefully when his void appears.

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#550 » by Doctor MJ » Tue May 21, 2019 4:59 am

GSP wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
No-more-rings wrote:My top 5 would probably be this for now. Kind of hard to see it changing too, maybe Curry can move up a spot or 2, I just think Kawhi missing like 20 games would make it nearly impossible to jump ahead of Giannis even if he has been a little better in the playoffs.

If Kawhi outplays Giannis and Toronto beats Milwaukee, I think Kawhi will get the nod over Giannis without anyone really caring about the regular season "3 day weekends" Kawhi took.

Bigger implication? If Kawhi were to lead Toronto to the title this year, the NBA would panic that all the other stars would sit out a similar number of games...because they would now feel foolish not to. The cool part of that is it might be the thing that gets the NBA to seriously consider reducing the number of regular season games.

Raptors were 17-5 without Kawhi and still managed Hca over everyone besides Milwaukee

i dont think its feasible for star players to be sitting out 20+ games as a trend or we're gonna have some really weird seedings and implications for Hca

That would matter a lot more in a sport where you can be straight mediocre through the regular season and still make the playoffs.

Similar HCA would matter more in a sport where we didn't see 6 seeds win the title, and defending champions regularly not seem to care about HCA.

You're quite right though that Toronto did very well without Kawhi, and had they done less well, he probably plays more.

HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#551 » by HeartBreakKid » Tue May 21, 2019 5:19 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
KG going from '04 to '05 saw his On court +/- go way down and his Off go way up. By all +/- impact studies he was considerably less effective in '05 than '04.
I''m not sure if on/off is the best indicator - but I've stumbled into this conundrum before while assessing KG (and Duncan).

To me, Kevin Garnett's 3 "main years" when he's really in his peak is 2003, 2004 and 2005.

You are right in that 2005 his impact stats are not as good as 2004. However, in 2003, his impact stats are the best in the NBA - that is quintessential high +/- KG and I still feel like people are scared to say Kevin Garnett was better than Tim Duncan in 2003. I ask myself all the time - do I really have Duncan as the best player in 03 because I truly think this or because I am just following everyone else?

I mean, Tim Duncan won a championship with a non star studded team while KG was bumped in the first round, however - Duncan's "bad" team wasn't actually bad relative to KG's, it was superior and much better coached (some how this gets lost in the shuffle, the Spurs were just a more efficient machine than pretty much any version of the Timberwolves even 04).

Even in the playoffs Kevin Garnett was good in 2003 - if we want to cut it down to just first round performances so the sample sizes are even, KG in 03 (27/16/5, 51%/60%, 5 FTA, 3 TOV) still looks a bit better looking than Duncan in 03 ( 19/16/5, 52%/69%, 9 FTA, 3.7 TOV, 3.5 BLK) or KG in 04 for that matter (26/15/7, 45%/71%, 8.5 FTA, 4.5 tov).

But perhaps the greater point is this - what are really the two big Kevin Garnett years? The two years where he is most accomplished from a narrative stand point? 2004 (his MVP season) and 2008 (his championship season).

What are the only two years Kevin Garnett ever won POY? 2004 and 2008 (and really, in 2008 he was hardly the only candidate). Kevin Garnett was a better player in Minnesota than he was in Boston, and the level of competition wasn't really worse in the 00s than what he faced in 08 yet he still won POY.

Tim Duncan is an even greater example.

The years Tim Duncan won a championship as the 'guy' were 1999, 2003, 2005 and 2007.

The years he won the retro player of the year were 1999, 2003, 2005, 2007.

Isn't that a bit too much of a coincidence? Was Tim Duncan really better in 1999 than he was in 2002? That's incredibly hard for me to believe (just glancing, he was better in 02 than in 99) - and his competition Shaq in 1999 was worse than he was in 2002? (offensively sure, but defense and games played - nope, seems like 99 Shaq was better than 02 Shaq). That's equally as hard for me to believe.

The narratives around Duncan, Shaq and Garnett getting POYs are highly tied to the years they won big accolades, the correlation is as high as you could possibly get actually.

So the thing is: We're not just talking about "weaker supporting cast, weaker team result, but everything about the player is the same". Context shifts, the things that were working before stop working and the player's impact literally wanes a good deal. Are you going to try to normalize for all of that to ensure that the POY goes to the "best" player every year?

My conclusion is that "best player" evaluations are much harder to pin down and best left for multi-year holistic analysis. In a given year, what we can look at is how the player achieved what he did, and look at the various stats and team accomplishments to provide context for the scale of the achievement.
Why not try? It should be a difficult thing to assess, not an easy thing.

Re: Erving. His '76 playoffs were literally the most impressive thing he ever did though. We're not just talking about knocking him in '75 for getting destroyed in the first round against a vastly inferior team, we're talking about the fact that what Erving did in the '76 playoffs was probably more impressive than any other playoff run by any other player the entire decade. The Nets had no business beating the Denver Rockets in those finals, yet they did and Erving played like a god against the best team in the league who would soon enough display the best defense in the entire NBA the following year.
But we are also talking about 76 Erving going against 76 Kareem - 76 Kareem had a much better year than he did in 75. However, Kareem did not even make the playoffs that year (but famously won MVP despite not making the post season).

Julius Erving being superior to Kareem Abdul-Jabar doesn't sound that accurate to me, it sounds like that's just the year he's "supposed" to win it.

Julius Erving in 75 won the MVP in the RS - but was upset in the post season, so yes, I would also argue that his season might not have been as good as his 76 season. However, his competition in 75 was iwaaaay nferior - Rick Barry is really not that great of a player, and that was a year where everyone was giving their votes to Bob McAdoo (he placed second). Julius Erving is not an inferior player to Rick Barry, much less Bob McAdoo.

The highest placing ABA player that year in 1975? Artis Gilmore. Who won the ABA Championship that year? The Kentucky Colonels.

Dr.J was in his peak for 1975, he very much was the same player as he was in 76 - his sample size over his MVP RS kind of points to this. I hate to use the "no one at the time argument thought this" - but, well, I don't think anyone in 1975 thought Artis Gilmore was better than Dr.J.

Dr.J had the best RS of his career in 1975, and had already been an ABA champion the year right before so it's not like he was an RS darling - everyone already knew his play was not empy, it transfers over into post season play and not only did he not win RPOY, he placed 4th place behind Rick Barry, Bob McAdoo and Artis Gilmore. I would argue it is very hard that one of those guys was better than Dr.J that year, but all three? Almost zero chance.

Re: Kareem should win 9 POYs. I didn't understand how Walton could win an MVP over Kareem until I watched them play head to head. It's a Curry vs Durant situation. Walton made Portland play like they did, and it was a better way of playing than how a Kareem-dictated team played. Proactive, energetic, confident. Kareem's teams when he was the dominant stylistic force just didn't work like that, and didn't work that well.

I'm not saying Kareem didn't deserve a lot of POYs, but Kareem was an individualist in a team game and the shape of his impact followed from that. Additive rather than multiplicative. Big, but able to be surpassed by the type of star who made his team catch fire, and also something that seemed to get weighed down when Kareem wasn't in his best mental place. And part of that specifically were the cluster headaches that afflicted him in ways a stuffy nose just doesn't an athlete.

Again, not looking to deny narrative impact here, but it's one thing to say we shouldn't count series victories and quite another thing to ignore the fact that monster performances in the biggest stage are what define the legacies of all these players, and so the literal weight of the playoff series is so high that narrative center of mass simply has to be based around them.

Fair enough, though it's worth mentioning Walton didn't get POY. Hey, Kareem did pretty well for himself - he only won like 7 of the POYs, but I'm just saying there's a chance he might have lost one or 2 of them to some guys with sexier stories.

I have no attachment to the 70s, Kareem or Dr.J - I just was reading the RPOY threads in the 70s a month or 2 ago and simply was not all that convinced of the arguments made in some threads. Not saying every post has to be an ElGee book, but a lot of them were kind of just write offs due to lack of success coded in prettier words.
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,502

Post#552 » by Outside » Tue May 21, 2019 6:27 am

Giannis is a clear number one at this point.
I've still got Harden second, but falling.

After that, I've got a group with Paul George, Kawhi, Durant, Curry, and Jokic. Interesting narratives for each, ebbs and flows. We'll see how the rest of the postseason plays out. Lillard falls out of this tier for me.
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,162

Post#553 » by iggymcfrack » Tue May 21, 2019 7:10 am

I feel pretty good about:

1. Giannis (super elite in both RS and postseason)
2. Kawhi (best player right now but barely and he did kinda vacation through the regular season)
3. Harden (mega-elite near MVP level regular season combined with very solid playoffs)

After that, it’s pretty wide open. I feel like George, Jokic, AD, Curry, Durant, and Embiid all have decent cases for #4.
iggymcfrack
RealGM

Post#554 » by iggymcfrack » Tue May 21, 2019 7:27 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
I''m not sure if on/off is the best indicator - but I've stumbled into this conundrum before while assessing KG (and Duncan).

To me, Kevin Garnett's 3 "main years" when he's really in his peak is 2003, 2004 and 2005.

You are right in that 2005 his impact stats are not as good as 2004. However, in 2003, his impact stats are the best in the NBA - that is quintessential high +/- KG and I still feel like people are scared to say Kevin Garnett was better than Tim Duncan in 2003. I ask myself all the time - do I really have Duncan as the best player in 03 because I truly think this or because I am just following everyone else?

I mean, Tim Duncan won a championship with a non star studded team while KG was bumped in the first round, however - Duncan's "bad" team wasn't actually bad relative to KG's, it was superior and much better coached (some how this gets lost in the shuffle, the Spurs were just a more efficient machine than pretty much any version of the Timberwolves even 04).

Even in the playoffs Kevin Garnett was good in 2003 - if we want to cut it down to just first round performances so the sample sizes are even, KG in 03 (27/16/5, 51%/60%, 5 FTA, 3 TOV) still looks a bit better looking than Duncan in 03 ( 19/16/5, 52%/69%, 9 FTA, 3.7 TOV, 3.5 BLK) or KG in 04 for that matter (26/15/7, 45%/71%, 8.5 FTA, 4.5 tov).

But perhaps the greater point is this - what are really the two big Kevin Garnett years? The two years where he is most accomplished from a narrative stand point? 2004 (his MVP season) and 2008 (his championship season).

What are the only two years Kevin Garnett ever won POY? 2004 and 2008 (and really, in 2008 he was hardly the only candidate). Kevin Garnett was a better player in Minnesota than he was in Boston, and the level of competition wasn't really worse in the 00s than what he faced in 08 yet he still won POY.

The years Tim Duncan won a championship as the 'guy' were 1999, 2003, 2005 and 2007.

Isn't that a bit too much of a coincidence? Was Tim Duncan really better in 1999 than he was in 2002? That's incredibly hard for me to believe (just glancing, he was better in 02 than in 99) - and his competition Shaq in 1999 was worse than he was in 2002? (offensively sure, but defense and games played - nope, seems like 99 Shaq was better than 02 Shaq). That's equally as hard for me to believe.

The narratives around Duncan, Shaq and Garnett getting POYs are highly tied to the years they won big accolades, the correlation is as high as you could possibly get actually.

But we are also talking about 76 Erving going against 76 Kareem - 76 Kareem had a much better year than he did in 75. However, Kareem did not even make the playoffs that year (but famously won MVP despite not making the post season).

Julius Erving being superior to Kareem Abdul-Jabar doesn't sound that accurate to me, it sounds like that's just the year he's "supposed" to win it.

Julius Erving in 75 won the MVP in the RS - but was upset in the post season, so yes, I would also argue that his season might not have been as good as his 76 season. However, his competition in 75 was iwaaaay nferior - Rick Barry is really not that great of a player, and that was a year where everyone was giving their votes to Bob McAdoo (he placed second). Julius Erving is not an inferior player to Rick Barry, much less Bob McAdoo.

The highest placing ABA player that year in 1975? Artis Gilmore. Who won the ABA Championship that year? The Kentucky Colonels.

Dr.J was in his peak for 1975, he very much was the same player as he was in 76 - his sample size over his MVP RS kind of points to this. I hate to use the "no one at the time argument thought this" - but, well, I don't think anyone in 1975 thought Artis Gilmore was better than Dr.J.

Dr.J had the best RS of his career in 1975, and had already been an ABA champion the year right before so it's not like he was an RS darling - everyone already knew his play was not empy, it transfers over into post season play and not only did he not win RPOY, he placed 4th place behind Rick Barry, Bob McAdoo and Artis Gilmore. I would argue it is very hard that one of those guys was better than Dr.J that year, but all three? Almost zero chance.

Fair enough, though it's worth mentioning Walton didn't get POY. Hey, Kareem did pretty well for himself - he only won like 7 of the POYs, but I'm just saying there's a chance he might have lost one or 2 of them to some guys with sexier stories.

I have no attachment to the 70s, Kareem or Dr.J - I just was reading the RPOY threads in the 70s a month or 2 ago and simply was not all that convinced of the arguments made in some threads. Not saying every post has to be an ElGee book, but a lot of them were kind of just write offs due to lack of success coded in prettier words.

FWIW the correlation between leading the league in RAPM and winning POY is even higher than the ring correlation.

Here are all the PI RAPM leaders from the 97-14 RAPM sample:

2002: Shaq (won ring and POY)
2003: KG (didn’t win ring or POY)
2004: KG (didn’t win ring, won POY)
2005: Manu (won ring, didn’t win POY)
2006: Wade (won ring and POY)
2007: Duncan (won ring and POY)
2008: KG (won ring and POY)
2009: LeBron (didn’t win ring, won POY)
2010: LeBron (didn’t win ring, won POY)
2011: Dirk (won ring and POY)
2013: LeBron (won ring and POY)

So 3 of the 4 RAPM leaders that didn’t win rings in that dataset still won POY. KG in 2003 was the one exception. And that was due to Duncan putting up an all-time playoff run where he had a 28.4 PER, played elite defense, had an on/off +23.1, and eliminated the 3-peat Lakers in 5 games. I think that’s pretty fair.

If you try using RPM the following years, both times the RPM leader failed to win a ring (Bron in 2017 and 2018), he still won POY. I think people did a pretty damn good job being objective in the RPOY project. I agree with almost every single year since 2000. There’s always always going to be a little bit of “winning bias” when polling a large number of people, but it was kept in check about as good as it possibly could be in these votes.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#555 » by HeartBreakKid » Tue May 21, 2019 7:57 am

iggymcfrack wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

FWIW the correlation between leading the league in RAPM and winning POY is even higher than the ring correlation.

So 3 of the 4 RAPM leaders that didn’t win rings in that dataset still won POY. KG in 2003 was the one exception. And that was due to Duncan putting up an all-time playoff run where he had a 28.4 PER, played elite defense, had an on/off +23.1, and eliminated the 3-peat Lakers in 5 games. I think that’s pretty fair.

If you try using RPM the following years, both times the RPM leader failed to win a ring (Bron in 2017 and 2018), he still won POY. I think people did a pretty damn good job being objective in the RPOY project. I agree with almost every single year since 2000. There’s always always going to be a little bit of “winning bias” when polling a large number of people, but it was kept in check about as good as it possibly could be in these votes.
Yup, you're absolutely correct - but this goes back to my other point, they might need the media to grant them an MVP for us as a whole to feel comfortable giving them the nod of POY.

The 3/4 of the RAPM leaders won POY but no rings - but also 3/4 of those same players won an MVP. The only one that did not get an MVP also did not get a ring (2003 Garnett). The other three are 2004 Garnett (MVP), 2009 LBJ (MVP) and 2010 LBJ (MVP). Could be a coincidence, but it's a lot of coincidences - what if LBJ's regular season story wasn't as sexy and he gets Derrick Rosed that year instead of 2011, him getting bumped in the 2nd round against the Celtics might be too damning for us to think he was POY.

I think some of the LBJ years are interesting because I do feel like LBJ is really given those awards because he is the 'best player' in the league - while other years people will say that POY isn't about finding who the best player.

By the way, according to this site (https://basketball-analytics.gitlab.io/rapm-data/season/2009-10/regular-season/) D Wade and Durant had the best RAPM in 2010. I'm not sure why this differs from this site (https://sites.google.com/site/rapmstats/2010-rapm). The former site does seem to have pretty accurate of the latest years RAPM's rankings if I can recall.

It is also worth noting that if you had chosen a different string of years it would not have looked clean, POY winners and RAPM leaders before 2002 and after 2013 do not correlate nearly as well. That's the most consistent set we could have possibly looked at.

For example, Curry and Green have been leaders in RAPM and the only time one of them has gotten POY was Curry in 2015 (championship year). Like wise players like CP3 have placed very high in RAPM, and have never came close to POY in any year.

Pre 02 you have guys like Wallace, Mourning, O'Neal, Stockton, Dirk placing very high or leading RAPM but none getting POY in those years - they all lose out to the champions in every year.
iggymcfrack
RealGM

Post#556 » by iggymcfrack » Tue May 21, 2019 8:06 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:
iggymcfrack wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote: I''m not sure if on/off is the best indicator - but I've stumbled into this conundrum before while assessing KG (and Duncan).

Yup, you're absolutely correct - but this goes back to my other point, they might need the media to grant them an MVP for us as a whole to feel comfortable giving them the nod of POY.

The 3/4 of the RAPM leaders won POY but no rings - but also 3/4 of those same players won an MVP. The only one that did not get an MVP also did not get a ring (2003 Garnett). The other three are 2004 Garnett (MVP), 2009 LBJ (MVP) and 2010 LBJ (MVP). Could be a coincidence, but it's a lot of coincidences - what if LBJ's narrative wasn't as sexy and he gets Derrick Rosed that year instead of 2011, him getting bumped in the 2nd round against the Celtics might be too damning for us to think he was POY.

I think some of the LBJ years are interesting because I do feel like LBJ is really given those awards because he is the 'best player' in the league - while other years people will say that POY isn't about finding who the best player.

It is worth noting that if you had chosen a different string of years it would not have looked clean, RAPM leaders before 2002 and after 2013 do not correlate nearly as well.

Yeah, I don’t really trust those other RAPM sources as much though. After 2013, I like RPM best which correlates extremely well.
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,278

Post#557 » by ardee » Tue May 21, 2019 11:55 am

GSP wrote:

You remember that discussion we had earlier about Dame having the best series by a PG this decade against OKC?

Yeah I don't think that flies anymore. Steph just did 37/8/7 on 66% TS...
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,651

Post#558 » by 70sFan » Tue May 21, 2019 11:59 am

ardee wrote:
GSP wrote:

You remember that discussion we had earlier about Dame having the best series by a PG this decade against OKC?

Yeah I don't think that flies anymore. Steph just did 37/8/7 on 66% TS...

Dame played against better defensive team though. This Blazers team without Nurkic is nothing good in terms of defense and they don't have good personel to play against Warriors.
MelbourneBuck
Junior
And1: 290

Post#559 » by MelbourneBuck » Tue May 21, 2019 12:06 pm

Joey Wheeler wrote:
Dupp wrote:
Joey Wheeler wrote:Yeah, I don't know how you can conclude Giannis is the best from these playoffs. Kawhi has clearly been better throughout the Eastern playoffs and in this series

How’s he clearly been better this series ?

MelbourneBuck wrote:
Joey Wheeler wrote:Yeah, I don't know how you can conclude Giannis is the best from these playoffs. Kawhi has clearly been better throughout the Eastern playoffs and in this series
Kawhi's been the better scorer and that carries a fair bit of weight but he hasn't been clearly better. Giannis has been pretty inefficient but this is the only game I'd consider poor offensively and his passing, rebounding, defense have all been better than Kawhi's. His defense in particular has been ridiculous and Kawhi, as good as he can be, can't get even approach the impact Giannis has on a teams offense.

His scoring has been incredible. I think only Durant is above him in that regard at the moment and it's not by much. He can score on a high volume and efficiency and is pretty much unstoppable once he gets to his spots. He's also got almost Jordan-like turnover economy considering how much he handles the ball. When you consider both the scoring and turnover economy, there's a great case for Kawhi as the best offensive player in these playoffs. He's certainly clearly above Giannis on offense; Giannis is nowhere near as polished on that end and isn't really a scoring threat outside the paint.

Defensively Kawhi has been excellent too and he's actually been taking on Giannis (successfully) far more than the other way round. Giannis is still better on defense, but the gap is much smaller than on offense.
If we're talking about overall offense we need to consider passing as well. Points created via assist in this series are 17ppg for Giannis vs 7ppg for Kawhi which is a significant difference. Kawhi has been better offensively this series and likely overall but its not like Giannis has been awful in the playoffs. 26ppg at 58% TS% in 33min pg with another 13ppg created via assist is really, really good.

And the difference on defense isnt small. It's no knock on Kawhi but Giannis, due to his size and position, can impact a teams offense much more than Kawhi can. His defensive numbers in this series are more like what you'd expect from a top notch defensive center.

14 drebs per game
3 blks pg
1.3 stls pg
1.7 deflections pg
92 drtg (100 drtg off court)
DFG% 39%
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,889

Post#560 » by eminence » Tue May 21, 2019 2:21 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:That would matter a lot more in a sport where you can be straight mediocre through the regular season and still make the playoffs.

Similar HCA would matter more in a sport where we didn't see 6 seeds win the title, and defending champions regularly not seem to care about HCA.

You're quite right though that Toronto did very well without Kawhi, and had they done less well, he probably plays more.

Not 100% sure I'm reading this right, but I think you should value HCA/high seeds a bit more. In the 40 years of the 3pt line only 6 teams have won multiple series on the road on the way to a title. The '95 Rockets the only team to ever win 3 on the road. Only 3 real 3 seeds or lower have won the title ('95 Rockets, '07 Spurs, '11 Mavs - '02 Lakers/'04 Pistons were technically 3 seeds, but had HCA over the 2 seeds they faced).
I bought a boat.

Return to Player Comparisons