2018-19 Player of the Year Discussion Thread

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,430
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Re: 2018-19 Player of the Year Discussion Thread 

Post#601 » by E-Balla » Thu May 23, 2019 9:05 pm

70sFan wrote:Kareem wasn't Dantley-esque. I've been working on a video about his post game and he's not more of a ball-stopper than Shaq. Not at all, he fought for deep position and even without success he could launch the skyhook from 15 feet without taking a single dribble. Kareem was much quicker with his decisions than you think. There are some cases when he slowed down the pace, but it was because he knew teams will double him and he waited to take advantage of it.

I also think that you've watched way too many 1980s games if you believe that teams were happy with Kareem guarded one on one. In the 1970s, Jabbar was doubled even without the ball and it wasn't that rare. In late 70s Lakers team teams didn't give him a space even to breath, the only time I've seen many one on one actions from him is against the Bulls who had Artis Gilmore to guard him. Watch games from 1977 or 1979, Kareem scaried teams just as much as Shaq.

Didn't see this when I posted but 100% agreed. Kareem is one of the fastest moving post players ever, I mean that's the point of the skyhook entirely and it was his go to move. It's something you can get from a crap angle without much setup. Literally catch and make from wherever you are at the time. That's why it was so deadly. Not to mention his turnaround fadeaway which was also deadly.

Doc's criticism would work for most 70s bigs. Kareem on the other hand was by far the fastest moving player in the post back then.
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,511

Post#602 » by Jaivl » Thu May 23, 2019 9:06 pm

Really solid All-NBA teams.

Curry/Harden/George/Giannis/Jokic
Lillard/Irving/Kawhi/Durant/Embiid
Walker/WB/LeBron/Griffin/Gobert
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,889

Post#603 » by eminence » Thu May 23, 2019 9:39 pm

Jaivl wrote:Really solid All-NBA teams.

Yeah, those are great. Kawhi most over for me, probably at the cost of his teammate Siakam.
I bought a boat.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,430
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#604 » by E-Balla » Thu May 23, 2019 9:48 pm

Jaivl wrote:Really solid All-NBA teams.

Outside of Kawhi. He's a major hell naw after missing a quarter of their games and not even playing at that high a level when he was around.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,707

Post#605 » by Doctor MJ » Fri May 24, 2019 3:04 am

Man Giannis just looks green next to Kawhi.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,889

Post#606 » by eminence » Fri May 24, 2019 3:15 am

Doctor MJ wrote:Man Giannis just looks green next to Kawhi.

Good way to describe it. Timing just seems off in when to push, when to back off, when to take control, when to give someone else room to work. Not sure what his next step will be, but it'll be interesting to follow.
I bought a boat.
DatAsh
Senior
And1: 356

Post#607 » by DatAsh » Fri May 24, 2019 3:32 am

Kawhi really looks like the better player.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,590

Post#608 » by GSP » Fri May 24, 2019 3:55 am

Really disappointed in Bud. If the Bucks get backdoor swept its really gonna solidify him as a system coach that cant make adjustments.

Giannis offense has been really disappointing too but Toronto just might be the best equipped team to defend him. Having 4 legit guys in Siakam, Kawhi, Marc and Ibaka that can defend him well in different overages is insane. Raptors defensive talent in general is ridiculous

Theres not a single average or below average defender in their rotation TBH. Maybe Norman Powell but i remember him shutting down Paul George in the past
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,177

Post#609 » by PaulieWal » Fri May 24, 2019 4:11 am

DatAsh wrote:

Kawhi really looks like the better player.

That's because he is. Easily the best player in the playoffs this year.
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,722

Post#610 » by TheGOATRises007 » Fri May 24, 2019 4:33 am

Kawhi Leonard is an incredible player. Clearly the best player in the league to me now.

I hope the Raptors advance, because I want to see how Kawhi does vs the Warriors.
Joey Wheeler
Starter
And1: 1,359

Post#611 » by Joey Wheeler » Fri May 24, 2019 6:02 am

Clearly anointing Giannis as the best in the world is premature as his game has flaws that can be exposed deep in the playoffs. That said, I wouldn't go too far on the criticism of his performance in this series; this Raptors team is one of the best, most suffocating defenses we've ever seen in the NBA. Embiid struggled offensively last round, Vucevic R1 (though he's not really a star) and I fully expect GSW stars to struggle as well if that's the Finals. Durant's 3 Finals trips are the 3 most efficient high volume scoring Finals series in history, there's 0 chance he keeps that up against this Raptors team imo, if he even plays that is.

Toronto have elite interior defense, the GOAT perimeter defender and basically no bad defenders in their roster, everyone who sees court time is a positive on that end. It's not that big of an indictment of Giannis that he's having a tough series here, it's hard when you have Kawhi checking you on the perimeter, Gasol/Ibaka and Siakam waiting for you at the rim...
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,996

Post#612 » by RCM88x » Fri May 24, 2019 6:07 am

I think this year is going to be a tight vote. No one stands out at all, unless the Bucks advance and Giannis plays better. All the top RS guys sorta had nothing special playoff runs (to this point).

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,590

Post#613 » by GSP » Fri May 24, 2019 6:11 am

RCM88x wrote:I think this year is going to be a tight vote. No one stands out at all, unless the Bucks advance and Giannis plays better. All the top RS guys sorta had nothing special playoff runs (to this point).

While he didnt have the best Rs, Kawhi was still an all nba 2nd player and has easily been the best playoff performer at this point. He stands out
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,996

Post#614 » by RCM88x » Fri May 24, 2019 6:21 am

GSP wrote:
RCM88x wrote:I think this year is going to be a tight vote. No one stands out at all, unless the Bucks advance and Giannis plays better. All the top RS guys sorta had nothing special playoff runs (to this point).

While he didnt have the best Rs, Kawhi was still an all nba 2nd player and has easily been the best playoff performer at this point. He stands out

Maybe, I'd have a hard time giving it to a guy who rested for 22 games in the regular season and probably wasn't a top 8-9 guy during the RS anyways. Probably has had the best playoffs, but meh.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,707

Post#615 » by Doctor MJ » Fri May 24, 2019 2:26 pm

Joey Wheeler wrote:Clearly anointing Giannis as the best in the world is premature as his game has flaws that can be exposed deep in the playoffs.

That's always the thing. Young superstar hasn't seen all counters to his game yet so eventually stumbles against the right opponent in the playoffs. I don't see it as "premature anointing" so much as it's just a new hero stumbling at the part of the journey most of them stumble on.

But yeah, unless something changes in this series, Kawhi will definitely be above him on my list.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Krodis
Lead Assistant
And1: 599

Post#616 » by Krodis » Fri May 24, 2019 3:27 pm

For now I still have

1. Harden
2. Giannis
3. Kawhi

But it's up for grabs. If Golden State just dominates the Finals matchup then I'd err towards Harden. If Kawhi or Giannis put up a big performance in the Finals and win or come close then it'd probably be them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,240

Post#617 » by cpower » Fri May 24, 2019 3:30 pm

Kawhi , Giannis and Curry all have a shot . Kawhi was coasting in the RS which hurts him quite a bit. Curry needs another series like how he played last 6 games. Giannis just needs to be in the finals to lock it.
NinjaSheppard
Sixth Man
And1: 1,404

Post#618 » by NinjaSheppard » Fri May 24, 2019 5:15 pm

Krodis wrote:For now I still have

1. Harden
2. Giannis
3. Kawhi

But it's up for grabs. If Golden State just dominates the Finals matchup then I'd err towards Harden. If Kawhi or Giannis put up a big performance in the Finals and win or come close then it'd probably be them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

This is pretty much how I see it.

Harden was the best player in the Warriors/Rockets series and until I see otherwise that was the NBA Finals. I have a hard time putting Kawhi above number 3 given that he chose to rest 22 games. I could excuse it if he was injured but taking legitimate maintenance days for a quarter of the season is too much.

He probably isn't in the playoffs still if the Raptors go like 10-12 without him instead of 17-5.

Its hard to punish Giannis too much because I just can't see many superstars playing well against this Raptors team. It is absolutely stacked defensively without any weaklinks. No one is talking about how Steph Curry was exposed against the Rockets and he had a brutal series but his teammates managed to keep him in it for the most part until he took over one half.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,689

Post#619 » by Dupp » Fri May 24, 2019 8:08 pm

Should kawhi really be ahead of Jokic yet? Jokic had a way better regular season and basically was faultless in the playoff..,
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,716

Post#620 » by WarriorGM » Fri May 24, 2019 8:29 pm

NinjaSheppard wrote:No one is talking about how Steph Curry was exposed against the Rockets and he had a brutal series but his teammates managed to keep him in it for the most part until he took over one half.

No one is talking about it because he was exposed until he wasn't. If he was playing well and then KD went down and he played awful that's one thing, but playing badly with KD but then playing well without him is another.

Return to Player Comparisons