Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,475

Re: Game Footage Link Thread 

Post#561 » by 70sFan » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:30 pm

lorak wrote:
70sFan wrote:

I'm searching for Oscar full games footage as much as possible. If you have some of his rare games or parts of games unavailable on YT, I would appreciate to see that.

I don't know when did you find this game, but thank you very much!!! I just ended watching full video and I'm quite suprise by some guys.

Clyde Lee was definitely impactfull player - if not his 6th foul (questionable BTW) Royals might have not won this game. Without Thurmond and with Clyde out of the game Warriors didn't have decent backup center.

Jerry Lucas was pretty quick and coordinated. He even run pick and roll with Clyde Lee which was interesting to see. In this particular game he didn't use his outside shot that much, he mostly focused on creating missmatches down low against smaller Royals (mainly Green). He always looks to me like very inteligent player when I watch him and here there is no difference.

Joe Ellis had probably his career night and announcer went crazy every time he made a shot. Showed some midrange game (even shot tough contested shimmy shot).

Rookie Van Lier showed some great effort on defensive end, but his agressive style of play turned against him, as he picked 6 fouls in just 21 minutes. Later he would become more patient and fundametally sound defender (and one of the best at his position).

Van Arsdale shot at stupid volume - 27 shots in 26 minutes. He also didn't bring much besides shooting. He made some tough shots, but overall it's not his best game. He made up all the mistakes with game winner though, which is quite awkward - Warriors left him almost wide open in midrange area.

Johnny Green looks impressive to me. At the age of 37 he was the most athletic player on the floor. His passion and awareness to rebound the ball reminds me Rodman a bit. He also had quick hands, although he gambled too much against Lucas which gave Jerry easy points on FT line.

Dierking played all game (48 minutes) and scored game-high 33 points. He made some awkward sweeping hooks and shot many FTs. Looks quite mobile for his size, but wasn't good defender (weak rim protector and post defender).

Finally Oscar - Big O looks like he didn't care in first 3 quarters, then he scored 10 of his 19 poinst in the 4th without even sweating. What is interesting is that he scored only of his jumper - we don't see him penetrating to the hoop that game. He's very patient and doesn't hold the ball that much. Maybe it's because of Cousy's gameplan, but many times Robertson didn't even handle the ball on offense. Which is strange and completely different from what we've seen on other footage available. He also stepped up his defense in the 4th quarter and showed some nice effort. As I've said earlier, he's probably the biggest handchecker in NBA history (he used his hands on D all the time). He also had a few nice passes, but it's not the most representative game for his playmaking abilities.
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,864

Post#562 » by Goudelock » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:49 pm

Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#563 » by Johnlac1 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:10 pm

70sFan wrote:
lorak wrote:
70sFan wrote:

I'm searching for Oscar full games footage as much as possible. If you have some of his rare games or parts of games unavailable on YT, I would appreciate to see that.

I don't know when did you find this game, but thank you very much!!! I just ended watching full video and I'm quite suprise by some guys.

Clyde Lee was definitely impactfull player - if not his 6th foul (questionable BTW) Royals might have not won this game. Without Thurmond and with Clyde out of the game Warriors didn't have decent backup center.

Jerry Lucas was pretty quick and coordinated. He even run pick and roll with Clyde Lee which was interesting to see. In this particular game he didn't use his outside shot that much, he mostly focused on creating missmatches down low against smaller Royals (mainly Green). He always looks to me like very inteligent player when I watch him and here there is no difference.

Joe Ellis had probably his career night and announcer went crazy every time he made a shot. Showed some midrange game (even shot tough contested shimmy shot).

Rookie Van Lier showed some great effort on defensive end, but his agressive style of play turned against him, as he picked 6 fouls in just 21 minutes. Later he would become more patient and fundametally sound defender (and one of the best at his position).

Van Arsdale shot at stupid volume - 27 shots in 26 minutes. He also didn't bring much besides shooting. He made some tough shots, but overall it's not his best game. He made up all the mistakes with game winner though, which is quite awkward - Warriors left him almost wide open in midrange area.

Johnny Green looks impressive to me. At the age of 37 he was the most athletic player on the floor. His passion and awareness to rebound the ball reminds me Rodman a bit. He also had quick hands, although he gambled too much against Lucas which gave Jerry easy points on FT line.

Dierking played all game (48 minutes) and scored game-high 33 points. He made some awkward sweeping hooks and shot many FTs. Looks quite mobile for his size, but wasn't good defender (weak rim protector and post defender).

Finally Oscar - Big O looks like he didn't care in first 3 quarters, then he scored 10 of his 19 poinst in the 4th without even sweating. What is interesting is that he scored only of his jumper - we don't see him penetrating to the hoop that game. He's very patient and doesn't hold the ball that much. Maybe it's because of Cousy's gameplan, but many times Robertson didn't even handle the ball on offense. Which is strange and completely different from what we've seen on other footage available. He also stepped up his defense in the 4th quarter and showed some nice effort. As I've said earlier, he's probably the biggest handchecker in NBA history (he used his hands on D all the time). He also had a few nice passes, but it's not the most representative game for his playmaking abilities.
Bob Cousy was hired as coach that season and changed the way the Royals and Robertson played. The hiring of Cousy by the Royals was somewhat controversial. One of the first things Cousy did after being hired was announce that he thought Robertson handled the ball too much. Yes, deciding that the greatest pg in the history of the game up to that point was handling the ball too much was idiotic.
So Robertson and Cousy were at loggerheads from the start. That probably, as much as anything else, had a lot to do with Oscar leaving the Royals after that season for the Bucks where he was much happier and won a title. If it appears Oscar was not trying to score or handle the ball much the first three quarters it's because he was trying to play the way he thought Cousy wanted him to play. But it's evident that when he wanted to score, he scored.
The problem with the Royals during Robertson's years there was not him handling the ball too much, but simply not enough talent to overcome Boston and Philly. The Royals were never able to get the key players to complement Robertson and Lucas (chiefly a strong def. center) and simply weren't good enough to beat Boston and later the super strong Chamberlain-led Sixers.
Cousy left the pro coaching thing to coach college ball at Boston College where he was a lot more successful.
Too bad Oscar couldn't have gone to Milwaukee a year earlier or at least been healthier his final years in the league.
wojoaderge
Veteran
And1: 1,488

Post#564 » by wojoaderge » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:57 pm

"Coach, why don't you just relax? We're not good enough to beat the Lakers. We've had a great year, why don't you just relax and cool down?"
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Post#565 » by Quotatious » Mon Feb 6, 2017 12:38 pm

I just started to like Dwight more. :lol:
70sFan
RealGM

Post#566 » by 70sFan » Thu Mar 9, 2017 9:21 pm

Does anybody have 1978 or 1979 Lakers games? I mean the Lakers team with Dantley-Wilkes duo at forward spots. I'd like to watch how AD played with such a dominant post presence in Kareem.
wojoaderge
Veteran
And1: 1,488

Post#567 » by wojoaderge » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:44 pm

70sFan wrote:Does anybody have 1978 or 1979 Lakers games? I mean the Lakers team with Dantley-Wilkes duo at forward spots. I'd like to watch how AD played with such a dominant post presence in Kareem.

I made this video for the team I drafted for one of the those all-time games on this board. There are quite a few A.D. highlights from a contest against the Warriors on February 19, 1978, but you'll have to search them out if you don't want to watch the whole thing

I have a Blazers-Lakers game from '78 (no Walton) that I haven't even watched yet. There's about 10 or so games from these two seasons floating around.
"Coach, why don't you just relax? We're not good enough to beat the Lakers. We've had a great year, why don't you just relax and cool down?"
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#568 » by Goudelock » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:57 pm

Dominique's spin move to his left seemed to be unblockable, but it wasn't on this possession in 1988.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#569 » by 70sFan » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:10 am

Is there any chance to find some rare footage about 1950s and 1960s Hawks? It's quite interesting team but the lack of footage is hurting me.

I know we have WCA Pettit mix and very brief NBA In Memoriam Video about Clyde Lovellette. We don't have anything of Cliff Hagan though and very little of Lenny Wilkens during his Hawks career. Is there any chance to find some rare parts of games (like Nats vs Knicks from 1961) or documentary footage?

I would be very grateful for any videos about Cliff Hagan. Right now I've found about one minute of footage with him, but it's still not enough to even make small tribute video...
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#570 » by Quotatious » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:54 pm

That performance by Bird in the first quarter... :o GOAT level offensive basketball, just jaw-dropping.

I feel like that 13-14 feet floater/one legged shot leaning towards the basket that Bird had, still hasn't been duplicated by another player of his size. Even guards usually do that off a jump, not a stationary shot like Larry did. It takes a combination of great balance/body control and shooting touch, to do that.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,506

Post#571 » by GSP » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:58 am

Quotatious wrote:

That performance by Bird in the first quarter... :o GOAT level offensive basketball, just jaw-dropping.

I feel like that 13-14 feet floater/one legged shot leaning towards the basket that Bird had, still hasn't been duplicated by another player of his size. Even guards usually do that off a jump, not a stationary shot like Larry did. It takes a combination of great balance/body control and shooting touch, to do that.

88 Bird is the Goat offensive season IMO
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#572 » by Quotatious » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:53 pm

GSP wrote:88 Bird is the Goat offensive season IMO

I disagree, because he was terrible as a scorer in ECF against the Pistons. I know, it's a small sample size, just one series, but those were extremely important games, and considering the Celtics lost four of those games by single digit points, those were also winnable games, if Bird shot the ball better. He averaged less than 20 ppg on 45% TS...that's inexcusable.

Anyway, in the regular season, and first two playoff rounds that year, Bird was arguably at top 5 all-time level in terms of offensive performance. I just can't give him a pass for struggling so much against great competition (I mean the Pistons). Requirements for GOAT anything, in the NBA, are extremely high, you have to have basically a flawless season to be that (like '87 Magic or '91 Jordan), and that ECF series pretty much excludes '88 Bird from contention for GOAT offensive season.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#573 » by 70sFan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:52 am

Any 1980-82 Bulls games? The only one I've seen is 1979 game against Lakers. I know the 1981 playoffs game against the Celtics is available becausr we have Bird highlights on YT, but I'm more interested in Artis Gilmore who played really well against strong Celtics frontcourt.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,243

Post#574 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:05 am

ap1853
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#575 » by ap1853 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:27 am

a must watch!
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#576 » by Goudelock » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:36 am

70sFan wrote:...

I thought that this game would interest you, since there's a lot of 70's guys in here, alone with a plethora of 60's legends.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#577 » by 70sFan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:34 pm

Just another regular center from 60s...

Seriously though, Beaty was really good, very consistent player. Not great, but decent rebounder and very good defender. All-around skilled offensively too. He was at best 4-5th best center in his generation though, which shows how stacked the position was then.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#578 » by Johnlac1 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:52 pm

70sFan wrote:Just another regular center from 60s...

Seriously though, Beaty was really good, very consistent player. Not great, but decent rebounder and very good defender. All-around skilled offensively too. He was at best 4-5th best center in his generation though, which shows how stacked the position was then.
The Hawks had some pretty good teams in the sixties even after Pettit retired. They had Beatty, Hudson, Caldwell, Hazzard, Bridges, Wilkens, Silas, Bellamy at various stages.
After losing in the '61 finals to the Celtics they made it to six more WC or Division finals in the decade. But they couldn't get past either the Lakers or the Warriors in the div. finals. They lost three seven game div. finals.
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#579 » by Goudelock » Sun Apr 2, 2017 1:59 am

There's so much footage of T-Mac from his days in Orlando (there has to be complete scoring highlights from at least 60 games) just laying around the dark corners of youtube. Someone really needs to turn that into a decent video....
70sFan
RealGM

Post#580 » by 70sFan » Sun Apr 2, 2017 12:03 pm

PockyCandy wrote:...

I know you thought about making McGinnis video and I think it's the right time to do that (of course if you still want to make that one).

Return to Player Comparisons