Chris Paul is the Best Point Guard

Moderators: trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0

2poor
RealGM
And1: 1
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#81 » by 2poor » Thu Feb 7, 2008 6:58 pm

I don't really have any issue (nor am I surprised) that a Jazz fan is enamored with Deron, you have good reason.

I'm just not interested in the pathetic attempts to downplay Paul by bringing up stupid things that carry no weight.

Not saying you're doing it, but the commonalities that exist in these Deron/CP3 debates are;

-stats don't matter (but they do)
-team success (we're comparing individuals, right?)
-hearsay (bigger = better defender/steals = worse defender)

it just gets old. support your guy by all means, but the pathetic attempts to downplay Paul just point out who the bitter homers are.
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,904

Post#82 » by G35 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 7:21 pm

2poor wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

selective attention does wonders.

keep on bringing up pathetic points in hopes that it somehow gives the edge to Deron. after all, this is what most Deron-related points are; pot shots and hearsay.

I'm not talking about just Deron. I think that Billups, Baron and Deron give Paul a run for his money. The same thing that happens to Nash is that physical players give him problems.

You don't have to agree but Detroit, GS and Utah have beaten them by double digits........
I'm so tired of the typical......
2poor
RealGM
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#83 » by 2poor » Thu Feb 7, 2008 7:25 pm

Hornets have also beat GS by double-digits (with Paul outplaying Baron), and in the game they lost to Detroit, Billups had an equally abysmal line. Not to mention, in their most recent loss to GS, you seem to be overlooking the fact that Paul had 28pts on 50% shooting, 12 assists, and a couple of steals. Davis had 23 pts on 50% shooting, and 9 assists. So it isn't as if Paul (or his size) had anything to do with that loss.

Utah, can't really say I guess. The longest losing streaks the Hornets have had this year are 3 games, twice. The third loss in both situations came in blowout fashions against Utah. So yeah, I'm not really going to make excuses but I'm not going to say that Utah and NO have really ever met with both teams playing full strength and firing on all cylinders.

After the first 3 game losing streak, the Hornets went on a stretch where they won 23/30 games. This most recent losing streak was just ended by arguably one of the best games in the NBA this season.

And like I said before, if you really want to debate the two, as individuals, you'd look at their individual match-ups and the outcome of said match-ups. Doing so reveals a 5-3 edge in Paul's favor. But this is where the hearsay and "stats don't matter" BS starts flowing.
G35
RealGM

Post#84 » by G35 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 9:25 pm

2poor wrote:Hornets have also beat GS by double-digits (with Paul outplaying Baron), and in the game they lost to Detroit, Billups had an equally abysmal line. Not to mention, in their most recent loss to GS, you seem to be overlooking the fact that Paul had 28pts on 50% shooting, 12 assists, and a couple of steals. Davis had 23 pts on 50% shooting, and 9 assists. So it isn't as if Paul (or his size) had anything to do with that loss.

Utah, can't really say I guess. The longest losing streaks the Hornets have had this year are 3 games, twice. The third loss in both situations came in blowout fashions against Utah. So yeah, I'm not really going to make excuses but I'm not going to say that Utah and NO have really ever met with both teams playing full strength and firing on all cylinders.

After the first 3 game losing streak, the Hornets went on a stretch where they won 23/30 games. This most recent losing streak was just ended by arguably one of the best games in the NBA this season.

And like I said before, if you really want to debate the two, as individuals, you'd look at their individual match-ups and the outcome of said match-ups. Doing so reveals a 5-3 edge in Paul's favor. But this is where the hearsay and "stats don't matter" BS starts flowing.

Imo being a point guard isn't all about just assists. It's in running the offense and being the coach on the floor. A PG is right there in importance with a C in the effect on team success. So when a PG has great numbers but their team gets blown out, that means the PG didn't manage the game.

I'm guessing Paul would outscore John Stockton and Magic Johnson. That doesn't mean he is a better PG........
Patterns
Banned User
And1: 18

Post#85 » by Patterns » Thu Feb 7, 2008 9:27 pm

G35 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Imo being a point guard isn't all about just assists. It's in running the offense and being the coach on the floor. A PG is right there in importance with a C in the effect on team success. So when a PG has great numbers but their team gets blown out, that means the PG didn't manage the game.

I'm guessing Paul would outscore John Stockton and Magic Johnson. That doesn't mean he is a better PG........

If you don't think Paul can run an offense, you're crazy. He's just as good as Nash at running the offense. The Hornets look so much better with Paul on the floor, it isn't even funny.
G35
RealGM

Post#86 » by G35 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 9:35 pm

Patterns wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

If you don't think Paul can run an offense, you're crazy. He's just as good as Nash at running the offense. The Hornets look so much better with Paul on the floor, it isn't even funny.

Of course. The Lakers look better with Fisher/Farmar than Smush that doesn't make them the best PG's in the league.

I'm saying that Paul isn't hands down the best PG in the league. I'm saying Billups/Deron/Baron match up very well with Paul. And their team success has shown it......
2poor
RealGM

Post#87 » by 2poor » Thu Feb 7, 2008 9:37 pm

He's reaching, and I'm not sure the points he's making are especially valid.

Chris Paul runs a pretty damn good offense.

He's as much a threat to pass as he is to score.

He's been a leader since he stepped onto the floor.

He is their "coach" on the floor, and in fact his ability to adjust on the fly has done a pretty good job of masking Byron Scott's struggles with in-game coaching/adjustments...he just lets Paul do it himself.

I kind of scoff at the insinuation you're making that Paul doesn't know how to manage a game. His killer instinct is not to be denied, and he knows as well as anyone when he needs to get others involved or when he needs carry the load. Anyone who watches him on a regular basis sees this clear as day.

You're quite simply taking the homer approach of trying to downplay one guy to inflate another; nobody is buying it except for your fellow homers.
kookie_819
Assistant Coach
And1: 55

Post#88 » by kookie_819 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 9:43 pm

2poor wrote:He's reaching, and I'm not sure the points he's making are especially valid.

He is their "coach" on the floor, and in fact his ability to adjust on the fly has done a pretty good job of masking Byron Scott's struggles with in-game coaching/adjustments...he just lets Paul do it himself.

I kind of scoff at the insinuation you're making that Paul doesn't know how to manage a game. His killer instinct is not to be denied, and he knows as well as anyone when he needs to get others involved or when he needs carry the load. Anyone who watches him on a regular basis sees this clear as day.

You're quite simply taking the homer approach of trying to downplay one guy to inflate another; nobody is buying it except for your fellow homers.

Well said, and I for one cannot believe the insecurity these Jazz fans have.

To Jazz fans: You have a good, no, great, young PG, who will be a top-3 PG soon (if not already). He's not as good as Paul, but deal with it. You guys have great veterans as well as lots of youth to build. Isn't that good enough? :nonono:
G35
RealGM

Post#89 » by G35 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 10:09 pm

2poor wrote:He's reaching, and I'm not sure the points he's making are especially valid.

See you guys are taking it too personal. I'm not saying he isn't a good PG or even an elite PG.

But the title of this thread is Chris Paul is the "BEST" PG so that opens him up to discussion. I don't think he is the best PG. I think it's a debate between Nash, Baron, Deron, Billups. It's not just about PER or stats when evaluating a PG or else you can throw Iverson up in this too.........
2poor
RealGM

Post#90 » by 2poor » Thu Feb 7, 2008 10:42 pm

meh, I didn't start the thread nor was I the one(s) to start derailing it with another lame Deron v. Paul thread.

If you feel differently, then make a point for it...all I see are half-assed attempts at degrading Chris Paul...attempts which I'm debating against.

Guess I could mention that the Hornets are now 3-0 against the Suns this year with Paul averaging 30/10/4/4 in those games; they're a pretty good team with supposedly the best PG running the show.

:dontknow:
Patterns
Banned User
And1: 18

Post#91 » by Patterns » Thu Feb 7, 2008 10:59 pm

G35 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

See you guys are taking it too personal. I'm not saying he isn't a good PG or even an elite PG.

But the title of this thread is Chris Paul is the "BEST" PG so that opens him up to discussion. I don't think he is the best PG. I think it's a debate between Nash, Baron, Deron, Billups. It's not just about PER or stats when evaluating a PG or else you can throw Iverson up in this too.........

I think you've never seen CP play in your life. Not only is Paul the engine of New Orleans, he's also the 4 wheels, the steering wheel, the gas, and everything else.
Pai Gow
Lead Assistant

Post#92 » by Pai Gow » Thu Feb 7, 2008 11:14 pm

Patterns wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I think you've never seen CP play in your life. Not only is Paul the engine of New Orleans, he's also the 4 wheels, the steering wheel, the gas, and everything else.

Really? Chandler, West and Peja (you know the guy who bailed out NO's after Paul went 0-2 for game winners) have nothing to do with it? And you people call Jazz fans homers?
G35
RealGM

Post#93 » by G35 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 11:38 pm

2poor wrote:meh, I didn't start the thread nor was I the one(s) to start derailing it with another lame Deron v. Paul thread.

If you feel differently, then make a point for it...all I see are half-assed attempts at degrading Chris Paul...attempts which I'm debating against.

Guess I could mention that the Hornets are now 3-0 against the Suns this year with Paul averaging 30/10/4/4 in those games; they're a pretty good team with supposedly the best PG running the show.

:dontknow:

Point Guard (PG), also known as the one or "the ball-handler", is one of the five traditional positions of a basketball team. Typically, being quicker and shorter than even a shooting guard, the more speed a point guard has, the more likely he/she will be able to create separation and space off the dribble, which allows the guard room to work. While a shooting guard's primary responsibility is to score points through perimeter shooting, a true point guard's job is to create scoring opportunities for his/her team.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_y ... 2007112326

NO FG% .329 Utah .474

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_y ... 2007120503

NO FG% .347 Det .412

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_y ... 2007123103

NO FG% .434 Tor .512

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_y ... 2008010409

NO FG% .483 GS .532

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_y ... 2008013003

NO FG% .423 GS .523

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_y ... 2008020426

NO FG% .449 GS .506

Yeah I'm reaching. I'm just making things up. But somehow these other PG's are pretty efficient when playing against Paul.

Change the title. Say Paul is the best at PG at stealing the ball, he has the best PER, say he is more valuable to his team. But the statement that he is the best PG is not a given. It's surprising with the shooters that Paul has that they don't shoot better as a team.

Phx leads the league (Nash), Jazz are 2nd (Deron), Detroit is 9th (Billups), Raptors 7th (Calderon), Hornets are 10th (CP), Warriors 14th (Baron)

PG is managing the team, not just yourself. I don't see Paul doing that better than these other guys........
trueblue8to5
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#94 » by trueblue8to5 » Fri Feb 8, 2008 12:04 am

I think the biggest understatement here is Paul's value to New Orleans' defense scheme. Paul isn't a good man defender, but when you have great interior defenders like West and Chandler, he can afford to gamble a bit, and he's great a generating turnovers.

In a sense, he's nearly a perfect fit, Peterson is a good wing defender, Peja is average, but he knows where to be. Paul is the ball-hawk, disruptor, and though the offense he runs is overrated, the way he fits into his defensive scheme is what is really winning the Hornets ball-games.
2poor
RealGM

Post#95 » by 2poor » Fri Feb 8, 2008 12:04 am

Why don't you look at the individual match-ups then?

Chris Paul has won 38 and lost 4.

link

No clue what you're trying to accomplish, isn't really working. The Raptors box score for instance is a game where Paul had 23 points and 16 assists. David West was 15-21 from the floor. What the hell is the point?

I think your statement about how Paul "manages" his guys kind of speaks to your ignorance on this subject. I've watched this team stumble along without Paul and it sure isn't pretty. When he went down last year they immediately lost 8 games in a row. Without him, this team is at best a .500 club, if that.
Pai Gow
Lead Assistant

Post#96 » by Pai Gow » Fri Feb 8, 2008 12:17 am

2poor wrote:Why don't you look at the individual match-ups then?

link

No clue what you're trying to accomplish, isn't really working. The Raptors box score for instance is a game where Paul had 23 points and 16 assists. David West was 15-21 from the floor. What the hell is the point?

I think your statement about how Paul "manages" his guys kind of speaks to your ignorance on this subject. I've watched this team stumble along without Paul and it sure isn't pretty. When he went down last year they immediately lost 8 games in a row. Without him, this team is at best a .500 club, if that.

Thats a pretty ridiculous link, it doesn't even account for the last match-up of Deron vs. Paul and instead uses Pargo...
2poor
RealGM

Post#97 » by 2poor » Fri Feb 8, 2008 12:25 am

AKsWill wrote:Thats a pretty ridiculous link, it doesn't even account for the last match-up of Deron vs. Paul and instead uses Pargo...

what?

it is listed as one of his 4 losses, and he and Pargo split time because of his foul trouble.

Feb 4 vs D. Williams L 88-110 3 38 -35
Pai Gow
Lead Assistant

Post#98 » by Pai Gow » Fri Feb 8, 2008 12:29 am

2poor wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

what?

it is listed as one of his 4 losses, and he and Pargo split time because of his foul trouble.

Feb 4 vs D. Williams L 88-110 3 38 -35

Sorry I meant in Deron's profile it was only showing up as Pargo.
G35
RealGM

Post#99 » by G35 » Fri Feb 8, 2008 12:34 am

2poor wrote:Why don't you look at the individual match-ups then?

link

You know if you don't want to hear other people opinions then just read people who love Paul or stay on the Hornet boards. But you aren't even trying to give a decent reply to what I'm saying.

And you are being hypocritical because you are a homer. The only guy you could say I would root for over any other would be Baron because I'm from Oakland. Other than that you are making assumptions about me being a homer for Deron.

I didn't know onlly West and Paul mattered to the Hornets because in that Raptor game only Paul and West shot over .500 FG%. Pargo went 1-7, Peterson went 2-9, Bobby Jackson went 1-4, Butler went 1-6. But hey Paul had a good game who cares about the rest of the team.

Btw any team that can lose it's "MVP" and still play .500 is still pretty good. If the Hornets crashed and burned like the Heat or Minnesota then maybe that would mean something........
2poor
RealGM

Post#100 » by 2poor » Fri Feb 8, 2008 12:35 am

You're not even making sense anymore. Now its Chris Paul's fault that other guys can't hit shots.

Return to Player Comparisons