RealGM 2023 Top 100 Project - #28 (Charles Barkley)

Moderators: trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0

HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,821

Re: RealGM 2023 Top 100 Project - #28 (Deadline 5:00AM PST on 9/26/23) 

Post#61 » by HeartBreakKid » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:39 am

rk2023 wrote:For those considering Pettit and Pippen (or either one of them), how far do you see Pettit from Elgin Baylor and how far do you see Pippen from Walt Frazier? I regard both as interesting debates from what I have looked into, so would love to get some intel from those whom may be more well-versed than me.

I actually had not considered Baylor at all.

I do see Pettit as someone who was more effective. Baylor's name aged better in public memory but it's difficult for me to think of any real solid weaknesses in Pettit's game other than he played a long time ago.

As for Frazier vs Pippen, I think Pippen is a bit overrated. Pippen might be the goat perimeter defender but that isn't moving the needle as much as an all time great center. As offensive players I don't think they're that close despite the boxscore numbers. Would seem to me Frazier is more reliable and resilient, maybe due to being a better shooter and handler.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,295

Post#62 » by OhayoKD » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:40 am

f4p wrote:I will copy and paste from the last thread.

Vote: James Harden

So I guess I'll write a Harden post, for whatever reason. It's sad people dislike him so much. For a guy who never got in trouble off the court, said anything bad, or punched people in the nether regions like Chris Paul, and who mostly just stayed to himself, people sure don't like that he drew a lot of fouls. For a guy who started his career coming off the bench for 3 seasons and then worked his way up to a 5-time MVP candidate, people sure do seem to think he's just a partier who didn't try very hard. For a 6'-5", moderately athletic, below average straight-line-speed shooting guard who isn't an all time elite shooter, he sure never gets the "How did he do it with his physical limitations?!!" praise that some other people get. Wonder why that is.

For a guy who averaged 30.7/6.7/5.9 against the 2015/18/19 Warriors, he sure gets a lot of "Worst playoff performer ever!" talk. In fact, I would struggle to name someone so great about whom so little positive is said as James Harden. LIke Lebron has probably gotten more negative attention than anyone in NBA history, but it's balanced with probably the 2nd most positive attention ever as well. But every James Harden story is either outright bad or starts with "He sucks in the playoffs, but man could he...". It's crazy, for a guy 12th all time in MVP shares. For a guy who hard carried a franchise for a decade of almost never missing a game and playing league-leading type minutes, only to have to bash up against a perennial 10 SRS (when they tried) dynasty year after year. Who had his best chance stolen by injury to a teammate. And 2nd best chance stolen by an injury to himself, that he still tried to play through.

MVP guys without an alpha championship - Barkley, Malone, Ewing, Robinson, Harden, Nash, Paul

Is there any argument against Harden having the best "oh so close" championship case with the 2018 Rockets? 4 guys are already in and Barkley looks next. Why is Harden getting inducted behind all these guys? Or at least so far behind them?

Best Team (or best "oh so close" team)
Barkley - 1993 Suns
Malone - 1997 Jazz
Ewing - 1994 Knicks
Robinson - 1995 Spurs
Harden - 2018 Rockets
Nash - 2007 Suns
Paul - 2014 Clippers

Regular Season Quality
Harden: +8.2 SRS - Paul misses 24 games, Harden misses career-high 10 games, Rockets 44-5 with +11.0 SRS in games .

Do you know what the rockets srs was when it was harden and no chris paul?
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 20,302

Post#63 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:35 am

Owly wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
iggymcfrack wrote:
5 of the players that passed him are currently active (Durant, Curry, Paul, Giannis, Jokic). Three of those previously occupied the three spots behind him and two have had meteoric rises winning the last 3 POYs. The only players that really passed him based on changing opinions of the voter base are Nash and Wade.

Stockton’s a much more puzzling case to me as he was also ahead of Nash and Wade last time and he hasn’t even been nominated yet even though the increase in play-by-play data and multi-year RAPM samples should actually make his case much stronger. I don’t get it. He was already borderline top 5 all-time in cumulative career box score metrics, now we get data showing him to display all-time player at ages when even Michael Jordan was meh, and he…. sinks like a stone? Makes no sense to me. You’d think new data and an emphasis on analytics would see Stockton pushing to enter the top 20, not exit the top 30.

I don't want to talk as if I have any definitive answer here - I'm surprised by Stockton falling too.

I will say: Us having access to Stockton's +/- isn't a new thing. We've had access to most of what we currently have for more than a decade, and it's been factored in by folks who want to factor it in several projects ago.

To the extent there's new information, it's the older stuff. We got access to '90s stuff after the '00s stuff, and our early '90s & '80s stuff is still very small sample. I don't know how much this is striking any specific posters as new, but what I will say is that while the '00s stuff supported a case for Stockton > Malone, I'd say that the '90s stuff favors Malone. One might think this is irrelevant because Malone was ahead of Stockton always in this list, but speaking as someone trying to keep an open mind on stuff, I was very much looking to see whether Stockton would continue to have the edge as we went back into the Jazz Golden Age. Had I see data in a glaringly pro-Stockton direction I'd have him ahead of Malone now. Instead I'm all the more settled on Malone being the clear MVP of the team in their contending years.

So my thoughts regarding the last two comments here and Stockton generally without too deep a dive...

Big picture late career Stockton as great impact isn't new: 97-14 had him really strong.

Think I may have done the gist of this before but:
Regarding the later "90s" data as a blow for Stockton
AScreaming ... RAPM
97 NPI
Hornacek 9th 4.98
Malone 14th 4.42
Stockton 19th 3.88

98 NPI
Hornacek 24th 3.06
Malone 5th 4.63
Stockton 4th 4.72

98 PI
Hornacek 12th 4.98
Malone 8th 5.31
Stockton 7th 5.32

99 NPI
Hornacek 31st 2.49
Malone 19th 2.92
Stockton 8th 3.79

99 PI
Hornacek 20th 4.36
Malone 16th 4.58
Stockton 11th 5.14

00 NPI
Hornacek 129th 0.32
Malone 45th 1.96
Stockton 6th 4.75

00 PI
Hornacek 44th 2.61
Malone 19th 1.96
Stockton 8th 6.18

Stockton first all but once, though some are negligible ... but then '97 isn't huge. These are all rate, Stockton plays less minutes.

Mid 90s does give an advantage to Malone, but Stockton's gulf in the small sample versus 76ers data takes a big chunk out of that lead in terms of on-off across the total Pollack dataset [my calcs had JS: 10.12111492 on-off KM: 11.56766594, I can't guarantee that I didn't err there].
(and if generalized from, in a regressed to sustainable way ... and depending where your "mean" is ... could see a big boost to earlier Stockton).

Rise and fall is noisy and subject to voting pool, voting system etc. Stockton had been as low as 31st in 2011 (which would be lower in real terms now) and as high as 21st in '17 [17th in '03 isn't real terms better, I shouldn't think].

Fwiw I lean bullish versus present norms and think the rank upside could be pretty high if one is nudging him up a bit for several years.

I appreciate you fleshing out what you're seeing. I'll lay some stuff out.

I would consider the Jazz a serious contender only in the '90s. Here's the On and On-Off we have for Malone & Stockton:

Regular Season
'93-94:
Malone +7.4, +17.4
Stockton +6.4, +7.3

'94-95:
Malone +10.6, +9.6
Stockton +10.4, +6.4

'95-96:
Stockton +11.5, +14.5
Malone: +10.2, +13.5

'96-97:
Malone: +11.7, +21.9
Stockton: +8.7, +7.6

'97-98:
Malone +9.6, +17.4
Stockton +12.2, +12.4

'98-99:
Malone +10.4, +13.0
Stockton +11.6, +10.5

So in the time we have where the Jazz were an actual contender, Malone has the On/Off advantage in 5 of the 6 seasons, while always playing more minutes.

Over to the playoffs:

1997:
Malone +3.0, +26.6
Stockton -1.9, -2.8

1998:
Malone +1.7, +13.2
Stockton -1.6, -2.4

1999:
Stockton +9.3, +24.4
Malone +3.5, +15.4

Malone with the On-Off edge in 2 of 3 seasons, and by a large margin those 2 seasons. Small sample size of course, but certainly not a reason to erase the regular season trend.

Okay then, considering why we diverge in perspectives:

1. I'm making use of data from '93-94 onward while you're only counting from '96-97 onward. Makes sense why you'd want to hold of doing mid-90s analysis because we don't have the ability to do RAPM mid-90s, but it's not something I put aside.

2. I'm looking specifically at playoff +/- data while RAPMs from the time can't do very well even if the statmaker tries when you're just talking about 3 post-seasons.

3. You're focused on RAPM, which nominally a superior stat to the On & On-Off stuff I'm using, which begs further conversation.

Many have objected to my use of raw +/-, and I do get the concerns, but I do think it tells us some things RAPM doesn't. Is it better than RAPM? Nah, but none of the stats are perfect, and when we don't see alignment between the raw and the regressed, I think we really need to get an explanation for what's going on before we side with one sub-family to overturn what the rest of the data and consensus contemporary opinion was.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,792

Post#64 » by tsherkin » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:36 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:As for Frazier vs Pippen, I think Pippen is a bit overrated. Pippen might be the goat perimeter defender but that isn't moving the needle as much as an all time great center. As offensive players I don't think they're that close despite the boxscore numbers. Would seem to me Frazier is more reliable and resilient, maybe due to being a better shooter and handler.

Pippen's offense (really, I should say "scoring") also isn't that stunning. He was a playoff dropper and he didn't actually have a great shot, plus he was mediocre at best at the line.

Frazier, of course, was quite the opposite and was a playoff riser, and also a high-end non-center defender.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant

Post#65 » by OhayoKD » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:06 am

OldSchoolNoBull wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:
OldSchoolNoBull wrote:
No, the main problem is that several Barkley backers didn't show up to vote the last couple threads. I can think of three people who have been pretty consistent voters up to this point who just didn't vote the last couple threads who in all likelihood would've been Barkley voters. I don't want to name names because that never goes anywhere good, but you can go back and see them voting for Barkley two, three threads ago and see them letting him down the last couple threads with their no-shows. Had they shown, he would've gotten in #26.

I have in the past made very detailed arguments for Barkley, it's just when it's like the tenth time in a row, I lose the motivation to do anything beyond vote and give a one-sentence explanation.

And did any of those detailed arguments actually explain what makes him greater than Harden who actually was on pace to beat the greatest team ever and still got closer with a weaker cast the next year than barkley did vs a much weaker champion in 1993?

This is a ranking. In otherwords you'll have a much better shot at swinging the anti-barkley block if you are making a comparative case. It doesn't really matter what barkley's numbers or skillset is if you can't justify the bit where those number make barkley better than everyone else on the board

I have yet to see anyone do that bit vs Harden who also is a mvp winner, also lost to an eventual champion, also has impressive slashlines, and actually came closer to a 2nd mvp win multiple times than barkley ever did. In fact when i asked someone who was picking barkley over harden why they favored barkley over harden, their response was, "uh i don't really know why"

I didn't specifically compare him to Harden because Harden wasn't on the board back then.

Well, now he's probably barkley's biggest threat. Seems a good time to make that case.
For starters, I'd take issue with "weaker cast". If you're talking about 2017-18, Harden had CP3, Capela(who was putting 24.8/19.4 per 100 on +9.4 rTS), two elite 3D guys in Ariza and Tucker, and Gordon off the bench with 18ppg on +2.2 rTS. I don't know that that's so much worse than KJ/Majerle/Ceballos/Dumas/West/Chambers/Ainge/etc. If anything, a lot of the coverage of the team for those couple years(16-17 and 17-18) was focused, in addition to Harden's individual offensive accomplishments, on the job Morey had done constructing that team.

was referencing 2019 here they lost by an average of 1.7 points a game to the warriors with 4 and a half games of kd. Am completely open to the idea barkley's help explains the gap in team success and then some, but that case has yet to be made.
Anyway - it might surprise you to learn that I don't think the gap between Barkley/Harden is big. They're very similar. Scoring dynamos with other dimensions(Barkley's rebounding, Harden's playmaking/running of offense) who didn't play much defense and who maybe weren't the best locker room guys(though like I said in the last thread, I think that's overblown for Barkley), and who got close but couldn't get the ring.

It doesn't suprise me. Many barkley voters have repeated that line. But you are choosing one over the other even though the other was flatly more successful(something you've referenced before in voting posts.
I can compare them statistically, broadly speaking, and draw the conclusion that it's close.

Sure this seems fine. But if it's within range what breaks the tie for barkley here. You referenced petit as the era-relative best choice but you didn't vote for him presumably because of league-strength. Harden played in a stronger league. You referenced team success with malone, but harden was more successful.

Also seems worth pointing out harden's best years had him staggering with similar players with similar strengths(chris paul, westbrook) which would generally suppress his rapm.

I also think we have a case of conventional box-skew here which becomes apparent iwith your series comparison
Let's look at how they did in the two series you referenced - the 2018 WCF and the 1993 Finals.

Barkley:
21.3 pp36, 10.1 rp36, 4.3 ap36(vs 1.3 to p36)
54.4% TS(the 93 Bulls held opponents to 53.9% TS)

Harden:
27 pp36, 5.3 rp36, 5.7 ap36(vs 4.6 to p36)
53.8% TS(the 18 Warriors held opponents to 53.9% TS)

I'm using per36 because Barkley played a lot more minutes so the numbers would be too skewed otherwise.

Barkley was +0.5% over the opponent's allowed TS, Harden was -0.1% below.
Barkley had a much better a/t ratio.

First off, that is a massive volume disparity. 6 points. Secondly turnover economy is not just a matter of assists and points. Harden was handling the ball far more than barkley was. And if we go by assist percentage we get 35%:15% and 20:6 for Barkley.

Barkley has a better ast:tov on far lower volume even if wee just go by assist% which is obviously misleading when we are talkign about harden in a system where possessions were run nearly entirely through him. Harden was also taking more difficult shots and naturally drawing more defensive attention. I don't really see how production favors chuck here, and notably Harden would proceed have to have 2 progressingly better performances the next two years, including a performance many engines already voted higher would be proud of vs an all-time great lakers defense where he was his own team's spacing more or less and his teammate was reduced to a non-factor by injury.

From my vantage point, harden flat out did more than barkley on what was a signficiantly more impressive team performance.

If these are the highest-profile playoff series of their respective careers, one can make the argument that Barkley played a better series(you can point out that the <1% lower TS is worth the extra six points of volume for Harden, but he gives those points back with the additional turnovers).

You say this like 35:15 is not extremely effecient and harden was not doing more than chuck before assists and points come into play. Harden was ochrestrating everything for his team offensively, chuck was not. I would take harden's "turnover economy" on 35% of his team's assists over chucks's on 20% anyway.
So I can say that Barkley was the more efficient scorer and that he has small playoff edges in BPM and WS/48, and I can also say that Harden has small edges in the regular season equivalents of the latter two, but really the conclusion is that they're pretty close. I can't really make the argument that Barkley is significantly ahead of Harden, but by that token, I don't think you can argue the opposite either.

I think i could argue harden is significantly advantaged outside of the box-score though maybe you can counter with rapm and "barkley defends better", but harden did play in the better league(which seems to at least be a factor), and led better teams which were denied by injury against better opponents. I do think offense would be clearly in harden's favor from a production standpoint though. Especially under antoni when harden practically was the offense from the start of the possession to the end of it. In that context, I think you underrate how effecient he was.

Zooming out a bit - I wouldn't undersell how close the Suns were in that series and how tough they were. It was a crushing loss for them.

Yep, that's fair, my numbers were wrong. It was close, but it was still vs a much weaker opponent than the kd-warriors though I imagine you are not going to dispute harden has the team-success case.

For me the edge between these two in particular comes down to A)I just think Barkley was a better playoff performer, as evidenced by some of the stuff above, B)As great of a scorer as Harden is, I think Barkley was better, C)For the moment, has a bit more longevity, and D)He didn't play with as much talent as Harden did(Harden had early-prime KD, early-prime Westbrook, late-prime CP3, prime Kyrie, and prime Embiid; Barkley had late-prime Moses, almost-done Dr. J, late-prime KJ, late-prime-to-almost-done Hakeem, and almost-done Drexler)
a) I mean in the sepcific series you comapred, i think the advantage is clearly harden's for reasons stated above. Not a fan of how you use turnovers here. Barkley was not orchestrating his offense throughout the possession and 35:15 is very good effeciency.
b) i think i'd favor harden based on shot-difficulty and volume
c) sure
d) Listing teammates isn't a good way to do this. Harden did not play with westbrook and chris paul simulateously. It doesn't really matter he played with both. What would matter is how long he had that calibre of teammate and even then ultimately, the most important indicator is how good the overall cast is. Harden played with multiple of those teammates once when he wasn't near his best.

It's not a justification of anything. I wasn't saying vote for him because he was that high before, I was just pointing out that it's strange that he's falling that much. And it's not just the last project, it's all of them. In 2006/2008/2011/2014/2017/2020, he was always between 19 and 23(5 times between 19 and 21). Yeah, Steph/Giannis/Jokic moved up, but that doesn't explain the rest. This is going to be the lowest Barkley has ever been by at least five spots, and by at least 7-9 spots from most his previous rankings. It's a dramatic fall no matter how you look at it.

It is, but was there a player he lost to he should have clearly won against? You're saying barkley was not significantly better than harden, but barkley being near harden was always going to be a dramatic drop

Kareem - #29
Shaq - #38
David Robinson - #42
Nikola Jokic - #44
Karl Malone - #58
Kevin Garnett - #60
Giannis - #78
Patrick Ewing - #68

To me, for Barkley to be in the Top 25 all-time at his height is enough for me to call him a GOAT-tier rebounder.

Okay but should barkley be rated higher because of his height? Shouldn't that be applied in reverse for his weaknesses?

Also, i will point out that everyone you listed was a big-man who did not get as much help as barkley woyld have gotten in terms of teammates boxing out.

Perfectly willing to concede Harden's advantage as a creator. I just think Barkley has an equally large advantage as a rebounder(on both ends of the court).

Maybe? but i think you might overvalue rebounds in terms of value.
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant

Post#66 » by OhayoKD » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:08 am

tsherkin wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:As for Frazier vs Pippen, I think Pippen is a bit overrated. Pippen might be the goat perimeter defender but that isn't moving the needle as much as an all time great center. As offensive players I don't think they're that close despite the boxscore numbers. Would seem to me Frazier is more reliable and resilient, maybe due to being a better shooter and handler.

Pippen's offense (really, I should say "scoring") also isn't that stunning. He was a playoff dropper and he didn't actually have a great shot, plus he was mediocre at best at the line.

Frazier, of course, was quite the opposite and was a playoff riser, and also a high-end non-center defender.

I mean by pf4's box thing(therefore largely ignoring what he offered as an ochrestrator, defender, and a guy who told teammates where to go on both ends), he's a riser. Add up that the one time he was in the playoffs without jordan his team got better, and I don't think arguing he was a dropper is serious,

He also led two good offenses without jordan and then without jordan and grant. And no, i dont' really care what their rating was in games that didn't include pippen lol

The results just don't lineup. He led a 53-win srs team after filing a trade-request on a team missing its' best and 3rd best player. If it was a guy whose games skewed towards scoring we'd all be very impressed
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#67 » by tsherkin » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:18 am

OhayoKD wrote:I mean by pf4's box thing(therefore largely ignoring what he offered as an ochrestrator, defender, and a guy who told teammates where to go on both ends), he's a riser. He also led two good offenses without jordan and then without jordan and grant. And no, i dont' really care what their rating was in games that dicn't include pippen lol

The results just don't lineup. He led a 53-win srs team after filing a trade-request on a team missing its' best and 3rd best player. If it was a guy whose games skewed towards scoring we'd all be very impressed

I think he did a good job facilitating team offense, that's why I added the little bit about "scoring," because that's specifically what I was talking about.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant

Post#68 » by OhayoKD » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:35 am

tsherkin wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:I mean by pf4's box thing(therefore largely ignoring what he offered as an ochrestrator, defender, and a guy who told teammates where to go on both ends), he's a riser. He also led two good offenses without jordan and then without jordan and grant. And no, i dont' really care what their rating was in games that dicn't include pippen lol

I think he did a good job facilitating team offense, that's why I added the little bit about "scoring," because that's specifically what I was talking about.

Do you have the rs/playoff splits on that front then? His scoring went up during the bulls initial ascension and down during the second three-peat from a quick bbr glance

Simple bbr sees him beating the -0.2 trend fp4 described for his career and 90 and 91 were 1st and 3rd in his simple box elevation whatever
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,850

Post#69 » by 70sFan » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:37 am

OhayoKD wrote:
70sFan wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:
Taking strength of era into account when ranking players doesn't automatically mean one is speculating how they'd play/fit in other eras.

Yeah, I don't get why it's even questioned...

Because if you don't think players would do better in a league where the league is weaker, then what exactly is the point of one league being weaker than the other? Would you be able to say that league is weaker than another if those all leagues players play just as well in the future?

The concept is hinged on cross-temporal projection, aka "time-machine". Why are people using sci-fi then complaining about other people using sci-fi

Again, that doesn't have to be the case.

If someone creates a model that gives a boost for playing in more recent seasons without taking into account specific translation capability, then it is no longer a time machine argument.

Some people may think that someone like, let's say, Magic Johnson would translate better to the league we have now due to his skillset being more suited to modern basketball and that it would outweigh any sport improvement and competition increase, but can still knock him down below modern players because of decision of era adjustment. Some people might give modern players a boost for playing in a more professional league without thinking that older players would fare worse today.

Another example is era adjusting without taking into account possible era translation at all. If you decide that one era is "stronger" than the other, so you have to always pick a player from that era without any skill analysis, then you don't do time machine argument. Cause you know - time machine argument is about players adjusting to different environments (rules, officiating, competition, schemes, off-fort issues etc.) and not only to different competition. If you don't consider how Kevin Durant would adjust to the racist times of the early 1960s, then I'm not sure you can call it time machine argument at all.

Another example is the one if someone doesn't rate older players because he/she hasn't seen them or doesn't believe we have enough data to judge their effectiveness well.

Time machine is quite popular in such discussions, but you are wrong if you think that every poster who tries to estimate era strength, does it by time machine argument. Also, not every poster who doesn't end the analysis at era-relative approach is time-machine supporter. Time machine is a very specific concept that doesn't stop at "look who played in a better league". That's why I don't understand why you push so hard here. You don't have the point and it's not the first time we discuss this.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 20,302

Post#70 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:49 am

Induction Vote 1: Bob Pettit

So the essence of the situation here is that I have Pettit considerably higher on in-era achievement than the guys he's competing with. That doesn't clinch he gets the nod from me - I'm also factoring in the level of the league - but I'd really have to be chopping the old league down a lot before a player of Pettit's prominence could fall below the other candidates.

Do I see the argument for Barkley as a guy who played the same position but was a greater talent? Sure, and I'd side with Barkley's peak here, but I don't have Barkley's career as a guy who was a serious MVP candidate year-in and year-out like I have Pettit.

Additionally, I'd feel more uncomfortable picking Pettit here if I wasn't knowledgeable of how Pettit's game aged - like win - in the era of Russell & Chamberlain. No, Pettit wasn't just a guy doing his thing against plumbers, he was a talent which no one was able to simply dismiss.

Scottie Pippen

So yeah, Pippen jumps straight up into the #2 spot for me. Debated about voting for one of the more major contenders. but honestly while I was typing up the chart below, it just made it really hard to justify voting for the other candidates even though I don't want to look as if I'm taking some stubborn stand here.

I'm not a huge Pippen fan really...but dammit if he wasn't an incredibly well-round robust player the type you're dying to have if you want to sustain a contending core for many years. His role as the Beta Bull ain't enough to get him in GOAT competition, but I very much venerate guys who cultivate games that can fit like a keystone to a dynastic core.

Nomination Vote 1: Walt Frazier

Repeat vote:
Spoiler:
I'm going to re-post what I said last time for Frazier without spoilers because I still feel unsettled on the matter:

Yeah, so I've been agonizing over this one. Makes sense given that this is where the the structure that narrows the field in Induction stops. It's the place to consider all of the players not yet Inducted or Nominated, and of course that's the vast majority of'em.

With Frazier, the pros and cons are clear. I think his prime was really damn strong, and I think he was the keystone of the Red Holzman Knicks more so than any other player. In comparison with contemporary rivals like John Havlicek, Rick Barry & Wes Unseld, I just think Frazier was better than any of them.

He didn't last all that long though, so there's a major question of whether longevity should favor someone else. To be honest, I kinda felt myself thinking that I should pick someone other than Frazier here...but I couldn't make myself anoint any particular guy.

I probably spent the most time considering Mr. Guard longevity John Stockton, and so that means that next time he might be the most likely for me to switch my vote to.

I'll tell you though, I'm really not sure about Stockton over Reggie Miller. I kinda think Reggie was the better playoff player and extreme longevity himself.

And then there's a guy I'm already soft-championing in Manu Ginobili. On a per minute basis, I'd definitely take Manu over Reggie (or Stockton). I'm seriously considering him over them.

I'd be remiss not to mention Scottie Pippen. I rank his prime play ahead of Stockton & Miller...but his career fell off abruptly somewhat like Frazier's did. It really doesn't seem right to me to favor Pippen over Frazier based on longevity. Feels like you have to prefer Pippen to Frazier, and I just don't. I think we see a gap in shooting ability that puts them in fundamentally different tiers as scorers, and I think Frazier stacks up pretty dang well in the rest of the game too.

That's me mentioning a lot of guys I could see possibly Nominating over Frazier, and there are others as well, but Frazier's the one still standing out most as I look at this right now.

Nomination Vote 2: Reggie Miller

As is proving the case often, the 2nd Nomination position is the one I'm agonizing over.

I'll tell you that I have 3 guys primarily on my mind right now: Miller, John Stockton & Manu Ginobili.

Of the 3, the guy I most feel like championing at this point is actually Ginobili - and I'm doing so some in that '04-05 thread. But championing him doesn't necessarily mean I see him as needing to be ranked at least as high as X. The minutes thing absolutely holds him back, just a question of how much. The thing I'm more passionate about is making people take seriously that when he did play his impact was just plain massive and scaled to top playoff competition like nobody's business.

I can see the case for him over Reggie & John, but can definitely see it the other way around, and those two are big in the debate right now.

I've bee going back & forth between Stockton & Miller for a while now. I really do hold Stockton in quite high regard and am not trying to make him fall lower, but as some know, I've always been high Reggie.

Still though something changed for me, and I can tell you that it happened in my last pass through POY shares where Miller really stood out. Here's a lens to consider the scale of it:

Among '80s draft guys, most times in my Top 5:

Michael Jordan 11
Hakeem Olajuwon 8
Karl Malone 8
David Robinson 7
Reggie Miller 5
Patrick Ewing 4
Scottie Pippen 4
Charles Barkley 3
Kevin McHale 3
Kevin Johnson 1
John Stockton 1

Miller's not seen like a Top 5 guy in general so this is bound to shock folks, but I really think his playoff performances warranted this.

As for Stockton only making it once, well he was certainly consideration many years. In the end, just hard to sneak him up that high for me in practice. Maybe he was capable of it, maybe no, but I think Reggie with the primacy he took in practice was the player demonstrating something quite rare.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#71 » by tsherkin » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:53 am

OhayoKD wrote:Do you have the rs/playoff splits on that front then? His scoring went up during the bulls initial ascension and down during the second three-peat from a quick bbr glance

Simple bbr sees him beating the -0.2 trend fp4 described for his career and 90 and 91 were 1st and 3rd in his simple box elevation whatever

1991: 52.0 / 30.9 / 70.6 (56.1% TS) vs 50.4 / 23.5 / 79.2 (56.4% TS) +0.3, +1.7 relative to PS average
1992: 50.6 / 20.0 / 76.0 (55.5% TS) vs 46.8 / 25.0 / 76.1 (54.4% TS) -1.1, -0.1
1993: 47.3 / 23.7 / 66.3 (51.0% TS) vs 46.5 / 17.6 / 63.8 (50.4% TS) -0.6, -2.6
1994: 49.1 / 32.0 / 66.0 (54.4% TS) vs 43.4 / 26.7 / 88.5 (52.1% TS) -2.3, +0.5
1995: 48.0 / 34.5 / 71.6 (55.9% TS) vs 44.3 / 36.8 / 67.6 (54.9% TS) -1.0, -0.2
1996: 46.3 / 37.4 / 67.9 (55.1% TS) vs 39.0 / 28.6 / 63.8 (47.3% TS) -7.8, -6.5
1997: 47.4 / 36.8 / 70.1 (55.4% TS) vs 41.7 / 34.5 / 79.1 (52.6% TS) -2.8, -0.9
1998: 44.7 / 31.8 / 77.7 (53.3% TS) vs 41.5 / 22.8 / 67.9 (50.0% TS) -3.3, -2.9

Yes, he was SIGNIFICANTLY worse in the second three-peat, but he dropped off every postseason from 92 forward. It wasn't that bad until around 94, and of course 95 is mitigated some by the pulled-in line, and really he was increasing his volume from 3 even in 94.

And when you look at him relative to league average during the postseason, he was negative every year except for 91 and 94. That's not awesome. Ultimately, it mattered only so much because of the team and because he was not just a scorer of course, but he was not a particularly good postseason scorer. A lot of it, of course, is that he was mediocre at the foul line to begin with and crap under pressure. And mind that all of this is coming in the context of him getting a notable boost to his FTr in the playoffs every year except for 1994. He averaged .286 from 91-98 during the RS and .376 in the playoffs during the same period.
Rishkar
Junior
And1: 340

Post#72 » by Rishkar » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:55 am

I feel Pettit is the only player remaining without many flaws in his resume. From what I've read, he seems to have a reputation as a solid defender, great rebounder, and good outside scorer. His flaws seem to be that he played in a weaker era and had trouble handling the ball. One often overlooked part of Pettit's skillset was his ability to draw fouls, where teams in the playoffs gave him 10.4 Free throw attempts per game second all time to Shaq and 10.3 in the regular season which is second all time to Wilt. Unlike those other players, Pettit converted at a 76% rate throughout his career. Combining the all time ability to draw fouls with his jumpshooting (and therefore spacing) ability, I think Pettit would be a player who might have an even greater impact than the boxscore numbers would indicate. I guess one could believe that his defense was subpar and thus holding back his value, but I see him as a kinda lesser version of Karl Malone on that end (and probably on offense). He only played 11 seasons, but was an all star in all of them 91st all NBA for his first 10 years, and 2nd All NBA his last). As someone who's criteria focuses a lot on 10 year primes, it feels weird that he isn't in the top 25.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant

Post#73 » by OhayoKD » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:14 am

70sFan wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:
70sFan wrote:Yeah, I don't get why it's even questioned...

Because if you don't think players would do better in a league where the league is weaker, then what exactly is the point of one league being weaker than the other? Would you be able to say that league is weaker than another if those all leagues players play just as well in the future?

The concept is hinged on cross-temporal projection, aka "time-machine". Why are people using sci-fi then complaining about other people using sci-fi

Again, that doesn't have to be the case.

If someone creates a model that gives a boost for playing in more recent seasons without taking into account specific translation capability, then it is no longer a time machine argument.

But why are you giving a player a boost for playing in more recent seasons? If it's just "i like modern players better", sure not time machine. If it has anything to do with performance, then yeah, it's cross-temporal projection, aka, time-machine. The scale you are projecting is a difference of extent, not kind. Projecting an entire league vs projecting a specific player still is projection.
Some people may think that someone like, let's say, Magic Johnson would translate better to the league we have now due to his skillset being more suited to modern basketball and that it would outweigh any sport improvement and competition increase, but can still knock him down below modern players because of decision of era adjustment. Some people might give modern players a boost for playing in a more professional league without thinking that older players would fare worse today.

Sure, aesthetic preference of professional players is not time machine just as simply liking modern players better would not be time-machine. Yet somehow I do not think people here want to say "i think this player is better because i like him better"

Another example is era adjusting without taking into account possible era translation at all. If you decide that one era is "stronger" than the other

And that gets us back to what is making that era stronger. Where is this decision coming from. There is an assumption being snuck in there, and i do not think the posters actually arguing that want to say that assumption is tied to simply liking a certain type of player more.

time machine argument is about players adjusting to different environments (rules, officiating, competition, schemes, off-fort issues etc.) and not only to different competition. If you don't consider how Kevin Durant would adjust to the racist times of the early 1960s, then I'm not sure you can call it time machine argument at all.

Where does "time-machine" imply anything about the specific nature of what is adjusted for beyond "time". It's not typical to factor in racism no. It is simply cross temporal projection.
Another example is the one if someone doesn't rate older players because he/she hasn't seen them or doesn't believe we have enough data to judge their effectiveness well.
Sure. "i don't know enough to rate properly and i prefer players i know about" is similar, though I suppose you can make some probabilistic uncertainty case(that could just go the other direction though like with russell).

Time machine is quite popular in such discussions, but you are wrong if you think that every poster who tries to estimate era strength, does it by time machine argument. Also, not every poster who doesn't end the analysis at era-relative approach is time-machine supporter. Time machine is a very specific concept that doesn't stop at "look who played in a better league". That's why I don't understand why you push so hard here. You don't have the point and it's not the first time we discuss this.

Time-machine is very specifcally "player across time" and is used whenever "player here was better than playet there". It was never about how narrow or specific what you are projecting is. I push hard because people should not have their reasoning likened to science fiction simply because they are honest about what is driving their beliefs.

I will concede it is not strictly neccesary to use cross-temporal projection. "i just prefer these types of players" is also an option.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant

Post#74 » by OhayoKD » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:17 am

tsherkin wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:Do you have the rs/playoff splits on that front then? His scoring went up during the bulls initial ascension and down during the second three-peat from a quick bbr glance

1991: 52.0 / 30.9 / 70.6 (56.1% TS) vs 50.4 / 23.5 / 79.2 (56.4% TS) +0.3, +1.7 relative to PS average
1992: 50.6 / 20.0 / 76.0 (55.5% TS) vs 46.8 / 25.0 / 76.1 (54.4% TS) -1.1, -0.1
1993: 47.3 / 23.7 / 66.3 (51.0% TS) vs 46.5 / 17.6 / 63.8 (50.4% TS) -0.6, -2.6
1994: 49.1 / 32.0 / 66.0 (54.4% TS) vs 43.4 / 26.7 / 88.5 (52.1% TS) -2.3, +0.5
1995: 48.0 / 34.5 / 71.6 (55.9% TS) vs 44.3 / 36.8 / 67.6 (54.9% TS) -1.0, -0.2
1996: 46.3 / 37.4 / 67.9 (55.1% TS) vs 39.0 / 28.6 / 63.8 (47.3% TS) -7.8, -6.5
1997: 47.4 / 36.8 / 70.1 (55.4% TS) vs 41.7 / 34.5 / 79.1 (52.6% TS) -2.8, -0.9
1998: 44.7 / 31.8 / 77.7 (53.3% TS) vs 41.5 / 22.8 / 67.9 (50.0% TS) -3.3, -2.9

Yes, he was SIGNIFICANTLY worse in the second three-peat, but he dropped off every postseason from 92 forward. It wasn't that bad until around 94, and of course 95 is mitigated some by the pulled-in line, and really he was increasing his volume from 3 even in 94.

And when you look at him relative to league average during the postseason, he was negative every year except for 91 and 94. That's not awesome. Ultimately, it mattered only so much because of the team and because he was not just a scorer of course, but he was not a particularly good postseason scorer. A lot of it, of course, is that he was mediocre at the foul line to begin with and crap under pressure. And mind that all of this is coming in the context of him getting a notable boost to his FTr in the playoffs every year except for 1994. He averaged .286 from 91-98 during the RS and .376 in the playoffs during the same period.

Ah, interesting you exclude 1990. His playoff production is arguably better than other years listed here(for scoring 1995 specifically) and it's the year that would rank #1 in terms of playoff rising among chicago's core by fp4's metric.

I do wonder then how pippen swings it to the other way overall in fp4's simple box whatever if his scoring generally declined
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#75 » by tsherkin » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:30 am

OhayoKD wrote:Ah, interesting you exclude 1990. His playoff production is arguably better than other years listed here(for scoring 1995 specifically) and it's the year that would rank #1 in terms of playoff rising among chicago's core by fp4's metric.

RS: 48.9 / 25.0 / 67.5, 16.5 ppg, 52.8% TS, .257 FTr
PS: 49.5, 32.3 / 71.0, 19.3 ppg, 56.9% TS, .476 FTr

Another huge rise in FTr, 2.1 instead of 1.4 3PA/g, much better FT shooting. Doesn't really change the trend, but it was a nice improvement, for sure. Milwaukee was the 14th ranked D, Philly was 16th, and then they ran into Detroit (2nd). He shot 42.6% FG, 30.0% 3P, 75.0% FT and posted 16.6 ppg on 52.0% TS in that series, FWIW.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant

Post#76 » by OhayoKD » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:31 am

tsherkin wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:Ah, interesting you exclude 1990. His playoff production is arguably better than other years listed here(for scoring 1995 specifically) and it's the year that would rank #1 in terms of playoff rising among chicago's core by fp4's metric.

RS: 48.9 / 25.0 / 67.5, 16.5 ppg, 52.8% TS, .257 FTr
PS: 49.5, 32.3 / 71.0, 19.3 ppg, 56.9% TS, .476 FTr

Another huge rise in FTr, 2.1 instead of 1.4 3PA/g, much better FT shooting. Doesn't really change the trend, but it was a nice improvement, for sure. Milwaukee was the 14th ranked D, Philly was 16th, and then they ran into Detroit (2nd). He shot 42.6% FG, 30.0% 3P, 75.0% FT and posted 16.6 ppg on 52.0% TS in that series, FWIW.

Did alot better in 91 for sure, How much of that was pippen being stronger and how much of that was detroit being worse is an open question. They didn't look nearly as good in the first two rounds as they did in 90
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by tsherkin » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:32 am

OhayoKD wrote:I do wonder then how pippen swings it to the other way overall in fp4's simple box whatever if his scoring generally declined

Meant to address this too. I imagine playmaking is a major feature. He sees a slight rise in his offensive rebounding in the playoffs. He does exert palpably superior foul pressure and he maintains scoring rate without seeing a rise in turnovers. So there's some statistical basis in there, I'd guess. Team offensive efficacy with him in the game is probably linked to how he bolstered Jordan, right? And how the roleplayers performed around him and Mike.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant

Post#78 » by OhayoKD » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:23 am

tsherkin wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:I do wonder then how pippen swings it to the other way overall in fp4's simple box whatever if his scoring generally declined

Meant to address this too. I imagine playmaking is a major feature. He sees a slight rise in his offensive rebounding in the playoffs. He does exert palpably superior foul pressure and he maintains scoring rate without seeing a rise in turnovers. So there's some statistical basis in there, I'd guess. Team offensive efficacy with him in the game is probably linked to how he bolstered Jordan, right? And how the roleplayers performed around him and Mike.

yeah. i imagine 90 and 91 do the heavy lifting regardless
OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager
And1: 3,825

Post#79 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:11 am

OhayoKD wrote:
OldSchoolNoBull wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:
And did any of those detailed arguments actually explain what makes him greater than Harden who actually was on pace to beat the greatest team ever and still got closer with a weaker cast the next year than barkley did vs a much weaker champion in 1993?

This is a ranking. In otherwords you'll have a much better shot at swinging the anti-barkley block if you are making a comparative case. It doesn't really matter what barkley's numbers or skillset is if you can't justify the bit where those number make barkley better than everyone else on the board

I have yet to see anyone do that bit vs Harden who also is a mvp winner, also lost to an eventual champion, also has impressive slashlines, and actually came closer to a 2nd mvp win multiple times than barkley ever did. In fact when i asked someone who was picking barkley over harden why they favored barkley over harden, their response was, "uh i don't really know why"

I didn't specifically compare him to Harden because Harden wasn't on the board back then.

Well, now he's probably barkley's biggest threat. Seems a good time to make that case.
For starters, I'd take issue with "weaker cast". If you're talking about 2017-18, Harden had CP3, Capela(who was putting 24.8/19.4 per 100 on +9.4 rTS), two elite 3D guys in Ariza and Tucker, and Gordon off the bench with 18ppg on +2.2 rTS. I don't know that that's so much worse than KJ/Majerle/Ceballos/Dumas/West/Chambers/Ainge/etc. If anything, a lot of the coverage of the team for those couple years(16-17 and 17-18) was focused, in addition to Harden's individual offensive accomplishments, on the job Morey had done constructing that team.

was referencing 2019 here they lost by an average of 1.7 points a game to the warriors with 4 and a half games of kd. Am completely open to the idea barkley's help explains the gap in team success and then some, but that case has yet to be made.

I'm just not entirely sure what you're viewing as the gap in team success. Neither guy won a ring, and Harden never even made the Finals as the #1 guy.

It seems like the team success thing for Harden is centered around the fact that he almost beat teams that were better than any Barkley faced(the 18 and 19 Warriors, maybe the 17 Spurs, maybe the 20 Lakers, though that last one was a five game series).

I guess there is merit to that argument, but I am not overly compelled by it. If you compare their overall playoff record as a #1 option, they are close. I'm defining that as Harden's Houston years(12-13 through 19-20 - KD was #1 in OKC and Brooklyn, and Embiid is #1 in Philly), and Barkley's post-Dr.J Philly and Phoenix years(87-88 through 95-96). So that's eight seasons for Harden and nine seasons for Barkley. In that time, their playoff W/L records are:

Harden: 42-43
Barkley: 34-36

So Barkley played fewer playoff games due to being saddled with a crappy Philly team, but Harden is one game under .500 and Barkley is two games under .500.

Anyway - it might surprise you to learn that I don't think the gap between Barkley/Harden is big. They're very similar. Scoring dynamos with other dimensions(Barkley's rebounding, Harden's playmaking/running of offense) who didn't play much defense and who maybe weren't the best locker room guys(though like I said in the last thread, I think that's overblown for Barkley), and who got close but couldn't get the ring.

It doesn't suprise me. Many barkley voters have repeated that line. But you are choosing one over the other even though the other was flatly more successful(something you've referenced before in voting posts.

Again, I am not sure how you're defining success.

Sure this seems fine. But if it's within range what breaks the tie for barkley here. You referenced petit as the era-relative best choice but you didn't vote for him presumably because of league-strength. Harden played in a stronger league. You referenced team success with malone, but harden was more successful.

I'll be honest - in a vacuum I'd rank Pettit higher than Barkley based on era-relativity - in fact I did in an earlier thread. But in that thread, my secondary vote for Barkley went uncounted due to a technicality. So, in the interest of not having that happen again, I am making sure my #1 vote is for Barkley.

And for the third time, I don't know how you're measuring success.

As for how I break the tie....you quoted my explanation below. We'll get to it.

Also seems worth pointing out harden's best years had him staggering with similar players with similar strengths(chris paul, westbrook) which would generally suppress his rapm.

I also think we have a case of conventional box-skew here which becomes apparent iwith your series comparison

First off, that is a massive volume disparity. 6 points. Secondly turnover economy is not just a matter of assists and points. Harden was handling the ball far more than barkley was. And if we go by assist percentage we get 35%:15% and 20:6 for Barkley.

Barkley has a better ast:tov on far lower volume even if wee just go by assist% which is obviously misleading when we are talkign about harden in a system where possessions were run nearly entirely through him. Harden was also taking more difficult shots and naturally drawing more defensive attention. I don't really see how production favors chuck here, and notably Harden would proceed have to have 2 progressingly better performances the next two years, including a performance many engines already voted higher would be proud of vs an all-time great lakers defense where he was his own team's spacing more or less and his teammate was reduced to a non-factor by injury.

From my vantage point, harden flat out did more than barkley on what was a signficiantly more impressive team performance.

You say this like 35:15 is not extremely effecient and harden was not doing more than chuck before assists and points come into play. Harden was ochrestrating everything for his team offensively, chuck was not. I would take harden's "turnover economy" on 35% of his team's assists over chucks's on 20% anyway.

Your point is fair. Harden's offenses were more dependent on him. Harden is one of the most ball-dominant players of his era, maybe ever. It is worth pointing out that people have asked whether it's healthy for so many of a team's points to be generated by one guy - either directly from scoring or from playmaking. People ask the same thing about Doncic now. Wasn't one of the alleged reasons Harden wanted CP3 moved because CP3 took the ball out of his hands too much? This is neither here nor there re: Barkley, just thought it was worth bringing up.

I think i could argue harden is significantly advantaged outside of the box-score though maybe you can counter with rapm and "barkley defends better", but harden did play in the better league(which seems to at least be a factor), and led better teams which were denied by injury against better opponents. I do think offense would be clearly in harden's favor from a production standpoint though. Especially under antoni when harden practically was the offense from the start of the possession to the end of it. In that context, I think you underrate how effecient he was.

"Outside of the box score", but RAPM is comparable(as you alluded to), yes, so where is the significant advantage? Also, I don't really consider "better league", I look at what a player did in the league they were in.

I understand where you're coming from re: overall offensive productivity, but on the other hand, some people consider offensive rebounding part of offense too.

Yep, that's fair, my numbers were wrong. It was close, but it was still vs a much weaker opponent than the kd-warriors though I imagine you are not going to dispute harden has the team-success case.

If you are still referring to the 2019 Warriors...

93 Bulls: 6.19 SRS/+6.8 Net Rtg
19 Warriors: 6.42 SRS/+6.2 Net Rtg

Seems pretty even to me. I suppose you'll point out that the Warriors numbers are suppressed because Steph and Draymond missed some time and the team was coasting, etc, but I could just as easily point out that the 93 Bulls were coasting to a degree too as the two-time champs and because Michael and Scottie had played for the Dream Team the previous summer and had had little break.

For me the edge between these two in particular comes down to A)I just think Barkley was a better playoff performer, as evidenced by some of the stuff above, B)As great of a scorer as Harden is, I think Barkley was better, C)For the moment, has a bit more longevity, and D)He didn't play with as much talent as Harden did(Harden had early-prime KD, early-prime Westbrook, late-prime CP3, prime Kyrie, and prime Embiid; Barkley had late-prime Moses, almost-done Dr. J, late-prime KJ, late-prime-to-almost-done Hakeem, and almost-done Drexler)

a) I mean in the sepcific series you comapred, i think the advantage is clearly harden's for reasons stated above. Not a fan of how you use turnovers here. Barkley was not orchestrating his offense throughout the possession and 35:15 is very good effeciency.

Well, that's one series. Like I said in my original post, for their careers in the playoffs, they are:

Barkley:
.193 WS/48
6.3 BPM
+4.8 TS(relative to the league average over his career)

Harden:
.172 WS/48
6.2 BPM
+3.4 TS(relative to the league average over his career)

Plus the fact their RS+PO RAPMs(via J.E.) are comparable. I am not saying it's a big gap, but that I give a slight edge to Barkley.

b) i think i'd favor harden based on shot-difficulty and volume

I assume by shot-difficulty you're talking about Harden's range and the fact that he's hitting shots from much further away. This is a fair point, but I would argue that Barkley was a 6'4' inside scorer who had to score a ton of points against bigger and taller guys, and he did it extremely efficiently. It's a very different kind of difficulty, but it's there. I know you are not impressed with 'at that height' type arguments, so may we'll just have to disagree.

As far as volume...first, here are their career PP100 for RS and PO:

Barkley: 30.2 RS/30.0 PO
Harden: 35.1 RS/32.0 PO

So Harden has a fairly big sizeable gap in the RS, but smaller in the PO.

But Harden's volume is necessarily going to be bigger because he took(and made) a bunch more threes than Barkley did. If we look at Career Field Goals Made Per 100 for RS and PO, it looks like this:

Barkley: 10.7 RS/10.7 PO
Harden: 10.4 RS/9.6 PO

So Barkley actually scored more baskets(and on higher efficiency) and held steady in the playoffs where Harden dropped a little.

(Harden does have more Free Throws Made Per 100 - 10.4 RS/9.3 PO vs 8.1 RS/7.9 PO for Barkley which is worth considering, I won't bury that.)

c) sure
d) Listing teammates isn't a good way to do this. Harden did not play with westbrook and chris paul simulateously. It doesn't really matter he played with both. What would matter is how long he had that calibre of teammate and even then ultimately, the most important indicator is how good the overall cast is. Harden played with multiple of those teammates once when he wasn't near his best.

Put it this way - 18 CP3 is arguably better than any player Barkley ever played with, depending on how you view 85 and 86 Moses and 97 Hakeem. Same for 13 KD and 23 Embiid.

It is, but was there a player he lost to he should have clearly won against? You're saying barkley was not significantly better than harden, but barkley being near harden was always going to be a dramatic drop

At the very least, I'd have taken both Barkley and Harden over Wade. I think Harden is pretty comfortably ahead of Wade offensively and I don't know that Wade's defense makes up for it. And I'd probably have taken both over Jokic and Giannis just based on longevity.

Okay but should barkley be rated higher because of his height? Shouldn't that be applied in reverse for his weaknesses?

Also, i will point out that everyone you listed was a big-man who did not get as much help as barkley woyld have gotten in terms of teammates boxing out.

Maybe? but i think you might overvalue rebounds in terms of value.

Again, you do not appear to be sympathetic to 'at that height' type arguments, so I think we just disagree on that.

Re: applied in reverse for his weaknesses...are you suggesting that he be penalized for not being as good a playmaker as other guys his height? If so, I'd simply suggest that the number of 6'4' guys who are equally as mediocre in that respect as Barkley would outnumber the number of 6'4' guys who rebound at Barkley's rate. I.E. I think he's much more of an outlier one way than the other.

If all it took for a height-disadvantaged player to rebound like that was for his bigger teammates to box out for him, there'd be more 6'4' guys rebounding like Barkley. I mean, I'm sure it was a factor, but let's give Barkley credit where it's due.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,850

Post#80 » by 70sFan » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:38 am

OhayoKD wrote:But why are you giving a player a boost for playing in more recent seasons? If it's just "i like modern players better", sure not time machine. If it has anything to do with performance, then yeah, it's cross-temporal projection, aka, time-machine. The scale you are projecting is a difference of extent, not kind. Projecting an entire league vs projecting a specific player still is projection.

Again, there are many reasons why you can prefer modern eras over the other ones without referencing a time machine argument.

Sure, aesthetic preference of professional players is not time machine just as simply liking modern players better would not be time-machine. Yet somehow I do not think people here want to say "i think this player is better because i like him better"

It's not aesthetic preference though.

And that gets us back to what is making that era stronger. Where is this decision coming from. There is an assumption being snuck in there, and i do not think the posters actually arguing that want to say that assumption is tied to simply liking a certain type of player more.

Comparing era strengths doesn't have to do anything with time machine argument and you know it.

Where does "time-machine" imply anything about the specific nature of what is adjusted for beyond "time". It's not typical to factor in racism no. It is simply cross temporal projection.

Then it makes no sense and is extremely inconsistent. Time machine should factor all factors related to different time context.

Sure. "i don't know enough to rate properly and i prefer players i know about" is similar, though I suppose you can make some probabilistic uncertainty case(that could just go the other direction though like with russell).

Yeah and that's one of the examples.

Time-machine is very specifcally "player across time" and is used whenever "player here was better than playet there". It was never about how narrow or specific what you are projecting is. I push hard because people should not have their reasoning likened to science fiction simply because they are honest about what is driving their beliefs.

OK, I don't have a problem with people using time machine (as long as it is consistent and backed up with argumentation), but you are wrong if you think that all people who don't use "era relative" approach in absolute terms use time machine argumentation. That's why I'm trying to tell you.

Return to Player Comparisons