RealGM Top 100 List #47

Moderators: trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0

therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,529

Re: RealGM Top 100 List #47 -- Willis Reed v. Tracy McGrady 

Post#61 » by therealbig3 » Wed Nov 5, 2014 9:09 pm

Chuck Texas wrote:I don't view injuries as just "bad luck" tho. Not when they are that chronic. It's one think to have a serious injury and miss most or all of a year. That stuff is going to happen. But missing double digit games almost every year suggests something different to me and something that should be held against a guy. Because its not like the guys who are playing 75+ year after year after year aren't also dealing with some injuries.

Owly posted something about T-Mac's ankle being inherently flawed. I also remember T-Mac himself saying that he had a structurally flawed back since before he was even drafted, and doctors told him at the time that they didn't expect him to last more than 6-7 years in the league.

I think he had some inherent structural flaws in terms of his body with regards to his ankles and his back which caused him to be injury-prone during his career.

Personally, I don't understand the debate here with regards to T-Mac vs Reed. T-Mac's major flaw is his lack of longevity. That's not a flaw when you're comparing him to Reed. T-Mac was the better player, with a longer prime. What's the issue here?
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 92,419

Post#62 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Nov 5, 2014 9:45 pm

Im not trying to get people to vote for Reed over TMac. I don't feel like either guy belongs this high.

The point I was trying to make was that TMac supporters were suggesting that TMac's lack of team PS success should not be laid at his feet because his numbers are good. I was simply pointing out that some of the reason he missed the playoffs was how many games he personally missed in the RS and that it cost him seeding and HCA and his teams lost several close series including 4v5 matchups on the road and in 2009 his absence cost his team a potential title considering how close they were to beating the Lakers without him.

That's it. I think his playoff resume isn't good enough and I don't think we should look past it because his numbers in the games he does play are good.

Im kinda the only guy it appears who feels like this so I won't harp on it anymore. It makes sense to me, but clearly not everyone feels that way.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Basketballefan
Banned User
And1: 583

Post#63 » by Basketballefan » Wed Nov 5, 2014 10:13 pm

Chuck Texas wrote:Im not trying to get people to vote for Reed over TMac. I don't feel like either guy belongs this high.

The point I was trying to make was that TMac supporters were suggesting that TMac's lack of team PS success should not be laid at his feet because his numbers are good. I was simply pointing out that some of the reason he missed the playoffs was how many games he personally missed in the RS and that it cost him seeding and HCA and his teams lost several close series including 4v5 matchups on the road and in 2009 his absence cost his team a potential title considering how close they were to beating the Lakers without him.

That's it. I think his playoff resume isn't good enough and I don't think we should look past it because his numbers in the games he does play are good.

Im kinda the only guy it appears who feels like this so I won't harp on it anymore. It makes sense to me, but clearly not everyone feels that way.

I feel the same way about tmac's lack of playoff success. Paul is given the same pass, i continuously brought up how Paul couldve done more in the playoffs and all people did was throw his stats in my face and completely ignored that he's had enough help and opportunities to get further than just the 2nd round. He has a top 5 or 10 player in BG, top 5 coach in rivers, great defensive center and good supporting cast and yet he never gets any blame when they lose.

You can't rank players strictly by performance and ignore the outcome.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#64 » by JordansBulls » Wed Nov 5, 2014 10:22 pm

Vote: Willis Reed

Won league mvp, finals mvp in the same year, outplaying prime Wilt Chamberlain in the process. Also won a title for a franchise that never won before.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 9,071

Post#65 » by penbeast0 » Wed Nov 5, 2014 10:45 pm

Tracy McGrady - ronnymac2, E-Balla, john248, SactoKingsFan, Owly

Willis Reed - lukekarts, Clyde Frazier, Moonbeam, DQuinn1575, Chuck Texas, RayBan-Sematra, JordansBulls

Looks like this one goes to the Captain.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.

Return to Player Comparisons