Game Footage Link Thread

Moderators: Doctor MJ, penbeast0, PaulieWal, Quotatious, Clyde Frazier, trex_8063

User avatar
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 16,180
And1: 17,700
Joined: Sep 07, 2010

Re: Game Footage Link Thread 

Post#861 » by Clyde Frazier » Fri Jul 5, 2019 6:46 am



Injuries suck :(
70sFan
RealGM
Posts: 12,698
And1: 8,682
Joined: Aug 11, 2015
 

Re: Game Footage Link Thread 

Post#862 » by 70sFan » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:58 am

As you've probably heard, I'm trying to digitize and purchase licension for very rare NBA games from archive.
I created account on gogetfunding and that gives you all possibility to make one-time donation:

https://gogetfunding.com/game-3-of-1964-nba-finals-footage/

I hope that will make it easier for us to collect enough money. This game costs $235 plus additional VAT costs (around $280 overall).
70sFan
RealGM
Posts: 12,698
And1: 8,682
Joined: Aug 11, 2015
 

Re: Game Footage Link Thread 

Post#863 » by 70sFan » Tue Oct 1, 2019 10:29 pm





I hope that you'll help me either by donations or by spreading this video around Internet. Thanks in advance :)
agetro23
Freshman
Posts: 88
And1: 25
Joined: Nov 06, 2013

Re: Game Footage Link Thread 

Post#864 » by agetro23 » Sat Oct 5, 2019 3:30 am

Dwyane Wade Highlights from his prime

Circa 2005-2012


Dude was a complete monster.
70sFan
RealGM
Posts: 12,698
And1: 8,682
Joined: Aug 11, 2015
 

Re: Game Footage Link Thread 

Post#865 » by 70sFan » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:17 pm



When people talk about the greatest ISO scorer, they usually mention greats like Jordan, Kobe, Durant or Harden. There was one player who played in the 1980s that was arguably better than all of them and he rarely gets mentions.

Listed at 6'5, Dantley was never the fastest or most athletic player on the floor. He didn't even try to dunk the ball and had one of the slowest releases in NBA history. It's even more suprising that he made his career as a post up scoring forward, who consistently faced much bigger, stronger and more athletic players.

Instead of overpowering or outquicking opponents, Dantley used his mind to break down defenses. Patience is his strength, he could wait years for one opening, one minor mistake and after that you couldn't have done anything to stop him. That along with unmatched ability to use his wide frame enabled him to make the best defenders in the league look like complete fools.

When thinking of ability to draw fouls, most people immediatly think about James Harden. Dantley was Harden 30 years before Harden in that aspect - he used his arms and elbows to draw contact, he dribbled the ball very high to fool defenders that they could steal it, he mastered the pump fake better than anybody in NBA history.

The video is splitted into three categories - midrange game, drives and post ups. Enjoy the master in work!
Jackin 10
Ballboy
Posts: 1
And1: 0
Joined: Nov 01, 2019

Re: Game Footage Link Thread 

Post#866 » by Jackin 10 » Mon Nov 4, 2019 11:13 am

....
Blackmill
Senior
Posts: 512
And1: 463
Joined: May 03, 2015

Re: Game Footage Link Thread 

Post#867 » by Blackmill » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:57 am

Rewatched 1977 Blazers vs. Lakers, Games 2 & 4 (for the 8th time?).

Worth noting is both games 2 and 4 were close entering the 4th quarter. In game 2 the Lakers led by 7 while in game 4 the Blazers led by 6. So it was interesting for me to explore why the Lakers lost these games. These quarters were very fun to watch. Here's a summary accompanied with some analysis.

Game 2

In game 2, the Lakers started the 4th quarter with Kareem on the bench. They made a basket on the first play, pushing the lead to 9 points, but they followed that up by committing 3 consecutive turnovers and the lead was cut to 5. A theme throughout this series was the Lakers lack of playmaking and ball handling from the guards. They were severely lacking in these areas by any standard.

The next several minutes were simply an instance of one team making shots and the other team missing. The Blazers went on a stretch of hot shooting, draining 5/6 long 2s, mostly thanks to Herm Gilliam. Meanwhile the Lakers missed 4 wide open shots. Somehow the Lakers were still up by 5, thanks to Kareem, who had returned to the game. He stifled several attempts at the rim, while drawing fouls, passing to open cutters, and making his own shots.

Still, Herm was having the quarter of his career, and continued to drain shot after shot. This included a remarkable "karate kick", off balance jumper to bring the Blazers within 1. What a moment for him! At this point, there's 3:00 left in the game. The Blazers catch a break as a ticky-tack foul is called on Kareem late in the shot clock, giving the Blazers another chance to score, which Bill Walton capitalizes on. The Blazers now have the lead with a little over 2:00 left in the game, but unfortunately the footage ends here.

I don't know if it was intentional, but the Blazers succeeding at baiting the Lakers into a long range shooting contest. They aggressively pressured the ball handler while often having a player leave his man to threaten any post entry pass, creating several turnovers, but even when this pressure lead to breakdowns it seemed to favor the Blazers. These breakdowns usually led to open jumpers, but the Lakers back court was not going to beat the Blazers in a shooting contest, not with how Herm was playing.

The Lakers chance to win, and how they had built a lead, was by playing through Kareem. Each time they took a jump shot without Kareem touching the ball was a victory for the Blazers. It's worth noting that Kareem was extremely effective when he did touch the ball in the 4th. He scored 8 points in this quarter on very few touches. Gilliam shot brilliantly, the Blazers preyed upon the Lakers ball handlers, and Kareem had as good a quarter as you can expect with everything else falling apart.

Game 4

In game 4, the Lakers started the quarter down by 6. Kareem had five fouls, and per the commentators, the Blazers lead was unsurprisingly developed with Kareem on the bench. Like in game 2, the Lakers backcourt made several turnovers to start the 4th, and would continue to do so until the end of the game. The Lakers also didn't learn from their previous losses, as they were again baited into long jumpers rather than playing through Kareem.

Kareem was very effective at defending Walton in this quarter. Walton would only go 2-7 against Kareem. And crucially, the Lakers fast break had most of its success on Walton misses, since he was more likely to be out of the play. Either 3 or 4 of these Walton misses lead to successful fast breaks. This was maybe the only positive contribution by the Lakers back court. Aside from shutting down Walton, Kareem erased five or six plays at the rim in this quarter between blocked shots and general deterrence, and seized several 50/50 rebounds.

The quarter is ugly for the Lakers offense with a lot a "hot potato" by the Lakers guards as they tried to figure out the Blazers ball pressure. There's no standout play from either side compared to the 4th quarter in game 2. The play is scrappy and both sides struggle to score. Kareem makes two brutal turnovers down the stretch. There are too many bodies around him and all the Lakers and Blazers are packed into the paint. That said, and the Lakers are only down by 5 points and there's two minutes left.

Kareem smartly doubles Hollins off Walton with the shot clock running out, and forces a violation. Unbelievably, Newman forces a contested jump shot on the following Lakers possession. At this point the footage starts to become corrupted, but we see Kareem makes at least one more shot, though it's not enough for them to comeback as only a minute or so remains. I believe Kareem scored 8 points in this quarter, again with few touches, but the turnovers were horrible.

General Thoughts

Despite a significantly less productive group of teammates, it seemed that Kareem would be able to turn games 2 and 4 into upsets. Unfortunately for the Lakers, their flaws were too great, and the Blazers won the 4th quarters in both games by exploiting the Lakers lack of ball handling (plus Herm Gilliam's game 2 brilliance). It's worth understanding why the lack of ball handling proved to be so crippling. It goes far beyond the turnovers. To see why, we will look at the 80s Lakers.

The 80s Lakers would often try to occupy the defense before throwing the ball to Kareem. Here's a few examples:

• They would have Kareem set baseline screens, then reverse the screen, so that Kareem was now posting up.

• The Lakers would begin a PnR with Kareem on the weak side, and if Kareem's man sagged towards the strong side, quickly rotate the ball at the same time that Kareem seals his man in the low post.

• The Lakers would set pin downs for Byron Scott, so if the on-ball defender fronted the post, it was trivial for the ball handler to pass to whoever sprung open (whether Byron Scott or one of the screeners).

The '77 Lakers couldn't do any of this. Even just a high-low counter was too much. The overall effect was that Kareem was pushed out towards the top of the key, since without these very simple preliminary actions and counters, the Blazers were free to aggressively front the post or even just double/triple team Kareem.

All this forced Kareem into harder shots and reduced his volume. For context, while 8 points is not exactly a low volume quarter, it was for Kareem who I find typically had much higher volume in close games (see the last 6 minutes of 1984 finals game 7 for an example). Together with the jump shot baiting, the Blazers got the Lakers to shift their offense far away from Kareem.

This was a massive coaching and matchup success for the Blazers. But very few teams had ball handling problems so severe as the Lakers.

While not the purpose of this post, I have to comment on the Walton vs Kareem matchup. This series was decisively in Kareem's favor. In the past there's been plenty of arguments about who peaked higher and somehow this series has become a sticking point against Kareem. For the record, I think there is an argument, but this series certainly isn't evidence. Kareem was better on both ends.

I don't see it discussed much, but how come Kareem's efficiency doesn't drop much as he aged, when he so clearly was less able as a scorer? The answer is written above. The Lakers fixed their crucial flaws and that helped Kareem sustain his scoring. I have to wonder how his peak would have looked had he played with better ball handlers and passers.
"My career stats should have been way higher than they are." - MWP
"Indeed, Lebron is like a vampire sucking the blood from the youth to keep himself going." - milesfides
70sFan
RealGM
Posts: 12,698
And1: 8,682
Joined: Aug 11, 2015
 

Re: Game Footage Link Thread 

Post#868 » by 70sFan » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:01 am

Blackmill wrote:Rewatched 1977 Blazers vs. Lakers, Games 2 & 4 (for the 8th time?).

Worth noting is both games 2 and 4 were close entering the 4th quarter. In game 2 the Lakers led by 7 while in game 4 the Blazers led by 6. So it was interesting for me to explore why the Lakers lost these games. These quarters were very fun to watch. Here's a summary accompanied with some analysis.

Game 2

In game 2, the Lakers started the 4th quarter with Kareem on the bench. They made a basket on the first play, pushing the lead to 9 points, but they followed that up by committing 3 consecutive turnovers and the lead was cut to 5. A theme throughout this series was the Lakers lack of playmaking and ball handling from the guards. They were severely lacking in these areas by any standard.

The next several minutes were simply an instance of one team making shots and the other team missing. The Blazers went on a stretch of hot shooting, draining 5/6 long 2s, mostly thanks to Herm Gilliam. Meanwhile the Lakers missed 4 wide open shots. Somehow the Lakers were still up by 5, thanks to Kareem, who had returned to the game. He stifled several attempts at the rim, while drawing fouls, passing to open cutters, and making his own shots.

Still, Herm was having the quarter of his career, and continued to drain shot after shot. This included a remarkable "karate kick", off balance jumper to bring the Blazers within 1. What a moment for him! At this point, there's 3:00 left in the game. The Blazers catch a break as a ticky-tack foul is called on Kareem late in the shot clock, giving the Blazers another chance to score, which Bill Walton capitalizes on. The Blazers now have the lead with a little over 2:00 left in the game, but unfortunately the footage ends here.

I don't know if it was intentional, but the Blazers succeeding at baiting the Lakers into a long range shooting contest. They aggressively pressured the ball handler while often having a player leave his man to threaten any post entry pass, creating several turnovers, but even when this pressure lead to breakdowns it seemed to favor the Blazers. These breakdowns usually led to open jumpers, but the Lakers back court was not going to beat the Blazers in a shooting contest, not with how Herm was playing.

The Lakers chance to win, and how they had built a lead, was by playing through Kareem. Each time they took a jump shot without Kareem touching the ball was a victory for the Blazers. It's worth noting that Kareem was extremely effective when he did touch the ball in the 4th. He scored 8 points in this quarter on very few touches. Gilliam shot brilliantly, the Blazers preyed upon the Lakers ball handlers, and Kareem had as good a quarter as you can expect with everything else falling apart.

Game 4

In game 4, the Lakers started the quarter down by 6. Kareem had five fouls, and per the commentators, the Blazers lead was unsurprisingly developed with Kareem on the bench. Like in game 2, the Lakers backcourt made several turnovers to start the 4th, and would continue to do so until the end of the game. The Lakers also didn't learn from their previous losses, as they were again baited into long jumpers rather than playing through Kareem.

Kareem was very effective at defending Walton in this quarter. Walton would only go 2-7 against Kareem. And crucially, the Lakers fast break had most of its success on Walton misses, since he was more likely to be out of the play. Either 3 or 4 of these Walton misses lead to successful fast breaks. This was maybe the only positive contribution by the Lakers back court. Aside from shutting down Walton, Kareem erased five or six plays at the rim in this quarter between blocked shots and general deterrence, and seized several 50/50 rebounds.

The quarter is ugly for the Lakers offense with a lot a "hot potato" by the Lakers guards as they tried to figure out the Blazers ball pressure. There's no standout play from either side compared to the 4th quarter in game 2. The play is scrappy and both sides struggle to score. Kareem makes two brutal turnovers down the stretch. There are too many bodies around him and all the Lakers and Blazers are packed into the paint. That said, and the Lakers are only down by 5 points and there's two minutes left.

Kareem smartly doubles Hollins off Walton with the shot clock running out, and forces a violation. Unbelievably, Newman forces a contested jump shot on the following Lakers possession. At this point the footage starts to become corrupted, but we see Kareem makes at least one more shot, though it's not enough for them to comeback as only a minute or so remains. I believe Kareem scored 8 points in this quarter, again with few touches, but the turnovers were horrible.

General Thoughts

Despite a significantly less productive group of teammates, it seemed that Kareem would be able to turn games 2 and 4 into upsets. Unfortunately for the Lakers, their flaws were too great, and the Blazers won the 4th quarters in both games by exploiting the Lakers lack of ball handling (plus Herm Gilliam's game 2 brilliance). It's worth understanding why the lack of ball handling proved to be so crippling. It goes far beyond the turnovers. To see why, we will look at the 80s Lakers.

The 80s Lakers would often try to occupy the defense before throwing the ball to Kareem. Here's a few examples:

• They would have Kareem set baseline screens, then reverse the screen, so that Kareem was now posting up.

• The Lakers would begin a PnR with Kareem on the weak side, and if Kareem's man sagged towards the strong side, quickly rotate the ball at the same time that Kareem seals his man in the low post.

• The Lakers would set pin downs for Byron Scott, so if the on-ball defender fronted the post, it was trivial for the ball handler to pass to whoever sprung open (whether Byron Scott or one of the screeners).

The '77 Lakers couldn't do any of this. Even just a high-low counter was too much. The overall effect was that Kareem was pushed out towards the top of the key, since without these very simple preliminary actions and counters, the Blazers were free to aggressively front the post or even just double/triple team Kareem.

All this forced Kareem into harder shots and reduced his volume. For context, while 8 points is not exactly a low volume quarter, it was for Kareem who I find typically had much higher volume in close games (see the last 6 minutes of 1984 finals game 7 for an example). Together with the jump shot baiting, the Blazers got the Lakers to shift their offense far away from Kareem.

This was a massive coaching and matchup success for the Blazers. But very few teams had ball handling problems so severe as the Lakers.

While not the purpose of this post, I have to comment on the Walton vs Kareem matchup. This series was decisively in Kareem's favor. In the past there's been plenty of arguments about who peaked higher and somehow this series has become a sticking point against Kareem. For the record, I think there is an argument, but this series certainly isn't evidence. Kareem was better on both ends.

I don't see it discussed much, but how come Kareem's efficiency doesn't drop much as he aged, when he so clearly was less able as a scorer? The answer is written above. The Lakers fixed their crucial flaws and that helped Kareem sustain his scoring. I have to wonder how his peak would have looked had he played with better ball handlers and passers.


Excellent post, I agree with pretty much everything you said.

Two weeks ago, I got a game one from this series and it's almost full. Would you like to watch it and analyze in similar way?
Blackmill
Senior
Posts: 512
And1: 463
Joined: May 03, 2015

Re: Game Footage Link Thread 

Post#869 » by Blackmill » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:41 am

70sFan wrote:Two weeks ago, I got a game one from this series and it's almost full. Would you like to watch it and analyze in similar way?


Absolutely! That would be awesome and much appreciated.
"My career stats should have been way higher than they are." - MWP
"Indeed, Lebron is like a vampire sucking the blood from the youth to keep himself going." - milesfides
70sFan
RealGM
Posts: 12,698
And1: 8,682
Joined: Aug 11, 2015
 

Re: Game Footage Link Thread 

Post#870 » by 70sFan » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:15 am

Blackmill wrote:
70sFan wrote:Two weeks ago, I got a game one from this series and it's almost full. Would you like to watch it and analyze in similar way?


Absolutely! That would be awesome and much appreciated.

I will try to upload it today then.
70sFan
RealGM
Posts: 12,698
And1: 8,682
Joined: Aug 11, 2015
 

Re: Game Footage Link Thread 

Post#871 » by 70sFan » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:15 am

Blackmill wrote:
70sFan wrote:Two weeks ago, I got a game one from this series and it's almost full. Would you like to watch it and analyze in similar way?


Absolutely! That would be awesome and much appreciated.


70sFan
RealGM
Posts: 12,698
And1: 8,682
Joined: Aug 11, 2015
 

Re: Game Footage Link Thread 

Post#872 » by 70sFan » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:14 pm

Blackmill wrote:...


Have you seen the game? What are your thoughts?
Blackmill
Senior
Posts: 512
And1: 463
Joined: May 03, 2015

Re: Game Footage Link Thread 

Post#873 » by Blackmill » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:33 pm

70sFan wrote:
Blackmill wrote:...


Have you seen the game? What are your thoughts?


I have. Thanks very much for uploading. I usually like to watch a game twice before arriving at any conclusions. First watch I just want to get a big picture, and more importantly, enjoy the game without being too analytical. But I do keep note of who I think did or didn't play well, and also, what was the "story" for each quarter. The second time I watch a game I pay more attention to the small details and why the game played out as it did. That's why I haven't posted any thoughts -- I still have to watch the game a second time -- which I plan to do this evening or tomorrow. Anyways, I'll be sure to post about it in this thread. Thanks again!
"My career stats should have been way higher than they are." - MWP
"Indeed, Lebron is like a vampire sucking the blood from the youth to keep himself going." - milesfides
Blackmill
Senior
Posts: 512
And1: 463
Joined: May 03, 2015

Re: Game Footage Link Thread 

Post#874 » by Blackmill » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:30 am

70sFan wrote:
Blackmill wrote:
70sFan wrote:Two weeks ago, I got a game one from this series and it's almost full. Would you like to watch it and analyze in similar way?


Absolutely! That would be awesome and much appreciated.




Massive thanks to 70sFan for finding and uploading this quality footage.


Rick Barry's Pre-Game Predictions

Rick Barry was invited to commentate the game. Barry made a few observations just before tip off.

I think that Portland will present the same types of problems that we did when we played our best basketball. That is a pressure type of defense on the Lakers guards all over the court, trying to force Kareem out a little bit higher.


This was my first time watching game 1, so I was unaware of this commentary, but this what I had to say about games 2 and 4 in my previous write up.

Unfortunately for the Lakers, their flaws were too great, and the Blazers won the 4th quarters in both games by exploiting the Lakers lack of ball handling... The overall effect was that Kareem was pushed out towards the top of the key.


Barry also said this about the matchup,

A very important factor here also, Brent, would be that we caused a lot of problems [for the Lakers] when we got the ball inbounds and up the floor quickly. This is something that the Trail Blazers do exceptionally well.


This also proved true.


Brief Game Summary

A poor start by Kareem, bad transition defense, some off shooting, and turnovers by the Lakers led to a significant lead for the Blazers early on. In the third and early fourth, fewer turnovers, Kareem taking more shots, better outside shooting (especially from Tatum), and a much more casual Blazers defense set up a possible comeback. The game wouldn't play out like this, though, as the Blazers cleaned up their mistakes and Walton was able to find holes in the Lakers defense with his passing.


More Details

Barry's game predictions proved accurate from the very first possession. On the tip off, Earl Tatum ran towards the Lakers basket before the ball had been secured, and since Portland ultimately retrieved the ball, Lionel Hollins was left undefended and behind the Lakers defense. The very next possession, Portland advances the ball off of Kareem's miss, and Chaney fails to stay in the play. Already the Blazers have scored twice in transition. This would be typical throughout the whole game.

Also featured from the very beginning was the Blazers ball pressure. The Blazers began pressuring the guards at half court with Hollins or Davis typically leading the effort. The Blazers trapped when the game was closer, and on some possessions, switched so that Hollins could follow whoever had the ball. As mentioned, this was to push Kareem out, waste the shot clock, and force turnovers. Especially to start the game, the Lakers were totally unprepared. The Laker guards wanted to escape the ball pressure rather than beat it. They waited passively for other players to become open, which didn't happen often, and settled for long jumpers with no real advantage.

Kareem had a very poor start. He missed two easy opportunities. A layup after spinning off Walton, and a putback attempt, which he tries to finesse when he should have dunked the ball. He also gave up three offensive rebounds in the first quarter and wasn't great on rotations. All of this helped put the Lakers down by double digits early in the quarter. Throughout the game, Kareem appeared somewhat disengaged, though I'm sure the Lakers trouble with getting him the ball didn't help. Even when the Blazers pressure wasn't active, the Lakers missed several good post entry opportunities. Kareem did become more involved offensively as the game progressed but he never seemed to be giving his full effort.

Walton's renowned passing had mixed success at first. Early on, he made two classic Walton-esque passes for layups, but another two were turnovers. He showed himself to be the better rebounder than Kareem. Several times he would swoop in to the grab the ball just as it left the rim and before Kareem was off the floor. Rick Barry even said Walton had the best timing for rebounds he had ever seen. Walton was most effective in the fourth, though, where he delivered five or six passes for layups (of which I believe four were made). Chaney had a lot of trouble sticking to his man and was the culprit defender on many of these plays.

Also, the Blazers were a very fun team to watch. Check out the possession starting at 7:50 (Part 1).

Final Thoughts

Kareem played poorly. Comparing this game to games 2 and 4, there's a huge difference in his activity on both ends of the court, and especially defensively. There was mention of Kareem having migraines before the game, though the report was these had passed, but perhaps there were lingering effects. Otherwise I'm unsure why he seemed so lethargic.

On the other hand, this was probably Walton's best game I've seen from this series. He had much more success with his passing. While Walton's passing did depend on the defense making a mistake, and I don't think the alternative of Walton isolating is great offense, it's worth noting that this type of play ("observe then pass" instead of "attack then pass") is arguably much more effective at the center position. Because Walton was a capable outside shooter when open, Kareem didn't like to leave him too much space, so crucially there was often no rim protection when Walton delivered the ball. Plus Walton's height and position on the floor aided in successfully delivering these passes. As such, his passes tended to have high value and high success rate, so while a guard doing the same from the perimeter might need the defense to make mistakes en masse, I think Walton didn't and avoids some of the issues I have with "observe then pass" style of play. Though when the defense did make mistakes en masse, as the Lakers did, they sure paid for it.

Finally, Barry was spot on with his predictions. Ball pressure and transition play were at the heart of the Blazers strategy.
"My career stats should have been way higher than they are." - MWP
"Indeed, Lebron is like a vampire sucking the blood from the youth to keep himself going." - milesfides
User avatar
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 16,180
And1: 17,700
Joined: Sep 07, 2010

Re: Game Footage Link Thread 

Post#875 » by Clyde Frazier » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:33 pm

Haven't had a chance to check these links yet, but if they work it's 12 full games of young sabonis. Will take a look tonight.

Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter
70sFan
RealGM
Posts: 12,698
And1: 8,682
Joined: Aug 11, 2015
 

Re: Game Footage Link Thread 

Post#876 » by 70sFan » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:14 pm



I'm posting it here for two reasons:

1. I've never seen this interview before and Russell talked a bit about the state 2009 NBA. He said that Duncan was the best defensive player in the league then and that he's the closest player Russell as far as style and impact. He also said that James shouldn't have been the offense of Cavs team and that Cleveland needed point guard.

2. This interview was taken in Poland and that's my country :D
70sFan
RealGM
Posts: 12,698
And1: 8,682
Joined: Aug 11, 2015
 

Re: Game Footage Link Thread 

Post#877 » by 70sFan » Sun Feb 2, 2020 5:35 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:Special upload for you...




Colbinii wrote:..and for you.


70sFan
RealGM
Posts: 12,698
And1: 8,682
Joined: Aug 11, 2015
 

Re: Game Footage Link Thread 

Post#878 » by 70sFan » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:24 pm



https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/197605140CLE.html

Total defensive domination from old Thurmond, he limited Cowens to horrendous shooting night (5/20) and blocked/altered tons of shots inside (finished with 6 blocks). If you doubt Thurmond mobility, watch him blocking fast Cowens on drive (and keep in mind that he was 34 in this game, after tough career full of bigger and smaller injuries).

He also showed some range on his shot with two near-three point line bombs! :D
User avatar
wojoaderge
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,761
And1: 635
Joined: Jul 27, 2015

Re: Game Footage Link Thread 

Post#879 » by wojoaderge » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:44 pm

"Coach, why don't you just relax? We're not good enough to beat the Lakers. We've had a great year, why don't you just relax and cool down?"
Blackmill
Senior
Posts: 512
And1: 463
Joined: May 03, 2015

Re: Game Footage Link Thread 

Post#880 » by Blackmill » Mon Mar 2, 2020 8:58 pm

I don't actually know how actively people watch old footage. So maybe this won't get many replies. But with other forums you'll often see weekly threads like "What are You Reading/Drinking/Eating". I figured why not ask what are you watching? You can say as much or as little as you want about the actual footage. But a few words on if you enjoyed the game (and maybe why) would be appreciated. So would a link if possible. Anyways...

WAYW (What are You Watching) - Week 1

I'll cheat and include a game I watched yesterday (and several times in years past). It's Monday morning so it's not like I've had much time to watch footage this week. The game is 1980 NBA finals, game 2. Probably one of Kareem's best offensive games. It seemed like he couldn't miss and his passing was excellent. Defense was typical for 1980 playoffs Kareem. Definitely a recommended game for Kareem's incredible shot making and the close finish. But it doesn't quite make it into my all time favorite games. Mostly because I like games which are close from start to finish and this game was anything but that for the first half.



My game for today is a 2004 Spurs vs. Timberwolves game. So far it's been very fun watching Duncan and Garnett match up. This is one of my absolute favorite match ups. I know 2004 is considered a worse year for Duncan than 2003, but through the first quarter, I feel like both players brought their best game. While I haven't finished watching the game, this will make it into my all time favorites if both teams continue to play well, and the game remains close. Watching both Duncan and Garnett at their best is just too good.

"My career stats should have been way higher than they are." - MWP
"Indeed, Lebron is like a vampire sucking the blood from the youth to keep himself going." - milesfides

Return to Player Comparisons