Derrick Rose is scary good

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Jvaughn
RealGM
And1: 4,126

Re: Derrick Rose is scary good 

Post#181 » by Jvaughn » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:21 pm

richboy wrote:I've rarely watched Rose play and think he is out of control.

You don't know what you're missing. The only times Rose is really out of control is when he tries to take the whole defense on in fast breaks, or he gets in the air, and doesn't have anywhere to go. Outside of that he is rarely out of control.
spearsy23 wrote:Kobe is a low percentage chucker just like Jennings, he's just better at it.

teamCHItown wrote:Now we have threads on what violent felons think of our Bulls. Great. Next up, OJ Simpson's take on a possible Taj Gibson extension.
dream_catcher_9
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#182 » by dream_catcher_9 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:29 pm

Jvaughn wrote:

You don't know what you're missing. The only times Rose is really out of control is when he tries to take the whole defense on in fast breaks, or he gets in the air, and doesn't have anywhere to go. Outside of that he is rarely out of control.

richboy agrees with you. He was saying that whenever he watches Rose play he is rarely out of control, he just worded it differently.
Jvaughn
RealGM

Post#183 » by Jvaughn » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:45 pm

dream_catcher_9 wrote:
Jvaughn wrote:

richboy agrees with you. He was saying that whenever he watches Rose play he is rarely out of control, he just worded it differently.

Ah I see now. I thought he was saying he's rarely watched Rose............and he thought that he was out of control. Was just saying he's rarely seen him out of control. My mistake, carry on.
spearsy23 wrote:Kobe is a low percentage chucker just like Jennings, he's just better at it.

teamCHItown wrote:Now we have threads on what violent felons think of our Bulls. Great. Next up, OJ Simpson's take on a possible Taj Gibson extension.
dream_catcher_9
Veteran

Post#184 » by dream_catcher_9 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:49 pm

I pretty much agree with richboy on his thoughts on Westbrook. The guy sometimes doesn't have a clue what he is doing yet still is super productive thanks to his athleticism and hustle.

However I would take Rose over Westbrook right now. Rose is a much better creator of offense when the clock is winding down, and plays more fundamentally sound. His BBall IQ is much higher. Westbrook could improve on those areas to make him a better player than Rose in time, but I'm not too sure he can improve his BBall IQ that much.
Legendary 33
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#185 » by Legendary 33 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:09 pm

I think Rose still has a lot he could improve on. Particularly defensively. He is a good defender, but he's not among the elite..which I fully think he's capable of being, with his athleticism and work ethic.

Also, I understand that injuries are a part of the game but its pretty scary to imagine how productive Rose would be already this season if Boozer had been healthy.. we'll see what happens when Boozer returns next week
MSGBallerz
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#186 » by MSGBallerz » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:32 pm

He could also use a better jumpshot, a midrange game, a post game, contact drawing ability, as well as repairs for all the other various flaws in his game.
SeniorWalker
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,855
Location: at the event horizon and well on my way in, but you're wondering when i'll get there

Post#187 » by SeniorWalker » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:34 pm

^ Sweet.

Will let him know.

Thank you.
"And always remember: one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, knick knack, paddy whack, give a dog a bone, two thousand, zero, zero, party, oops! Out of time, my bacon smellin' fine."
ChiTownLegend85
Sophomore
And1: 8

Post#188 » by ChiTownLegend85 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:51 pm

I'm not buying the whole Rose being maxed out about 90% of what he is capable of reaching. He has a lot of room to grow in his defense.... In a recent interview, like 1-2 weeks ago, Assistant Coach Ron Adams mentioned something like, "there are some good things and bad things about Derrick Rose... One of the bad things is that he is still raw. And that's a bad thing for opposing teams." And then he started to chuckle a little bit. Then he went on to talk about his defense, how they expect him to be one of the best point guard defenders. Adams said that there is no reason why he is not going to be one of the top defenders because of his physical abilities.

Last year, I personally thought that Derrick Rose would never be a very good defender because I thought that he had slow feet, and his reaction was too slow... Well, I was wrong. I see a more active defender, someone who is now anticipating movements, but one thing that he still needs to improve on is his pick and roll defense (fighting off of those screens). He has gotten better, but he can still get a lot better.

As for passing, he is better this year, and I don't see why he won't get better... In the future, I can easily see him averaging around 9 assist per game, if not more... I don't think he'll ever be as good as CP3/DWill/Rondo, but he will be good though. He is too fast and always draws defenders towards him, which breaks down the opposing defense. He is averaging 8 assist at the moment, and with Boozer coming back, I wouldn't be surprised if he raises it to around 9 asts per game.

As for Shooting the 3 ball... Rose will get better.

IMO, at 22 years of age, I would say that Rose is around 75-80% of reaching his potential. What he is good at is his mid-range game, driving in and finishing around the basket, and... thats about it. What he will get better in is his 3pt shot, his passing skills, and defense... What we are also hoping for is that he draws more foul calls... He has improved, but the only way Rose might get more calls is if he becomes more of an actor/flopper... And I'm not sure if Rose really wants to be that way.

Comparing Westbrook and Rose, and who has the most potential...I believe Russel is an outstanding basketball player, a very good all-around point guard. That being said, I don't really believe it should be about who has the most potential, rather, who has the best chance of developing it and overall being the better player. IMO, I believe it's DRose. DRose has a better feel for the game; other people like to see it as Basketball IQ. Some players get better, but many don't. That is huge, and a lot of times, underrated. Also, Rose has that, almost Kobe mentality... He is a huge competitor that desperately wants to win.
Jvaughn
RealGM

Post#189 » by Jvaughn » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:01 am

MSGBallerz wrote:He could also use a better jumpshot, a midrange game, a post game, contact drawing ability, as well as repairs for all the other various flaws in his game.

Green font function broke again? You're aware that Rose was top 5 in mid range last year, and the top PG in that category right?

dream_catcher_9
Veteran

Post#190 » by dream_catcher_9 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:07 am

ChiTownLegend85 wrote:Comparing Westbrook and Rose, and who has the most potential...I believe Russel is an outstanding basketball player, a very good all-around point guard. That being said, I don't really believe it should be about who has the most potential, rather, who has the best chance of developing it and overall being the better player. IMO, I believe it's DRose. DRose has a better feel for the game; other people like to see it as Basketball IQ. Some players get better, but many don't. That is huge, and a lot of times, underrated. Also, Rose has that, almost Kobe mentality... He is a huge competitor that desperately wants to win.

Id rather have Rose, but I think Westbrook is just as much a competitor and has the same type of work ethic. Just look at what Westbrook was as a freshman in college to now, the growth has been incredible. Not surprisingly they work out together, probably feed of each other.

Return to Player Comparisons